Disney World in January, How do you avoid the kids getting sick?

houstinhobby

Earning My Ears
Howdy. I've been to Disney World more times than I can count (grew up in Florida). My wife did not and so now we go about once a year (we live further away now). We have a three year old and a one year old. We've been with the three year old three times now and she has been fine every time.

However, my son has a heart condition. It doesn't make him more susceptible to catching a disease, but it makes the consequences of him catching a disease drastically worse. We have a trip planned in January of 2017 (I'm running the marathon, wife is doing the 5k). Given the time of year: Cold, Flu, and (most dangerous to us) RSV season, we are trying to determine if my son should even leave the hotel room and go to the parks or if anyone has any tips on keeping him safe during the trip. Personally I've never gotten sick at Disney World, nor has my wife, nor has our daughter, but when you have a heart baby you're need for precautions goes through the roof. So I figured I would ask.

Thanks for the help!

I think the safest thing would be to ask your doctor. I don't know if there are any safe immune system boosters for an infant.
My tips in general:
Keep babies from mouthing everything in sight.(good luck with that)
Wash his hands frequently. Wash your hands frequently.
Don't let the older one touch the younger one. Preschoolers are the best ever germ sharers.
Keep the baby in his carrier, sling, or stroller to shield him from other people touching or sneezing on him.
Use hand sanitizer with baby wipes to wipe down surfaces.
If this applies, nurse as much as possible.

I haven't had any problems with my son getting sick at Disney. I think he's exposed to so much at school that all his antibodies are on full alert & ready to protect him.

I'm the one that sometimes ends up sick as a dog. At least it normally holds off until I'm on my way home.

But for your situation, I think constant hand washing/sanitizing would be key.

Typically when on vacation I let the schedule/routine go a bit but in your case I think my key would be sticking to the normal routine as much as possible. Regular sleeping and eating are soo important for the immune system that I would try my hardest to keep those things as close to regular schedule as I could. Talk to the doc and see what suggestion they give and maybe even ask about vitamins if he doesn't already take something?? That along with the hand washing, limiting touching as much as possible would be my focus areas. I hope you all have a fabulous, healthy vacation!

I would use wipes on anything he can touch. If you are flying, pay close attention to the seat belt buckle, tray, etc. Make friends with your dentist. They have a really good wipe that is used in the office.

Do the same in the room. I immediately place the remote right into a plastic bag. If you use a disinfectant spray, remember that it needs to stay on the surface for a period of time.

In the parks, try to keep him from touching every handrail, and no playing with the interactive queue things. If he needs to hold the handlebars, try to wipe them first. Washin ghands and keeping them away from his face is a priority I think.

My DR said that the mist from a sneeze can stay in the air for 15 minutes or so, keep that in mind.

Talk to your Dr.
Good Luck!!!

Just as an FYI, you can ask for a special deep cleaning of your room before you check in. I don't know all the details bit it might be worth checking out.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Definitely some stuff I had not considered, especially about the hotel room.

His Cardiologist said the trip would be fine, his G.I. doc wasn't as thrilled. We will see what his pediatrician says today.

Thank you all again!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Definitely some stuff I had not considered, especially about the hotel room.

His Cardiologist said the trip would be fine, his G.I. doc wasn't as thrilled. We will see what his pediatrician says today.

Thank you all again!

Make sure he is up to date on his shots, assuming you vax, but obviously I don't know that.

I agree with keeping him in a carrier the most that you can.

I'm sure he will be fine.

As a mom to two heart babies, I understand. I am constantly pushing Clorox wipes on school teachers right now, and I hate cold and flu season cause it is different for us! One has been to Disney four times and one is going for the first time the day after Christmas this year. Our cardiologist encourages us to go ahead and go. Yes I research nearest children's hospital and lots of other just in case details for the area we are traveling. But we do go and we fly there. We have hand sanitizer and wipes everywhere. Watch out for all those germy hand rails. My girls hang all over those in line and on buses, and I am constantly giving the evil mommy stink eye to them to let it go pirate:. Your doctors should steer you in the right direction. Just be vigilant. And make sure that you wash your hands super often as you are handling everything given to him. Oh and leave all your shoes at the door and don't track thru the room. But remember have fun! Have a great trip!

I've always been more concerned with my kids catching something right before the trip or on the flight down than at Disney. I don't know if that is justified, but I've felt like at home in the cold weather they are in conditions more indicative of catching something (inside a ton) than in Florida when we are in the open air more often.

If you tour with him, perhaps shy away from the indoor shows where they pack you in like sardines before entering the theatre. That could be a place more susceptible to catching something. Plus, you can't bring a stroller in and "shield" him.

But, I agree with the PP. I don't think you are at more risk down in Disney than doing normal activities around kids at home. I've never been with a one year old, but it seems you'd have more control as he'd be in a stroller a lot and you can avoid touching handrails and the like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter