• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow will be 1 day left! Eeek! So much packing, shopping, cleaning to do and fitting in the nail salon for DD and my Disney nails. Its our little tradition. It feels so unreel that its already here. Just wanted to Thank you Sherry for this amazing Thread. Can.not.wait. to be in the parks with my family for the holidays! party:

WestMom2Two --

You're very welcome!:)

I can't believe that your trip is finally here (almost)! I remember when you were first looking into it and making the plans, etc. This year and last year have flown by so quickly.

It sounds as though you'll have a lot of holiday fun in store, as (so far) I'm not hearing of anything major that has been removed from the seasonal merriment or has suddenly 'disappeared,' and it seems that all of the additions are positive changes. All of the merchandise looks really cute (I know you'll enjoy that!) too!

With any luck -- fingers crossed -- maybe the gingerbread house in the Grand Californian Hotel lobby will go up in the next few days.

Have a great time and be sure to report back to us (with a trip recap/review) when you get home, if you have time.:dance3:

WestMom2Two --

You're very welcome!:)

I can't believe that your trip is finally here (almost)! I remember when you were first looking into it and making the plans, etc. This year and last year have flown by so quickly.

It sounds as though you'll have a lot of holiday fun in store, as (so far) I'm not hearing of anything major that has been removed from the seasonal merriment or has suddenly 'disappeared,' and it seems that all of the additions are positive changes. All of the merchandise looks really cute (I know you'll enjoy that!) too!

With any luck -- fingers crossed -- maybe the gingerbread house in the Grand Californian Hotel lobby will go up in the next few days.

Have a great time and be sure to report back to us (with a trip recap/review) when you get home, if you have time.:dance3:
We will defiantly look for that Gingerbread house and I'm pretty sure the holiday souvenirs will be the death of me lol

I just happened to notice a photo that was posted on Disneyland Today's Facebook page yesterday -- 11/12 -- of the trolley in Hollywood Land, and the Santa/reindeer display (the one that was not showing in Misskitty3's photo from this past weekend) is there in the background, at the end of the street! See it -- HERE.

I don't know if Disneyland Today actually posts photos that are current, or if they are using older photos -- but if the photo is current, then Santa and the reindeer are back in Hollywood Land for the photo spot. The display must have gone up in the last few days!

However, I don't see those circular decorations/signs on the trees and posts (the yellow stars and Santa's face) that were there last year, so I'm not sure if those are there.

pixiedust:pixiedust:

I just happened to notice a photo that was posted on Disneyland Today's Facebook page yesterday -- 11/12 -- of the trolley in Hollywood Land, and the Santa/reindeer display (the one that was not showing in Misskitty3's photo from this past weekend) is there in the background, at the end of the street! See it -- HERE.

I don't know if Disneyland Today actually posts photos that are current, or if they are using older photos -- but if the photo is current, then Santa and the reindeer are back in Hollywood Land for the photo spot. The display must have gone up in the last few days!

However, I don't see those circular decorations/signs on the trees and posts (the yellow stars and Santa's face) that were there last year, so I'm not sure if those are there.

pixiedust:pixiedust:

A friend of mine was there yesterday and posted a picture on FB of the Santa Sleigh and Reindeer.

Also wanted to add that I am actually looking forward to seeing the Jingle Cruise this year. I was disappointment with it last year I kept saying there was more holiday decorations in the que area then on the ride. Although that may have to do with the hour wait we had.

Hello everyone,
I'm slightly overwhelmed with the number of pages in this thread ... Yikes! :)
The countdown is on for our upcoming trip, Dec 20-24.
I was just checking out the Dineyland website, and noticed that Disneyland Park has their hours posted for the dates we are going, but California Adventure does not. Is this normal, for CA to release them later? We are staying at the Pardise Pier, so plan to use the Early Entrance each morning, but I was starting to wonder, since CA didn't have their hours up.
During the busy holiday time, do both parks usually open early for hotel guests, or just one park per day?
Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Alison

It is amazing how quickly this thread grows, gone less than 24 hours and it jumps FOUR pages, wow!

Anyway, this is probably my last check-in, we leave tomorrow! We are going to be in the parks ALL DAY Sunday-Thursday. Can't believe it is already here :cheer2:

It is amazing how quickly this thread grows, gone less than 24 hours and it jumps FOUR pages, wow!

Anyway, this is probably my last check-in, we leave tomorrow! We are going to be in the parks ALL DAY Sunday-Thursday. Can't believe it is already here :cheer2:

Safe travels and have a blast!! Time flies - we leave in just over 2 weeks for our trip just hubby and me (first time ever without our grown sons)

Hello everyone,
I'm slightly overwhelmed with the number of pages in this thread ... Yikes! :)
The countdown is on for our upcoming trip, Dec 20-24.
I was just checking out the Dineyland website, and noticed that Disneyland Park has their hours posted for the dates we are going, but California Adventure does not. Is this normal, for CA to release them later? We are staying at the Pardise Pier, so plan to use the Early Entrance each morning, but I was starting to wonder, since CA didn't have their hours up.
During the busy holiday time, do both parks usually open early for hotel guests, or just one park per day?
Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Alison

Hi, Alison!:wave:

Welcome! There's no need to be overwhelmed. You don't have to read the whole thread. (There are a lot of pages because it's a popular thread, and I post a lot of information, rumors and news about the holiday season here that I don't post anywhere else on the forum. Also, we just wrapped up a 3-1/2 month-long photo-filled Theme Week Countdown, and that made the thread very long because we had a lot of participation. But that's over now!)

The posts on page 1 of the thread are broken up into different categories (important dates, food, merchandise, hotels, Downtown Disney, etc.), so if you want to read and learn a bit about the holiday happenings in those specific areas you can do so.

Otherwise, just jump right in and join us, which you did!:cheer2::cheer2:

The hours and general calendar of events on the Disneyland Resort website are often kooky. Honestly, they do things very differently than WDW does things in terms of when they announce information, dates, schedules and do forth.

It's too early right now for the DLR website to have the full schedule and hours for your dates, I think. They usually begin to update at about the 6-week point (so, 6 weeks out from your first day in the parks there should be hours, etc.), but even after the 6-week point the schedule is often not filled in or complete -- in fact, it's quite common for the entire schedule and hours to not be complete. Sometimes there is info that is not filled in until just a week or two before something is set to begin -- seriously!

If it helps any, this is what the hours were last year in December -- HERE.

You're going during the peak time -- just a few days before Christmas -- so the hours will be as extended as they can possibly be in both parks (and you can see what those hours were like last year).

When you stay onsite (I love the PPH!), you get an EMH/Extra Magic Hour into one park every day of your stay (even on your arrival and departure days!) -- and it is the park that is determined by Disney. In other words, you can't choose which park to go into early. You will have early access to Disneyland on certain days, and California Adventure on others. There will be signs up at the PPH desks to tell you which park you can enter early that morning.

In the past (can't recall if it was last year or 2012), I remember there was a situation in which Disney allowed early entry to both parks every day, but it was just a special deal for a limited time, and it lasted very briefly (probably based on how crowded it was). The norm is for just one park per day to be open for your EMH.

A friend of mine was there yesterday and posted a picture on FB of the Santa Sleigh and Reindeer.

Also wanted to add that I am actually looking forward to seeing the Jingle Cruise this year. I was disappointment with it last year I kept saying there was more holiday decorations in the que area then on the ride. Although that may have to do with the hour wait we had.

Jenasweetemotion --

That's great to hear! When I saw that photo on Disneyland Today -- especially after seeing Misskitty3's photo in which there was no Santa at the end of the street -- I began to wonder if they were using a photo from last year for their Facebook post.:rotfl2: I'm so relieved to hear that your friend saw the Santa display in person and that we now know it is there. It was a nice little touch last year, and Hollywood Land needs the holiday cheer.

I do think that Jingle Cruise was set up last year so that the queue/boathouse would be more festive and holiday-ized than the ride itself. I am guessing that was just Disney testing the waters, so to speak. They probably didn't know if doing too much too soon on that ride would rub people the wrong way, so they started out with very minor holiday additions, then added in a few more as the season wore on -- and finally realized they needed to kick it all up a notch, putting fruitcakes in the hippos' mouths, having an "ugly sweater party" and the whole nine yards!

I think that if Disney had done too much at once with Jingle Cruise, some naysayers would have complained and said "This is too cheesy," and "You've ruined a classic ride." But by doing a very minimal overlay and leaving everyone wanting more decorations and more holiday details added in, it left some wiggle room to be able to expand the holiday overlay a bit.

I don't think Jingle Cruise will ever be at the level of HMH or IASWH in terms of overlays, but it appears to be greatly improved from last year!

It looks so much more festive than last year. I wonder what they've added to the upstairs?

Safe travels. :goodvibes

Jenny --

I like the concept of the animals getting into all of the decorations and messing it up, with garland and ornaments scattered about, fruitcakes floating around, etc. I like the one scene (shown in the gallery photos) with the cubs playing with the reindeer head!:rotfl2::rotfl2: It's an overlay -- but it's an overlay done with humor, which I appreciate!

I never even got upstairs last year to see what was there -- I have only seen photos of the upstairs portion of the queue -- so if I can get up there just to see whatever is there I will be content! Not that I welcome a long line, but if that is the only way to get up there then I have no choice but to wait in line!

egritz --

It wasn't that long ago that you decided to make the trek back to DLR for the holidays, and now the trip is here!

I hope that it's a great trip! Report back to us when you get home!

Good morning everyone!

Sherry thank you for re-posting that link to the DPB Jingle Cruise gallery because I missed it the first time around as well. The decorations looks fantastic! The hippos trying to eat the fruitcake is my personal favorite :rotfl2:

I'm leaving for my trip exactly two weeks from today. Can't believe it's gotten here already!

As I've said before, I don't really like to promote the competition (they don't promote us), but I know that, right now, at this early stage of the game, everyone is anxious for photos and details of the new holiday season at DLR -- and I will bring that info and those photos to you when/how I can. So, on that note, this is a rather photo-heavy and festive installment from MiceAge, from yesterday's opening day of the season -- HERE.

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Good morning everyone!

Sherry thank you for re-posting that link to the DPB Jingle Cruise gallery because I missed it the first time around as well. The decorations looks fantastic! The hippos trying to eat the fruitcake is my personal favorite :rotfl2:

I'm leaving for my trip exactly two weeks from today. Can't believe it's gotten here already!

jammyjam25 --

You're welcome! I try to re-post certain things (not everything) every so often, in case people missed them, or in case people don't go back to check the first page for any new links and info.

I really enjoy the addition of the fruitcake on Jingle Cruise! When I first saw it I thought it was, perhaps, a wreath -- because the candied fruits looked so perfectly shiny and round, like ornaments, and the cake itself was so round. And then I realized it was fruitcake.:rotfl2: And then I saw the ugly Christmas sweaters and the reindeer head!:rotfl2:

This year has flown by. I remember looking at the calendar and realizing that there were "only" 11 months, then only 7 months, then 4 months, etc., until the holidays were to begin at DLR. And now we are right in the middle of them!

I hope you have an amazing holiday adventure at DLR!

Thank You for the link Sherry--
I love that Paradise Pier actually has some decorations this year, like aroung Toy Story, that is new!
The Santa signs are there, in Hollywood land, on the palm Tree's like last year... at least until/when/if Frozen takes over.

I am getting very Excited, 11 days until I am there!! :santa::woohoo::santa:

I really Love the frosted Rice Krispy treats.... the cupcakes look wonderful too!

No dieting allowed at DLR over the holidays! :wizard:

--Lori:santa:

As I've said before, I don't really like to promote the competition (they don't promote us), but I know that, right now, at this early stage of the game, everyone is anxious for photos and details of the new holiday season at DLR -- and I will bring that info and those photos to you when/how I can. So, on that note, this is a rather photo-heavy and festive installment from MiceAge, from yesterday's opening day of the season -- HERE.

In that report about the Jingle Cruise it says that "They have even gone so far as to add scents to specific portions of the ride." That is interesting I am curious if it will be like the ISWH and HMH with the smells. Since the ride is out doors I am wondering how far the smells will travel.

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but is the Anna & Elsa meet and greet open during EMH?

Mouseketeers4 --

I don't think anyone has asked or answered that question in this thread! You know, I honestly have no idea if the A&E meet & greet is open during EMH, but my educated guess would be that it is not open that early. I think it would probably open after the EMH.

Thank You for the link Sherry--
I love that Paradise Pier actually has some decorations this year, like aroung Toy Story, that is new!
The Santa signs are there, in Hollywood land, on the palm Tree's like last year... at least until/when/if Frozen takes over.

I am getting very Excited, 11 days until I am there!! :santa::woohoo::santa:

I really Love the frosted Rice Krispy treats.... the cupcakes look wonderful too!

No dieting allowed at DLR over the holidays! :wizard:

--Lori:santa:

Lori --

Paradise Pier is one of those places that actually has quite a few decorations all around the land (when you think about its different components, such as the Winter Dreams area, Viva Navidad, the actual Pier/gazebo/large tree, the Little Mermaid ride façade, etc., you realize it has quite a bit), but it's a land that doesn't seem to have many decorations in most people's eyes!:rotfl2:

I guess that we could say that Paradise Pier is a 'deceptively decorated' land!:rotfl2:

In any case, yes -- the garland at TSMM is new! I have noticed that when Disney starts decorating certain areas all of a sudden, it sometimes hints or indicates that they plan to do something new in that area down the road (like the following year, or several months later). It's almost as if they want to start drawing people's attention to those forgotten locations so the areas will be fresh on people's minds in the future when whatever 'new' thing comes along.

Last year, suddenly Hollywood Land had decorations... and this year Hollywood Land, as we know, is supposedly going to be at the epicenter of the Frozen activities late in the season.

This year, all of a sudden there is garland near TSMM. That seems to be a ploy to draw people's attention to that spot. Could it be that next year is when the long-delayed TSMM holiday overlay finally appears?:idea: It would make sense to add something new in DCA, since DL will largely be focused on 60th anniversary events.

The sea-themed garland on the Little Mermaid façade is now consistent with the look of the Christmas tree inside Ariel's Grotto -- so now the two Little Mermaid-themed locations in DCA have a connection in terms of themed décor.

Yes! I saw the round Santa sign on the tree in Hollywood Land -- however, MiceAge also mentioned that the décor was minimal. It seems that there might be less of it than there was last year, from what has been seen in photos. I have to get there myself and make that final assessment!

I am actually quite surprised by the lack of new designs for the sweet treats this year. Almost all of it looks exactly the same as it did in 2013, with the exception of a few new token Frozen baked goods thrown in, and the pom pom stuck onto the Crispy Treat.

In that report about the Jingle Cruise it says that "They have even gone so far as to add scents to specific portions of the ride." That is interesting I am curious if it will be like the ISWH and HMH with the smells. Since the ride is out doors I am wondering how far the smells will travel.

Jenasweetemotion --

I wonder if the scent is fruitcake?:rotfl2: It would make sense, since it appears that the cake is floating in the water and that it has been busted out of its gift tins.

Good point -- the outdoor aspect of the ride seems like it would work against the scents, especially on a breezy or rainy day, but hopefully they will linger in the air long enough to smell them.

Ewww, the scent of Fruitcake could chase people away! Mincemeat....... Gag!
but....... it might be easier to get on the ride! So, Mincemeat away! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I guess you are right about the "hidden" decoration in PP... they have always had that great tree... it is deceptively decorated... maybe because its always crowded when I am there, I have not really noticed? Its possible! :confused3

This will be a more laid back trip for me, no brother, running the show, and all he cares about is riding 24/7!:faint:

--Lori

It is (or has been), but remember you need to get a FP for it. There is no standby line for it anymore.

It's open during the Extra Magic Hour, with a Fastpass? I would have assumed that the FPs for the meet & greet didn't start until after the park officially opened. Good to know!

Thank you for speaking up, Jamie!:worship:

It's open during the Extra Magic Hour, with a Fastpass? I would have assumed that the FPs for the meet & greet didn't start until after the park officially opened. Good to know! Thank you for speaking up, Jamie!:worship:

It was when we were there in Oct, so I'm assuming that's the norm. I think I remember reading they'll put the first few families right in the queue to meet then, but the rest are given FP to come back later and yes, some of the FP return times are still within the MM/EMH hour. That said, when we were there last month, I hadn't planned on seeing them, having seen them in June and knowing we had this longer trip coming up. I happened to walk by where they were distributing the FPs (It's a handheld machine, btw) and saw there was no line at about 8:30 (7am EMH/MM), so I grabbed some for us. We had a return time of 6:30-6:50pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter