Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

My only concern with that plan though is about getting rideshare that early...from experience it tends to be a little dicey and that was pre-Covid. I remember having a rough go of it trying to get a Lyft for 7a EMH at AK one trip.

In February, I was trying to get to the COVID testing site by 8:30 and in spite of having pre-scheduled a Lyft, the app searched and searched for about 5 minutes, finding no one to pick it up. I tried the Uber app and it flat-out said "No cars available" so I ended up calling a Mears taxi to get there from the Poly. Once I was done, I had 2 Lyft drivers initially pick up the ride then drop it (probably for something they thought would be more lucrative even though I was going back to Disney property) before one Uber driver finally picked it up as he was starting a new ride to AK, so I waited about 15 minutes for him to get there. He said they are ALWAYS busy in the morning with breakfasts and park openings and that mine was not the first tale he had heard of rides picked up and dropped and picked up and dropped. Almost makes me wish we could bid on the rides - and then you're locked into the rate you bid (so special snowflakes don't bid like $200 and then try to pay whatever it normally would have been).

You know I'm not a rope dropper lol, but I hadn't even thought about not being able to smell all the wonderful smells of Disney! So glad we will be able to smell stuff...not to mention just be able to breathe in the sweltering heat that is predicted! I hope I can still smell a little of the GF main building's wonderful smell through my mask!
I was not able to smell the lovely scent of the GF lobby on this recent trip because I have not recovered all my sense of smell since having Covid last winter. I kept asking my sister, what am I missing? Can you smell it?? lol

You will be able to smell it through the mask. We did and we also smelled all the great Soarin scents through the mask and the FOP smells. They may even have compensated for the masks by making the scents stronger because it sure seemed to us to be better than when we weren't wearing them.
I couldn't even smell the skunk scent in Journey into Imagination! Losing my sense of smell during Covid and not fully recovering it yet made for a different trip.

I couldn't even smell the skunk scent in Journey into Imagination! Losing my sense of smell during Covid and not fully recovering it yet made for a different trip.
So sorry to hear this, but I hope it comes back soon! So glad you are ok though...we lost a family member to Covid just as several other people I know did! So glad we are coming to the end of this in the US, but other countries are still struggling so badly! I know the parks will likely be a nightmare when I'm there next weekend, but I will be so happy just to be back and get a taste of normal life again!

For the posters that are at Disney right now, have you spotted any Minnie Vans? I saw someone post somewhere yesterday that they saw a few around property. If they are back, I'm more comfortable booking a Topolino breakfast for August. Just a little worried about finding good transportation to get to Riviera from GF.

So sorry to hear this, but I hope it comes back soon! So glad you are ok though...we lost a family member to Covid just as several other people I know did! So glad we are coming to the end of this in the US, but other countries are still struggling so badly! I know the parks will likely be a nightmare when I'm there next weekend, but I will be so happy just to be back and get a taste of normal life again!
Thank you so much. My problem is nothing compared to what you mentioned re: Covid losses. My dear friend lost her husband to it. So very sad.

Almost makes me wish we could bid on the rides - and then you're locked into the rate you bid (so special snowflakes don't bid like $200 and then try to pay whatever it normally would have been).
Well, from what I read about Uber and Lyft from actual (former) drivers on the Transportation board, if they did that, the driver wouldn't get much if any of the extra money. When you're charged extra due to surge pricing, Uber/Lyft keep almost all of it - the driver gets only a tiny bit.

I may have missed something.
What time does the walkway open to MK? Close?

TY

Also

Any update on EPCOT monorail?

TY
When we were there last week a sign said walkway hours are from (this time) to (this time) but the times were blank the entire time. We walked over once at around 6:30am and it was open. They will hold you at the boat dock where security is if the park isnt open yet. But they hold everyone. The monorail people are held at the monorail ramp, the bus people are held back closer to the bus stop and the TTC ferry isnt even there yet. The minute they get the signal around. 7:15:am(for a 8am official opening) they will let you head for the tap stiles.
someone once said they close the walkway about an hour after park closing because they dont want anybody being close to the MK entrance at night but not sure if this is true. We didn't test it out. Be aware though that the swing bridge opens to let the Electrical Light Parade out of the canal around 8:30 pm but it swings shut again after the barges are out, maybe about 8:35-8:40 pm and then again it opens to let them back in around 10pm. We saw quite a few people go to the bridge on purpose to watch it open, watch the water parade and then head back to the resort

Yes, we just got back on Tues. and the monorail and boat start running around 7 or a little before, but they will hold you at the monorail ramp or the boat dock until the park is ready to open.....but when they do, you will be among the first since the TTC boat isnt there yet and you have a shorter walk to get to the tap stiles.
Thanks so much, @Katie1174!

We caught the boat this morning--our room is a very short walk from the boat dock--and got to MK about 7:20 or so. We got so much done this morning! Rode PPF twice, Pooh, Philharmagic twice, iasw (once is enough for that!), HM twice, then the Country Bears.

Had a great lunch at Skipper's Canteen followed by a delish Dole Whip. Back at the room now. Great morning. I'm a complete RD convert.

Why didn’t I think of this before? This is a great idea. I’m only a morning person at Disney though...when I do go into the office I get up at 6am complaining the whole time and am not human until I get caffeine in me. At Disney? I turn into Minnie on rope drop days.:rotfl2:

My only concern with that plan though is about getting rideshare that early...from experience it tends to be a little dicey and that was pre-Covid. I remember having a rough go of it trying to get a Lyft for 7a EMH at AK one trip.

I may have missed a better response, but I did Lyft a couple of times on this trip as well as my previous trips - if you book the Lyft before 6:30-, you won't have as much of a problem - the surge seems to start around 7-ish. It allows the drivers to get a fare in before the rush begins and still hit those rope droppers.

I've searched the thread but couldn't find the answer. Does GF have the large walt-mounted shampoo and conditioner dispensers? My daughter has long thick hair, so those make it so much easier. So excited for our trip later this week!

We caught the boat this morning--our room is a very short walk from the boat dock--and got to MK about 7:20 or so. We got so much done this morning! Rode PPF twice, Pooh, Philharmagic twice, iasw (once is enough for that!), HM twice, then the Country Bears.

Had a great lunch at Skipper's Canteen followed by a delish Dole Whip. Back at the room now. Great morning. I'm a complete RD convert.
I am happy to hear you had a great day. Rope drop is the best. Its so hard to get up so early on vacation but totally worth the effort if you want to minimize wait times.
We ate lunch at Skippers Canteen too! And had dole whips after too!

I've searched the thread but couldn't find the answer. Does GF have the large walt-mounted shampoo and conditioner dispensers? My daughter has long thick hair, so those make it so much easier. So excited for our trip later this week!
No, they have individual plastic tubes of everything. You get some in the shower itself and some on the double sink outside the shower room. If she uses up the tubes, just ask housekeeping for more. They will gladly provide. Their Mousekeeping is the best, pre and during covid times.

Oh, i forgot to add we too were in Conch Key facing the park and boat dock. My hubby would look out the balcony and say, first boat is here, lets go down. One time he sat there for about 15 minutes waiting for the first people of the morning with no takers so we went ahead and got a personal boat ride that morning. Took us 2 minutes from room to boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter