Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

The schedule for the cabin refurb here:
http://**************.net/2015/12/16/the-refurbed-cabins-at-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort/

I loved the location of 2100. We were in 2136 which was right by the path to the laundry room. Sounds like Disney has something in the works for this loop but information is lacking on exact details.
Thank you so much for all of the information! We just booked our reservation, but there was no way to request which loop we wanted in the online reservation form. Is this something we should call about? Do we call Fort Wilderness directly or the Disney booking number? And how far in advance should we make our request? Thanks!

Just got back from a stay at the cabins. A few things.

2700 and 2800 loops are both closed for refurbishment.

We stayed in the 2300 loop in a refurbished cabin. The new queen bed is awesome and very comfortable. The sleeper sofa was NOT. It was very uncomfortable.

New TV was glorious and great for watching the super bowl (also helps that my team won).

Although we missed the full sized oven the convection oven worked fine. However, it may take longer to cook some things (we made tater tots to go with the burgers I was grilling on Super Bowl Sunday).

the new layout of the rooms make them feel much more spacious, but we missed the pantry. The cabinet isn't quite large enough for cereal boxes so they had to go in sideways.

Transportation warning - if you go during high winds the boats will not run. We ended up on busses twice due to this and almost missed our flight as a result (they had just shut down the boats and the busses had not started running yet). I'd recommend checking the weather and if high winds are forecast then have some kind of backup plan to get back to the Fort if you need to be somewhere like dinner or the airport. We had just finished doing some last minute shopping at the Contemporary when this occurred and had to run over to the Magic Kingdom for the bus.

Trail's end chicken meal takeout is the best value on the property. You can get 10 pieces of white meat chicken with two sides and five large pieces of cornbread for $30. It's enough for two meals (especially if they put in 10 chicken breasts) for four people. I don't think the local fried chicken places where I live offer that kind of deal.

The last thing is that I learned is that a lot of people confuse the Fort with Wilderness Lodge. I don't know how many times I ran into someone who asked where we were staying and when I said "Fort Wilderness" they thought I was talking about Wilderness Lodge. Better to just say "at the campground" even if you are in a cabin otherwise they think you are staying at the Lodge in a regular hotel room. ;)

Oh one more thing - the cabins are glorious if you have young kids. Only at the cabins/campground can you say to your six year old son "TAKE THE LIGHTSABER AND GO OUTSIDE"

Thank you so much for all of the information! We just booked our reservation, but there was no way to request which loop we wanted in the online reservation form. Is this something we should call about? Do we call Fort Wilderness directly or the Disney booking number? And how far in advance should we make our request? Thanks!
You can call the Disney line and they can add the request to your reservation. Or you can do it when you do online check in 60 days before your stay. Online check in gives you a form to check the loop you want.

You can call the Disney line and they can add the request to your reservation. Or you can do it when you do online check in 60 days before your stay. Online check in gives you a form to check the loop you want.
Thank you!

What is the earliest you can get to MK from FW using the boat?
The boat launch to the Magic Kingdom begins operating 30 minutes before the park opens. Another launch operates between FW, Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge in that order in the morning. Later in the day, it will go from FW, to WL, then to contemporary. That launch begins operation about 6:45. Then it is about a 10 minute walk if you walk quickly from the Contemporary to MK. In November, we took the boat to the contemporary then walked to get in for our early breakfast ADR at 8 am.

The boat launch to the Magic Kingdom begins operating 30 minutes before the park opens. Another launch operates between FW, Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge in that order in the morning. Later in the day, it will go from FW, to WL, then to contemporary. That launch begins operation about 6:45. Then it is about a 10 minute walk if you walk quickly from the Contemporary to MK. In November, we took the boat to the contemporary then walked to get in for our early breakfast ADR at 8 am.

Great info - thanks! We have a 7:00 ADR at Chef Mickey at the Contemporary. Think we could get there in time on the boat? I could either delay the ADR to 7:15 or use a different mode of transporation.

Great info - thanks! We have a 7:00 ADR at Chef Mickey at the Contemporary. Think we could get there in time on the boat? I could either delay the ADR to 7:15 or use a different mode of transporation.
If you got to the boat dock at 630 and got on a boat by 645, you could make it. It's a quick ride. But you'd be depending on disney transportation to be moving on time which can be hit or miss. If you are worried about making it, you could always get a cab. I've never taken a cab though but people recommend it for those very early ADRs.

Can't wait for vacation Friday at cabins. We love the cabins! We'll get a golf cart, well worth the price. My daughter is running in The Princess Half Marathon on Sunday, that'll be fun too. We'll go to MK to watch the runner, very early.

We are planning a tent camping trip May 3-7th for our first trip to FW. I have been super excited about everything until the last couple days and I've noticed on many blogs the complaints about transportation within FW. We don't want to pay for a golf cart rental (budget purposes) and a bicycle rental is also out of the question due to the age of our kids. Am I crazy to think that we can walk/ride buses around the resort to get where we are going? We will be spending 2 days at MK and a rest day in-between to enjoy the resort.

We are planning a tent camping trip May 3-7th for our first trip to FW. I have been super excited about everything until the last couple days and I've noticed on many blogs the complaints about transportation within FW. We don't want to pay for a golf cart rental (budget purposes) and a bicycle rental is also out of the question due to the age of our kids. Am I crazy to think that we can walk/ride buses around the resort to get where we are going? We will be spending 2 days at MK and a rest day in-between to enjoy the resort.
I think you'll be fine. We did rent a golf cart but didn't not have it in the first or last day. I thought the busses ran very frequently. Depending on where you are, walking will be fine too. You just have to go in with the realistic expectation that a bus may have just went by your stop and it may be 10-15 minutes for the next one.

You'll be fine. We intended to get a cart for our off day but never did. We found the internal buses very quick and easy.

Just got back from a stay at the cabins. A few things.

Trail's end chicken meal takeout is the best value on the property. You can get 10 pieces of white meat chicken with two sides and five large pieces of cornbread for $30. It's enough for two meals (especially if they put in 10 chicken breasts) for four people. I don't think the local fried chicken places where I live offer that kind of deal.

"

I didn't know Trail's End had a take out area, is it attached to the restaurant? Is the chicken meal take out available at dinner time?

Thanks!

Just posted more than 40 photos of the refurbed cabins on my site.
Those photos are super helpful. Thanks so much!! Are there any significant child-proofing issues that you have noticed in the refurbed cabins? The two televisions are attached to the walls, correct? I'm just trying to think about what I may need to bring to child-proof the cabin for my two-year old. She, of course, likes to get in to cabinets and drawers, climb on things, open doors, etc.

Hey Everyone, I used to be a Disney Veteran. First 28 years of my life I was there 20 times. Sad part is I haven't been there since 2003. So I totally feel a like a born again virgin! I'm looking for some help. We stayed at FW a few times when I was little in a RV driven by my dear old dad. Since growing up my usually spots were the delux resorts. I am planning a trip for next January am was so thinking my favorite WL. Well that's not going to work. My wonderful blended family is too big. It will be my DH, myself and 4 of our children; ages 22, 22, 20 AND almost 3. We are planning specifically for next Jan for a few reasons but most budget friendly is my baby will still be under 3 and that means free! Also it is my 20th anniversary with work so transportation will be provided free of charge.
Now that I have talked your ears off, I am totally thinking of a cabin for the 6 of us. What do you think. We wil want to kill the "older kids" by the end of the trip? I really think they will be off on their own only around to sleep. My DH does not do well with crowds, he tends to get cranky. Is it true that back at the cabin is like a retreat in itself?
2 of the older kids are from his first marriage and they tend to be a little high maintenance, will it seem like second class to them? I don't think anywhere in Disney could be classified as that but my hubby divorced for a reason right?

Hey Everyone, I used to be a Disney Veteran. First 28 years of my life I was there 20 times. Sad part is I haven't been there since 2003. So I totally feel a like a born again virgin! I'm looking for some help. We stayed at FW a few times when I was little in a RV driven by my dear old dad. Since growing up my usually spots were the delux resorts. I am planning a trip for next January am was so thinking my favorite WL. Well that's not going to work. My wonderful blended family is too big. It will be my DH, myself and 4 of our children; ages 22, 22, 20 AND almost 3. We are planning specifically for next Jan for a few reasons but most budget friendly is my baby will still be under 3 and that means free! Also it is my 20th anniversary with work so transportation will be provided free of charge.
Now that I have talked your ears off, I am totally thinking of a cabin for the 6 of us. What do you think. We wil want to kill the "older kids" by the end of the trip? I really think they will be off on their own only around to sleep. My DH does not do well with crowds, he tends to get cranky. Is it true that back at the cabin is like a retreat in itself?
2 of the older kids are from his first marriage and they tend to be a little high maintenance, will it seem like second class to them? I don't think anywhere in Disney could be classified as that but my hubby divorced for a reason right?
Yes the fort is very relaxing. Your cabin is a wonderful retreat from the parks. Love that the cabins have a nice porch to sit out on.
The only concern I would have with the make up of your group is the sleeping arrangements. You will have a queen bed, a bunk bed, a couch that folds out to a queen, and a pack n play. Will that work with the 3 grown children? I did sleep on the bottom bunk one night and was fine but I'm only 5'1".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter