• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Hi all! We checked in a garden view room last night. I called and requested Sago Key upper level and we have a beautiful clean room on the 4th floor in Sago Key. I pre ordered two welcome desserts for my sister in law and my kiddos. It was so neat walking in after a long day of traveling to the music playing and the deserts out on display. Since we’re DVC we never stay on the resort side anymore and this has been wonderful so far!

Have a wonderful trip!

I can understand why Disney is not starting the dining plan, just a bummer. It is what it is. I hope it will be easier to get reservations at our favorite restaurants as they open. Especially when you take into consideration when they are opening and also the cost of a dinner.
I can only hope in August scheduling improves IF the impact of COVID declines and more restrictions are lifted.

Time will tell.

I can understand why Disney is not starting the dining plan, just a bummer. It is what it is. I hope it will be easier to get reservations at our favorite restaurants as they open. Especially when you take into consideration when they are opening and also the cost of a dinner.
I can only hope in August scheduling improves IF the impact of COVID declines and more restrictions are lifted.

Time will tell.

Disney is calling back more CMs and hiring so hopefully that’s a good sign of things to come. I’ve never had such a hard time booking ADRs until this trip. I did manage to get what I wanted eventually but it was really really rough going.

All the cake talk is making me want to get one but I don’t think I can manage one by myself even with my sweet tooth.

Disney is calling back more CMs and hiring so hopefully that’s a good sign of things to come. I’ve never had such a hard time booking ADRs until this trip. I did manage to get what I wanted eventually but it was really really rough going.

All the cake talk is making me want to get one but I don’t think I can manage one by myself even with my sweet tooth.

I just made mine this morning for the first week of our trip and I was able to get everything I wanted! Hate I have to wait for the next 60 day window to open for the following week, though. Happy you were able to get everything you wanted!!!
And that does look like a big cake! I wonder if you can get a smaller version? 🤔

Last edited:

The cake was actually pretty reasonable in size. It fed 4 people two decent slices of cake if lasted about 2 days. Hope that helps!
I just made mine this morning for the first week of our trip and I was able to get everything I wanted! Hate I have to wait for the next 60 day window to open for the following week, though. Happy you were able to get everything you wanted!!!
And that does look like a big cake! I wonder if you can get a smaller version? 🤔

What would be the best way to get to the Poly for a Kona Cafe dining reservation? Can you take the monorail to the TTC and walk? Is it better to just walk from the GF? If the latter, approximately how long will it take? Right now, it's breakfast, but also considering a dinner there. Is the walk fairly well populated after dark? Thanks!

What would be the best way to get to the Poly for a Kona Cafe dining reservation? Can you take the monorail to the TTC and walk? Is it better to just walk from the GF? If the latter, approximately how long will it take? Right now, it's breakfast, but also considering a dinner there. Is the walk fairly well populated after dark? Thanks!

It’s a quick walk over!! About 10 minutes. Can take the boat, too, if you don’t feel like walking. Monorail would be the last choice, would take the longest (passes MK, CR and TTA, THEN Poly!) Enjoy! (PS - not sure when you’re going, but the monorail option is not available at this time. Forgot to mention. Hopefully sometime in July it will be back).

Last edited:
Just got back yesterday, we loved The Grand Floridian. I think it shot to the top spot and moved The Polynesian down a notch.
Had room 8522,it was right next to the elevator only heard people a few times. My son and his family were in 8524 just around the corner from the elevator. It was a little smaller than our room but just as nice. Both rooms had 2 queen beds.

Just got back yesterday, we loved The Grand Floridian. I think it shot to the top spot and moved The Polynesian down a notch.
Had room 8522,it was right next to the elevator only heard people a few times. My son and his family were in 8524 just around the corner from the elevator. It was a little smaller than our room but just as nice. Both rooms had 2 queen beds.

So happy to hear you loved it!!!!!!! 🙂 Great view!!!! 😍

I took some, but they are coming out sideways, sorry.

lol I deleted the picture comment after seeing you posted your room view! Before posting, just fully rotate your pictures and then post. It will set them straight, for some reason!

The quickest way to go from GF to Poly is to walk. You could also take the boat if your room is close to the boat dock, but make sure the boat is traveling to the Poly next. The monorail station at the Poly is closed for construction, but even after it opens, it is the long way around and would take a lot longer than walking. :)

The walkway travels around the edge of the lagoon and is well lit at night. :)

We just got back yesterday too! Unfortunately our experience wasn't that great (there were a few issues during our stay), so I think we'll be trying a different resort next time. But I did enjoy our view (9442, theme park view - mostly faces contemporary, but MK is readily visible from the deck) and the GF main building is very nice! Wonder if we ever bumped into each other? :)

We just got back yesterday too! Unfortunately our experience wasn't that great (there were a few issues during our stay), so I think we'll be trying a different resort next time. But I did enjoy our view (9442, theme park view - mostly faces contemporary, but MK is readily visible from the deck) and the GF main building is very nice! Wonder if we ever bumped into each other? :)
Curious if you don't mind sharing what issues you had... I'm in theory doing a split stay there late June. I had a good stay there once and an OK stay another time. Trying to figure out if I want to switch that part of the split.

Curious if you don't mind sharing what issues you had... I'm in theory doing a split stay there late June. I had a good stay there once and an OK stay another time. Trying to figure out if I want to switch that part of the split.

Without getting into it too much (I don't want to be a downer), if you were to go on trip advisor and filter by recent 1 or 2 star reviews, I'd say those largely align with our recent experience. We had an issue with a noisy neighbor that was not addressed at all and handled poorly, moody/disinterested staff at check-in and any other time we interacted with the front desk, luggage check problems, weird housekeeping issues, and the furniture in the room was visibly run-down and even stained in one case... so was the hall carpeting in the outer buildings.

That said, the exteriors and the main lobby are still gorgeous, and the cast members we interacted with when dining (Grand Floridian Cafe, Narcoossee's, Enchanted Rose) at the resort were great, as were the CMs in the parks. It was our first time trying the GF since our "usual spot" resort is still closed. I'm grateful we got to try it, and loved the view/ resort location! But I don't think we'll be back for a long time based on how we were treated by the hotel staff throughout the stay, coupled with the price you're paying for a property that really does need a renovation (or at least, our building/room really did).

I don't think our experience was the norm per se, but it does seem like it's not a unique, one-off situation either based on some of the reviews I saw. Seems like it can go either way!

I believe all the outer building rooms have balconies. Rooms on the 5th floor, the dormer rooms, have an enclosed balcony, which would obstruct the view when sitting down. Other DISers please correct me if I am wrong. Maybe someone on here knows which rooms in particular with a lagoon view have king beds. I could not find any on touring plans room views, but often the configurations are wrong on that site.
Well I went ahead and requested a full balcony just to be safe. We are really looking forward to this trip. Thought we would try this resort since the French Quarter isn't open yet. :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter