• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Animal update:
(I am not sure if any of this has been posted lately but here is an update from our trip.)

All the Ostriches are now at Kidani only

Giraffe are now on Uzima savanna (I was told this was very recent)

The Pelicans are gone from Jambo. We asked several guides but all of them seemed to have just started working there 4 weeks ago. One called someone and said they are only at the park now. No further explanation as to why they were removed. The area is empty. I really liked watching the Pelicans. If anyone knows why they removed them, please post.

If you watch the Flamingos at night you might want to cover up well. My daughter had bike pants on and she watched them for about an hour when we were at the pool. Her ankles were all bit up. She said another couple that was standing there mentioned they felt like they were getting bit. At the time she only felt one bite but had several marks the next morning.

On a side note, we were able to watch fireworks every night from our room. Most nights 9:30 but some nights 10:00. Not sure which park but is was an unexpected pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the report so excited to be there Saturday!

Those bugs biting are no see ums you need to make sure your bug repellant includes preventing bites from them. You can also use Avons skin so soft I believe it's called.

Thanks for the report so excited to be there Saturday!

Those bugs biting are no see ums you need to make sure your bug repellant includes preventing bites from them. You can also use Avons skin so soft I believe it's called.

Thanks for the bug tip. We will bring that next time for sure. Have a wonderful trip - I am really jealous right now.

we are on Uzima savana. Various birds, cranes, antilope, Yes 3 giraffe, those really long horn cattle, a couple of donkey type beasts. AND they are out almost all the time.
Every time we pass the Arusha savana there's nothing there! Today tho we did see a couple of zebra and wildebeasts when they let them out after lunch.
For my money the Uzima savana is the way to go,.
Down one floor to the 3rd would be nice :thumbsup2

....I didn't get ANY of that, but I did get a swell drawing of Mickey in the mail a week later....:confused3

It was very hard to locate. The offer was smack dab in the middle of the book. I really don't know what to call it...brochure? Its always telling you where to eat, activities, etc. At first, I expected it to be an obvious flyer but it wasn't. I even added another day on the front end...I couldn't resist.

There were definitely giraffe on Uzima last time my room was on it - but that was about 4 years ago, so maybe they left for awhile and are now back? The other nice thing about Uzima is that you are on Zebra trail and thus convenient to the pool and Mara.

There were definitely giraffe on Uzima last time my room was on it - but that was about 4 years ago, so maybe they left for awhile and are now back? The other nice thing about Uzima is that you are on Zebra trail and thus convenient to the pool and Mara.

....yup.....very true...:thumbsup2

Hello All! We will be staying at AKV-Jambo 1/27-2/3 for the first time (have never even visited the resort before). My husband wants to know if there will be anywhere at the resort where he can watch the Super Bowl (other than the villa), Victoria Falls perhaps???

Hello All! We will be staying at AKV-Jambo 1/27-2/3 for the first time (have never even visited the resort before). My husband wants to know if there will be anywhere at the resort where he can watch the Super Bowl (other than the villa), Victoria Falls perhaps???

OhMyGosh, that is so funny....we are booked 1/31-2/6 at AKL, never been there before...didn't realize when Super Bowl was when we booked, AND I booked a special dinner for our 30th anniversary which is that date...AND then my DH asks 'what about the super bowl'? They will be running it in the rooms and Victoria Falls (at least that is what they told me), but I think we will head over to ESPN Zone after an early dinner :happytv:

OhMyGosh, that is so funny....we are booked 1/31-2/6 at AKL, never been there before...didn't realize when Super Bowl was when we booked, AND I booked a special dinner for our 30th anniversary which is that date...AND then my DH asks 'what about the super bowl'? They will be running it in the rooms and Victoria Falls (at least that is what they told me), but I think we will head over to ESPN Zone after an early dinner :happytv:

That date is my son's 6th birthday as well. We have 5:25pm reservations at Chef Mickey's to celebrate. I was hoping afterwards we could just head back to the resort and DH could hang in the bar there but if he has to he can watch in our room. I heard ESPN Zone gets pretty packed and you have to get there early to get a seat.

....men......really.

[ :teeth: ]

Glad to have found this thread! We are going to AKL for the first time January 3-8. We have never even been to the resort for a visit so we are super excited about staying there. We have an Arusha view room with bunk beds. My two kids, DS7 and DD 9 are going to love the savannah view and the bunks. This will be a Christmas surprise so they don't know yet. Any tips you can provide on room requests or the resort in general would be much appreciated.

The only thing that worried me about choosing AKL was what I had heard about it being the furthest away from the parks and difficulty with the buses. We stayed at POR in 2011 and felt like we wasted so much time on the buses - and vowed to choose a monorail resort on our next trip. But my heart was telling me to pick AKL so here we are!

We are driving so we will have a vehicle - should we drive to some parks to have that flexibility? Or are you just trading waiting for buses to waiting for parking trams? Any advice here would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance for any guidance or tips! :love:

The only thing that worried me about choosing AKL was what I had heard about it being the furthest away from the parks and difficulty with the buses. We stayed at POR in 2011 and felt like we wasted so much time on the buses - and vowed to choose a monorail resort on our next trip. But my heart was telling me to pick AKL so here we are!

We are driving so we will have a vehicle - should we drive to some parks to have that flexibility? Or are you just trading waiting for buses to waiting for parking trams? Any advice here would be appreciated too!

...personally, I think that everything is relative....you'll be closer to AK and DHS, whereas folks staying at the Poly, Cont, or GF will be closer to MK...:confused3 One positive about the buses is that they don't share with any other resort (other than Kidani, of course). Just my
twocents.gif
but I like to leave the driving to someone else - so much more relaxing jumping on a nice air-conditioned bus that maximizes my Disney stay, but that's just me...

:

We never waited more than 10 min for a bus. The only trip that seemed long was to Downtown D. That ran about 25 min I think.
You are only 5 min from AK
and maybe 10 - 15 from MK & E

(on the other hand we walked roughly 15,000 to 20,000 steps per day. From the lobby to our room was 350 steps.)
Also we had the Uzima savana which was GREAT!

Glad to have found this thread! We are going to AKL for the first time January 3-8. We have never even been to the resort for a visit so we are super excited about staying there. We have an Arusha view room with bunk beds. My two kids, DS7 and DD 9 are going to love the savannah view and the bunks. This will be a Christmas surprise so they don't know yet. Any tips you can provide on room requests or the resort in general would be much appreciated.

I would drive to DT Disney. But otherwise, I would take the bus. Driving the MK would be a waste because you need to park, walk 10-15 minutes to either the bus or boat and wait for that... For the rest of the parks, parking distances can be quite far, and waiting on the tram is lengthy too... You have to wait for the tram to appear, you have to wait for the original people to get off, then you have to wait for extra people to arrive to get on. OR you walk from your car to the entrance 10-15 minutes. The buses are a HUGE advantage at staying at a resort. And so you are in the bus 20 minutes to get to MK, you are still in your car quite a long time and you have to deal with the stuff mentioned above...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter