Disneyland to introduce MaxPass (New Fastpass & New Fastpass Attractions) - Now with Poll

Is MaxPass a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 112 62.9%
  • Other (tell us what your other opinion is)

Votes: 23 12.9%

• Total voters
This is a great value for my family of 4(myself, wife, DD4 and DD1) as I only need to buy 1 $10 pass to reap the rewards. Here is how:
- I get access to all the photos for $10/day
- Most of the Fastpass rides have height requirements, so the only 3 rides my entire family could go on at the same time together are Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion and TSM. We will just make these a priority to complete in the morning at Rope Drop without a Fastpass as we are going to DL for 2 days and DCA for 1.
- we can use the Maxpass to get 1 FastPass and then just Rider Swap once we get there. This will cut down on us having to separate or walk numerous times across the park.
- we can still collect paper Fastpasses when we are in the area as we have in the past.
That's a pretty smart way to pair this with Rider Swap. That means that families with small children who think this through ahead of time like you have will be able to have the convenience of MaxPass for a more reasonable price, and I don't begrudge them the advantage because visiting the parks with very small children is sure to have enough logistical challenges even without worrying about a FP runner.

I picked other - while I love the idea of the app, I'm having a hard time with the cost. Because they released so few details, it is way too early to tell how this is going to impact everything for my family. Will it really be necessary to have the Maxpass in order to have reasonable access to rides? We were pretty good at managing fast passes before and wouldn't do the parks without them unless it was slow enough that all rides have short lines at least some point in the day (probably never going to happen!). Is there any discount for multi-day passes or AP's? Our family of 6 on a 5 day pass trip would cost an extra $300 without a discount. The way I look at it is it effectively would increase our tickets by $50 each. That is a pretty steep increase. I was really trying to convince myself that the 13 month AP offer was too good to pass up. Now with the uncertainty of Maxpass I've decided it is too big of a risk. I don't want to buy AP's but then not be able to use them as often as we would like. Maybe we'll just plan one good trip later in the year. If we did the AP's we *might* end up paying an extra $1,200 beyond what I was planning for total costs. Then again, we *might* not. It is all in the details, and we simply don't have them.

Another issue I hope Disney thinks about is how purchasing the RideMax with an Annual Pass works on a daily basis versus as an add-on for the year if it's not able to be "disabled" for a day. This is what occurred to me:

I'm going to DLR in March as a chaperone with my older daughter's school music program. I'm planning on upgrading the 3-day PH I get as part of the package deal into an annual pass. I'll then have an AP to use on my mother-daughter trip in June with my YDD and when our whole family (DH is feeling left out of Disney trips) goes potentially next October. If the AP MaxPass is a good deal, I'd probably want to get it, but that's where it could get tricky. In June, I would definitely spend the $40 to get YDD a MP do we have a coordinated FP system. But in October, with all four of us traveling and likely at the park for three days, we'd need to spend another $120 to get everyone on the same system. Not a deal breaker, but it does start to add up. Would we do it? Most likely.

Why would I need us on the same system? If I have a MP and the other three in my family were using traditional FP, I'm not sure how coordinated the two systems will be to get the same FP window. And since I will have opted-in to the MP system, my annual pass would no longer work for traditional Fastpasses (per what Disney has reported a pass will not work for double-dipping from both systems). So unless there's a way to deactivate a Max Pass for the day, anybody with an AP is going to need to consider whether that's something they want to add on if they go to the parks even occasionally with non-AP friends or family members.

I'm wondering if the paper and digital versions of fast pass will be used interchangeably since they are both linked to the same ticket. You wouldn't be able to double dip and it would alleviate problems when travelling in groups where some members don't have a MaxPass. For example, if you have a MaxPass linked to your AP and pull a paper fast pass, then your MaxPass would record that transaction as well and prevent you from pulling either type until your time is up. There would have to be a way to prevent people from using both the one on paper and the one that is on their phone app for line entry. Perhaps if someone pulls a paper one, it shows on the phone app that it exists but can't be redeemed with the phone app. I think it the two systems are used interchangeably then it would alleviate a lot of concerns that I've read. I think I would like it better too because it offers flexibility.

I'm wondering if the paper and digital versions of fast pass will be used interchangeably since they are both linked to the same ticket. You wouldn't be able to double dip and it would alleviate problems when travelling in groups where some members don't have a MaxPass. For example, if you have a MaxPass linked to your AP and pull a paper fast pass, then your MaxPass would record that transaction as well and prevent you from pulling either type until your time is up. There would have to be a way to prevent people from using both the one on paper and the one that is on their phone app for line entry. Perhaps if someone pulls a paper one, it shows on the phone app that it exists but can't be redeemed with the phone app. I think it the two systems are used interchangeably then it would alleviate a lot of concerns that I've read. I think I would like it better too because it offers flexibility.
I agree that this would be a better system for the end user, but it doesn't sound like that's what's going to happen. Maybe there's a technical reason why this wouldn't work. I've seen some people ask in the comments if they could switch to paper passes later in the day (for example, if their phone dies), and I recall Disney responding that you can only use one system or the other for the entirety of the day.

This is a great value for my family of 4(myself, wife, DD4 and DD1) as I only need to buy 1 $10 pass to reap the rewards. Here is how:
- I get access to all the photos for $10/day
- Most of the Fastpass rides have height requirements, so the only 4 rides my entire family could go on at the same time together are Peter Pan, Buzz, Haunted Mansion and TSM. We will just make these a priority to complete in the morning at Rope Drop without a Fastpass as we are going to DL for 2 days and DCA for 1.
- we can use the Maxpass to get 1 FastPass and then just Rider Swap once we get there. This will cut down on us having to separate or walk numerous times across the park.
- we can still collect paper Fastpasses when we are in the area as we have in the past.

I didn't realize you could do the ride swap using a fast pass. So even if we do paper fast passes on our trip...my husband could pull a FP...go through the FP line...then get me a ride swap pass?

I didn't realize you could do the ride swap using a fast pass. So even if we do paper fast passes on our trip...my husband could pull a FP...go through the FP line...then get me a ride swap pass?

Yes. Just make sure you ask for the ride swap pass as he's getting into the FP line as most rides want to see the baby (non-rider) and expect you to ask for the swap pass at the beginning not the end of the queue. We used this to our advantage when we just had one baby. It takes twice as long to ride when you have to take turns, but it also means you can get a FP for Space and Star Tours at the same time since you only need one FP for the ride. ANd you have all day to use the rider swap, unlike the FP, so plan accordingly.

Yes. Just make sure you ask for the ride swap pass as he's getting into the FP line as most rides want to see the baby (non-rider) and expect you to ask for the swap pass at the beginning not the end of the queue. We used this to our advantage when we just had one baby. It takes twice as long to ride when you have to take turns, but it also means you can get a FP for Space and Star Tours at the same time since you only need one FP for the ride. ANd you have all day to use the rider swap, unlike the FP, so plan accordingly.
Is the rider swap card good for 2 or 3 people?

That doesn't work... does it? You each have a FastPass, so don't need/can't get a child swap. If you made it work, then someone was doing something wrong.

Disney might consider this... Pay $10 per day/per person, but no more than $20 per ticket in a 13-day span. This would then give a price discount effective on 3-day passes and up, and hold the same time limitation that comes with multi-day ticket packages. Just something to consider.

Does Photo Pass offer discounts for full download per day? I think not. Since this NaxPass is tied to Photo Pass day download, it probably would not be any discount.
Photo Pass offers a week long download (at discount c/f daily) .... if you purchase Maxpass for a week or two may be D will apply that to the Maxpass???

That doesn't work... does it? You each have a FastPass, so don't need/can't get a child swap. If you made it work, then someone was doing something wrong.

In our experience we have been able to use 2FPs (I.e. for DH and older DD) and get a rider swap that lets me ride later with ODD (while DH waits with our YDD who is too short). We've always brought our little one up to get the rider swap and she is obviously too small to ride. It is still time consuming to swap, as in many cases even with FP/rider swap there is still a bit of a line (and whoever isn't riding has to keep the little one happy in the meantime). I think it's a nice feature and I'm glad they do it so neither of us has to ride alone and we both get to enjoy the rides with ODD, but it's certainly not saving any time over all of us just being able to ride together (and we usually pull 3FPs anyways, forgetting about rider swap). All this is related to legacy fast pass, so they any figure out something else with the new MaxPass...

How it works is Mom has a FP for Star Tours and Dad has a FP for Space Mountain (instead of both having a FP for Space). They go to the first FP return time, let's say Star Tours, and go to the FP entrance with the baby and say we want to rideswap. They give one adult the rideswap pass, good anytime that day, and the riding parent rides Star Tours. Then they take the FP to Space Mountain FP queue and say they want to rideswap and they give one parent the rideswap pass and the riding parent goes on Space. Now the have a rideswap pass for both rides. These can be used any time that day. The downside is it really eats into your day to have to take turn riding the rides, and you miss out on some family time. The plus side is Disney has really made this easy on families.

I can't remember how many the rideswap is good for, it's either two or three. It doesn't matter if you are just two adults and a baby, but I guess it will matter to us now that we have two tall enough to ride and a baby.

It absolutely does work and we've done it on multiple trips at multiple rides. They have even suggested and allowed me to combine my fastpass with the rider swap when it just my little one who could ride so DH would take the 3 older ones, all using FPs and ask for the rider swap. Then I would go on with the 3 older ones using my FP and the rider swap. The rider swap is good for up to 3 people.

I'm confused - does this rider swap 'strategy' work as long as you have one kid who isn't tall enough to go on the ride? So technically if you have two adults, two kids that are tall enough, and one baby - you would figure one maxpass would be enough for everyone to enjoy the benefits of fastpass?
so basically if you have a baby you can get away with only purchasing one maxpass for a whole group of people lol

I'm confused - does this rider swap 'strategy' work as long as you have one kid who isn't tall enough to go on the ride? So technically if you have two adults, two kids that are tall enough, and one baby - you would figure one maxpass would be enough for everyone to enjoy the benefits of fastpass?
so basically if you have a baby you can get away with only purchasing one maxpass for a whole group of people lol

Yes. The first person would ride alone and the other 3 could use the Rider Swap after the first person is done.

Yes. The first person would ride alone and the other 3 could use the Rider Swap after the first person is done.

And the other paying guests (babies are free) would still have paper tickets they could use if wanted to get FP with. Before anyone starts claiming unfair with riderswap and FP usage together (excluding MaxPass), keep in mind that riding everything in this manner takes twice as long and is not as great as if everyone in your party was tall enough to ride together. I look forward to those days when we're done with a stroller and everyone meets the height requirements so we don't have to split up to ride. Of course that will mean oldest be getting older and that will be sad too...Ah well we have years before that, and one of the best things about Disneyland is there are tons of rides babies can go on.

Another issue I hope Disney thinks about is how purchasing the RideMax with an Annual Pass works on a daily basis versus as an add-on for the year if it's not able to be "disabled" for a day. This is what occurred to me:

I'm going to DLR in March as a chaperone with my older daughter's school music program. I'm planning on upgrading the 3-day PH I get as part of the package deal into an annual pass. I'll then have an AP to use on my mother-daughter trip in June with my YDD and when our whole family (DH is feeling left out of Disney trips) goes potentially next October. If the AP MaxPass is a good deal, I'd probably want to get it, but that's where it could get tricky. In June, I would definitely spend the $40 to get YDD a MP do we have a coordinated FP system. But in October, with all four of us traveling and likely at the park for three days, we'd need to spend another $120 to get everyone on the same system. Not a deal breaker, but it does start to add up. Would we do it? Most likely.

Why would I need us on the same system? If I have a MP and the other three in my family were using traditional FP, I'm not sure how coordinated the two systems will be to get the same FP window. And since I will have opted-in to the MP system, my annual pass would no longer work for traditional Fastpasses (per what Disney has reported a pass will not work for double-dipping from both systems). So unless there's a way to deactivate a Max Pass for the day, anybody with an AP is going to need to consider whether that's something they want to add on if they go to the parks even occasionally with non-AP friends or family members.

Disney really does not care if a new system makes it inconvenient for groups traveling together or meeting others at the park. My friend's sister met them in WDW at the MK but couldn't buy her ticket until she arrived that day. They were just out of luck with the fastpasses they already had scheduled. It was too hard to match up and ditching what they had would have required them to get new fastpasses for 6 people, which can be tricky for headliners same day under that system.

Maybe this same day system will be a little more flexible? I sure hope it's more forgiving than FP+.

I don't know what Disney intends, but I think the impact will mostly be to raise the trip cost for the physically handicapped.

$10 per person per day, to save on moving around, is mostly going to be worth it for people who have trouble moving around (which is why I'm thinking of getting it).

Again, I don't know what they intend, but this isn't okay.

I don't know what Disney intends, but I think the impact will mostly be to raise the trip cost for the physically handicapped.

$10 per person per day, to save on moving around, is mostly going to be worth it for people who have trouble moving around (which is why I'm thinking of getting it).

Again, I don't know what they intend, but this isn't okay.

While I completely agree that it's not right to charge more for people who are handicapped in any way, I don't believe that's what they're doing in this particular case.

Disney does have an option for those handicapped riders. You may walk up to the CM in front of the ride and ask for a disability pass. You will be given a time to return and will at that return time be ushered onto the ride very quickly. This eliminates the need for you to have to worry about running around to grab paper fast passes, if you don't want to purchase MaxPass.

Here's a link I found that may help:
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me.../dlr-disability-access-service_2014-12-09.pdf

I hope that helps! I would hate for you to not be able to take advantage of a program that would be beneficial to you and feel you have to pay instead :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter