Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about club level for a trip my wife and I are taking in May. I personally could not justify the additional cost for the little you get.

There is a thread about it somewhere. Check it out.

I need some help making a decision. We are a family of 5 (myself, hubby, three kids ages 14, 11, and 5) planning on staying at the Wilderness this spring. We can't decide between a Studio Villa or a Deluxe Room Club Level. Also can't decide about the meal plan. We stayed at the Wilderness in 2010 and loved it, but we were a family of 4 then in a regular non-club level room. Stayed at PORS in 2014 with the meal plan, but disliked how small the rooms were, the lack of a balcony, how spread out the resort is, and how long we had to wait for the buses, etc. So, we know we will enjoy the Wilderness, but is the Club Level worth it? Also the meal plan is so pricey now that we have 4 Disney adults--is it worth it? Thanks for any input!!!!

I can't comment on the villa but can on Deluxe Rooms/CL. We just stayed in a Deluxe Room back in November. I posted a bunch about the room and new CL lounge starting around 11/28 over on the CL thread if that is of any interest to you. My posts were over a few days.

"Worth" when it comes to CL is very subjective. For us, it is very much worth it but not really in the "financial" sense, more the "convenience" part of it (which I can elaborate on if you'd like). You'll never make the math work if you compare what you'd pay OOP for food/drink vs. the extra costs of CL, generally speaking.

A lot depends on your touring style to some extent. We're about 60/40 parks/resorts, maybe even 50/50. We're not commandos. So we tend to be "around" the resort frequently and therefore take advantage of CL.

Most folks will tell you DDP and CL is way overkill, and I tend to agree. Some do it and like it, but it would be way too much food for us. When we stay CL, we almost always have breakfast in the lounge each day. We're not always there for snacks, apps, or desserts depending on that day's plan, but often are for at least one of the other services.

FWIW, we LOVED the new CL lounge that just opened and thought the food was among the best, if not THE best, of the CLs we've experienced.

That's just skimming the surface of your question I guess, but happy to be more detailed if needed.

Happy planning!

I can't comment on the villa but can on Deluxe Rooms/CL. We just stayed in a Deluxe Room back in November. I posted a bunch about the room and new CL lounge starting around 11/28 over on the CL thread if that is of any interest to you. My posts were over a few days.

"Worth" when it comes to CL is very subjective. For us, it is very much worth it but not really in the "financial" sense, more the "convenience" part of it (which I can elaborate on if you'd like). You'll never make the math work if you compare what you'd pay OOP for food/drink vs. the extra costs of CL, generally speaking.

A lot depends on your touring style to some extent. We're about 60/40 parks/resorts, maybe even 50/50. We're not commandos. So we tend to be "around" the resort frequently and therefore take advantage of CL.

Most folks will tell you DDP and CL is way overkill, and I tend to agree. Some do it and like it, but it would be way too much food for us. When we stay CL, we almost always have breakfast in the lounge each day. We're not always there for snacks, apps, or desserts depending on that day's plan, but often are for at least one of the other services.

FWIW, we LOVED the new CL lounge that just opened and thought the food was among the best, if not THE best, of the CLs we've experienced.

That's just skimming the surface of your question I guess, but happy to be more detailed if needed.

Happy planning!

Thank you for all the pictures! What a big help!

Doing a trip with my two sisters at an Epcot resort in April, and now one sister wants to add an extra night on the front end and stay at WL! I've stayed there twice before and love it, but she has never stayed there! It will be a short stay but fun!

My family's last stay was last April, and I think the other wing was closed at that time! Now I'm reading back the last few pages to get caught up on all of the recent construction changes! Interested to see about the dining options! I look forward to catching up and reading people's reports! Thanks!

Has anyone stayed in a DVC studio villa with a view of wishes? What was your room number?
Most of the DVC villas on the lake side have at least a partial (and I do mean only partial) view of Wishes. As the main Lodge stands in the way of the fireworks, you will only see the higher explosions. It stands to reason that the higher floors will get a little better view than the lower. . .but not by a lot. The very best spot from that side of the Lodge is about half a mile down the nature trail (much of said trail is currently closed due to construction, of course) where it has gradually made a left turn to follow the lake's shore. There is a break in the trees where you can stand to watch Wishes. From that angle, the fireworks are directly over CR, and you get most of the show, too. Naturally, getting there in the dark can be problematic and with the construction even more so, and if you are squeamish about knowing you are running around at night with all manners of critters about, then this might not be a good option. But, it is fairly awesome.

Most of the DVC villas on the lake side have at least a partial (and I do mean only partial) view of Wishes. As the main Lodge stands in the way of the fireworks, you will only see the higher explosions. It stands to reason that the higher floors will get a little better view than the lower. . .but not by a lot. The very best spot from that side of the Lodge is about half a mile down the nature trail (much of said trail is currently closed due to construction, of course) where it has gradually made a left turn to follow the lake's shore. There is a break in the trees where you can stand to watch Wishes. From that angle, the fireworks are directly over CR, and you get most of the show, too. Naturally, getting there in the dark can be problematic and with the construction even more so, and if you are squeamish about knowing you are running around at night with all manners of critters about, then this might not be a good option. But, it is fairly awesome.

Critters! :sad2: You lost me there haha. Thanks for the advice :thanks:

Looking into Christmas villa rentals and we're torn between savannah view AK and standard view Wilderness. Which would you choose?

Critters! :sad2: You lost me there haha. Thanks for the advice :thanks:
Well, to be fair, I never saw any critters; however, given that it IS the south, in general, and Florida, in particular, I'm assuming there might be a few out. Originally coming from the south myself, I'm not overly worried about such things, but I know many are and, thus, my mild warning. pirate: If you're content with seeing some of the higher explosions and (due to current construction) great views of EWP, then the lake view side of the Villas will serve you well.

What kind of critter? We have seen raccoons, possums and one armadillo over the past 15 years.
Well, I've seen everything from deer to hawks (on the ground with a mouse in his/her talons) and much in between. However, I simply meant that there might be some nocturnal creatures that would scare some folks such as those you mention or crawling critters that would creep out a few. At night, I've never run across anything that bothered me, but the possibility certainly exists.

Looking into Christmas villa rentals and we're torn between savannah view AK and standard view Wilderness. Which would you choose?

I'd choose Wilderness Lodge in a heartbeat. You can't beat the Christmas decorations in both the Villas and the Main Lodge. BEAUTIFUL...just a sample...

P1030080_zpszde8qjpp.jpg

P1140708_zpsi4xenw0n.jpg
:tink:

It's a close call between AKL and WL at Christmas, but I have to agree with goopysolelady that my choice would be WL. Upfront I will say that I am biased. Both are gorgeously decorated, though WL's holiday bling seems a little more appropriate to the surroundings. The savannah rooms are extremely cool, but the proximity to MK, CR, and FW tips the scales in WL's favor.

Last edited:
So with the construction, has Disney eliminated the woods view category? If so, are those rooms now classified under a standard view?

Hi all - great thread!

Staying at WL 3/18 to 3/21 and excited/nervous to see all that's going on.

Quick question on the Splash Pad area: Do they strictly enforce the 48 inch rule? I ask because I have a very big 5 year old DD (probably 50'') who will be really sad not to play on the splash pad, especially since she has a very small 4 year old little brother who will fit unde 48 inches. Have stayed at the Poly before and she may have been 48+ at the time and they did not say anything to us or others who appeared over 48 inches. She knows how to be careful around the little ones.

Thanks!

I need some help making a decision. We are a family of 5 (myself, hubby, three kids ages 14, 11, and 5) planning on staying at the Wilderness this spring. We can't decide between a Studio Villa or a Deluxe Room Club Level. Also can't decide about the meal plan. We stayed at the Wilderness in 2010 and loved it, but we were a family of 4 then in a regular non-club level room. Stayed at PORS in 2014 with the meal plan, but disliked how small the rooms were, the lack of a balcony, how spread out the resort is, and how long we had to wait for the buses, etc. So, we know we will enjoy the Wilderness, but is the Club Level worth it? Also the meal plan is so pricey now that we have 4 Disney adults--is it worth it? Thanks for any input!!!!
As far as the dining plan, you really have to crunch the numbers to see. I printed off all the menus of the places we plan to eat, picked what I would most likely choose and let my DH pick what he would most likely choose and picked what the kids will probably share. I will add it all up and see what I get. Most likely, we will not get it (I'll just buy discounted gift cards from Target to use instead) bc we had it last year and it was just too much food, as well as the fact that we don't really eat like that. I'm much more of a grazer and don't like to eat big meals. I prefer small meals and snacks throughout the day. Also, my boys don't eat much.

We are going in February. I crunched the numbers and found that we would have to eat the most expensive things in order to save money on the dining plan. Remeber Disney isn't going to give a dining plan unless they are making money on it.

I was thinking of club level as well. The only appealing part of it was the food and drinks they give you. But again, it isn't worh th hundreds of extra dollars a day to us.

As far as the dining plan, you really have to crunch the numbers to see. I printed off all the menus of the places we plan to eat, picked what I would most likely choose and let my DH pick what he would most likely choose and picked what the kids will probably share. I will add it all up and see what I get. Most likely, we will not get it (I'll just buy discounted gift cards from Target to use instead) bc we had it last year and it was just too much food, as well as the fact that we don't really eat like that. I'm much more of a grazer and don't like to eat big meals. I prefer small meals and snacks throughout the day. Also, my boys don't eat much.

We are going in February. I crunched the numbers and found that we would have to eat the most expensive things in order to save money on the dining plan. Remeber Disney isn't going to give a dining plan unless they are making money on it.

I was thinking of club level as well. The only appealing part of it was the food and drinks they give you. But again, it isn't worh th hundreds of extra dollars a day to us.

I've done the same number crunching with the dining plan! Always figure it would cost us way more, especially because we are all adults. We also would not order a dessert, per person, per meal. And the hard thing about maximizing the credit and ordering the most expensive thing is that you are paying tip on more expensive food that you may not have even wanted in the first place.

Hi all - great thread!

Staying at WL 3/18 to 3/21 and excited/nervous to see all that's going on.

Quick question on the Splash Pad area: Do they strictly enforce the 48 inch rule? I ask because I have a very big 5 year old DD (probably 50'') who will be really sad not to play on the splash pad, especially since she has a very small 4 year old little brother who will fit unde 48 inches. Have stayed at the Poly before and she may have been 48+ at the time and they did not say anything to us or others who appeared over 48 inches. She knows how to be careful around the little ones.

Thanks!

My experience with this at WL and other places like Poly and GF is that enforcement is inconsistent from life guard to life guard. But more often than not they're just making sure no one is being overly rambunctious around younger ones or big teenagers going on those small slides.

I've seen plenty of times they may ask to measure someone and they're close / a little over, and they basically say "just behave." On the other hand, there was one lifeguard at WL in November who was being super strict and turned a couple of "just overs" away. And I've also had times, especially at Poly, where I was close to asking them to enforce the rules rather than have DS constantly being run over by kids way too big to be there.

I'd be ready for anything but so long as DD isn't bulldozing little kids, I'd bet you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter