Disney's Magical Express to End in 2022, Extra Magic Hours to be Replaced with Early Theme Park Entry Later This Year

This basically eliminates rope-dropping popular rides for off-site guests.

FL is really the place to go for Universal. CA is where I get my Disney fix. Way too many hoops to jump through to get on a ride at Disney in FL. And it's much cheaper to stay off property in CA with MaxPass than losing out to the FP system in FL, which punished you for not staying on property. Maybe this will improve post COVID.

FL is really the place to go for Universal. CA is where I get my Disney fix. Way too many hoops to jump through to get on a ride at Disney in FL. And it's much cheaper to stay off property in CA with MaxPass than losing out to the FP system in FL, which punished you for not staying on property. Maybe this will improve post COVID.

I can't wait for DL to reopen. We are planning a trip as soon as they do. It sounds wonderful, and much less stressful than doing WDW. I'm into less stress these days:)

Just add this to the long list of head scratching decisions (mostly pre-covid) that WDW has made.

It's typically just my daughter & I traveling. Her first trip she had JUST turned 5... the ease of the airport, luggage, etc was a major enticement for me to attempt a vacation like this for just her & I. As she has grown older, and people say the 'You're going to Disney again?' comments I always respond "Disney makes it so easy as a single Mom. I check my bags with skycab at my home airport, later that day they 'magically' appear in my room. Coming home, I call bell services they get my bags, we walk them down, I check in with my airline, and don't see them again until I'm at baggage claim back home... they just make it so easy". That was my standard response. With this now gone, even if they add the railway somehow, I don't see us staying on-site again after our upcoming July trip. I don't even know that Disney will be our destination after that trip.

Super disappointed.

Was luggage delivery suspended specifically due to Covid?
If so, perhaps luggage delivery will be re-instated. That would take a lot of the sting out of losing DME (at least for me).

Was luggage delivery suspended specifically due to Covid?
If so, perhaps luggage delivery will be re-instated. That would take a lot of the sting out of losing DME (at least for me).
My understanding is that the luggage delivery service was done by a different third part vendor - “Bags” or something like that - which has gone out of business since covid. I would imagine a new entity will emerge to fill this void once travel volume picks up.

I think this service was subsidized at least in part by participating airlines.

My understanding is that the luggage delivery service was done by a different third part vendor - “Bags” or something like that - which has gone out of business since covid. I would imagine a new entity will emerge to fill this void once travel volume picks up.

I think this service was subsidized at least in part by participating airlines.

Just FYI, Bags, Inc. is not out of business. They are a large company that does all sorts of third party things for airports, airlines, hotels, etc. Whatever contract they had with Disney for luggage pick up and deliver at the resorts has obviously ended though.

this is a long thread, and I didn't read it all, so at the risk of reiterating ideas and sentiments already expressed, here are my thoughts...

Of all the changes Disney has been making, and I understand they need to during Covid, the loss of Magical Express, baggage delivery and Resort Airline Check-in are the ones that hurt the most.

Not having to grab our checked bags at the airport, and not having to find our way to the resort and drive to it (even if by GPS), along with getting boarding passes and checking our bags at the resort before heading to the airport on the way home set Walt Disney World vacations apart from other destinations.

For those coming from other countries, they didn't have to worry about our driving laws, finding their way around in a new location, etc. Can they use their phone as a GPS in the USA (they'd have to have a data plan that works in the USA).

This move raises the over all complexity and cost of a family's trip.

As a family with only 1 child, it was nice for us to only have him, his stroller and our carry-ons to worry about once we checked into our home airport. When we landed at MCO, not having to then also deal with our checked bags, a car seat, rental car, etc. was a blessing. When he was 1.5yrs we did do a trip where we stayed off site, we had my sister-in-law and her BF at the time with us. It wasn't as much fun even with 4 adults looking after him. The airport was new, so he was curious and wanted to explore! Now that he is 12, its much easier for us. We don't have a stroller, he can pull his own checked bag, etc. But our November 2020 trip was still not as fun, having to collect and bring our checked bags, and no airline check in on the way home so we had to stop at the airline counter before going to the TSA screening. The only reason we didn't use the Magical Express this trip was a friend from South Carolina joined us, so she picked us up at the airport along her way.

Consider a family of 4, with children 6 and under. They will need 2 car seats, and likely have strollers in addition to their bags. Managing all that becomes more stressful and difficult. They would need a larger vehicle to fit it all. So if they did a ride share, their options could be limited, and more expensive. Not all "Suv's" are created equally. Suppose one that can't hold it all arrives? what if the driver doesn't have enough car seats? Or what if the driver keeps car seats in the car, but its a family who doesn't need them, so there is less space for luggage, etc. Btw, what happens with Uber/Lyft if your flight is delayed or changed? do they wait for you? Do you have to call another and wait for it to arrive?

If a family rented a car, their costs could be higher too. (last time we needed a car seat was years ago, at that time Hertz charged for car seats, and it was more expensive to rent a mini-van than it was a car, or smaller SUV like a Chevy Equinox).

For those who use travel agents to book their Disney trips, will the TA be able to book the ground transportation for them, or is it up to the family to handle?

I also can't imaging the number of passengers arriving each day, trying to get their luggage and then taking rental cars or ride shares. Does MCO have the space for all the ride share drop offs/pick ups? How easy will it be to find your ride share driver/car in a sea of other people trying to find their ride? When it comes to rentals, Does MCO have the space to store the additional rental cars that will certainly be needed? With the advent of some rental companies doing a "skip the counter, grab a car" I would expect car rental counters to be crowded, but not overly so. With the demand for more rental cars, will rental prices go up? And what about more traffic between MCO and Disney with the extra cars?

I'm not confident Disney will introduce a service to replace Magical Express. If they had one, they should have announced it with the cancellation of ME, to head off the negative feelings created by this announcement. The Brightline train from MCO to DS wont be a solution since its not going to be ready until 2022 (assuming no delays). It wouldn't be a good experience. You'd have to depart the Airplane at MCO, presumably visit baggage claim to get your checked luggage, wait on & a board train with your luggage, disembark from train with all your stuff at DS to wait on resort bus. Think how long that will take. And if your room isn't ready, wait on a line at bell service with all of your luggage for them to hold your bags. Oh, and those complaining about "3hrs (4 at xmas/new years) before boarding" ME back to airport... this arrangement will probably take even longer.

I can see this as a money maker for Disney. They no longer have to cover the cost of ME transportation, baggage handling, and distributing boarding passes and "Tragical Express" envelopes. And they get income from those renting a car who will be parking at the resorts. Oh, and they might be able to get a deal from a rental company to promote them as the "Official Car Rental Company of Walt Disney Word" (I realize that Enterprise, Alamo or National have desks at the WDW Car Care center, but are they "the official car rental..." ??)

As for the 30 Minutes Early Entry... Its a trade off. Sure its nice that it is now consistent, every day, every park, so you know what to expect. However having an hour before park opens, or an hour or two after park closes, allowed for getting more rides in during the EMH. So I am kind of torn.

With this change off-site guests will be unable to rope drop. Of course that is a disadvantage for those staying off site, or who are locals. That may eventually drive more guests to on-site stays. If that happens, Disney will have to adjust their timing and add more resort buses to handle the extra passengers in a timely manor to ensure resort guests can fully take advantage of the perk!

EMH ending allows them to have the After Hours parties more frequently without worrying about the impact on day guests. I can almost guarantee that's what they were going for on this

I already posted on another topic regarding Magical Express that I'm bummed so I won't go into that here. But this being a reason for the After Hours party is probably right! I didn't even think of that. It's smart from a business perspective because I love evening after hours. I mean I built my trips around them. I would pay for one after-hours event just to experience it. Pre-pandemic I had planned a now COVID-cancelled Disney Trip for May 2020 where I planned around evening magic hours but also had an After Hours ticket another night. There was room for both and knowing I can only have that with a ticketed event is disappointing. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for them in the long run.

I don't care about 30-minute early entry because 1) that means I got up even earlier and 2) I just love standing waiting for the opening show then going on my way. I plan everything to maximize my experience but I don't rush anything. I don't need to get a ride in before rushing back for the opening show or foregoing it to maximize more rides. There's a lot of decisions made lately which turn me off entirely from a WDW trip and I hate it say it but this move it's one of the things I'd give them my money on. They win that battle. But I'm saying that without children. Once kids come into the picture no way. That goes for the 30-minute early entry too, I can imagine it being a pain enough to get kids out just for rope drop. My heart goes out to parents with kiddos as these rates continue to climb with eliminated or replaced perks that may not be great for all parents.

I already posted on another topic regarding Magical Express that I'm bummed so I won't go into that here. But this being a reason for the After Hours party is probably right! I didn't even think of that. It's smart from a business perspective because I love evening after hours. I mean I built my trips around them. I would pay for one after-hours event just to experience it. Pre-pandemic I had planned a now COVID-cancelled Disney Trip for May 2020 where I planned around evening magic hours but also had an After Hours ticket another night. There was room for both and knowing I can only have that with a ticketed event is disappointing. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for them in the long run.

I don't care about 30-minute early entry because 1) that means I got up even earlier and 2) I just love standing waiting for the opening show then going on my way. I plan everything to maximize my experience but I don't rush anything. I don't need to get a ride in before rushing back for the opening show or foregoing it to maximize more rides. There's a lot of decisions made lately which turn me off entirely from a WDW trip and I hate it say it but this move it's one of the things I'd give them my money on. They win that battle. But I'm saying that without children. Once kids come into the picture no way. That goes for the 30-minute early entry too, I can imagine it being a pain enough to get kids out just for rope drop. My heart goes out to parents with kiddos as these rates continue to climb with eliminated or replaced perks that may not be great for all parents.
Similar boat. This has us planning to stay off site (or at Universal), buy 1/2 the overall day tickets and do more AH with the saved cash.

Similar boat. This has us planning to stay off site (or at Universal), buy 1/2 the overall day tickets and do more AH with the saved cash.
That's a smart strategy! I wonder how many others will do as such and if by not getting those rooms booked WDW's policy will change in a few years time.

Just FYI, Bags, Inc. is not out of business. They are a large company that do all sorts of third party things for airports, airlines, hotels, etc. Whatever contract they had with Disney for luggage pick up and deliver at the resorts has obviously ended though.
My report of Bags demise was greatly exaggerated. Thanks for the clarification!

this is a long thread, and I didn't read it all, so at the risk of reiterating ideas and sentiments already expressed, here are my thoughts...

Of all the changes Disney has been making, and I understand they need to during Covid, the loss of Magical Express, baggage delivery and Resort Airline Check-in are the ones that hurt the most.

Not having to grab our checked bags at the airport, and not having to find our way to the resort and drive to it (even if by GPS), along with getting boarding passes and checking our bags at the resort before heading to the airport on the way home set Walt Disney World vacations apart from other destinations.

For those coming from other countries, they didn't have to worry about our driving laws, finding their way around in a new location, etc. Can they use their phone as a GPS in the USA (they'd have to have a data plan that works in the USA).

This move raises the over all complexity and cost of a family's trip.

As a family with only 1 child, it was nice for us to only have him, his stroller and our carry-ons to worry about once we checked into our home airport. When we landed at MCO, not having to then also deal with our checked bags, a car seat, rental car, etc. was a blessing. When he was 1.5yrs we did do a trip where we stayed off site, we had my sister-in-law and her BF at the time with us. It wasn't as much fun even with 4 adults looking after him. The airport was new, so he was curious and wanted to explore! Now that he is 12, its much easier for us. We don't have a stroller, he can pull his own checked bag, etc. But our November 2020 trip was still not as fun, having to collect and bring our checked bags, and no airline check in on the way home so we had to stop at the airline counter before going to the TSA screening. The only reason we didn't use the Magical Express this trip was a friend from South Carolina joined us, so she picked us up at the airport along her way.

Consider a family of 4, with children 6 and under. They will need 2 car seats, and likely have strollers in addition to their bags. Managing all that becomes more stressful and difficult. They would need a larger vehicle to fit it all. So if they did a ride share, their options could be limited, and more expensive. Not all "Suv's" are created equally. Suppose one that can't hold it all arrives? what if the driver doesn't have enough car seats? Or what if the driver keeps car seats in the car, but its a family who doesn't need them, so there is less space for luggage, etc. Btw, what happens with Uber/Lyft if your flight is delayed or changed? do they wait for you? Do you have to call another and wait for it to arrive?

If a family rented a car, their costs could be higher too. (last time we needed a car seat was years ago, at that time Hertz charged for car seats, and it was more expensive to rent a mini-van than it was a car, or smaller SUV like a Chevy Equinox).

For those who use travel agents to book their Disney trips, will the TA be able to book the ground transportation for them, or is it up to the family to handle?

I also can't imaging the number of passengers arriving each day, trying to get their luggage and then taking rental cars or ride shares. Does MCO have the space for all the ride share drop offs/pick ups? How easy will it be to find your ride share driver/car in a sea of other people trying to find their ride? When it comes to rentals, Does MCO have the space to store the additional rental cars that will certainly be needed? With the advent of some rental companies doing a "skip the counter, grab a car" I would expect car rental counters to be crowded, but not overly so. With the demand for more rental cars, will rental prices go up? And what about more traffic between MCO and Disney with the extra cars?

I'm not confident Disney will introduce a service to replace Magical Express. If they had one, they should have announced it with the cancellation of ME, to head off the negative feelings created by this announcement. The Brightline train from MCO to DS wont be a solution since its not going to be ready until 2022 (assuming no delays). It wouldn't be a good experience. You'd have to depart the Airplane at MCO, presumably visit baggage claim to get your checked luggage, wait on & a board train with your luggage, disembark from train with all your stuff at DS to wait on resort bus. Think how long that will take. And if your room isn't ready, wait on a line at bell service with all of your luggage for them to hold your bags. Oh, and those complaining about "3hrs (4 at xmas/new years) before boarding" ME back to airport... this arrangement will probably take even longer.

I can see this as a money maker for Disney. They no longer have to cover the cost of ME transportation, baggage handling, and distributing boarding passes and "Tragical Express" envelopes. And they get income from those renting a car who will be parking at the resorts. Oh, and they might be able to get a deal from a rental company to promote them as the "Official Car Rental Company of Walt Disney Word" (I realize that Enterprise, Alamo or National have desks at the WDW Car Care center, but are they "the official car rental..." ??)

As for the 30 Minutes Early Entry... Its a trade off. Sure its nice that it is now consistent, every day, every park, so you know what to expect. However having an hour before park opens, or an hour or two after park closes, allowed for getting more rides in during the EMH. So I am kind of torn.

With this change off-site guests will be unable to rope drop. Of course that is a disadvantage for those staying off site, or who are locals. That may eventually drive more guests to on-site stays. If that happens, Disney will have to adjust their timing and add more resort buses to handle the extra passengers in a timely manor to ensure resort guests can fully take advantage of the perk!

There have to be reasons for cutting this, but cost savings wasn’t among them. DME practically paid for itself in its ability to keep guests and their money in the Disney bubble and in the way it allowed Disney to jack up its onsite prices far more than the per guest cost of DME because of its perceived value.

Agree with everything and watching those Cavalcades has made me realize how much I would probably hate the extra merry Mickey party pay for crowded event in future!
If you pay attention,you will begin to understand how much is manipulated by Disney. They excel in analyzing their data.
Early morns are often greeted with attractions that are not really ready to be opened and have maybe only one Tower of Terror elevator side operating , for example. That half hour will be not worth much.
On the other hand it is amazing how fast they can get long lines through after park closing!
I feel like I have been treated fairly rudely by service in most of the resort quick services... I am looking at you POP. Do the castmembers really hate me cause eye contact feels that way. Maybe they just think I am a moron. Anyway I have learned to bring groceries if staying on property.
I visit often but am starting to realize a really nice Resort with pool and ocean view is calling.
I also learned how much fun Universal was for the holidays. I stayed at the Hard Rock for express pass and then a family pool view suite at Cabana Bay. Wow Wish all the DVC had family suites like these! Lots of privacy and their quick service is functioning normally and lazy river and bowling alley and they are offering great Annual Passes now to purchase! They actually thank their guests, even the guy taking my temp specifically thanked us for visiting Universal Cabana Bay this holiday. I guess I am not a moron after all!
Hope Disney reads this!

Do you think Disney forgot the weather pattern in Orlando area for summertime? I guess they want us to return to the pool in evenings cause families can not afford paying extra entry fee for the evening hours!
But you have to admire Disney creativity to manipulate one day = 2 days admission pricing!

Last edited:
I feel like I have been treated fairly rudely by service in most of the resort quick services...
Wow this is really interesting to me because I stay on the property because I thought most cast members were really friendly and consistent. Being on property kept me in a good mood (it has been well documented WDW is the only time I'm always in a good mood). However, when I stayed on property in 2019, I also had some negative cast member experiences. Boat captains from my resort to DS wouldn't greet me just kept waving their hand repeating themselves, I had an issue checkout day with housekeeping badgering me 2 hours before my checkout time, quick service cast members who hated me for existing among a few other things. The truth is as bad as I just made it sound it wasn't really a big deal and I dealt with way more great cast members than not but reading your post it really shows how important consistency in the entirety of the experience is.

Looping back to the ME, the irony is the standard expected was actually set by WDW so when it fails to meet its own standards it's awfully apparent.

I didn't even think about this. The logistics of removing Magical Express seems almost impossible. I have 2 kids and we travel with a ton of crap for a week-long trip. I can muster enough fingers and arms to get all our bags (and various other items) from the baggage claim to the curb, but the idea of hundreds of families with small, travel-weary children, lugging all their belongings to a hard-to-find ride share spot seems like a complete disaster. Mix in hundreds of new rental cars per day full of tourists who have never driven around the area. It will make MCO hell.

But, as I said in my last post, Disney doesn't seem to realize that some people only go to WDW because of these conveniences and wouldn't bear the hell of not having them. We never do the DDP because my family and I can get by with small meals throughout the day. It was never worth it for us. But we have family friends who visit Disney often and they always do it. The husband says he knows it's not the most cost-effective thing to do, but it just takes something off his mind. He doesn't have to look at exorbitant receipts several times a day. They can just 'go' and enjoy themselves, and that makes the cost worth it.

Why can't Disney understand this??

PEOPLE LOVE DISNEY WORLD BECAUSE THEY CAN TURN OFF THEIR BRAIN AND ENJOY THE MOMENT.

So they can not have the stress of worrying about transportation. Not have the stress of lugging bags around. Not have the stress of walking up to a ride and seeing a 2-hour wait. Not have the stress of constantly seeing and thinking about the bill you're running up. Not have the stress of fitting everything in when you know you have extra time after the park closes.

If I have to deal with all that stuff, Disney World becomes too hectic and crowded and full of anxiety. Why am I going to pay a premium for that?

Last edited:
I didn't even think about this. The logistics of removing Magical Express seems almost impossible. I have 2 kids and we travel with a ton of crap for a week-long trip. I can muster enough fingers and arms to get all our bags (and various other items) from the baggage claim to the curb, but the idea of hundreds of families with small, travel-weary children, lugging all their belongings to a hard-to-find ride share spot seems like a complete disaster. Mix in hundreds of new rental cars per day full of tourists who have never driven around the area. It will make MCO hell.

But, as I said in my last post, Disney doesn't seem to realize that some people only go to WDW because of these conveniences and wouldn't bear the hell of not having them. We never do the DDP because my family and I can get by with small meals throughout the day. It was never worth it for us. But we have family friends who visit Disney often and they always do it. The husband says he knows it's not the most cost-effective thing to do, but it just takes something off his mind. He doesn't have to look at exorbitant receipts several times a day. They can just 'go' and enjoy themselves, and that makes the cost worth it.

Why can't Disney understand this??

PEOPLE LOVE DISNEY WORLD BECAUSE THEY CAN TURN OFF THEIR BRAIN AND ENJOY THE MOMENT.

So they can not have the stress of worrying about transportation. Not have the stress of lugging bags around. Not have the stress of walking up to a ride and seeing a 2-hour wait. Not have the stress of constantly seeing and thinking about the bill you're running up. Not have the stress of fitting everything in when you know you have extra time after the park closes.

If I have to deal with all that stuff, Disney World becomes too hectic and crowded and full of anxiety. Why am I going to pay a premium for that?

I think that won’t be as much of an issue as you think. People managed to get from MCO to WDW and back before DME (and that was before ride-sharing, when you only had cabs/rental cars/shuttles to rely on. While WDW has grown since DME was introduced, it hasn’t grown so much that MCO will suddenly be a nightmare without it.

I think that won’t be as much of an issue as you think. People managed to get from MCO to WDW and back before DME (and that was before ride-sharing, when you only had cabs/rental cars/shuttles to rely on. While WDW has grown since DME was introduced, it hasn’t grown so much that MCO will suddenly be a nightmare without it.

I'd say that's partially true, but more significant than you would think. DME was very likely at least partially a result of growing issues at MCO and transportation overall. In the decade leading up to the launch of DME (1995-04), Disney had opened a new theme park, a new water park, and went from 13 resorts to 21. They went from ~13,000 onsite rooms to 23,000. So after being open for 25 years, they nearly doubled onsite hotel capacity in less than 10. All of that is going to put a strain on their transportation infrastructure. Not to mention they had to offer something in the way of convenience to incentivize people to stay in all those rooms. But they created MDE, and that was an expensive but significant help in getting all those incremental tourists to the right place efficiently.

Since the launch of DME, Disney has built another 7 resorts and added another 4,100+ rooms. If you add in Saratoga Springs, which opened just before the launch of DME, WDW has increased its onsite hotel capacity another 30% since the launch of DME. That's roughly an additional 20,000 new guests per day checking in and out of rooms.

Not to mention, in 2004, combined attendance at the four parks was 40.5 million. In 2018, it was 58.3 million. That's 45% more people crammed in with no new parks added. That's crazy.

So when Disney kills DME, they'll be operating with 30% more onsite rooms and 45% more overall park guests than the last time they didn't have the service. Those numbers may not seem large, but from a business and logistics standpoint they're massive.

But I think what's important to point out here is that you're correct -- it's a significant but not insurmountable change for Disney. What it is, though, is a huge inconvenience for its guests.

Last edited:
I will have to disagree. Without DME, it just went from just getting off the plane and only having to carry your carryon's and laptop bag(s) and heading straight to DME, where they get your bags for you. To now needing to go down to luggage claim and then getting, for us, 4 suitcases and now carry/roll all of this to a form of transportation. Yes, it can be done but it's a BIG difference. Plus, we have lived in Orlando for 18 years before moving to northwest Florida and I can tell you that MCO has become a LOT more crowded over those years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter