Disney's Chaperone Policy-how strict is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelaDMcLaughlin

Earning My Ears
Disney has this in the current Chaperone Policy: Chaperones must have a valid government ID and must remain with their party the entire time. Any Guest under 15 found alone inside the Park is subject to ejection.

Do they enforce this often? I am Chaperone chair at the high school, and we are planning a Marching Band Trip next Spring. These are really good kids, and in past trips, the chaperones have let the kids, who are all teens, go off by themselves, and meet up later. There has never been a negative incident, and they all have chaperones' phone numbers on hand. Our band includes 8th & 9th graders. Will they require a chaperone around at all times, or can they go off with the older kids as well?

Thank you!

unfortunately, you are correct, kids wander by themselves.
Groups of 12-20 kids with no adult around.
YOU and the school are legally and monetary responsible for you group.
Put the fear of the Lord in them.
With cell phones now, it us easier to monitor them.

As Judge Judy would say 'Teens only lie when their mouths are moving'.
Don't believe their not pushing the limits.

I sponsored two teens to Kansas City once for a public tv panel discussion on careers from our tiny rural town.

The girl, 17, and I shared a room. The boy, 13, son of a former mayor, widely respected family, was assigned to room with a slightly older boy from another town.

I strongly emphasized to the boys that they must NOT get up to any pranks because a) We had to be up and ready to meet the bus to the studio early and b) The hotel was near the jazz club area and not safe to wander about late at night on a weekend. (The latter probably triggered what these two idiots did, unfortunately.)

The younger kid at least had the decency to admit the next morning that they'd slipped out of their room and gone walking around several blocks from the hotel until realizing there seemed to be lots of unsavory sorts probably selling drugs. They headed back to the hotel, sensing they were being followed, and thankfully got there safely. Good object lesson that scared some major sense into this kid, based on his sheepish manner in admitting what he'd done.

Had anything untoward happened, I'd never have taught anywhere again and possibly worse than that.

The most levelheaded kids (you think) have NO judgment at those ages particularly when some enticing temptation appears. Don't even think that this trip will be like the others were. It could easily be the ugly first time some kids do something as dumb as those boys did.

As long as the 13-14-year-olds don't get the inspiration to hand their phones off to older kids they'll then appear to be with. Phone tracking apps won't alert you to that.

And should you call Daisy or Donald's phone to check on where and what, all the kids with the phones need do is come up with some reason why neither is answering their phone. "Oh, they left theirs with me and Mickey because they were afraid they'd lose it somewhere/went on a ride I wasn't going on/didn't want to drop it in the restroom, etc."

I don’t know if that is something specific to the group tickets. Generally speaking, anyone 14+ can enter WDW parks on their own. Those under 14 must be accompanied by an adult (maybe only 14+) to enter the park but otherwise no requirement to be accompanied within the park. Assuming nobody in the group is under 7.

What the OP posted doesn’t actually state the kids must be supervised at all times…just that the chaperones can’t ditch the kids in MK and hop to HS (for example).

unfortunately, you are correct, kids wander by themselves.
Groups of 12-20 kids with no adult around.
YOU and the school are legally and monetary responsible for you group.
Put the fear of the Lord in them.

As Judge Judy would say 'Teens only lie when their mouths are moving'.
Don't believe their not pushing the limits.
EWWW!

Please don't stereotype anyone.

Teens do not automatically lie!

I have some pretty terrible memories of being stereotyped as a teen. I saw one of my friends go from very sweet/innocent naive 14 year old to...well, her mom accused her of everything under the sun, so two years later guess what?

Mom berated her every day, yelled slurs and profanity at her. It was horrible. Truly toxic. At age 16, she was hurting so badly. She stopped working hard in school, stopped caring about how she treated her body, and then did everything she could to numb the pain.

Teens are just like everyone else. Many are exceptionally wonderful people who work tremendously hard.

2 things.

First, whatever Disney’s current policy concerning chaperones is at the time of your trip, is what you need to follow. We don’t permit skirting Disney policy on this board.

In recent weeks, theme parks have changed chaperone policies. I couldn’t find a change to Disney’s. But some blogs and articles said the policy could soon be changing.

In addition, if one does not like what they read in a post or thread, we offer this advice in the pinned threads:
“It is often good advice if you see a thread or post which your are unhappy with to walk away and give yourself a time out. Alternatively use the report post button which will alert all the moderators and the webmasters to any post, where appropriate action if necessary will be taken. If you add a comment yourself you may also face infractions as per the guidelines.”

Is this just for organizations like school trips or does it apply to families? We're going this summer and my kids are 14 & 17, it would not have occurred to me that I would be required to stay with them the whole time.

Is this just for organizations like school trips or does it apply to families? We're going this summer and my kids are 14 & 17, it would not have occurred to me that I would be required to stay with them the whole time.
According to Disney’s website, must be 14 or older to enter a park by yourself.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/minimum-age/

“Q:
What is the minimum age requirement for unaccompanied children to enter Walt Disney World theme parks, water parks and other locations?
A:
Children under age 14 must be accompanied by a Guest age 14 or older to enter the following Walt Disney World parks and locations:
If you’re planning on some adults-only time at Walt Disney World Resort, we offer childcare service and Children's Activity Centers to provide you with the flexibility to enjoy your vacation as you wish.
Please Check Our Property Rules
We ask that you review our Walt Disney World Resort property rules before your visit to avoid any delays or disruptions. We regularly update our property rules to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable experience at Walt Disney World Resort.”

Disney has this in the current Chaperone Policy: Chaperones must have a valid government ID and must remain with their party the entire time. Any Guest under 15 found alone inside the Park is subject to ejection.

Do they enforce this often? I am Chaperone chair at the high school, and we are planning a Marching Band Trip next Spring. These are really good kids, and in past trips, the chaperones have let the kids, who are all teens, go off by themselves, and meet up later. There has never been a negative incident, and they all have chaperones' phone numbers on hand. Our band includes 8th & 9th graders. Will they require a chaperone around at all times, or can they go off with the older kids as well?

Thank you!
Are you saying there are parents of your high school who are entrusting you as a chaperone with their 13- and 14-year old children and you are planning to let those children be with the 15+ year old children by themselves in the parks?

Thank you!
Have had MANY groups from our school go to Disney, my kids were students and later coaches. Kids were allowed to move around parks on their own. BUT you have added a piece here that might be the cause of your Chaperone Policy.

8th Graders = most kids not old enough to enter the park on their own. Rule in place is "Children under age 14 must be accompanied by a Guest age 14 or older to enter the following Walt Disney World parks." One might say that is only to enter the park but I don't think that is Disney's thought.

If it is going to be an issue, I'd contact the Disney coordinator to clarify. Perhaps they only mean you must remain in the park at same time.

Note: DS is coach who takes kids to Disney and Universal each year. The kids go off on their own. Each coach has about 10 kids assigned to them. Each kid must text the coach every couple hours and tell them where they are. Works out well.

If I remember correctly it was 14 year olds and up that are able to be on their own, and are also able to chaperone younger children so I think you're OK. Even if the policy changes from 14 to 15 then the 17 year old can chaperone the 15 year old and it should still be ok.

I can only speak from our experience last year- my oldest went with her school music group at 14 years old. They were not required to stay with the chaperones but were required to be with their roommates/group. The exception to this was when the band went to their thing and the chorus went to their thing- they regrouped based on who was gone but they always had to be in a group of 3. They had meet up times with chaperones and they were very strict with everything- they distributed meal tickets at chaperone meet up times so they needed to go to eat. :) When we went as a family last summer, we let my 15 and 13 year olds go back into the park alone after lunch with my 15 year old "supervising" the 13 year old. They were able to scan in with no issues and then we left. I was under the impressing that they had to be over 14 based on all the info we had read/received up to that point.

Please chaperone the kids. I have a teenager. She's amazing. When she's with her friends, though, they're annoying and so loud! 😂Groups of teens are nothing like the individual teens. It's just the age. They need supervision when their actions have so much potential to disrupt others' vacations.

Last edited:
I’m going to lock this thread. The Disney website continues to say 14 is the age. If your group is given different rules to follow I suggest you ask them about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter