Disney World to Disneyland in the same day.....Would you attempt it?

RDURay20

*Ray Ray*
I know there are a few people who made the Disney World to Disneyland trip on October 1st. It really got me thinking about it! My daughter has Spring Break in April, and we already have a five night stay booked through DVC at Old Key West. I've done some research, and flights from MCO to Orange County, CA are quite reasonable for our dates. The flight arrives around 8:25pm at SNA. Disneyland is open until midnight. Would you attempt it? Is roughly three hours at Disneyland worth the price? We would most likely stay and go to Disneyland/DCA the following day as well. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity! Talk me into it!! Please!

I think it would be closer to 2 1/2 hours at DL that first night. An earlier flight would be ideal.

Moving you to the DL board for DL related opinions. :)

Is it worth it? Probably not. Would I do it? Heck yeah, if the cost doesn't bother you and especially since you'll be there the next day too.

In my very limited experience, cross country flights going west seem to get delayed more than the other direction, I suppose because they're going against the jetstream. If you really touched down at 8:25, I don't think you can realistically plan on getting out of SNA until around 9:00 and later if you have to wait for luggage. Then add in a half hour or so for transportation to the DL gate. Best case I'd think you'd get there around 9:30.

If you're willing to put up with maybe a 2 hour experience (and you'll likely be quite tired unless you sleep on the plane) and not too disappointed if a flight delay kills it, I say go for it!

Is it worth it? Probably not. Would I do it? Heck yeah, if the cost doesn't bother you and especially since you'll be there the next day too.

In my very limited experience, cross country flights going west seem to get delayed more than the other direction, I suppose because they're going against the jetstream.

Agree totally...not worth it but I'd totally do it, just to say that I'd done it. Go for it! And if you're attitude is right - and it sounds like it is - who cares if it's only a couple of hours at DL and added expense? You're doing it to doing it.

(I don't believe that east-to-west flights are delayed more frequently, @richmo, in terms of departing/arriving later than scheduled, but they do go slower because, as you note, of the jet stream.)

I've done it but would it be worth it financially for you? I don't think so but if it's on your bucket list why not go for it. I think I had slight advantage since at the time I was an AP holder for both WDW and DLR and I only live 10-miles from DLR. So after my stay at Bay Lake Tower I did a quick visit to Magic Kingdom but after a short visit I had to leave to catch my flight home. On my drive home I decided to stop by Disneyland just to do it since I was basically there already.

I did it in 1992, just for the experience of having done it. I got up and did one attraction each at the three WDW parks. Then I went to the airport, flew to LAX, was picked up and driven to Disneyland, where I did the same three attractions again. (Admittedly, I mostly slept through Captain Eo.)

Love this idea! I would totally do it!

I fly to and from WDW a few times a year and have experienced more delays heading east rather than on the return flights. Which airline will you be using?

My CM friend has been sent from WDW to CA for events so after beginning her day at WDW, we once picked her up at LAX, had a quick stop at In 'n Out (a must do), and then on to the parks! DTD will be open for a bit after DL closes.

I say go for it and book your DL room at Grand Californian! Happy planning!

The key is to pick one or two attractions in each coast for that day and have that focus. So TOT (not relevant soon but oh well) or POTC or HM etc.

Not sure why DL thoughts are more relevant than WDW thoughts; post should be on both sides. If I recall the main discussion of such things before was on the WDW page. lurkyloo did it once though, if I recall.

This may come off as harsh, but that's not my intent...

I don't see the point. No, doesn't sound like fun at all. I want time to enjoy the parks when I'm there, not "check the box" on some arbitrary challenge. Actually it's not really even a challenge. It's easily do-able. Just doesn't sound like any fun to me.

I'm also one of those people who don't care for when folks run/walk a half marathon or marathon just so they can put the 13.1 or 26.2 sticker in their back window of their car. It's a pet peeve of mine. Could I do it? Yup. Do I need to broadcast my achievements to everyone else? Nope.

Sheesh, I must have rolled off the wrong side of the bed this morning. :crazy2::crazy::headache::scared::)

Dan

Last edited:
I know there are a few people who made the Disney World to Disneyland trip on October 1st. It really got me thinking about it! My daughter has Spring Break in April, and we already have a five night stay booked through DVC at Old Key West. I've done some research, and flights from MCO to Orange County, CA are quite reasonable for our dates. The flight arrives around 8:25pm at SNA. Disneyland is open until midnight. Would you attempt it? Is roughly three hours at Disneyland worth the price? We would most likely stay and go to Disneyland/DCA the following day as well. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity! Talk me into it!! Please!

If you and your daughter are up for the adventure, I would say go for it! Sounds like it would be a fun day to me! You will, perhaps, get to sleep on the plane so when you get to CA, you will be all ready to go.

As an aside, I recall reading a post (possibly here but this was several years ago) from a guy who'd achieved this. He had a FP from DW BTMRR. He rode BTMRR that same night at DL. He showed it to the CM, who got a kick out of it.

Speaking of FPs, a CM told me recently that someone tried to use a ten-year-old FP on Buzz Lightyear. They day and date were correct (for example, Saturday, October 8) but the year was off by ten! Some people will try anything :-).

As an aside, I recall reading a post (possibly here but this was several years ago) from a guy who'd achieved this. He had a FP from DW BTMRR. He rode BTMRR that same night at DL. He showed it to the CM, who got a kick out of it.

Speaking of FPs, a CM told me recently that someone tried to use a ten-year-old FP on Buzz Lightyear. They day and date were correct (for example, Saturday, October 8) but the year was off by ten! Some people will try anything :-).

I'd almost be tempted to let the guy do it, for sheer chutzpah of trying to use a 10 year old FP. That's hilarious

I've done it. It's incredibly fun, but remember to pack your patience because it's a LONG day. We did it before FP's were discontinued at MK so we got a FP from both Space Mountains. And we got a "We're Celebrating" button from both parks too.

It sounds like something that would be worth doing just for the fun of it. You won't have enough time in DL and you'd really need that extra day (or more).

Thanks for the input! I'm a WDW Passholder, so the only ticket cost would be a 2-day Disneyland ticket + Airfare. I have family in the Anaheim area, so no hotel needed. It's easily doable for around $1,500.

If you have a special love of the Disney theme parks and this is a bucket list type thing for you then I would say go for it! If it's just kinda intriguing, you're on the fence, I'd spend the money on jazzing up and extending the WDW trip. Do a tour or dining experience or spa day, etc. with your daughter. Another way to look at it- are you gonna regret not taking this opportunity? Life is too short for regrets when you have the time & the budget to try something.

Thanks for the input! I'm a WDW Passholder, so the only ticket cost would be a 2-day Disneyland ticket + Airfare. I have family in the Anaheim area, so no hotel needed. It's easily doable for around $1,500.
With this info I say absolutely!

It would be awesome. You could take a photo in front of one key element in each park. Castle etc... Or ride a ride

If it means that much to you then go ahead. Me? Eh, I wouldn't be particularly impressed if anyone told me they did that since it's really not that hard to do as long as you have the money to burn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter