Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the movie tonight, and they still give out free bags of popcorn. Movies are on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Monday you can watch at Art of Animation, and no movie on Tuesday or Wednesday. Schedule for March will be out in early March.
I'm glad the Movies are back on the Hippy Dippy Pool Deck-for a long time they had moved them to the "lawn" between Building 5 and Classic Hall.:)

Hopefully POP and AoA will go back to Movies EVERY night at some point.

How is the wi-fi at the POP? Are their any restrictions or limits with it? I don't plan on doing much, if any streaming on it, but I wouldn't mind downloading a podcast or two each day and maybe email/message a few photos to family. I guess I could also do the same using phones data plan, but I don't want to go over my limit.

Also, in general, how is the wi-fi in the parks? Our last visit was in 2013 and I don't even remember if it was available at that time. Is it worth using, or are we better off using cellular? We're Verizon customers.

Last I remembered the Wifi was pretty slow in the rooms. I think it was better in the commisary areas. The parks are pretty decent except when you get into some of the rides.

We are planning a trip to Legoland during our stay. Anyone have recommendations for car rental from Pop? Looks like there are some closer options than the Car Care Center so not sure what is easiest.

How is the wi-fi at the POP? Are their any restrictions or limits with it? I don't plan on doing much, if any streaming on it, but I wouldn't mind downloading a podcast or two each day and maybe email/message a few photos to family. I guess I could also do the same using phones data plan, but I don't want to go over my limit.

Also, in general, how is the wi-fi in the parks? Our last visit was in 2013 and I don't even remember if it was available at that time. Is it worth using, or are we better off using cellular? We're Verizon customers.

I streamed Netflix from the room when we stayed at Pop last January, but I had to set it on the lowest setting to stop it from buffering every few minutes.

The wi-fi in the parks is fine. Occasionally it would be so slow I would just turn it off and use the data on my phone, but for the most part, it worked well enough to check MDE, Touring Plans, and the weather.

We are planning a trip to Legoland during our stay. Anyone have recommendations for car rental from Pop? Looks like there are some closer options than the Car Care Center so not sure what is easiest.

It may be worthwhile to look at using Uber.

I think that they will pick you up and bring you to the car care center, but with the time involved, if you're just going for a day, maybe Uber is a viable alternative.

I found it fine in the rooms. The oddity that I noticed is that at ANY bench I sat at, the wifi was downright horrible. I kind of wondered if that was done on purpose to keep people camped on a bench for long periods of time on the internet.

At the park, there are good spots and not so good spots.
I've found that if you try to stream during popular events, the number of interruptions increases. I think the bandwidth overall is pretty poor.

The wifi has gotten slower and slower everytime I go. I used to be able to run World of Warcraft with it, but now it does not stream as well.

I would upgrade to a moderate and not stay at POP. The Argentinian tour groups are taking over POP and Art of Animation. I'm here now. We leave today, and I've never been happy about the Tragical Express.....but I am today. Will never book at a value again. Vacation was not magical.

Here now and the tour groups and cheerleaders are loud and are everywhere. It's 12:15am and I can hear them running around outside. They kept us up until after 2am this morning.
The staff won't do anything about it.

Two years in a row I was stuck in middle even though I requested the opposite side of resort, and asked to be moved once I was in, they refused. Why? Are you ready? "By law we must mix families in with groups." It was a nightmare. Security came out multiple times and stood there and watched the chaos. They were banging on my door and windows. One night I went to the room below me and banged on their door. Four boys - claimed it was not them and the kids in room around behind them was problem. I went there. At this point three kids kicking and banging on door while security was on the ground looking other way. A room with all the furniture stacked against wall, mattresses upright, around 15 kids in there. They ran off and door opened to kids who had been yelling in english claiming they didn't speak it. I called them out and told them they better knock if off. That night got quieter but it was day 4 of this. The next day I found one of their tour guides (With BTG, they are not chaperones only tour guides who vanish at the hotels) and told her I was not going to tolerate it. That Disney security was doing nothing so ........ since I now felt unsafe in my hotel room I was going to call the POLICE department and have them show up. Was quiet after that night but trip ruined. Next year the "noise" was down late at night (they had extra security and I had talked to them on arrival of my expectations) but the pool, food court and buses unusable ...... so the next year I moved off site cancelling my reservation and telling them why.

Your experiences are all so awful at Pop!! I'm so sad to hear it. My mom & I stayed there for 5 nights in September 2015, and we didn't have any issues. We were in the 60s section, on the fourth floor I think. I rebooked Pop for our trip in January 2018, for the first few days (and then we're switching to Wilderness Lodge). Seeing these reports makes me a little anxious! The only event I know of around then is the DisneyRun marathon, which is ending when we arrive.

Out of curiosity, I just looked up the school schedule in Argentina. Their break is in our Winter: "The academic year in state schools generally starts at the beginning of March and ends mid-December. The summer holidays occur during this break. Dates can vary slightly depending on the province."

I'm so sad to hear how unresponsive WDW was in all of your situations... As a worst case scenario, I wonder if you could file a complaint with VISA. For any purchase over $50, if you are unsatisfied with the item and the company refuses to accept a return/reimbursement, you can file a claim with VISA and they will remove the charge. I've only had to use the feature once in my life. I don't know if it applies to hotels/experiences, but I'd be curious to find out. I would fight tooth and nail with WDW... IDK if I would even go back to WDW if I had the kind of experiences you all are describing. Just.. wow.

If for nothing else those murphy beds will be broken left and right, the tables for sure will be damaged and they won't be able to keep up with maintenance on those rooms. Having stayed (unfortunately) among the BTG ....... you wouldn't believe what happens in those rooms. It would be in Disney's best interest to keep those beds as secure as they can, simple and less mechanics.

#Legit

My concern with the photos of the new set-up is the table.. it vanishes when both beds are in use. The area of the room that currently has a table isn't shown, so IDK if there's a second table still... Seems like poor design in terms of functionality. We were hoping to bring a jigsaw puzzle. I might abandon that idea anyway since we plan on switching resorts.

I'm keeping an eye on discounts moving forward; my mom is an AP holder and FL resident, and if we can get a 25%+ discount on Wilderness Lodge, we'll just do all 6 nights there this time. Gotta say these stories about Pop have me a bit freaked out!

Gotta say these stories about Pop have me a bit freaked out!

We were at Pop from 1/30-2/4.

We saw plenty of the BTGs but they never caused any problems for us. Our 50's lake view room was downright peaceful and quiet. Maybe it depends on where you stay.

The only "craziness" I experienced was the food court being packed at the end of the days when then parks closed. But I never saw anyone misbehaving...just tons of people crammed in.

Your experiences are all so awful at Pop!! I'm so sad to hear it. My mom & I stayed there for 5 nights in September 2015, and we didn't have any issues. We were in the 60s section, on the fourth floor I think. I rebooked Pop for our trip in January 2018, for the first few days (and then we're switching to Wilderness Lodge). Seeing these reports makes me a little anxious! The only event I know of around then is the DisneyRun marathon, which is ending when we arrive.

Out of curiosity, I just looked up the school schedule in Argentina. Their break is in our Winter: "The academic year in state schools generally starts at the beginning of March and ends mid-December. The summer holidays occur during this break. Dates can vary slightly depending on the province."

I'm so sad to hear how unresponsive WDW was in all of your situations... As a worst case scenario, I wonder if you could file a complaint with VISA. For any purchase over $50, if you are unsatisfied with the item and the company refuses to accept a return/reimbursement, you can file a claim with VISA and they will remove the charge. I've only had to use the feature once in my life. I don't know if it applies to hotels/experiences, but I'd be curious to find out. I would fight tooth and nail with WDW... IDK if I would even go back to WDW if I had the kind of experiences you all are describing. Just.. wow.

#Legit

My concern with the photos of the new set-up is the table.. it vanishes when both beds are in use. The area of the room that currently has a table isn't shown, so IDK if there's a second table still... Seems like poor design in terms of functionality. We were hoping to bring a jigsaw puzzle. I might abandon that idea anyway since we plan on switching resorts.

I'm keeping an eye on discounts moving forward; my mom is an AP holder and FL resident, and if we can get a 25%+ discount on Wilderness Lodge, we'll just do all 6 nights there this time. Gotta say these stories about Pop have me a bit freaked out!

Brazil has off until beginning of February and Argentina has off closer to March. You will find them at WDW in mid summer, Jan through February. US Teams will start showing up closer to October on (mostly winter/spring) because September is just too early in the school year.

We were at Pop from 1/30-2/4.

We saw plenty of the BTGs but they never caused any problems for us. Our 50's lake view room was downright peaceful and quiet. Maybe it depends on where you stay.

The only "craziness" I experienced was the food court being packed at the end of the days when then parks closed. But I never saw anyone misbehaving...just tons of people crammed in.

They usually put them in the 80's and 90's so that they are set apart somewhat and their tour buses can pull right up to buildings. Unfortunately my two trips they put us there in the middle of them. I was also at POP last week of January this year in 50's right by the main building, I did not experience them this year. I notice much much fewer than previous years and attribute that somewhat to the decline in their countries economy. Most of the tour groups we saw in parks were adults and families.

Here are the pics of the room renovation proposal that were posted awhile ago on here..

13615517_10101104545539139_5763604559690868178_n_zpsvvgu57zs.jpg

13614933_10101104544581059_1585888267354412782_n_zpsumznw4mw.jpg

13619892_10101104544331559_2176485227795734235_n_zps6wnjtuwa.jpg

True you can't see that whole wall but a part of a chair which I assume is the second chair to use at the table. I'm going to guess the one part we can't see would be a dresser and the tv.

Last edited:
They usually put them in the 80's and 90's so that they are set apart somewhat and their tour buses can pull right up to buildings. Unfortunately my two trips they put us there in the middle of them. I was also at POP last week of January this year in 50's right by the main building, I did not experience them this year. I notice much much fewer than previous years and attribute that somewhat to the decline in their countries economy.

Very helpful to know! Thanks! I have heard that Disney attendance in general was not as high as anticipated last summer, and I have heard that the poor economies in other countries is not helping.

Definitely Uber. Otherwise you'd have to take a bus to MK, then either walk or take the monorail to Contemporary then the boat to Wilderness Lodge.

I didn't even consider Uber at WDW. I am so out of the times! I'm guessing it's really easy & convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter