• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Question for those who have recently (like last three months) stayed in a royal guest room -- are the bolster pillows and bed runners gone? I just read in another thread that all WDW hotels are getting rid of those in rooms because guests would take them home as "souvenirs" :(

Question for those who have recently (like last three months) stayed in a royal guest room -- are the bolster pillows and bed runners gone? I just read in another thread that all WDW hotels are getting rid of those in rooms because guests would take them home as "souvenirs" :(
That just stinks. Can we not have anything nice in the rooms anymore? :(

That just stinks. Can we not have anything nice in the rooms anymore? :(

Right?! I was already bummed the bedspread is gone because it was so beautifully detailed. but I thought, well, at least the runner and bolster can add some color to the bed. So disappointing if they're gone :( I love the design and decor of these rooms (from what I've seen online) and the bed is a huge part! All white bed in an otherwise boisterous, colorful room is jarring.

same for other resort rooms, if this is true. but I feel like it's especially a bummer for the royal guest rooms!

Right?! I was already bummed the bedspread is gone because it was so beautifully detailed. but I thought, well, at least the runner and bolster can add some color to the bed. So disappointing if they're gone :( I love the design and decor of these rooms (from what I've seen online) and the bed is a huge part! All white bed in an otherwise boisterous, colorful room is jarring.

same for other resort rooms, if this is true. but I feel like it's especially a bummer for the royal guest rooms!

I just posted this on the YC/BC thread...

Can Disney not give us anything in the rooms anymore? I like my room sanitary just as much as the next person, but this is insane.

Just the bed and sheets...no carpet, no bed runners (which can be cleaned as easily as the sheets and should be), no blankets, etc.

If we are using the sanitary reasoning as a defense, then the upholstered sofas are 'un-sanitary', too, and maybe more so than anything in the room!

Here's an idea...just wrap the entire room in plastic wrap and vinyl so it can be wiped down. I hate this look. There has to be a better way.

I just posted this on the YC/BC thread...

Can Disney not give us anything in the rooms anymore? I like my room sanitary just as much as the next person, but this is insane.

Just the bed and sheets...no carpet, no bed runners (which can be cleaned as easily as the sheets and should be), no blankets, etc.

If we are using the sanitary reasoning as a defense, then the upholstered sofas are 'un-sanitary', too, and maybe more so than anything in the room!

Here's an idea...just wrap the entire room in plastic wrap and vinyl so it can be wiped down. I hate this look. There has to be a better way.

Seriously! The theming is part of the draw to staying in an on-site hotel room at Disney's prices. I can go generic, cheaper, and likely bigger off-site, and probably will. I like some of the updates--I've been reading along a CSR refurb room, and though it's very different, it's nice--but does every resort need to have minimalist/modern design? A lot of the refurbs are basically the same, but with different color schemes. That's not really a way to distinguish between resorts and themes.

Blegh. I know it's a little silly to be disappointed over Disney toning down the theming, but I felt like that is part of the immersion, and w/r/t Royal Guest Rooms, part of the upcharge.

The beds only have sheets on them now? Are there blankets available in the room or do you have to call mousekeeping for them?

A couple of questions ...

Which would be closer to the food court and main pool - a preferred room or royal room? Is there a significant difference?

My dd is just under 5 ft and very slight build. Do you think she would be comfortable in the fold down beds in AB?

I would like to be able to warm milk every evening. Any ideas on how I can do this?

Thank you - love this thread!

Preferred for the food court, definitely. We haven't gone to the main pool, but I'd think the same is probably true for it.

FYI, when it rains from 3:30pm-7:30pm, the food court, etc gets VERY crowded. We had planned to watch Yee Haw Bob at 8:30, but it was standing room, in the hall or lobby by 8pm.

I'm staying in one right now, and it's true. The beds only have sheets. I was thrown off because all the pics online show the runners. It's still a beautiful room don't get me wrong, but I was kinda bummed. :(

We arrived late afternoon today. Writing this while staring at the beautiful river and lights from the near main area. Before today I used to joke I'd never want to stay here. Grew up close to LA and visited family frequently. CBR was my Mod of choice for theming. I know I'm late to the POR Riverside party, but I'm on board already even before falling asleep.

We're Preferred building 27 and I'm just crazy over the location! It's so peaceful and beautiful being on the river path. We're not a river view room. But, room around corner from stairs to river. I'll take it! Honestly without a private balcony, it's really about building choice to me anyway.

We arrived in pouring rain. Since we drove, the longest walk was just unloading. And who cares about that since we won't go back to car until check out. Super close to main area, but just enough distance for less noise and traffic. Food court was crazy due to rain. But, create your own pasta was super yummy. Surprised at choices, and how freshly made to order.

Caught the second Yee Haw Bob show and so good! With the night life feel of River Roost and other amenities, it truly feels like a resort you don't even have to leave for fun.

I love the rustic decor of the room. Walked over to Mansion side and while beautiful, feels a tad boring to me with it reminding me more of growing up. I love the wilder feel of the greenery over here better.

Obviously the next 10 days will tell about busing and boat to DS. But, I typically don't factor bus reliability into resorts due to being uncontrollable.

Just have to say I'm now looking as much forward to my lazy am and late night resort time as I am the parks!

I'm so glad to be proved wrong, and this resort will now be added (top of list) to my Mod faves...I have a feeling we'll definitely be back.

I'm staying in one right now, and it's true. The beds only have sheets. I was thrown off because all the pics online show the runners. It's still a beautiful room don't get me wrong, but I was kinda bummed. :(

No, I feel that :( I'm glad I'll be going at all (rooms might be subjected to further design minimalism some day) but I wish they could've delayed at least the runners/bolsters removal until after my visit :o Thanks for reporting during your trip!

Also, I will probably get used to this after the first night or two on vacation, but I have a tough time sleeping without a comforter, however thin! If there's ever a place where it's ideal to sleep with only sheets, Florida's it... but still. I need a blanket! :p

Do you mean to say that there isn't even blankets anymore? I never liked the comforters but I need a blanket, no matter how warm it gets because we sleep with the air conditioner on. This can't be right.:sad1:

The blanket it sandwiched between two flat sheets on the bed. There was an extra blanket and two pillows on the shelf above the clothing rod in our AB room. I was disappointed to see no runner when we got to our room.

Hi,
I am REALLY late in posting my review but wanted to do it anyway since so many of you were so helpful before our stay! We were at POR for 4 days from May 5-May 9. We have never stayed there before, it was just my daughter and I celebrating our recent college graduations.
We booked a Standard View room, my requests were Ground Floor and Near Transportation, and we were upgraded to a Preferred River View room in Alligator Bayou. We were so surprised and the location was fantastic! We were in Building 27, room 2726 with a beautiful view of the River right outside our door and it was a very quick walk to the main pool and food court area. Our room was a Wheelchair Accessible room with a bathtub, and so the bathroom was very large. It only had a single sink and did not have the separate dressing area. It was separated from the rest of the room.

IMG_9832.JPG
This did not bother us at all. However, I would say that if I I did not require this type of room and had more than two people staying in it, this would not be my preferred set-up - I can see how this would make things difficult for getting ready in the morning with only the one sink and no separate dressing area. The wardrobe next to the bathroom was the closet/storage space, which again was OK for us, but it really was crammed with the ironing board, iron, extra pillows and blankets, etc. so it definitely did not supply as much hanging space as the rod in the other room type. The room was in good shape, everything worked fine. The lack of anything decorative on the beds is real bummer...I've never been to a hotel that had such drab bed coverings! Hoping Disney is planning something else. I don't know why this bothers me so much but it does.

Overall, we LOVED the resort - it really is as beautiful as everyone says. We took many walks around the river, strolled to POFQ for beignets, and used the main pool everyday. I wish the pool deck space was a bit larger to accommodate more chairs - again, we usually found two OK spaces but for bigger parties you might have to search a bit harder when the resort is busy. We had AMAZING weather - no rain at all, sunny and hot everyday with little humidity.

The bus service was pretty good - we used the South Depot for Pick-ups and the other one for drop-offs. It was never full. I would say the distance was about equal from our room. The only real issue we had was our Animal Kingdom EMH morning - no buses came at all...there were tons of people waiting and everyone at the stop was getting upset. We decided to call an Uber since we wanted to get there for rope drop - it came within two minutes, and our driver dropped us off right at the main entrance walkway. We definitely beat the bus. We have taken many, many Disney trips and always use the busses and I have to say this is the first time this has ever happened to us. Speaking of Uber, we used it 6 times during our trip, mostly for resort-resort trips, and one night we exited Epcot through the IG and took an Uber from the BC. We spent just under $50 all together which I think is a steal. We have used taxi's for many years in WDW and the prices are so much higher.

I would stay at POR again in a minute - highly recommend! We are heading to the BC for a big family trip in August, but thinking of staying once more at POR for a quick trip before Christmas. I'm sure this resort is lovely that time of year!

Hi,
I am REALLY late in posting my review but wanted to do it anyway since so many of you were so helpful before our stay! We were at POR for 4 days from May 5-May 9. We have never stayed there before, it was just my daughter and I celebrating our recent college graduations.
We booked a Standard View room, my requests were Ground Floor and Near Transportation, and we were upgraded to a Preferred River View room in Alligator Bayou. We were so surprised and the location was fantastic! We were in Building 27, room 2726 with a beautiful view of the River right outside our door and it was a very quick walk to the main pool and food court area. Our room was a Wheelchair Accessible room with a bathtub, and so the bathroom was very large. It only had a single sink and did not have the separate dressing area. It was separated from the rest of the room.

View attachment 241772
This did not bother us at all. However, I would say that if I I did not require this type of room and had more than two people staying in it, this would not be my preferred set-up - I can see how this would make things difficult for getting ready in the morning with only the one sink and no separate dressing area. The wardrobe next to the bathroom was the closet/storage space, which again was OK for us, but it really was crammed with the ironing board, iron, extra pillows and blankets, etc. so it definitely did not supply as much hanging space as the rod in the other room type. The room was in good shape, everything worked fine. The lack of anything decorative on the beds is real bummer...I've never been to a hotel that had such drab bed coverings! Hoping Disney is planning something else. I don't know why this bothers me so much but it does.

Overall, we LOVED the resort - it really is as beautiful as everyone says. We took many walks around the river, strolled to POFQ for beignets, and used the main pool everyday. I wish the pool deck space was a bit larger to accommodate more chairs - again, we usually found two OK spaces but for bigger parties you might have to search a bit harder when the resort is busy. We had AMAZING weather - no rain at all, sunny and hot everyday with little humidity.

The bus service was pretty good - we used the South Depot for Pick-ups and the other one for drop-offs. It was never full. I would say the distance was about equal from our room. The only real issue we had was our Animal Kingdom EMH morning - no buses came at all...there were tons of people waiting and everyone at the stop was getting upset. We decided to call an Uber since we wanted to get there for rope drop - it came within two minutes, and our driver dropped us off right at the main entrance walkway. We definitely beat the bus. We have taken many, many Disney trips and always use the busses and I have to say this is the first time this has ever happened to us. Speaking of Uber, we used it 6 times during our trip, mostly for resort-resort trips, and one night we exited Epcot through the IG and took an Uber from the BC. We spent just under $50 all together which I think is a steal. We have used taxi's for many years in WDW and the prices are so much higher.

I would stay at POR again in a minute - highly recommend! We are heading to the BC for a big family trip in August, but thinking of staying once more at POR for a quick trip before Christmas. I'm sure this resort is lovely that time of year!

Congratulations on your graduations! We love POR and have a week planned in December, too.
We have never used Uber - any tips for a newbie?

The beds only have sheets on them now? Are there blankets available in the room or do you have to call mousekeeping for them?

They have been doing a triple layer. Sheet,blanket,Sheet and then usually an extra blanket in the closet area. It's been that way at all the resorts since they got rid of the duvets.

I like it but I know it's not to everyone's taste. I sleep warm so the less covers the better.

We requested mansion room, close to transportation when we booked a standard room...we were bumped up to a preferred building in AB. No complaints here.
So confused, what is a AB room? We have a standard room booked as I didn't realize my hold only lasted one day so I lost the preferred room. It is just the 3 of us, myself and my 2 kids girl 18 and boy 14. Would love a room accommodating to that and that is not that far from the lobby. Ground floor since there are no elevators correct? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So confused, what is a AB room? We have a standard room booked as I didn't realize my hold only lasted one day so I lost the preferred room. It is just the 3 of us, myself and my 2 kids girl 18 and boy 14. Would love a room accommodating to that and that is not that far from the lobby. Ground floor since there are no elevators correct? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
AB is short for the Alligator Bayou section of the resort. The mansions are the other section.You might want to look at the maps at the beginning of this thread to see how the resort is laid out. The buildings are seperate from the main building, main pool, and food court. You can get an idea of what area might fit your needs and then book and request your preferences.

I think the rooms look cheap and not complete with the beds just having the sheet/blanket.
As far as actual usage goes, it's not a big deal since I don't use the comforter but it still looks poor and doesn't make me feel like I should be "paying more"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter