Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #3!- HOLIDAYS BEGIN 11/12/13!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, NewbieMouse!

I'm so glad you found us here in the new thread!

:rotfl2:I cast my evil DLR holiday spell on people and it has worked yet again!:rotfl2: I'm happy to see you are planning your fourth holiday trip in a row!:cool1:

Since you've been visiting DLR during the Christmas season for the last few years, how do you think the 2012 season compared to 2010 and 2011? I thought that 2012's season was great for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was the fact that DCA was finally complete and it felt more involved in the festivities. I think it was the best holiday season in at least a few years.

How exciting that you're going to Disneyland Paris!:cheer2: Why would DH think the idea is crazy? How could you not go there, is what I would say! Have a great time.

I don't think it would seem like Christmas now without a trip to Disney!

This year was really great. I agree that DCA was much more festive than in previous years. But I miss the California letters done in candy cane stripe and the reindeer. But I ate at the Earl of Sandwich twice!

DH thinks spending time at Disneyland while in Europe is a sin. :confused3 But we are spending six weeks there so he was able to be talked into only one day. But we can't tell this kids, as he said he couldn't stand hearing, "When are we going to Disneyland?" as we drive around looking at all this other cool stuff! :laughing:

I don't think it would seem like Christmas now without a trip to Disney!

This year was really great. I agree that DCA was much more festive than in previous years. But I miss the California letters done in candy cane stripe and the reindeer. But I ate at the Earl of Sandwich twice!

DH thinks spending time at Disneyland while in Europe is a sin. :confused3 But we are spending six weeks there so he was able to be talked into only one day. But we can't tell this kids, as he said he couldn't stand hearing, "When are we going to Disneyland?" as we drive around looking at all this other cool stuff! :laughing:

That's the problem (and I only use the word "problem" because of the expense involved) - once you've done a holiday trip at DLR and fallen in love with it, it's hard to then not go for the holidays. It's addictive!

I miss those candy cane letters too! While I loved that DCA was much more a part of the holiday experience in 2012, I kept thinking that I wished there had been a way to keep the letters (even though they don't fit the new theme of Buena Vista Street at all).

So you became an Earl of Sandwich fan too? Same here! To be honest, until people started talking about EoS here on the DLR forum before it opened last year, I had never heard of it at all. I saw it in November and it was packed with people so that made me steer clear...and then I ended up eating there on 3 separate nights during my December trip!:rotfl2: Earl of Sandwich even made two rather significant mistakes on my friend's order and on one of my orders on 2 of those 3 nights, and I still ate there again!

In fact, I sent EoS an e-mail quite a while after my trip ended, just to let them know that there had been mistakes made on 2 nights and since they are still new to DLR they might want to keep an eye on whoever is preparing the sandwiches. I told them that we ate their sandwiches anyway, even with the mistakes, and that I thought they were a really great addition to the Disneyland Resort. I found it very handy to be able to get their sandwiches wrapped snugly in foil and put in a takeout bag to bring back to my PPH room.

I wasn't even expecting anything more than a "Thank you for letting us know" sort of canned reply from EoS - and they sent me several free sandwich cards to use on my next visit!:cool1: I was really shocked and delighted. So even though I had already decided that I liked EoS, the fact that they sent me free sandwich cards (when it wasn't necessary) made me like them even more!:thumbsup2

Six weeks in Europe? Wow! I am so envious of you. That is amazing. First of all, yes, six weeks should certainly warrant one day at Disneyland Paris. Second - please tell me you are going to Italy during that long time frame! Italy is at the top of my list (with maybe Greece in second place) of European countries I would want to visit. Are you hitting as many countries as you can manage, or sticking to one or two?

There's a fair to decent chance we'll be going to Disneyland over Christmas this year. I'll be checking in frequently. DS says we have to get a candy cane this year.

There's a fair to decent chance we'll be going to Disneyland over Christmas this year. I'll be checking in frequently. DS says we have to get a candy cane this year.

Helllllloooooooo, Jenny!

Welcome! I'm glad you found us in the new thread - and I'm also glad to hear that you could very possibly be back at DLR for the holidays! After your 2011 trip it didn't quite sound as though you would be back for the holidays any time soon. A 2-year gap isn't so bad! Time flies!

So you might actually be at DLR directly over the Christmas holiday this time around? That should be a lot of fun! One of these years I will get there right over Christmas.

I've got to add a link to your November 2011 "Strike Yer Colors..." TR to the TR post on Page 1 - I have been meaning to do that for a while and I keep forgetting!:rotfl2:

If I'm not mistaken, I think that danimaroo got the famous candy canes in 2012, from what I recall of her TR. I think that DizNee Luver/Laurie got one too!

This has nothing to do with Disneyland at Christmastime, but I had to brag--we opened the mail this morning, and our wonderful daughter, who went to Disneyland over Christmas for her high school graduation trip (okay, maybe a little something..;)), managed to score a $6,000/year college scholarship!

Mom and Dad are crazy with pride.

This has nothing to do with Disneyland at Christmastime, but I had to brag--we opened the mail this morning, and our wonderful daughter, who went to Disneyland over Christmas for her high school graduation trip (okay, maybe a little something..;)), managed to score a $6,000/year college scholarship!

mellers -

That's wonderful!:cheer2::cheer2: Congratulations to your daughter and to you! I can imagine that you are bursting with joy. She must be a great student, which would make any parent proud.

mellers -

That's wonderful!:cheer2::cheer2: Congratulations to your daughter and to you! I can imagine that you are bursting with joy. She must be a great student, which would make any parent proud.

Thank you so much! She really is a wonderful student--and an amazing one. She was diagnosed with autism and cerebral palsy at 3, and there was some question as to whether or not she would even be able to attend regular classes.

Progress was slow at first, but then, she kept doing better and better, and finally, she started overtaking the typical students. She finished high school in 2.5 years, and is now taking sophomore college level anatomy and physiology--and she's 16. She really, really earned this, and I couldn't be prouder.

Helllllloooooooo, Jenny!

Welcome! I'm glad you found us in the new thread - and I'm also glad to hear that you could very possibly be back at DLR for the holidays! After your 2011 trip it didn't quite sound as though you would be back for the holidays any time soon. A 2-year gap isn't so bad! Time flies!

So you might actually be at DLR directly over the Christmas holiday this time around? That should be a lot of fun! One of these years I will get there right over Christmas.

I've got to add a link to your November 2011 "Strike Yer Colors..." TR to the TR post on Page 1 - I have been meaning to do that for a while and I keep forgetting!:rotfl2:

If I'm not mistaken, I think that danimaroo got the famous candy canes in 2012, from what I recall of her TR. I think that DizNee Luver/Laurie got one too!

I didn't think we'd be back either but DS wants a trip to Disneyland for his bar mitzvah in leu of a huge party (the girls also chose trips). Because missing school is no longer an option and the summer just won't work, the next big break we've got is over the winter holidays. :woohoo: While I'd much prefer early December, I'll take a crowded Disney over no Disney. Ideally we'd check in 12/22 and spend 5 nights at the parks and then stay with my best friend for another two nights with a night in Vegas on each end.

Thank you again for always making this thread and keeping it so fun. :goodvibes

Looks like I will have to keep tabs on this thread...we are wanting to go to the Grand Californian for a week (studio room) in the first two weeks of December so that we can see the decorations. I love christmas time and I think Disney might do it well...so I guess I have to wait for May before I can book the room at the 7 month mark (here is hoping I can get it ok). We have no kids so we aren't picky when, but I think it will be quietest at the park in the first two weeks.

Stefani

Well, there are 1000 TR's that people probably don't know about (or just don't have time to read), but I've had that specific post with all of the TR links (including Chris') on Page 1 for over a month.

However, since I added many more TR's to the list than I did in the previous Superthread, I am now going back and putting 'moderator's notes,' for lack of a better phrase, next to some of them - with references to what I think will be the highlights for the readers. This will help attract more people to the TR's that may get forgotten about or lost in the fray. I started doing the 'notes' part of it last night, but I'm not done with it. There are other notes I want to add in, but I have to scroll through some TR's a bit to know what I want to add.

That will be great. I think the moderator notes will be very helpful :goodvibes

Every year I threaten that we won't go back because of the ticket price increases, but Sherry's enthusiasm wears me down and I've booked us again to go back this year! :lmao: We will be going a bit later (Dec 17-19) because of when DH's conference is, so I'm a bit nervous about that. This past year it was nice and quiet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed again for one of those elusive PIN codes to stay at GCH.

We are also going to do a surprise stop in July at Disneyland Paris for 1 day when we are in Europe (1 day is all DH would consider, as he thinks the whole idea is crazy). But I'm pumped! :cool1:

How could you be that close and NOT stop for at least a day at DL Paris?? :artist:

Brag away! This is spectacular news. I'm glad you shared it with your DIS board family. :yay:

Thank you so much! She really is a wonderful student--and an amazing one. She was diagnosed with autism and cerebral palsy at 3, and there was some question as to whether or not she would even be able to attend regular classes.

Progress was slow at first, but then, she kept doing better and better, and finally, she started overtaking the typical students. She finished high school in 2.5 years, and is now taking sophomore college level anatomy and physiology--and she's 16. She really, really earned this, and I couldn't be prouder.

mellers -

Wow! She's only 16?! Such amazing accomplishments for such a young lady. It sounds like she is going to do great things in life.

I didn't think we'd be back either but DS wants a trip to Disneyland for his bar mitzvah in leu of a huge party (the girls also chose trips). Because missing school is no longer an option and the summer just won't work, the next big break we've got is over the winter holidays. :woohoo: While I'd much prefer early December, I'll take a crowded Disney over no Disney. Ideally we'd check in 12/22 and spend 5 nights at the parks and then stay with my best friend for another two nights with a night in Vegas on each end.

Thank you again for always making this thread and keeping it so fun. :goodvibes

Jenny -

You're welcome! And thank you for the kind words.:goodvibes It took a while to hit the page limit in the previous thread but when we did it was time to start anew!

I agree - early December would be preferable, but going during the more crowded days may not be so bad if you're staying multiple nights and can kind of stretch everything out. I think the crowds really factor in much more and are much more of a hindrance when trips are shorter. A 5-night trip with 5 days or so should be enough time to be able to get everything done despite the crowds.

The fact that DCA is now actually part of the holiday celebration (whereas in the past it seemed detached) helps a bit because it lures people over there and out of Disneyland. That way things balance out a bit more between the two parks and not everyone is packed into Disneyland to experience the season. I think that in the past people automatically gravitated to Disneyland because it seemed like the majority of the holiday festivities were there. If they have other holiday options then they don't need to stay in Disneyland the entire time.

And Vegas too? That will be a fun holiday extravaganza of a trip! That should be fun too! I miss Vegas. I haven't been there in soooooo long, and so many things have been built or added since I was last there.

Looks like I will have to keep tabs on this thread...we are wanting to go to the Grand Californian for a week (studio room) in the first two weeks of December so that we can see the decorations. I love christmas time and I think Disney might do it well...so I guess I have to wait for May before I can book the room at the 7 month mark (here is hoping I can get it ok). We have no kids so we aren't picky when, but I think it will be quietest at the park in the first two weeks.

Stefani

Hello and welcome, Stefani! Thank you for joining us!

I hope you can get the Grand Californian room with no problem at all!

Yes - I can assure you that Disney does Christmas time (and the whole holiday season, starting in early November and lasting until early January) very, very well! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. I am a Christmas season fanatic in general (love the music, love the decorations, love the treats, love the holiday movies and TV specials, etc.) and Disneyland's version of Christmas is amazing!

If you ever get the time, have a look through the previous Christmas Superthread (which I closed when it hit the page limit). The link to it is at the very top of the first post on Page 1 of this thread. You may not want to ruin any surprises for yourself by seeing pictures, but there are a lot of wonderful photos in that thread and lots of good info. Otherwise, stick around here and we will all be discussing breaking news or holiday season-related developments as they roll in!

The first two weeks of December are good. I feel like that's the best time to get lower crowds (not necessarily low crowds, but just lower than other times) with the complete array of entertainment, food and decorations - including the 3 hotels and Downtown Disney. Once it hits mid-December and beyond, the crowds increase as more folks take their holiday breaks.

That will be great. I think the moderator notes will be very helpful :goodvibes

TK -

I hope it will help.

My thinking is that there are probably certain trip reports that contain certain photos or info that will be of interest to certain readers, so I am hoping to help 'connect' readers to the TR's that could be most relevant to them.

Let's say, for example, someone wanted to see great pictures of the parade or of the fireworks. If they didn't necessarily know which reports had a large quantity of those photos they might never read them. The readers don't have time to read through every single TR to find one or two that contain what they are interested in...and chances are they probably miss out on or skip a lot of reports that have the exact things they would be interested in.

I am trying to point out the elements that I think will be the highlights or 'selling points' of certain TR's for the readers.

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm not even close to being done. I still have many more notes to make, but I got a decent start!

We are booked for Dec 7-12 at DLH went for Halloween time last year and loved it. We are big Christmas fans and can't wait to see Walt's Park at that time of year. Thank you Sherry for this thread.

So you became an Earl of Sandwich fan too?

I got hooked on Earl of Sandwich in Vegas. How could an Earl of Sandwich go wrong? I hope they screw up my sandwich, and send me a bunch of free coupons.

Six weeks in Europe? Wow! I am so envious of you. That is amazing. First of all, yes, six weeks should certainly warrant one day at Disneyland Paris. Second - please tell me you are going to Italy during that long time frame! Italy is at the top of my list (with maybe Greece in second place) of European countries I would want to visit. Are you hitting as many countries as you can manage, or sticking to one or two?

We are going to London for a week, Paris for a week, and then renting a car and driving around for four weeks (mostly France & Italy, with a little Austria, Switzerland & Germany in there, too). We're going to hit Disney at the very end before we fly back. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for the similarities and differences. I'm a little terrified - I have DL down, I'm afraid of any variations - the idea of a trip to WDW scares the heck out of me!

We are booked for Dec 7-12 at DLH went for Halloween time last year and loved it. We are big Christmas fans and can't wait to see Walt's Park at that time of year. Thank you Sherry for this thread.

ashnjam -

You're welcome!

I absolutely love Halloween Time at DLR too, but DLR celebrates the holiday season on a whole different level. The decorations and overall merriment (right down to the music that is played from land to land) are more extensive and thorough. You'll have a great time!

Wow...what a thread...going to be here awhile reading LOL.

Stefani

Stefani -

Take your time! There's lots to read in the previous thread, and we will eventually get into some fun stuff like Theme Weeks (in August) in this thread, not to mention discussions about any breaking holiday news. Hopefully you'll enjoy it!

I got hooked on Earl of Sandwich in Vegas. How could an Earl of Sandwich go wrong? I hope they screw up my sandwich, and send me a bunch of free coupons.

We are going to London for a week, Paris for a week, and then renting a car and driving around for four weeks (mostly France & Italy, with a little Austria, Switzerland & Germany in there, too). We're going to hit Disney at the very end before we fly back. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for the similarities and differences. I'm a little terrified - I have DL down, I'm afraid of any variations - the idea of a trip to WDW scares the heck out of me!

NewbieMouse -

If Earl of Sandwich does make a mistake on your order, be sure to write in on their website. When I told the cashier in person in the restaurant, she seemed disinterested.

How did I forget about London? While Italy is still at the top of my bucket list, I would love to visit London during Christmas time!

Driving around for four weeks in Europe sounds amazing - just taking the time to explore and discover things in your own time (not part of a guided tour or anything). How exciting!:banana:

Okay, folks, it is time for some color in this thread! I haven't posted any photos here since I began the thread last month! Seeing that these Superthreads function best if they have a combo of information, discussion and photos, I am going to share some photos!

This is the first of 2 posts featuring a sort of overview/highlight reel of the 2012 holiday season at Disneyland Resort, as experienced by me in November and December! Of course, I took many, many more photos than these but they are all in my November and December trip reports (the links to which are in my signature below)!

Cars Land (this is only a small glimpse of what was there)

Snowy the Snow Car...

IMG_6176.jpg

Season’s Speedings...

IMG_6565.jpg

Dusk falls on Cars Land...

IMG_6430.jpg

Mater gingerbread sculpture in Flo's...

IMG_6192.jpg

Gingerbread model of Cozy Cone property...

IMG_6215.jpg

Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree sign...

IMG_6375.jpg

Mater’s tree – daytime...

IMG_6240.jpg

Mater's tree - nighttime...

IMG_6571.jpg

Buena Vista Street

Carthay Circle...

IMG_6743.jpg

Bell Ringers...

IMG_7471.jpg

The bright color provided by the random poinsettia beds accentuates the land...

IMG_6027.jpg

The Buena Vista Street Christmas tree...

IMG_6149.jpg

IMG_6443.jpg

IMG_6442.jpg

Trolley Treats' window display...

IMG_6455.jpg

Hollywood Land (formerly Hollywood Pictures Backlot)

IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

Paradise Pier

IMG_6703.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg

Jingle Jangle Jamboree

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

IMG_6306.jpg

Toon Town

IMG_7203.jpg

IMG_7204.jpg

The Winter Castle

IMG_7331.jpg

Part 2 of 2 - next post

(Part 2 of 2 - Sherry's highlight reel of the 2012 holiday season at Disneyland Resort)

It’s a Small World Holiday

IMG_7294.jpg

New Orleans Square Mardi Gras Masks (only a few of many!)

IMG_6876.jpg

IMG_6992.jpg

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_7055.jpg

Haunted Mansion Holiday

IMG_7491.jpg

Grand Californian Hotel

Storytellers Café gingerbread house...

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

White Water Snacks gingerbread house...

IMG_6674.jpg

Grand Californian Hotel tree ...

IMG_6628.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

Paradise Pier Hotel

Sunrise...

IMG_7717.jpg

PPH Tree...

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

Critter Country

IMG_7131.jpg

IMG_7126.jpg

Candlelight Processional/Ceremony

Flowers in front of the stage...

IMG_6809.jpg

IMG_6813.jpg

IMG_6814.jpg

Tree singers...

IMG_7227.jpg

Lou Diamond Phillips...

IMG_7228.jpg

Main Street

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_7460.jpg

Fantasyland

IMG_7196.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

I just wanted to thank Sherry for all the great Christmas pics...I loved them. I'm in the process of 12 weeks of physio to correct the curve in my spine, and shoulder/neck injuries (fully paid by the insurance agency). Recovering one day at a time, and really looking forward to my Nov trip. tskbaskets, hope that you convince your family to go to DL, if you can get your schedules to align properly. The crash may prevent me from going on some of the wilder rides, but we'll see how it goes, once I recover. I'm a recovering ride chicken, who prior to the crash was determined to do all the rides I avoided in the past. So we'll see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter