Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Ok, So I plan to read all 481 pages of info. BUT I just switched to here from Coronado, which I have been researching over and over for three years (dates keep moving due to COVID).
So needless to say with only 3 months before my trip I am feeling completely freaked out. Anyone stayed at both? Can ease my mind and tell me why it's a good decision. Thanks
I’ve stayed at both. You made a great decision. 👍🏻

I like Coronado, but it’s just way too big.

POFQ is just so peaceful and small. I prefer the theming better. It’s a short walk to Riverside if you feel like exploring a bigger resort. Plus you can take the boat to DS.

Relax and enjoy! I don’t think you’ll regret it. 🙂

Ok, So I plan to read all 481 pages of info. BUT I just switched to here from Coronado, which I have been researching over and over for three years (dates keep moving due to COVID).
So needless to say with only 3 months before my trip I am feeling completely freaked out. Anyone stayed at both? Can ease my mind and tell me why it's a good decision. Thanks

You will love POFQ. It's one of our favorite hotels! We've stayed at both Coronado and POFQ. They are VERY different resorts but I feel that POFQ is more personal and cozy as it is very small with only one bus stop. We also love taking the boat down to Disney Springs and enjoying the quiet sights along the way.

The only drawback for choosing POFQ over Coronado would be the pool (at least in my kids' eyes). However, the beignets at Scat Cat's more than makes up for that!

Enjoy your vacation!

We have stayed at both. I was honestly disappointed in Coronado. It was just so big. I think if we had done a preferred room we may have liked it better. But it took 20 minutes to walk to pick up breakfast and back. If there wasn’t a wait. And my kid didn’t like any of the food. Hah.

We are planning on FQ for our next trip.

We have stayed at both. I was honestly disappointed in Coronado. It was just so big. I think if we had done a preferred room we may have liked it better. But it took 20 minutes to walk to pick up breakfast and back. If there wasn’t a wait. And my kid didn’t like any of the food. Hah.

We are planning on FQ for our next trip.
We honestly were more disappointed in the preferred rooms at Coronado than when we were in the Cabanas as we felt farther away from everything. Preferred rooms if you get the farther Casitas can feel like a rat maze just trying to find the front and you really aren't that close to a bus stop either.

Just figured I would share our experience....

Has anyone tried the gumbo from the food court? I have never had gumbo and thought it might be fun to try but I have a very low tolerance for spicy food. The description doesn't mention anything spicy and my friend, who lived in Louisiana for years, told me that it is something that isn't always spicy. Based on the description I think my main concern would probably be the sausage. Anyone know if it is on the mild side?

Has anyone tried the gumbo from the food court? I have never had gumbo and thought it might be fun to try but I have a very low tolerance for spicy food. The description doesn't mention anything spicy and my friend, who lived in Louisiana for years, told me that it is something that isn't always spicy. Based on the description I think my main concern would probably be the sausage. Anyone know if it is on the mild side?

Hi, I've had the gumbo multiple times (although, not since 2019). I would classify it as "Disney spicy"...in the real world you'd probably say it's got no spice going for it, but at Disney I'd classify it as "mildly spicy." I'd suggest trying it once because it's really flavorful and warm and one of my favorite dishes at FQ.

Specifically, the sausage itself isn't spicy.

Can anyone share their expereince with taking the water taxi back to POFQ from DS after the 8:00pm Drawn to Life Cirque show? Will we be out in time to catch the last boat back?

Which Disney Springs dock is utilized? If it goes to the Marketplace, may we take a boat from there to the Landing dock and/or vice versa?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Can anyone share their expereince with taking the water taxi back to POFQ from DS after the 8:00pm Drawn to Life Cirque show? Will we be out in time to catch the last boat back? Thank you!
I'm not certain but the last boat to POFQ leaves from the Marketplace Dock at 1130 pm sharp.
You would need to take the water taxi from Westside Dock to the Marketplace Dock and then the water taxi to POFQ.
The Disney Springs water taxis run until 1.30 am I think.

Hi, I've had the gumbo multiple times (although, not since 2019). I would classify it as "Disney spicy"...in the real world you'd probably say it's got no spice going for it, but at Disney I'd classify it as "mildly spicy." I'd suggest trying it once because it's really flavorful and warm and one of my favorite dishes at FQ.

Specifically, the sausage itself isn't spicy.
Thank you! I can handle mildly spicy. I was hoping to try it so that is good news. 😊

ok, so I'm done reading this full thread. Thank you to Disneylover99, BridgetR3 and Luna81 that made me feel better about my decision to switch resorts (it was a more stressful decision than I thought it would be). So after reading the thread I have a few questions, they might have been answered but I must have missed them :)

1) I have thick hair, are there hairdryers in the rooms? Are they decent or should I be lugging my personal one with me?

2) Is the water pressure as bad as they say? Am I gonna come home tired from the park and spend 30 minutes washing my hair?

3) I dislike they have shower curtains. Do the curtains attack you? You know what I mean, lol, grosses me out

4) Do I need to be making reservations for the table service at FQ? Or does it seem to be decent enough you can do walk in?

5) Do you get face clothes?

6) Are there umbrellas by the pool?

Thank you!!

ok, so I'm done reading this full thread. Thank you to Disneylover99, BridgetR3 and Luna81 that made me feel better about my decision to switch resorts (it was a more stressful decision than I thought it would be). So after reading the thread I have a few questions, they might have been answered but I must have missed them :)

1) I have thick hair, are there hairdryers in the rooms? Are they decent or should I be lugging my personal one with me?

2) Is the water pressure as bad as they say? Am I gonna come home tired from the park and spend 30 minutes washing my hair?

3) I dislike they have shower curtains. Do the curtains attack you? You know what I mean, lol, grosses me out

4) Do I need to be making reservations for the table service at FQ? Or does it seem to be decent enough you can do walk in?

5) Do you get face clothes?

6) Are there umbrellas by the pool?

Thank you!!
I can't really answer the first 2 questions, but I'll tackle the others!

3. I never had the shower curtain attack me, after a 7 night stay.

4. French Quarter doesn't have a table service restaurant. Are you thinking of the Riverside restaurant? I don't know about walk-ups, but I have found reservation availability at the last minute.

5. Yes

6. There are very few. Shade was a rare commodity when we were there a month ago. We preferred swimming at the quiet pools over at Riverside, where you could find shade easier, not to mention chairs!

6. There are very few. Shade was a rare commodity when we were there a month ago. We preferred swimming at the quiet pools over at Riverside, where you could find shade easier, not to mention chairs!

So the quiet pools have shade? Natural or Umbrella?

Opinions on this resort for a couple in their 30’s (no kids)? We stayed at CSR last time and we loved it. My husband really likes the feel of this resort from the videos and pictures we have seen.
Ended up staying there a few years ago in a pinch when it was the only thing available when DW called reservations. I went grudgingly, as I am no fan of Mardis Gras or purple and green.

I was wowed. Convenient small (intimate even). Quiet. Best CS dining at any resort. Cute theming. Close to EPCOT, MK, and Disney Springs. Cool boat transportation.

It’s now our favorite resort.

I see people mentioning shrimp & grits. I don't see it on any menus at FQ, am I just not seeing it? Help a girl out :)

They don't have shrimp and grits anymore. People mention it because it was once on the menu - and pretty good, too.

What kind of food/beverages can be purchased in the gift shop? Flying for this trip and would love to have some quick snack/breakfast foods in the room to help us in the mornings? We have stayed at POFQ before but not for five years and we've never gone in the gift shop. TIA!

What kind of food/beverages can be purchased in the gift shop? Flying for this trip and would love to have some quick snack/breakfast foods in the room to help us in the mornings? We have stayed at POFQ before but not for five years and we've never gone in the gift shop. TIA!
I don’t know the answer to this. But I’d do a delivery order instead. Amazon or shipt or instacart or I know there are others. Even with fees it’ll be so much cheaper than buying from the gift shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter