Disney's BOARDWALK INN Information & Questions

Big River Grille & Brewing Works Closing This Weekend at Disney’s BoardWalk in Walt Disney World

In a notice shared with employees, Big River Grille announced that it will be closed effective this Sunday, January 21, 2024. No reasoning for the closure was shared.

In addition, the Walt Disney World website page for Big River no longer lists operating hours starting Monday, January 22. Per the internal announcement, the “clean-up process” following the restaurant’s closure will begin on that day.

Employees have the option to stay on through the completion of clean-up to receive $20 plus a $500 stay-on bonus, or can begin their termination process immediately.

Disney’s BoardWalk has been undergoing changes and refurbishments for the past few years. In early 2023, the resort’s lobby was remodeled, and we stayed in a remodeled roomthis past summer. In November 2023, the DVC showroom closed for ongoing work on the Villas. In that update, work on the boardwalk in front of Big River Grille was completed.

As for the actual BoardWalk, the Cake Bake Shop is still under construction, with its opening delayed to this year. The upcoming Blue Ribbon Corn Dogs location is also still under construction, set to open sometime this year.

1705613957350.png
Picture from FB.

Last edited:

Big River Grille & Brewing Works Closing This Weekend at Disney’s BoardWalk in Walt Disney World

In a notice shared with employees, Big River Grille announced that it will be closed effective this Sunday, January 21, 2024. No reasoning for the closure was shared.

In addition, the Walt Disney World website page for Big River no longer lists operating hours starting Monday, January 22. Per the internal announcement, the “clean-up process” following the restaurant’s closure will begin on that day.

Employees have the option to stay on through the completion of clean-up to receive $20 plus a $500 stay-on bonus, or can begin their termination process immediately.

Disney’s BoardWalk has been undergoing changes and refurbishments for the past few years. In early 2023, the resort’s lobby was remodeled, and we stayed in a remodeled roomthis past summer. In November 2023, the DVC showroom closed for ongoing work on the Villas. In that update, work on the boardwalk in front of Big River Grille was completed.

As for the actual BoardWalk, the Cake Bake Shop is still under construction, with its opening delayed to this year. The upcoming Blue Ribbon Corn Dogs location is also still under construction, set to open sometime this year.

View attachment 826875
Picture from FB.
I always liked their beer selection and wasn't a bad place to unwind to watch a game after a park day. Never ate there but having one less dining option on the Boardwalk can never be good as the remaining places will need to absorb the demand.

I always liked their beer selection and wasn't a bad place to unwind to watch a game after a park day. Never ate there but having one less dining option on the Boardwalk can never be good as the remaining places will need to absorb the demand.
We ordered to-go twice during our Christmas trip and my kids loved their cheeseburgers and DH enjoyed his chicken sandwich. We only had dinner there once prior, years ago. While we liked the beer, we didn’t like the food then. Finally gave it another chance and said we’d go back… and now they’re closing lol

After ESPN Club closed, BRG was our go-to place for a walk-up dinner, especially on arrival day. We’ll miss it.

View attachment 826875
Picture from FB.
Hate to see it go, but here's hoping they put in an actual resort quick service in it's place.

I'm not going to miss Big River Grille - it was fine, just fine. I'd rather they use that space on the BW for a more uniquely themed restaurant, I can get standard bar and grill at home.

Is the whole Boardwalk just a big horrible mess of construction right now? It's been my dream to stay there for years and FINALLY got the opportunity to go this spring. I'm starting to get a little nervous the experience won't be so magical :/

I'm a bit nervous for our April trip as well. I really hope the Corn Dog stand is open by then. I loved Boardwalk to go and Ample Hills and they're both gone. Boardwalk deli hasn't impressed me (I'm not big on sandwiches) and neither has the new ice cream place. I'm allergic to fish so Flying Fish is a no go. The pizza window is good, but whole pizzas are off the menu. On a positive note Trattoria al Forno is one of my favorite restaurants on property and there is now a coffee shop I've not tried. I do think that the new items coming will be great, but WHEN will these places finally open? How long can it possibly take Disney to refurbish Boardwalk to go? It's a fancy hot dog stand. I don't get it. Another positive...I haven't seen anyone moved from the villas lately so maybe I will at least get the rooms I booked.

UPDATE: Disney Shares Official Statement on Big River Grille & Brewing Works Closure, Announces Food Trucks Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

Walt Disney World has confirmed the closure, sharing that the restaurant’s last day of operation will be Sunday, January 21. Read their full statement:

Big River Grille & Brewing Works will have its last day of operation on Jan. 21, closing on Jan. 22. To provide additional lunch options, guests can explore a rotating selection of food trucks beginning Jan. 22.
Walt Disney World Resort

In addition to the rotating food trucks coming on Monday, January 22, Disney also shared other dining locations at the BoardWalk that guests can enjoy throughout their day:

Available All Day​

Breakfast and Dinner​

Lunch and Dinner​

• Pizza Window – Garden salad, pizza by the slice, and mini cannolis

Dinner​

• Flying Fish – Contemporary American restaurant with premium seafood and oak-grilled steaks

Snacks​

Bars and Lounges​

Not yet open but expected later this year are The Cake Bake Shop and Blue Ribbon Corn Dogs.

The closure of Big River was first announced in an internal announcement to employees, with no reason cited. The Walt Disney World website page for the restaurant was also updated to no longer have operating hours beginning Monday, January 22.

UPDATE: Disney Shares Official Statement on Big River Grille & Brewing Works Closure, Announces Food Trucks Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

Walt Disney World has confirmed the closure, sharing that the restaurant’s last day of operation will be Sunday, January 21. Read their full statement:

In addition to the rotating food trucks coming on Monday, January 22, Disney also shared other dining locations at the BoardWalk that guests can enjoy throughout their day:

Available All Day​

Breakfast and Dinner​

Lunch and Dinner​

Dinner​

• Flying Fish – Contemporary American restaurant with premium seafood and oak-grilled steaks

Snacks​

Bars and Lounges​

Not yet open but expected later this year are The Cake Bake Shop and Blue Ribbon Corn Dogs.

The closure of Big River was first announced in an internal announcement to employees, with no reason cited. The Walt Disney World website page for the restaurant was also updated to no longer have operating hours beginning Monday, January 22.
SMH

Available All Day​

Breakfast and Dinner​

Lunch and Dinner​

Dinner​

Snacks​

Bars and Lounges​

Am I the only one excited about this? BRG was awful the last time we ate there. Both the service and food were terrible and I didn’t think it went with the boardwalk theme. Hoping something great fills this spot.

Am I the only one excited about this? BRG was awful the last time we ate there. Both the service and food were terrible and I didn’t think it went with the boardwalk theme. Hoping something great fills this spot.
I had never been to BRG, so I won't miss it and I am also excited to see what is coming in it's place. However, we are bringing family down with us in April and I am not thrilled about current options or lack there of. Of course there are going to be interruptions when making improvements so we will have to deal. There are no opening dates for the announced restaurants and I'm sure whatever is going in BRG's spot will also take forever. Maybe the announced food trucks will have some yummy food in the interim. I'm excited for the new, but a little concerned as well with Disney's recent decision making over at the Boardwalk. It's our home resort so I'm hoping everything will be amazing when completed. Please announce a new quick service in BRG's place! 🙏

We've enjoyed eating there from time to time. I don't care either way, but I hope they replace it with something great :)

Wit’s BRG closing and food trucks coming in, I hope they add more tables and chairs (and dare I say umbrellas?) on the Boardwalk. This also exacerbates the issue of where to eat when it’s raining - always a problem at the Boardwalk.

there is now a coffee shop I've not tried.
I stopped into the coffee shop inside the BoardWalk Inn a few times at the end of October. A few things to note:

a) It has limited hours (although I didn't write down what they were)

b) The cast member told me that the food comes up from the deli.
So don't expect food options that are better than the deli.

c) They did have food items other than just the pastries which I currently see on the menu. However, the selection depended on what was left by the time I got there. For example, I don't eat pork, but when I stopped in all of the items with protein had pork.

How long can it possibly take Disney to refurbish Boardwalk to go? It's a fancy hot dog stand. I don't get it.

As far as I know, Blue Ribbon Corn Dog will be opening, but BoardWalk To Go will not be reopening. BoardWalk To Go had a lot of items other than hot dogs, so this is disappointing.

As far as I know, Blue Ribbon Corn Dog will be opening, but BoardWalk To Go will not be reopening. BoardWalk To Go had a lot of items other than hot dogs, so this is disappointing.
Yes, I will miss the buffalo chicken fries sooooo much. The corn dog stand looks good. I just don't know why it's taking them so long to transform the super small outdoor stand into Blue Ribbon Corn Dog. We don't even have an opening date. I find that strange for such a small project.

Work Continues on Blue Ribbon Corn Dogs at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort

The addition of Blue Ribbon Corn Dogs to Disney’s BoardWalk Resort was originally announced last July, and progress on the new stand has been slow.

BoardWalk to Go Blue Ribbon Corn Dogs

Recently, however, the old BoardWalk to Go sign was removed from the structure, and planters were extended to cover the stand.

The other big change has been the removal of the old BoardWalk to Go blue color scheme.

The stand is currently white, although it may not necessarily stay that way.

Here is a look at the back side of the building. As you can see, work is currently underway.

At this time we do not have an opening for Blue Ribbion Corn Dogs.

Yes, I will miss the buffalo chicken fries sooooo much. The corn dog stand looks good. I just don't know why it's taking them so long to transform the super small outdoor stand into Blue Ribbon Corn Dog. We don't even have an opening date. I find that strange for such a small project.
I had a water view cl room right above it the end of November. I watched a guy inside working everyday, hammering etc. It is such a small space! Agree , strange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter