Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just spent a good portion of the morning reading all about the WL changes! I knew this thread would have every bit of info I needed (@WDWKOOK :thumbsup2).

We had a WL CL stay a few years ago and didn't think we'd be back mainly because we didn't love the room and balcony very much. However, now I'm thinking of booking a deluxe room which will suit our family much better, and we'll also have an "open" panel balcony which will also suit our family better. I'm super excited to hear the lounge will be "new" and I can't wait to see it. Do we think the lounge will have a view or will be enclosed? Any chance of a deluxe room being near a staircase that we can take up to the 7th floor? I think we'll be fine having our room on floors 1-6 -- we all have fitbits and love the stairs! If we were to take the stairs, will the end result place us near the new lounge?

I just came back to add that I am also looking at the deluxe room as an option if I bring mom in the spring. Some floors have enclosed balconies so maybe we(I want an open balcony too) should make that our first request?

DISfriends: my mom is a smoker. She loved poly CL because she could access the lounge for coffee at 6:30 and then out for her morning smoke. Is WL CL convenient ? Would a deluxe room be better or worse?

I would love gf RPC with that nice smoking balcony on the 3rd floor but those prices are insane for next year.

Yes Mike was there last trip, he's a keeper. I miss Jack, think he got promoted to doing the lodge tours?

Jack moved downstairs years ago and is still doing the Lodge tour and greeting arriving guests in the port cochere.

I've just spent a good portion of the morning reading all about the WL changes! I knew this thread would have every bit of info I needed (@WDWKOOK :thumbsup2).

We had a WL CL stay a few years ago and didn't think we'd be back mainly because we didn't love the room and balcony very much. However, now I'm thinking of booking a deluxe room which will suit our family much better, and we'll also have an "open" panel balcony which will also suit our family better. I'm super excited to hear the lounge will be "new" and I can't wait to see it. Do we think the lounge will have a view or will be enclosed? Any chance of a deluxe room being near a staircase that we can take up to the 7th floor? I think we'll be fine having our room on floors 1-6 -- we all have fitbits and love the stairs! If we were to take the stairs, will the end result place us near the new lounge?

Welcome, @TJA!

The advantage of the Deluxe room is the size and balconies, however, they're located on floors 1-6 so you will have to take the elevator every time you want to go up to the lounge. As @GrandCalifornian confirmed, stair access is now restricted. Another OFC advantage now is that there are half as many guests in the lounge.

The views from the Deluxe Rooms would not include any of the MK since they are located on the end of the North Wing and end of the mid-wing, (photos are in the DELUXE ROOM chapter). They all face toward Bay Lake, and those views have become quite obstructed, especially from the Deluxe Rooms closest to the dock. The mid-Lodge DRs currently have a less obstructed view.

The new lounge is supposed to have a view of MK. They are the two honeymoon suites.

That's correct, the new lounge will have a MKV, but unlike CR's Atrium and Tower Clubs and BWI, I don't believe guests will be allowed out on the balcony. They may even remove the existing balconies.

Thank you for sharing! It's all very surreal here at WL. All smiles, Country Bear Jamboree and Brer Bear meet and greets, coloring sheets, games (also on cart for purchase), and bagged candy from MNSSHP. The only thing we've been told is to bring in the table and chairs from outside and to expect communication primarily by phone -- nothing yet. The arcade is still open, as are the restaurants. We had dinner at WC and they're offering the all-you-care-to-eat skillets, and plan to serve breakfast skillets in the morning. Everyone here is on the ride it out crew and our CM says they brought their sleeping bags for the basement and that they'll help sandbag once food runs out. I asked about flashlights and what to do worst case with the slider and was told we'd hear at some point.

Loved your LIVE updates and thanks much for sharing this unique information with everyone, @hbr03. Today looks to be a very normal day, hope you have fun in the parks and low crowds.

View attachment 199541 You gotta love the FB on this day reminders! This was our very first sunrise at WL four years ago today.

Very neat!

Now that I am under 3 months until travel time I am finally letting myself obsess over my upcoming WL stay! We arrive on December 28, staying VWL studio for one night before we move to the main lodge for our platinum package - we may be some of the last guests ever to experience this offering as it goes away for 2017. We will be taking lots of tours and eating lots of yummy signatures to ease the pain of the New Year crowds :cloud9: Kook, if you log me in I will be lodging Dec 28-January 1. It'll have been a full two years by that point since our last stay at Wilderness Lodge and I am really looking forward to our return! :goodvibes

Welcome! Do you know what they're replacing the Plat. Package with? They've had that package for a long time. I know they adjusted it a while back so there was a minimum stay requirement. I hope you plan on totally maxing it out!

What fun - thank you. Even the Daily Mail had some similar photos from someone's Twitter feed. WL is famous!

The tarps were pulled down to stop hurricane winds taking the fences down, so here are some construction pictures.
tNqAOC8.jpg

You can see the steps formed in the concrete for the new quiet pool.
sfxE3qO.jpg

4E97nj1.jpg

Also they have just finished getting the pool furniture back in place from it being stacked and tied down for the hurricane.

Thanks so much for taking these unique photos, @jon18uk. You captured the big reveal:)

I am just not sure if I can make the swap. I love the fact that the location is closer to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail, which would be awesome with such a short trip time wise and the savings of $115, but not sure I would be happy with the view, the lobby and surroundings.

I don't see the monorail proximity as an advantage to staying at WL. The fact that the buses and WL is at about half-capacity is an advantage though. You also need to take into consideration the amenities that are closed and factor whether that would impact your stay. If not, then the potential MKV for the price of a SV is a great perk. As with all TPV rooms, those WL rooms will be very expensive once they are re-categorized.

The tree doesn't go up until the week before Thanksgiving? I thought that once Halloween was over, they put up the decorations for Christmas. Does this not include the resorts?

There is a lottery and each resort is decorated according to its lottery standing, which varies every year.

I just came back to add that I am also looking at the deluxe room as an option if I bring mom in the spring. Some floors have enclosed balconies so maybe we(I want an open balcony too) should make that our first request?

DISfriends: my mom is a smoker. She loved poly CL because she could access the lounge for coffee at 6:30 and then out for her morning smoke. Is WL CL convenient ? Would a deluxe room be better or worse?

I would love gf RPC with that nice smoking balcony on the 3rd floor but those prices are insane for next year.

None of the Deluxe rooms' living room balconies are enclosed, but the bedroom balcony is a very small standing-only balcony with some structural obstructions, (photos in the DELUXE ROOM chapter).

The Hawaii building is smaller than the 6 floors of Deluxe rooms in the North Wing so it would probably take DM a bit longer to get to the lounge since she would have to wait for the elevator, whereas Hawaii, you can use the stairs and it's only 3 floors.

The views from the lounge are obviously also quite different. Overall, I would say the KKC has the best lounge view, and from two floors. CR is also great, but it's much higher up and has less of an expansive view from indoors, unless you go out onto the balcony.

The only DSA I know of at WL is right next to the arcade/bus stop area. Every morning when I would head over to VWL's gym, guests would be smoking there, in the dark. If you're looking for a good view for DM, I don't think those DSA benches would be considered a good view. They face some low-lying plants and a sidewalk to the bus stop with the parking lot over to the right and walkway into WL to the left.

I think I read that they removed some DSAs from Poly, like the one by the Pineapple Lanai-GCH entrance? That DSA was in a bad spot since everyone had to go past the DSA when coming and going from the GCH.

Last edited:
I have thought about the fact that those standard rooms will skyrocket in price in the future with the theme park view but I think I am going to pass though. Another reason being is the fact that the Wilderness Lodge, and POR-AB section feel like home to me and not a vacation. Their themes are exactly how I live here in Georgia. Country/rustic like home on 30 acres in in wooded area with a gorgeous view of the mountains. I like to be in a somewhat different setting.

@trishadono -- Oh good, I'm glad we're both looking for the same rooms/resorts as it will be helpful while planning! I think @WDWKOOK just posted the living room balconies are open for the deluxe rooms, so that's definitely a positive. I'll admit what I'm most worried about is (1) the view from our room -- I love trees in general, but not as our room view, so unless they clear out the trees on the north ends then I'd have to request "mid-wing" deluxe room and hope for the best (if I'm understanding correctly....is there talk about possibly clearing out the north end trees?); and (2) the distance/inconvenience from our room to the lounge -- I wouldn't mind if there were stairs or elevator nearby the room, but it sounds like we'll have to trek a bit (not afraid of walking, but more the inconvenience). Our girls are age 13 now so we've been giving them some freedom to get a snack or drink at the lounge and then back to the room; however, that's easy and quick at Poly and GF. Not sure how we'd feel about this at WL. Other than those 2 things, we already know we love WL itself, and I think the new lounge is going to be fantastic with a nice view. I just can't seem to feel "settled" on the decision :scratchin.

The tree doesn't go up until the week before Thanksgiving? I thought that once Halloween was over, they put up the decorations for Christmas. Does this not include the resorts?

Resort decorating is done on a lottery system; in 2015 WL was the last one! :faint: We were sweating it out that they'd get to it before we left the day before Thanksgiving. We arrived back from DS Sunday...or Monday...around 11 PM and this greeted us...

P1020661_zpsggmcgqnn.jpg

P1020669_zpsjmcctzg7.jpg

P1020684_zps37pgtubl.jpg

P1020686_zps9p29nsu8.jpg

We stayed up until 2 AM watching the "magic" happen; quite a thrill seeing it come together and the next morning....

P1030097_zpsqibeo1r1.jpg

AMAZING! :tink:

Resort decorating is done on a lottery system; in 2015 WL was the last one! :faint: We were sweating it out that they'd get to it before we left the day before Thanksgiving. We arrived back from DS Sunday...or Monday...around 11 PM and this greeted us...

How exciting! Does Disney post the order after the lottery is done? I had no idea they did it that way, but it makes perfect sense!

"The only DSA I know of at WL is right next to the arcade/bus stop area. Every morning when I would head over to VWL's gym, guests would be smoking there, in the dark....."

Disregarding the dark part.... there are TWO DSA's at WL: the aforementioned one, and a smaller DSA outside the back door, VWL. Very close to the entrance/exit at the BACK of Sturdy Branches.

If anything - I expect to see a third, possibly a FORTH, due to Cabin Construction. Why? Several of the cabins are VERY MUCH removed from the two existing DSA's (as they are from the Lodge proper).

Now - what MUST be avoided, for safety, is the potential for hot ash or burning material near the end-loops of the cabins, in what was/will be a forested area with significant underbrush. Of course, we could just "ban" such activity, and threaten to exterminate "those people" :). But that would not remove the potential fire danger..... better to have a practical plan in place :).

Ahead of time - simply a practical safety suggestion, no political agenda, I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong....

Welcome! Do you know what they're replacing the Plat. Package with? They've had that package for a long time. I know they adjusted it a while back so there was a minimum stay requirement. I hope you plan on totally maxing it out!

Thank you! From what I have seen it looks like they are just eliminating the platinum option and now you can pay out of pocket for any tours and recreation in addition to the dining plan options. I wanted to experience some prepaid tours before the chance passes us by so we are doing the three night minimum package with 3 tours, a fireworks cruise, spa treatments, 8 signature meals (including V&A's), and maybe doing room service for the first time. I will be sure to do a report afterward!! Can't wait to experience Wilderness Lodge again at the holidays. The IPO has been awesome helping me get all the reservations - we're not staying CL but you get the IPO included on platinum.

Do you know if the Christmas decorations will be up through New Year's Day? I would assume yes, but just wondering.

We stopped at the WL on Tuesday, October 2016. I took a couple of pictures of the construction progress of the villas pool. It is hard to see from the picture but they are adding a zero entry section to the left. It also looks like the bubbling springs will be back. :)

pool 1.jpg

Last edited:
How exciting! Does Disney post the order after the lottery is done? I had no idea they did it that way, but it makes perfect sense!

No they do not. Nobody outside of the inner circle of "need to know" are informed.

As far as I know the order is not made public. For our 2014 trip, we stayed WL before our cruise and BC after. WL wasn't decorated before the cruise, to our great disappointment. However, the front desk conceirge was able to make a few calls and let us know the approximate dates* for WL, BC, and GF getting decorated (those were the ones we cared about the most). After the cruise we were able to do a "resort holiday decoration crawl" and came to WL to have lunch at RF and see the decorations. :-)

SW

*by approximate dates: they expected BC to be done by X date, GF by Y, and WL by Z, but they may be done earlier or later; IIRC WL was done the day after Z, so it was decorated the last night of our stay at BC. So, while the CM was able to get info on the correct order, one of the dates was slightly off.

Last edited:
Thank you! From what I have seen it looks like they are just eliminating the platinum option and now you can pay out of pocket for any tours and recreation in addition to the dining plan options. I wanted to experience some prepaid tours before the chance passes us by so we are doing the three night minimum package with 3 tours, a fireworks cruise, spa treatments, 8 signature meals (including V&A's), and maybe doing room service for the first time. I will be sure to do a report afterward!! Can't wait to experience Wilderness Lodge again at the holidays. The IPO has been awesome helping me get all the reservations - we're not staying CL but you get the IPO included on platinum.

Do you know if the Christmas decorations will be up through New Year's Day? I would assume yes, but just wondering.

A few years ago we visited from the 2nd through the 9th of January. The Lodge was fully decked out on the 2nd and pretty certain into the 3rd but then the next morning POOF it all vanished! The parks continued to have some décor through most of our trip, it was rather like a treasure hunt to see remains of Christmas by the end.

Several years ago (I think maybe 2010), we arrived at VWL the evening of January 3rd. We were meeting cousins coming from Washington state who had a very late arriving flight around midnight. We waited in the lobby of WL for them to arrive from MCO. About 11:30 p.m. we noticed a lot of activity beginning to happen in lobby. We ended up watching several hours of the "undecorating process". It was pretty amazing to watch the process, how every single item was tagged and crated to be taken to the warehouse. A CM told us it is a special "holiday crew". I don't remember how many people on the crew, but, this crew does ALL of the decorating/undecorating and believe me, they have it down to a science. She also told us any items which need repair/replacement are tagged and noted as such and when they get to the warehouse taken care of so everything is ready to go up next year. When we got up the next morning and walked thru the Lodge there was no indication it had been decorated for Christmas just 10 hours prior.

We are planning on a WL stay June 2017. The last time we stayed at WL was about 14 years ago when we were a family if 4. It's always been one our fav resorts so we're planning a return stay , now being a family of 5. Am I correct that we will have to do a delux room which also means CL? I think the only other option is 2 rooms. We'd like to stay in the main lodge and are hoping a majority of the construction will be completed by then. Any suggestions?

We are planning on a WL stay June 2017. The last time we stayed at WL was about 14 years ago when we were a family if 4. It's always been one our fav resorts so we're planning a return stay , now being a family of 5. Am I correct that we will have to do a delux room which also means CL? I think the only other option is 2 rooms. We'd like to stay in the main lodge and are hoping a majority of the construction will be completed by then. Any suggestions?
A deluxe room would include club level. You could also book a studio at the villas. They sleep five with a Murphy bed.

well, I booked a standard view room Jan 2-5 with the winter discount. Couldn't pass up a glimpse of Christmas for $230 a night :lmao: Considering upgrading to OFC, will it be back up and running regularly by then?

well, I booked a standard view room Jan 2-5 with the winter discount. Couldn't pass up a glimpse of Christmas for $230 a night :lmao: Considering upgrading to OFC, will it be back up and running regularly by then?
I arrive 1/15 and am not sure. I thought I read it would be ready the end of 2016 but Disney is notoriously late. I am planning on the temp lounge. I just posted a nice video a few days ago.

I think I like the idea of the lounges location. Only the north wing open so if you leave your room and head for the lounge from there to the elevators would be a convenient path .

That is a great rate I just really wanted cl for the mom n me portion of our trip.

I love the christmas tree at WL, teepees on the tree makes me smile every time.

Last edited:
I enjoy CL but by my calculations I'd be paying an extra $175 per day, which is a bit much IMO. I'm holding out for a passholder rate but found the $230 too good to pass up. The next cheapest discounted non villa deluxe is YC at $304 and BWI at $306. I offered to move to one of those to my daughter and she was like "Nah". We love WL at the holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter