Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from a 10 day trip to WL CL. There was still scaffolding up on 7 th floor north wing MK side. We had a room on that side and noise was minimal. Lounge was great as well as CMs. It is our favorite. Had a bit more rain than normal but nothing like the weather reports said it would be. Can't wait to return although might have to watch how construction is going. Any questions just ask.

2 weeks until we're home!! Quick question, we will be doing the horseback riding at FW . I know you need to wear tennies (non-open toed shoes) but what about on your legs, do they have requirements on long pants or can you wear shorts? TIA!!
As someone who has ridden horses for over 50 years I would suggest for safety reasons to wear the hardest toed shoe or boots you have with a heel so that your foot won't slip through the stirrup and get caught in case of an emergency. You will also appreciate the extra toe protection in case a hoof gets accidentally stomped on your foot. Long pants will help avoid leg chaffing.
I hope you have a wonderful ride!

I couldn't find anything direct from Disney saying that long pants are required, but some third party sites say they are and we chose to wear long pants when we did the trail ride in 2007 and everyone else did too. Afterward we stopped back by WL and changed back into shorts.
With 2 weeks to go you must be super excited. Congratulations!!!

As someone who has ridden horses for over 50 years I would suggest for safety reasons to wear the hardest toed shoe or boots you have with a heel so that your foot won't slip through the stirrup and get caught in case of an emergency. You will also appreciate the extra toe protection in case a hoof gets accidentally stomped on your foot. Long pants will help avoid leg chaffing.
I hope you have a wonderful ride!

Thanks!

Just checked in!! Beautiful!

We just walked around a bit waiting for our room. Went by the ground floor south wing and saw the rooms blocked off w some scaffolding up. Some chain saw noise. It was brief.

It is pouring rain in buckets!!!

Trying to post a video but can't figure it out.

We just walked around a bit waiting for our room. Went by the ground floor south wing and saw the rooms blocked off w some scaffolding up. Some chain saw noise. It was brief.

Congratulations! The first day at WL is one of the best feelings in the world. With the rain you will particularly enjoy the fact that everything is under one roof.

For sharing video we have done best by uploading the video straight to YouTube and then posting or sharing links to it there. Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

Hi KOOK, long time... :wave2:

I remember pas130 stayed at the Honeymoon Suite and wanted to know if you can tell me more about it? I read your info pages here and saw that the Suite has the jetted tub, but do you (or any one else here) know the square footage and if it has a separate seating area? I am deciding between that and the Deluxe Room which looks quite spacious. We will be celebrating my big-number-birthday celebration soon :faint: (ahem, ahem) and think WL would be a nice celebration spot.

Last edited:
Flashback Friday to that old(er) Disney World commercial where the kids are "too excited to sleep" and so are the parents. Even though I have what feels like a million things to deal with on a daily basis, I am starting to get excited that we will be checking in very soon. To the folks there now, how does the weather seem? I know it rains every day and it's Florida, it's hot and humid. But I've been checking in every now and then and it seems like things are a little cooler than usual for August. (now that I have officially jinxed myself). I just added a park day for the three of us and it added a whopping $31. to my bill. For 3 of us. You can't beat that. and that is with park hopper and water parks and more option. Tried to switch views to woods thinking maybe I might get lucky and face towards MK and maybe catch a glimpse of wishes but she said there wasn't anything for the free dining but I can see in general that there are rooms. She suggested I keep checking and call back. A little pixie dust would be so nice this trip but I'm still happy to be coming home very soon.

We're looking forward to staying at WL again this year. This time DH is coming for longer than just one night! I'll be with my mom and the kiddos at the Poly for a few nights before our WL stay. We were planning on heading to Epcot after checking out of the Poly but before checking into WL. Does anyone know how it works with charging privileges? We like to pay off our balance with gift cards every few days, but I don't know how that would happen if we aren't technically checked into a room at the time we are at Epcot that morning. I guess we could somehow try to go over to WL that AM, but that would really be a pain so early in the morning with 3 kids in tow (we'd both need to go due to there being 2 rooms at WL). Does doing OCI allow you to charge back to your room (in this case WL) without physically having gone there first?

Did you put your credit card number and cell into your OCI for both resorts? I think all you'll need to do is go to the Poly front desk and ask them to check you out and tell them you have a continuing reservation and want to verify that you still have your charging associated with WL, your continuing reservation location. You can also verify this when you check-in at Poly.

We'll be staying in 2 studios Oct. 10-17. We've been to Disney before but have never been to the WL. Staying here is the only thing DH is excited about, so hoping all goes well. I've enjoyed reading this thread to learn all I can before we arrive.

Congratulations on your first stay at VWL and I'll add your dates to the Lodgers' Log:)

DD received a phone call today about the construction around the Villas. The lady seemed quite surprised when she told her, "Yes Ma'am, we're aware of it; we're good...okay with it...won't bother us". :rotfl: She asked again if she had any concerns about noise and views...she again said "No, we're fine. We love the Villas and our vacation is for the parks...will only be sleeping at the Villas so construction noise was no big deal". The lady could only say...WOW...thank you! :rotfl2: Bless their hearts...they must be dealing with a lot from others. :rotfl2: She and DGD's will be in the Villas; other DD and I will be in the main lodge and we're ALL extremely excited to be at WL during the Holidays.

DD made her day!

I'm loving WL! DH and I are so pleased with the resort and are having a great time! It is really is very nice, lovely and just has a very relaxing vibe to me. After my girls went to bed last night, I left DH in the room with them and snuck out and explored and enjoyed a S'mores cupcake alone, heaven!! I'm pretty sure we've found our home away from home :love:

Our room is on the North Wing and I did see some scaffolding if I lean out of my balcony, but it's not obtrusive at all. It's definitely not going to bother us. We're in a SV room and even have a good view of wishes! There's also a free dining bounce back that's really tempting me, DH needs some convincing, but I can talk him into most anything!

I hope you were able to sneak out and get more cupcakes. How did the BB go?

We leave for a quick surprise trip to WDW in just 7 days! We previously booked a pool view room at AKL, but I've been checking the website to see what else pops up with an AP discount for our dates. Just this morning, AP rate for WL courtyard view became available for only $19 more/night than our AKL pool view. We made the switch!! So excited!

Two things:

1. We've either stayed CL at WL or woods view. I just called CRO to request "high floor, inner courtyard." Also requested "highest floor" through online check-in. Decided not to request "close to elevator" because the other two requests are more important to us. But if anyone had a villas view and loved it, I'd love to hear about it so that I know what to expect either way!

2. When I talked with CRO, the CM informed me that we could use our old AKL luggage tags because they scan the barcode at the airport and will know to send them to WL. Has anyone done this before? Thinking we might give it a try and just change AKL to WL and AK area to MK area with a sharpie as an extra precaution. I know we could pick up our luggage at the airport, but we don't really need it until late that night, will have all necessary items in carry on, etc.

Welcome back!

Checking back in after losing my grandmother a week ago. So many updates. We I've the 27th and haven't gotten any email but we did get our first band shipment. Second one coming today. Getting ready to call in my request for room location. Have cyv booked. I'd like to see wishes if possible. Should I just say that our should I ask for a more specific location?
Also, my DBIL happened to be planning their next trip to dw and were considering wl but couldn't book a room for his dates next year. Asked me what was up. We just happened to pick wl for our trip this year and thanks to this thread I could fill him in on all that was going down.

Pixarmom - we changed resorts close to check in and had wrong me tags also. No problem getting our luggage but I did what you were planning also just in case. They scan the bar code and as long as your reservation is correct in the system, your stuff will get there too.

My condolences on the loss of your DGM.

We will be checking in at WL CL this Friday! So excited!
This is our first time staying here and we can't wait!
Quick question: Can I order take out from Whispering Canyon for lunch/dinner?

I hope your travels went smoothly and you're all settled. Yes, you can walk up and order to-go. I've never done it, but I thought I've read that you can.

We booked our WL trip for 1/24-31. My daughters' first WDW trip, and first on-site stay! My TA was aware of the construction, but she sent me the email she received and we decided on a woods view room. Guess when we get closer I know now to request a higher floor, north wing! Thank you so much for this thread, so much information.

I just received my letter today letting me know about the construction from Disney Destinations. Havn't checked me email yet, though.

Welcome and I'll log your dates. Definitely request a North Wing room. You can add your request anytime to your reservation by contacting your TA.

Thank you so much for your reply and the information provided. Yes, even the Disney booking agent I booked the room through couldn't believe it was so inexpensive. We were really thankful we got such a good price at a Deluxe, period.

A-ha! I couldn't believe that the CL rooms would had views of the parking lots, but I could never find specific information on views beyond calling the resort (and as weird as it sounds, I didn't want to be one of THOSE people).

I have since sent an email to our IPO numbering our requests. Courtyard/Pool view is first (not picky on wing), then Magic Kingdom View in north wing. However, simply knowing I won't have to stare at the delivery area makes it all okay!

Thank you again for all your insight! I really appreciate it!

- Annalisk

You're welcome!

Request Inner Courtyard for a view of the theme pool and geyser, there is also a courtyard view that overlooks the quiet pool which is starting refurbishment soon

The OP booked CL so there aren't any VWL/CYV rooms on the CL floor. The 7th floor wings stop mid-Lodge and don't extend down to Bay Lake. The South Wing 7th floor rooms that face VWL are classified as Woods View. The 7th floor CYV rooms are all inner/WL.

I have 2 more full days before we leave for the lodge!! Just got off work and i'm beat - I just want to throw in some laundry and wish that pile of random things on my bedroom floor magically into a suitcase! Ugh I need to get the suitcases out of the attic! I hate this part :rolleyes1 I'm so excited I can't stand it and all of a sudden I feel like I've forgotten everything I ever learned here on the DIS!!!

HAHA, you just had a case of the last minute detail jitters. Hope you're having a wonderful stay.

Just returned from a 10 day trip to WL CL. There was still scaffolding up on 7 th floor north wing MK side. We had a room on that side and noise was minimal. Lounge was great as well as CMs. It is our favorite. Had a bit more rain than normal but nothing like the weather reports said it would be. Can't wait to return although might have to watch how construction is going. Any questions just ask.

Thank you for posting an update about the scaffolding and your OFC stay.

2 weeks till check in! Can't wait!

Two weeks from today for us, too and now even less for you;)

Sorry about all the buckets of rain - enjoy WL and WDW!

Hi KOOK, long time... :wave2:

I remember pas130 stayed at the Honeymoon Suite and wanted to know if you can tell me more about it? I read your info pages here and saw that the Suite has the jetted tub, but do you (or any one else here) know the square footage and if it has a separate seating area? I am deciding between that and the Deluxe Room which looks quite spacious. We will be celebrating my big-number-birthday celebration soon :faint: (ahem, ahem) and think WL would be a nice celebration spot.

Howdy, Stranger! BTW, @pas130 is leaving tonight on her FL adventure!

The HS doesn't have any extra square footage or a sitting area like the Deluxe rooms. They also have dormer balconies with no railings so you have to be standing to see out. IMHO, the Deluxe rooms have much better views and offer two balconies, but they don't have any kings. None of the Deluxe rooms are located on the 7th floor, and they do cost quite a bit more than a HS, but they are about 200 SF bigger and accommodate 6 instead of 2.

Flashback Friday to that old(er) Disney World commercial where the kids are "too excited to sleep" and so are the parents. Even though I have what feels like a million things to deal with on a daily basis, I am starting to get excited that we will be checking in very soon. To the folks there now, how does the weather seem? I know it rains every day and it's Florida, it's hot and humid. But I've been checking in every now and then and it seems like things are a little cooler than usual for August. (now that I have officially jinxed myself). I just added a park day for the three of us and it added a whopping $31. to my bill. For 3 of us. You can't beat that. and that is with park hopper and water parks and more option. Tried to switch views to woods thinking maybe I might get lucky and face towards MK and maybe catch a glimpse of wishes but she said there wasn't anything for the free dining but I can see in general that there are rooms. She suggested I keep checking and call back. A little pixie dust would be so nice this trip but I'm still happy to be coming home very soon.

The word of the day is "rainy," and lots of it. It can be a plan changer, but it's that way every August. Just be prepared to venture out in the rain and you'll be fine. It stops eventually:rolleyes2

Heading "home" in a week after trying several other DW resorts over the last 3 years. Really enjoyed POR, YC, & CS, but can't wait for our 8 night Daddy/Daughter trip and our 9th stay at the WL!

Heading "home" in a week after trying several other DW resorts over the last 3 years. Really enjoyed POR, YC, & CS, but can't wait for our 8 night Daddy/Daughter trip and our 9th stay at the WL!
Howdy and welcome home! There's nothing wrong with trying all the resorts, but it's always comforting to come back to a favorite, especially for a special trip like yours.

Hi Kook - add us to the Lodger's Log - we have booked our January trip - Jan 9 to 13th, 2016 - WV - :cheer2:

We really miss the WL and we had SWA credits that expired Jan 20th and arifare was really. We paid $93.03 per person round trip after applying our credits. I just couldn't pass up the deal. :) Now I just need the room discounts to come out.

We are hoping to get another room over the lobby. We really enjoyed that room location and I don't think the cabin construction will have begun yet.

Hi Kook - add us to the Lodger's Log - we have booked our January trip - Jan 9 to 13th, 2016 - WV - :cheer2:

We really miss the WL and we had SWA credits that expired Jan 20th and arifare was really. We paid $93.03 per person round trip after applying our credits. I just couldn't pass up the deal. :) Now I just need the room discounts to come out.

We are hoping to get another room over the lobby. We really enjoyed that room location and I don't think the cabin construction will have begun yet.

What a great deal on your airfare and I'll log your dates:). We don't know when the cabin construction will begin, but the general construction associated with the DVC expansion starts in early October with amenity closures beginning 26 October. Your preferred view should be fine. South Wing VWL CYV rooms will be most impacted, but I suspect many of those will be removed from inventory. When cabin construction begins, North Wing Woods View rooms would also be impacted.

What a great deal on your airfare and I'll log your dates:). We don't know when the cabin construction will begin, but the general construction associated with the DVC expansion starts in early October with amenity closures beginning 26 October. Your preferred view should be fine. South Wing VWL CYV rooms will be most impacted, but I suspect many of those will be removed from inventory. When cabin construction begins, North Wing Woods View rooms would also be impacted.
I'm taking a little bit of a gamble that the cabin construction on the lodge side, rather than the villas side, doesn't start until after January. I think I'm most worried about not getting a room discount. Hopefully we will at least get the $100 per night credit that they are giving to guests who are staying during the construction period.

We just got home early this morning (2 am) after 10 nights/11 days at the WL. It took a little for me to adjust to a new resort (few hours) but we had an amazing trip and fell in love with The Lodge. Our room was ready while we were waiting for our luggage at baggage claim. We had room 5057 and it was IMO a perfect location. Pretty equal distance to the lobby elevators and the elevators near Roaring Forks and the laundry (which was my hope).

We didn't hear a single construction sound until yesterday morning. I have no clue what the scaffolding is for but it moved a few times during our stay. At first it was on the outside of the building on the side of WCC. Then we noticed a little right near the Cubs Den on the opposite side. A few days later there was a lot more on that side but in the front near the bus stop and yesterday morning they were back on the inner upper courtyard at the corner of the south wing. The tiny bit of hammering I heard was them building the scaffolding.

Our hands down best meal for not only experience but service was at WCC. Laura was our waitress and she was great! (If anyone knows who I can call to give her praise I would really like to do that).

Darn weather created quite an issue for my kids. We were there for 5 days before they actually got to swim. Each day when we got to the pool it had just closed due to nearby storms. Our first day they got about 5 minutes in the kiddie section before the whistle blew. It happened so often that my daughter begged to go swimming every morning because "it's going to rain later and the pool will close" (in whiny, tearful yet still cute voice). Certainly not anything that could have been fixed...just bad luck.

My most favorite part of the resort though was those room darkening drapes! My daughter is not a napper but definitely needed to be while we were there and those drapes were a Godsend! The room was dark as night.

I know someone posted that they didn't like the bed. I was in heaven!

I want to thank everyone (especially Kook and WoodNymph) for all the information on this thread and the answered questions. I truly felt like I knew what was going on and that I had been there before because this thread helped me prepare.

Not sure when we'll be back at the Lodge but we are sure looking forward to it!

Our room was ready while we were waiting for our luggage at baggage claim. We had room 5057 and it was IMO a perfect location. Pretty equal distance to the lobby elevators and the elevators near Roaring Forks and the laundry (which was my hope).

I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip. We had room 5055, right next to the room you had, and we loved the location, too. Thanks for posting your mini trip report. That was really interesting the way the scaffolding moved around. It has already been to most of those areas earlier in the past year so I'm surprised to hear that they are going back to work on those areas again. Maybe this means that it is almost finished.

Ok I just spent an hour catching up here after being gone for a while. We leave in 19 days!! Can anyone clarify for me what part(s) of the grounds will be under construction end of August, beginning of Sept?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter