Disneyland and the Grand Californian

Whatsthegoodword

DIS Veteran
We've just returned from a short vacation at Disneyland. We stayed at the Grand Californian. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Here goes:

On the Grand Californian: We enjoyed our stay at the GC, but I can't say that it was worth it. When you stay on property at WDW, you are completely surrounded by that "magic." It ain't that way at Disneyland. Competing hotels are a short walk away, and next time we'll check them out. If the prices are similar, I'll still stay on property, but if they're much lower - as I suspect they are - then I won't. My parents also were there, and they stayed at the Disneyland Hotel (which is cheaper). I liked their room better than mine at the GC. All that being said, the lobby at the GC is beautiful, and comparable to some at WDW. Another plus for the DLH is that Trader Sam's is right outside. It's a neat bar and is a little larger than the one at the Polynesian. They don't have as many custom drink glasses at this version for some strange reason.

Disneyland is awesome! It's comparable to the Magic Kingdom in overview - but different in subtle ways. Some of the rides - like Pirates are MUCH longer! I won't say that it's all that better, just longer. You get more "caves" and longer transitions, but the scenes are similar. Same "We wants the redhead!" Same burning town... The best thing about going to DL is seeing the different attractions: Alice in Wonderland, Mr Toad's, Pinnochio, Snow White, the castle walkthrough, the Canal Boats, Casey Jr, Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Finding Nemo (former 20,000 Leagues), Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin, and the Matterhorn. All of these are well done and worth your time, but wow is Finding Nemo a slow loader! I understand why they took it out at WDW. Temple of the Forbidden Eye is better than Dinosaur, in my opinion, even thought they share the same ride design. Three rides had overlays: "Jingle Cruise", "Hyperspace Mountain", and "Haunted Mansion Holiday." The Jungle Cruise overlay was the most crude. They literally just took Christmas decorations and threw it all over the ride. It's not much of an addition. On the other hand, the HM is practically a different ride altogether with all of the Jack Skellington additions. I'm glad I've seen it, but I prefer the classic ride. Hyperspace Mountain is a Star Wars overlay on SM, and it WORKS. It is very well done! They could leave it that way and it'd be fine with me! ...but I assume that it will go away after SW land opens. I hate it that the train, Island, and all ships were down while we were there. They're mine and my Dad's favorite things at DL.

They're still using the old paper Fast Pass at DL & California Adventure. In some ways it's better - and it some ways it's not. It's a tossup, really.

California Adventure is a fine park, and is very similar to Hollywood Studios. We rode the Tower of Terror on its last day of operation. That was cool. The Tower out there is different. Not the same level of detail at at WDW, and the ride itself isn't as good either. Hard to explain... California Screaming a great old-style roller coaster, and everything in Radiator Springs is top notch: RS Racers, Mater's, and Luigi's. My youngest rode Luigi's 5 or 6 times. :) Mickey's Fun Wheel is a neat twist on a ferris wheel, and the Monster's Inc ride is fun, if a little typical. Of course Midway Mania is always fun. We didn't get to the other "fair rides" at Paradise Pier, but they looked fun. Lastly - the new Soarin': lots of folks are singing it's praise, but I liked the old one better. This one has sooooo much CGI work in it. Everything is just too perfect. It's very well done, just too much. All in all, I don't know why they are putting Star Wars land at Disneyland. California Adventure needs more to do. Disneyland is already overloaded.

Anyway, that's it. I look forward to my next visit to Disneyland - although I doubt I'll stay on property next time.

Thanks so much for your report! We will be at GC in May. We live in FL and are DVC and go to WDW at least once every 2 months (for at least an overnight stay) so we are fully comfortable there but NO clue re Disneyland and DCA!! I heard that the park entrance from GC should not be used for morning entry bc it is too slow and the other main lines are faster. Did you experience this? Wondering if that is the case with EMH?

Thanks so much for your report! We will be at GC in May. We live in FL and are DVC and go to WDW at least once every 2 months (for at least an overnight stay) so we are fully comfortable there but NO clue re Disneyland and DCA!! I heard that the park entrance from GC should not be used for morning entry bc it is too slow and the other main lines are faster. Did you experience this? Wondering if that is the case with EMH?

There is a fairly large crowd lined up for entry into CA from the GC. It's a very large hotel. ...but the line moves quickly. I think the longest we waited was 10 minutes? ...and it would probably take that long or longer to walk around to the main entry. If you get out and get in line at opening the line is not worth mentioning. The line is there only if you're getting out at, say, 8:30 when the park opened at 8am. ...but both DL and CA were ABSOLUTELY CRAMMED with people ay 11-noon. So that rule still applies. Get all of the heavy traffic attractions done early! We were there from the 1st to the 4th, and I think they were operating at 95% or better each day. Supposedly they closed at capacity on the 4th.

They have a "magic morning" out there - at least that's what I think they called it - instead of EMH. Our ticket said that we got "one" of them to use over our 4 days. ...but we went in early to whichever park was offering the extra hour every day, so I don't understand that at all.

I'm envious of your frequency to WDW. We generally make it down there every 12-18 months. We live near Memphis.

One thing that I forgot to mention above: something to look for is Steve Martin's autographed picture in the Magic Shop on Main Street. The Disneyland Main Street is better than the one at the Magic Kingdom, since more of the original design remains (individual shops with different wares). Steve Martin's first job was working as a clerk/magician in this shop, thus the autographed picture. pixiedust:

Magic Morning is for Disneyland only on specific days. Those are for 3-day or more tickets and you don't have to reside on property.

Extra Magic Hour is for hotel guests. You can have a multi-day ticket or AP or even a one-day ticket. You get to get in early to DCA or DLR (they alternate days)

There is a fairly large crowd lined up for entry into CA from the GC. It's a very large hotel. ...but the line moves quickly. I think the longest we waited was 10 minutes? ...and it would probably take that long or longer to walk around to the main entry. If you get out and get in line at opening the line is not worth mentioning. The line is there only if you're getting out at, say, 8:30 when the park opened at 8am. ...but both DL and CA were ABSOLUTELY CRAMMED with people ay 11-noon. So that rule still applies. Get all of the heavy traffic attractions done early! We were there from the 1st to the 4th, and I think they were operating at 95% or better each day. Supposedly they closed at capacity on the 4th.

They have a "magic morning" out there - at least that's what I think they called it - instead of EMH. Our ticket said that we got "one" of them to use over our 4 days. ...but we went in early to whichever park was offering the extra hour every day, so I don't understand that at all.

I'm envious of your frequency to WDW. We generally make it down there every 12-18 months. We live near Memphis.

One thing that I forgot to mention above: something to look for is Steve Martin's autographed picture in the Magic Shop on Main Street. The Disneyland Main Street is better than the one at the Magic Kingdom, since more of the original design remains (individual shops with different wares). Steve Martin's first job was working as a clerk/magician in this shop, thus the autographed picture. pixiedust:

Very cool re Steve Martin! Thanks for the GC info. We most likely will try the entrance there. We will have a 3 day park hopper. Feel like with only 2 parks and not as big as some at WDW we should be able to make the most of our time there. Sounds like park hopping is much easier there due to location and size v. WDW.

Very cool re Steve Martin! Thanks for the GC info. We most likely will try the entrance there. We will have a 3 day park hopper. Feel like with only 2 parks and not as big as some at WDW we should be able to make the most of our time there. Sounds like park hopping is much easier there due to location and size v. WDW.

Park hopping is absolutely easier - but we never did it! ...despite having paid for hoppers. :headache::mad::crazy2: DON'T MISS the evening show at CA: World of Color. It's great! The best Disney nighttime show I've seen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter