• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's Cinemagine Park (DHS Name Change)

I am as excited as anyone about SW:GE and TSL ... but remember its not doubling the attractions, they took out attractions and areas that Absorbed serious crowds to "add" these lands / attractions.

OR did you mean doubling the attractions that they took out ?
They took out attractions that didn't really attraction guests. The backlot tour was a shell of its former self and was often sparsely attended, as was Lights, Motor, Action.

I am as excited as anyone about SW:GE and TSL ... but remember its not doubling the attractions, they took out attractions and areas that Absorbed serious crowds to "add" these lands / attractions.

OR did you mean doubling the attractions that they took out ?

Let me clarify .. I meant "ride" attractions .. which DHS always lacked. Ride attractions are repeatable, have queue lines and usually pretty unique experiences.
The only "ride" attraction that was lost over the past few years was Backlot Tour. While the backlot area was pretty large, there wasn't really much to do there except the Tour (and eventually the Lights, Motor Action show). Streets of America was just an area that had nothing to do, Lights Motor Action was a show that only ran 2-3 times a day and Honey I shrunk the Playground was a playground (a fun one for sure and something the Disney parks could have more of in my opinion).

Currently DHS has 4 "ride" attractions. After Toy Story Land and SWGE and Mickey's Runaway Railway, DHS will have 9 "ride" attractions .. double of what it has RIGHT NOW and more (by far) than it ever did. A good thing for sure.
It will no longer be a "half day" park and will have a lot more repeatable attractions than when it was filled with mostly shows and tours about the making of movies.

I'm really starting to wonder whether they are avoiding the name Disney's Hollywood Adventure to try and differentiate it from Islands of Adventure. Just a thought but it could be that they're looking to show a difference in name since the park atmosphere is similar as far as the usage of IPs

Yes but they ate up the crowds. The attractions left are not high capacity like those two were.

If an attraction has capacity for 3000 guests per hour, but only 500-1000 show up on a regular basis, it's not doing it's job to eat crowds. If you replace that with an attraction that moves ~1500-2000 guests per hour, that's a net win.

Yo
Let me clarify .. I meant "ride" attractions .. which DHS always lacked. Ride attractions are repeatable, have queue lines and usually pretty unique experiences.
The only "ride" attraction that was lost over the past few years was Backlot Tour. While the backlot area was pretty large, there wasn't really much to do there except the Tour (and eventually the Lights, Motor Action show). Streets of America was just an area that had nothing to do, Lights Motor Action was a show that only ran 2-3 times a day and Honey I shrunk the Playground was a playground (a fun one for sure and something the Disney parks could have more of in my opinion).

Currently DHS has 4 "ride" attractions. After Toy Story Land and SWGE and Mickey's Runaway Railway, DHS will have 9 "ride" attractions .. double of what it has RIGHT NOW and more (by far) than it ever did. A good thing for sure.
It will no longer be a "half day" park and will have a lot more repeatable attractions than when it was filled with mostly shows and tours about the making of movies.
You're forgetting Great Movie Ride.

They took out attractions that didn't really attraction guests. The backlot tour was a shell of its former self and was often sparsely attended, as was Lights, Motor, Action.

Having not been from October 1996 to August 2017, what made it a "shell of its former self"? Did people just lose interest or did they alter the ride somehow. The Backlot Tour was one of my fondest memories of MGM as a child. We rode it every time we went.

Yo

You're forgetting Great Movie Ride.

:sad: RIP GMR

Backlot Tour was boring as hell and Lights, Motors, Action wasn't much better. Once you'd done them once, it was enough and I probably never ventured into that part of the park once I had done them

If an attraction has capacity for 3000 guests per hour, but only 500-1000 show up on a regular basis, it's not doing it's job to eat crowds. If you replace that with an attraction that moves ~1500-2000 guests per hour, that's a net win.
They were still eating crowds. That's 1000 less people in line for the other attractions. What we are getting is obviously better in terms of quality but won't eat up the crowds that they will bring to DHS.

Before the work started on Hollywood studios I don't think they even had the crowds to eat up. Backlot tour was only like a 15-20 minute wait worst case nd Lights, Motors, Action was never a full show when I saw it

Before the work started on Hollywood studios I don't think they even had the crowds to eat up. Backlot tour was only like a 15-20 minute wait worst case nd Lights, Motors, Action was never a full show when I saw it
My point is it spread people out more. Now everyone is confined to four rides and a couple shows and TSMM isn't operating at full capacity. I agree they weren't exactly great attractions but they did help lower waits elsewhere.

Backlot Tour was boring as hell and Lights, Motors, Action wasn't much better. Once you'd done them once, it was enough and I probably never ventured into that part of the park once I had done them
I took the Back Lot Tour 1 very memorable time in 2008. My wife and I were on our honeymoon and they pulled us out to do the skit at the beginning. It was a scene from Pearl Harbor. We were supposed to run around in a panic while things blew up around us. I wish we could have done a second take because my performance wasn't very good. Of course, it was a lot of fun though.

Even with that sentimental attachment, I have no qualms about them replacing it with Star Wars:Galaxy's Edge - or replacing it with anything for that matter.

People always have difficulty with change, so Disney is in a tough spot no matter what the name becomes. That said, I'm still not sure I have pronounced this word correctly yet. To me, the easiest way around this would be to just drop studios from the name and include the name "Hollywood" in the new name. That said, if they are really into the cinema aspect, I think Cinemagic rolls off much better.

Cinemagine is a pretty bad name. It just looks like random letters. . . Cinemagic is a better word because it contains all of the word "cinema" and all of the word "magic."
Imagineer is a good word because adding "eer" at the end of the work is a common way to indicate profession. Such as Rocketeer or Chocolatier.

Overall, though, I agree with the consensus that simply changing the word "Studios" in the name to "Adventure" would be a lot better, and simpler. Less "try hard."

Unfortunately that name is already trade marked for some movie theaters on the east coast. Don't think this is an option.
With that being the case, it seems like Cinemagine is could be too close to Cinemagic and could cause some brand confusion for some people.

I know I would be accidentally saying Cinemagic all the time.

Last edited:
With that being the case, it seems like Cinemagine is could be too close to Cinemagic and could cause some brand confusion for some people.

I know I would be accidentally Cinemagic all the time.
I agree. Unless Cinemagine is not the full name....

Having not been from October 1996 to August 2017, what made it a "shell of its former self"? Did people just lose interest or did they alter the ride somehow. The Backlot Tour was one of my fondest memories of MGM as a child. We rode it every time we went.

It was altered several times and shortened each time. This wiki does a decent job of explaining the iterations and causes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Backlot_Tour

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter