Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Does anyone know the what the building numbers are at the Grand Floridian? I don't see them listed on the map, only by name. When I called earlier to ask about which building is being worked on the cast member only referred to them by number.

Construction Moves to Sugar Loaf Building at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort

Signs now re-direct traffic to the Magic Kingdom boat launch as construction blocks the old pathway.

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8789

Sugar Loaf Building Construction at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Sugar Loaf Building Construction
grand floridian construction jan 2023 8791

A new concrete pathway is still drying but will eventually lead to Gasparilla Island Grill.

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8793
grand floridian construction jan 2023 8794

1674418238575.jpeg

Narcoossee’s closed last summer for an extended refurbishment.

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8825

It’s surrounded by construction walls and shingles were removed from most of its roof. Black weather-proof sheathing protects the building from water damage.

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8827

1674418300993.jpeg
1674418339489.jpeg

*Click link for additional pics

We are fairly new to DVC (bought VGF last May). This is our first stay at VGF on points. We have a Resort Studio room booked for the first week of May, just DH and I for our anniversary. I LOVE everything about GF, but my DH, who by the way has never stayed there, and has only walked around the resort and eaten at Narcoossee’s and Grand Floridian Cafe, thinks it’s stuffy and snobby and isn’t thrilled to stay there. I know there’s lots of construction going on, which is fine and doesn’t bother me a bit. I’m worried DH isn’t going to give it a fair chance because he won’t get to see it in all its glory. Am I over thinking this? Is the construction and areas that are blocked off going to be overwhelming? To me, as long as the pools are open, that’s all I need. We are mostly park open to park close people. The walkway to MK will not be closed off due to the remodel I’m assuming because I definitely want to be able to walk there. I guess I’m just wondering how people felt about everything going on there that has stayed recently. Plus by the time May comes, how much of the construction will be done or left to do? I just lucked up and snagged a BLT studio for the same dates, but I don’t want to hold on to both for too long so I can give someone else the opportunity to book the one I drop. We haven’t stayed in a BLT studio and I have not read great things about it’s size. It seems only the location is a positive. We did stay at BLT 2 BR for our welcome home stay in September. It wasn’t my favorite room design and I didn’t get all the “Disney feels” in there like I would want to, but the location was good and we had a MK view. Another factor is BLT is less points than VGF. DH says he doesn’t care where we stay, I just want him to love GF like I do. That’s where we bought our DVC contract at after all! I just need some advice or reassurance that I should just keep VGF and that he will love it.

....just curious: does anyone know the difference between a lagoon view and a lake view? :confused3

We are fairly new to DVC (bought VGF last May). This is our first stay at VGF on points. We have a Resort Studio room booked for the first week of May, just DH and I for our anniversary. I LOVE everything about GF, but my DH, who by the way has never stayed there, and has only walked around the resort and eaten at Narcoossee’s and Grand Floridian Cafe, thinks it’s stuffy and snobby and isn’t thrilled to stay there. I know there’s lots of construction going on, which is fine and doesn’t bother me a bit. I’m worried DH isn’t going to give it a fair chance because he won’t get to see it in all its glory. Am I over thinking this? Is the construction and areas that are blocked off going to be overwhelming? To me, as long as the pools are open, that’s all I need. We are mostly park open to park close people. The walkway to MK will not be closed off due to the remodel I’m assuming because I definitely want to be able to walk there. I guess I’m just wondering how people felt about everything going on there that has stayed recently. Plus by the time May comes, how much of the construction will be done or left to do? I just lucked up and snagged a BLT studio for the same dates, but I don’t want to hold on to both for too long so I can give someone else the opportunity to book the one I drop. We haven’t stayed in a BLT studio and I have not read great things about it’s size. It seems only the location is a positive. We did stay at BLT 2 BR for our welcome home stay in September. It wasn’t my favorite room design and I didn’t get all the “Disney feels” in there like I would want to, but the location was good and we had a MK view. Another factor is BLT is less points than VGF. DH says he doesn’t care where we stay, I just want him to love GF like I do. That’s where we bought our DVC contract at after all! I just need some advice or reassurance that I should just keep VGF and that he will love it.
I would take an old non-refurbished cash room at GF over a BLT studio any day! The BLT studios are very tiny. If you didn't feel special in the 2-bedroom this definitely won't do it! I would personally stick with VGF. The only thing BLT studios have over VGF resort studios would be the full kitchenette.

Sago Cay will probably be the last building converted and is close to the walking path, but I can't see it being closed. Disney rerouted the Poly/GF walking path during construction. I would expect it to stay open.

....just curious: does anyone know the difference between a lagoon view and a lake view? :confused3
Lagoon views are the cash rooms and DVC resort studios. Lake views are in the original dedicated DVC building. I guess the original dedicated DVC building technically has views of Bay Lake and not only the Seven Seas Lagoon? You mostly see CR and Poly from the original dedicated DVC building unless you are in the grand villa.

I have a trip booked for Mid March for myself, my sister and a couple of our cousins. I have a 1 bedroom at VGF. That building wont be under any construction- am I correct? While the lobby will be, will the lounges and restautants still be open inside the main building?

Also, I’m wondering about daytime noise now because we also booked a poolside cabana for one of our days and now I’m thinking the constuction could put a damper on that and maybe that money can be spent elsewhere? Any thoughts on that?

TIA
Dee

I was at gf in Nov and Jan . The construction really was only near the boat dock but was a minor inconvenience. The new rooms are so gorgeous ! I have a few more nights booked in May because we loved the new look!

I was just about to write to def stay at gf but if @kimmar067 is correct the lobby remodel could change things for you. Don’t feel bad about holding a room, I often have 2 or 3. When we cancel someone WILL snag it up.

For me the lobby won’t bother me since we go so often as AP holders. For your dh that might be a deal breaker. However let’s see what they do. It could be a small section at a time and a small impact or a total nightmare. Time will tell.

Any guesses on how long the lobby refurb will take? We are going 4/15.
Based on past lobby refurb at gf and other lobbies like cr and poly , MONTHS. They will try to work in sections. They need to leave access to shops, and dining in the main building.

Until it starts we won’t know how they are doing it.

It’s hard , it can or cannot impact a stay too much. It all depends on what your priorities are. I remember one trip to PFQ, the lobby was a thin walkway way through it all lined in wood. No I did not enjoy that but I slept in my room, swam in the pool, rode rides in the parks. Overall it wasn’t a big deal.

I often end up at resorts with construction. I book most trips within 100 days and resorts with construction tend to have the most availability.

Pool closures, rooms remodel with scaffolding, lobbies ripped apart? Yep been there done that.

And yet……. We had a wonderful time. You just work around it. Pool closed? Take kiddos to a water park…. Lobby closed ? Visit a nearby resort….. scaffolding? Just ignore it and enjoy the grounds that are still looking good.

I’m a 1/2 glass full person. I’m just always so happy to be at WDW , construction or not.

Last edited:
I have a trip booked for Mid March for myself, my sister and a couple of our cousins. I have a 1 bedroom at VGF. That building wont be under any construction- am I correct? While the lobby will be, will the lounges and restautants still be open inside the main building?

Also, I’m wondering about daytime noise now because we also booked a poolside cabana for one of our days and now I’m thinking the constuction could put a damper on that and maybe that money can be spent elsewhere? Any thoughts on that?

TIA
Dee
Refurbishments have been completed in the VGF building. You should not have any noise issues at the Beach Pool, where the cabanas are located, as it is not close to any current construction. Enjoy!

...we received en email this weekend that indoor construction/rehab on the lobby area is set to begin March 1. Boy am I bummed....
Bummer I have RPC booked for March 25th. It's only one night so I will make the best of it...not happy about it though.
There are two bodies of water Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon that are connected. Maybe just which building you are in? In any case the view should be pretty much the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter