Disneyland annual passholder fights 1-year ban for selling tickets on eBay

I don't see why the guy is surprised that Disney came down on him for selling event night tickets. Claiming he didn't realize it wasn't allowed seems disingenuous. Who doesn't know you can't (legally) resell Disney tickets on ebay? Now honestly, I didn't know you weren't allowed to give them to someone else, but selling them on ebay?

Maybe call or chat with Disney first for something like that. But to be honest, I'm glad Disney holds a strict policy to prevent resales. Just because this guy supposedly didn't charge more than he paid doesn't mean others won't. Who wants the tickets to go to resellers who will drastically raise the price to a sold-out event?

It's a hard and expensive lesson learned, I guess, but I'm happy that Disney is trying to stop scalpers.

I am skeptical he really didn't know selling his tickets wasn't allowed. For someone to be a passholder for so many years, and clearly a regular Disney parks visitor, I have a hard time believing he didn't know.

Also, may have "offered" the tickets for sale at face value, but according to Disney they sold for higher, so some have guessed he probably listed them at auction on ebay. But either way, he violated the terms, and I'm glad Disney is holding firm. I'd rather the rule be applied to those who try reselling, rather than not upheld at all.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but the subject usually comes up in event threads, especially OBB. A Magic Key AP was banned for 1-year due to reselling Sweetheart’s Nite tickets. Not at a markup, but face value. And no refund was given. Just fyi.

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/20...ights-1-year-ban-for-selling-tickets-on-ebay/

The article is unclear. He says in one part that he sold them at face value, and then later it says when he apologized to Disney he sold them for more than face value.

Either way isn't allowed though, so essentially he effed around and found out.

As an MK holder, there's no way he didn't know, he just didn't think he'd get caught.

I don't see why the guy is surprised that Disney came down on him for selling event night tickets. Claiming he didn't realize it wasn't allowed seems disingenuous. Who doesn't know you can't (legally) resell Disney tickets on ebay? Now honestly, I didn't know you weren't allowed to give them to someone else, but selling them on ebay?

Maybe call or chat with Disney first for something like that. But to be honest, I'm glad Disney holds a strict policy to prevent resales. Just because this guy supposedly didn't charge more than he paid doesn't mean others won't. Who wants the tickets to go to resellers who will drastically raise the price to a sold-out event?

It's a hard and expensive lesson learned, I guess, but I'm happy that Disney is trying to stop scalpers.
Same here, I don't know how he didn't know, especially as a long time pass holder!

If tickets aren't refundable, I think it's pretty crappy that you can't resell them for face value. Sometimes things happen.
The problem is that when there are limited numbers of tickets for something, like a special event night, you could have people buying up huge chunks of tickets. When the event has sold out, they can then charge a whole lot more. They make a huge profit and a lot of people who would have been able to buy them had the resellers not grabbed them first are left out in the cold. There is nothing to prevent that without saying that you may not resell the tickets.

Edited to add that I don't think Disney would want to try and keep track of who was reselling for profit and who wasn't. I think Disney did say that the couple should have reached out to them first.

If tickets aren't refundable, I think it's pretty crappy that you can't resell them for face value. Sometimes things happen.
I wish they were refundable. We bought tickets for 2 after dark events in the last few years that we couldn't attend and Disneyland wouldn't make any exceptions for refunds, even for a medical emergency. After the last time we decided not to try anymore. I asked why they can't refund them, just out of curiosity, and the CM said that since they only set up a site to sell them temporarily it would be too difficult to do refunds.

The problem is that when there are limited numbers of tickets for something, like a special event night, you could have people buying up huge chunks of tickets. When the event has sold out, they can then charge a whole lot more. They make a huge profit and a lot of people who would have been able to buy them had the resellers not grabbed them first are left out in the cold. There is nothing to prevent that without saying that you may not resell the tickets.

Edited to add that I don't think Disney would want to try and keep track of who was reselling for profit and who wasn't. I think Disney did say that the couple should have reached out to them first.
There's a big difference between selling them for face value and selling them for a profit. If Disney is tracking this on Ebay, it doesn't seem complicated at all to see if they sold for face value or something more.

I haven’t attended ticketed events at either Disneyland or Disney World, so I don’t know whether IDs are checked at entry. It sounds like the issue wasn’t someone else using the ticket, though, but that the ticket was offered on eBay.

I can understand someone not realizing that selling a ticket to a friend at face value is against the rules, especially if IDs aren’t checked at entry. However, selling a ticket on eBay for an amount above face value (even if the original posting was at face value) is easily trackable by Disney.

I haven’t attended ticketed events at either Disneyland or Disney World, so I don’t know whether IDs are checked at entry. It sounds like the issue wasn’t someone else using the ticket, though, but that the ticket was offered on eBay.

I can understand someone not realizing that selling a ticket to a friend at face value is against the rules, especially if IDs aren’t checked at entry. However, selling a ticket on eBay for an amount above face value (even if the original posting was at face value) is easily trackable by Disney.
I don't even know how you would sell a ticket on Ebay above face value if you listed it for exactly face value. Ebay would certainly take issue with that as well.

Disneyland does not check ID. We also had earlier Sweethearts Nites tickets that we couldn't make because of an injury. I called and asked if I could at least just give the tickets to my in-laws and they said I didn't even need to change the names on the tickets. So they are pretty understanding.

It was most likely the fact it was listed on eBay.

If you're a Disney goer like the.mk holder, use the expired tickets for face value to the renewal costs. They retain value of unused tickets.

Edit. This may nit be true for special event dated tickets.

Last edited:
Don't know. Never let mine expire🥰

Regular tickets and socal tickets this is true. One ticket to one ticket. If cheaper, then you lose the difference. If more then pay the difference.
The other poster is correct. This is from Disney's terms and conditions:

Unless otherwise stated, the amount paid for any wholly unused, expired Disneyland® Resort Theme Park ticket, except for special event tickets, may be applied towards the purchase of a new Theme Park ticket at the current price so long as the new ticket purchase price is equal to or greater than the amount paid for the original ticket.

There have also been instances where Disney specifically stated the value of an offered at that time socal/ca ticket may not be applied, so that one can vary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter