Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

we stayed at POFQ from Feb 26th to March 9th and while we were there during a very dark time in our lives the cast members were spectacular with us and treated us with grace and compassion. We arrived early Sunday morning, were assigned a room that most would love but not our favourite location-building 4, spitting distance to both bus and food, and were quickly moved to top floor building 7 - we like being away from the main areas. My mom had a stroke Wednesday night and we weren't able to get home before she passed on the Sunday morning due to a winter Thunder snow storm. The staff bent over backwards to make sure we had everything we needed and more - quiet knock on our door front desk manager with multiple boxes of Kleenex. They allowed us to dictate when security checks and housecleaning would happen. The culinary staff got food into the kitchen they don't normally carry to help with my extremely limited diet. The front desk manager who was on duty the day we got the call that mom had moved to bedside vigil mode transferred the remaining 7 days of our 10 day park hoppers to individual park hoppers that are good thru 2028. We were often treated to private bus rides to anywhere we were headed. They've also added 4 free nights to our account for whenever we want to come back for a true holiday.

The weather was perfect the entire stay, only one evening of torrential rain, full moon shining on the river, gorgeous grounds to quietly wander and chat about the next steps. There was a cheerleader group there one weekend but we barely noticed them (one of the chaperones did over imbibe at the springs and made a bus ride rather awkward) several groups of spring break kids who were also very respectful of other guests. Other than the personal trauma we were dealing with it was an ideal stay at our favourite resort.
I'm glad you were so well taken-care-of during such a sad time. It is good to know they care. I'm sorry for the passing of your mom.

Any updates on the pool refurb going on here or when the main pool might reopen again?
Is there a refurb now? This is from Disney's site:

From January 2024 through April 2024, the Doubloon Lagoon pool at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter will be closed for routine maintenance. Guests may see or hear construction work during day time hours. During this time, Guests are welcome to swim in the Ol’ Man Island pool at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside.

Is there a refurb now? This is from Disney's site:

From January 2024 through April 2024, the Doubloon Lagoon pool at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter will be closed for routine maintenance. Guests may see or hear construction work during day time hours. During this time, Guests are welcome to swim in the Ol’ Man Island pool at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside.

Oh my gosh…my reading comprehension is terrible since I totally missed the 2024 part. Well that’s a relief

I didn’t notice a note for construction when I just booked my stay. Is the pool open in June? Also is there a mini fridge or something cold for water

For the boat going to Disney Springs . Does boat drop the same location fir Old Key West? We have ressies at Olivia’s and since staying at FQ i think the boat would be easier and prettier.

For the boat going to Disney Springs . Does boat drop the same location fir Old Key West? We have ressies at Olivia’s and since staying at FQ i think the boat would be easier and prettier.

It does at the moment, yes. However pre-COVID the various Resorts had separate docks located at either end of Disney Springs, and it's possible they could return to that arrangement at some point in the future.

Andre

I'm going to be down there in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone knows if there are still resort Christmas ornaments in the stores are POFQ or POR?

Hoping for some insight! Do you think it would be worth it to stay at POFQ with kiddos and teens (they would be 8,11 and two will be age 16 when we go, we would get 2 rooms) , and considering we would be there when the pool is closed in 2024? would teens find this to be a boring resort? And is it really hard to get rooms next to or at least near each other? I am having a really hard time finding accommodations on site for our large and spread out age group that we can actually afford
Thanks!!

Hoping for some insight! Do you think it would be worth it to stay at POFQ with kiddos and teens (they would be 8,11 and two will be age 16 when we go, we would get 2 rooms) , and considering we would be there when the pool is closed in 2024? would teens find this to be a boring resort? And is it really hard to get rooms next to or at least near each other? I am having a really hard time finding accommodations on site for our large and spread out age group that we can actually afford
Thanks!!
I would suggest the Swan or Dolphin with kids those age, especially if the pool is closed (just check to be sure the pool is open for Swan/Dolphin). It's walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and a great area to walk around the Boardwalk. You could likely get 2 rooms there for about the same cost as POFQ.

I would suggest the Swan or Dolphin with kids those age, especially if the pool is closed (just check to be sure the pool is open for Swan/Dolphin). It's walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and a great area to walk around the Boardwalk. You could likely get 2 rooms there for about the same cost as POFQ.
Ooh thank you, I honestly had not even thought of those!

Thanks!!

I think a lot depends on whether your family plans to spend much time at the pool. You will have access to the pools at POR next door but of course that is not ideal if you plan on using the pool daily.

We were there in Jan/Feb and had requested connecting rooms. I received the room ready notification while we were still at our home airport. I looked up the room location map and realized they were adjoining and not connecting. I immediately called the resort and requested a room change. The person who answered the phone actually didn't know the difference between adjoining and connecting but said a room assigner would return my call. About 30 minutes later, I received a call and he asked if I had been to the assigned rooms yet. I advised we had not as we were currently boarding the plane to fly to Florida. He was able to give us a new room assignment with connecting rooms.

A previous poster had given me advice that was very helpful. A: If arriving late in the day(which we were), put an arrival note in MDE that you will be there much earlier (we did 3pm) so that if you are assigned rooms not connecting, you have time to get it corrected before all of the assigned rooms are occupied for the day. B: Do not enter the room if it's not what you want. If you enter the room, they have to send mousekeeping to freshen up the room and they may be gone for the day or not have time. They will not be as willing to switch your room if you have already entered the room. This is huge as the room assigner asked me several times and almost didn't believe me until I advised I was over a 1000 miles away boarding an airplane. I explained that I had consulted a room map and noticed the rooms were not connecting.

Good luck on your decision.

Thanks!!
I would not stay anywhere when their main pool is closed. Unless you're going in Jan. and even then probably not (we've swam in Jan. before at Disney). Pick a place that has a pool.

Thanks!!
So I think POFQ is teen/older kid friendly however, you can certainly request connecting rooms but it's never guaranteed. Even if the POFQ pool is closed, you can use the POR main pool as both resorts share amenities. I'm not sure if ya'll will swim a lot but that's an option. ETA- Building 7 at POFQ is very close to POR so if you go this route, you can easily walk to the POR pool.

For space and affordability, you might also want to take a look at the All Star Music family suites or even the AofA family suites. The ASMu suites are usually less money than AofA and have been more recently remodeled and afford you sleeping space for 6, two queen pull down murphy beds and a regular queen. The other nice feature is you get 2 full baths and a small kitchen. The AofA suites are not as nice imo but have unique theming. They also have two full baths and also get sleeping space for 6 with a slightly different configuration. But you get the skyliner so that is another cost driver. When we priced out the suites for a summer trip at ASMu, they were about $300/nt with the recent visa 35% discount, normally they're around $400/nt which is likely less than the cost of two rooms at POFQ/POR without any discounts.

It's hard to recommend a resort without knowing which parks you plan to frequent but my kids, 16/14, love port orleans. They love the theming of both resorts and the disney feel.

Last edited:
We've stayed at many WDW resorts including POR and POFQ. While, yes, you can and we have used the others pool...I just can't imagine paying the cost and not having a pool onsite. It's not like it's a 2 min. walk to the POR pool...it's still going to be quite a hike...and in wet clothes on the way back.

My DH has been drinking tea lately. He drinks the caffeine free varieties. Is Twinings chamomile, peppermint, or green tea available at the resort? I never paid attention before. I need to figure out if I need to bring some along. Thanks.

My DH has been drinking tea lately. He drinks the caffeine free varieties. Is Twinings chamomile, peppermint, or green tea available at the resort? I never paid attention before. I need to figure out if I need to bring some along. Thanks.
Just to be safe bring some along with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter