Disney will post Alligator warning signs and fences

The article does state that this is temporary until they come up with a more permanent solution:

"We are installing signage and temporary barriers at our resort beach locations and are working on permanent, long-term solutions at our beaches," Jacquee Wahler, vice president of Walt Disney World Resort said.

I like the idea of LARGE rocks or small boulders (although, rocks just scream "Climb me!" to little boys!). It would be a lot more obvious when someone was out-of-bounds.

Only if the family agrees to a settlement.

Given the mixed sentiments on this forum of who's to "blame," I wouldn't want to go to court. Also, given how this family has remained out of the spotlight, my guess is that they won't want to make a spectacle of all this.

The article does state that this is temporary until they come up with a more permanent solution:

"We are installing signage and temporary barriers at our resort beach locations and are working on permanent, long-term solutions at our beaches," Jacquee Wahler, vice president of Walt Disney World Resort said.

I like the idea of LARGE rocks or small boulders (although, rocks just scream "Climb me!" to little boys!). It would be a lot more obvious when someone was out-of-bounds.
The problem with rocks would be snakes. You've got a lot of snakes that like water in the south. I could see that ending poorly, too. Not as bad as this, but not well. Also, the climbing would be an issue.

Given the mixed sentiments on this forum of who's to "blame," I wouldn't want to go to court. Also, given how this family has remained out of the spotlight, my guess is that they won't want to make a spectacle of all this.

Exactly. When cases go to civil court one side isn't always assigned 100% blame. The McDonald's coffee case- in the end I believe the woman was assigned 20% blame since she was the one handling the coffee when it spilled. I couldn't handle going to court and having a jury say I had any blame in my child's death.

Only partway through this thread, but I think this is great. Of course it won't keep the gators out, but it will be a visual barrier that should clearly tell people to stay out of the water. And it's not obtrusive, it doesn't detract from the scenery, it blends well into the theme and beach feel. Well done Disney for getting on top of this so quickly and doing something proactive whether others felt it was needed or not.

CNN just did a piece with past guest claiming to have close calls with gators and a lawyer that said Disney will probably face multiple lawsuits. Here we go........

Although we have been to Disney many times, we have never stayed at a resort that has the beach. I am really shocked that they did not have signs warning about alligators. Where we live in North Carolina does have some alligators, and there are signs at the parks near water that warn of alligators. For some reason, I would never have been worried about alligators at the waters edge on the beach. I guess I just think of alligators as lurking around by plant life and other semi-hiding spots. If I saw a no swimming sign, I would assume it was because of not having life guards and not wanting liability for drowning. They have the boat show at night that encourages people to stand somewhat near the water on the beach watching and the beaches offer views of fireworks at night. If an alligator is coming so far up the beach to get a toddler in 6 inches of water, a few feet back from the water's edge isn't that much safer. They didn't warn about that danger. As for Disney not encouraging kids to play on the beach - Caribbean Beach Resort has playgrounds on the beach. Beaches that have hammocks, chairs, volleyball nets, and movies give the impression of safety. I'm sure that Disney believed the risk of this happening was low, but they really need to take steps to ensure all guests are aware of the dangers. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that family is experiencing.

Although we have been to Disney many times, we have never stayed at a resort that has the beach. I am really shocked that they did not have signs warning about alligators. Where we live in North Carolina does have some alligators, and there are signs at the parks near water that warn of alligators. For some reason, I would never have been worried about alligators at the waters edge on the beach. I guess I just think of alligators as lurking around by plant life and other semi-hiding spots. If I saw a no swimming sign, I would assume it was because of not having life guards and not wanting liability for drowning. They have the boat show at night that encourages people to stand somewhat near the water on the beach watching and the beaches offer views of fireworks at night. If an alligator is coming so far up the beach to get a toddler in 6 inches of water, a few feet back from the water's edge isn't that much safer. They didn't warn about that danger. As for Disney not encouraging kids to play on the beach - Caribbean Beach Resort has playgrounds on the beach. Beaches that have hammocks, chairs, volleyball nets, and movies give the impression of safety. I'm sure that Disney believed the risk of this happening was low, but they really need to take steps to ensure all guests are aware of the dangers. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that family is experiencing.

I agree. People are posting their pictures online showing how many people actually went into that lagoon. Was obviously not discouraged with dangers made aware. Look how many kids were in the lagoon. image.jpeg

You know I've only seen the netting on The Tree of Life and even that was just a plain walk-by when I was in line for Tough to be a Bug. This'll be interesting to see how these fences turn out. So far they look thematically nice. Although I'm waiting for a gator to crawl over it

I can foresee a settlement. This family clearly has their family and privacy as a top priority. I imagine they would rather not become a legal case spectacle.

Saw a discussion that it is not unheard of to lose in cases of alligator attacks since they are a wild animal, and "not owned by the owners of the property" like a dog would be.

You know I've only seen the netting on The Tree of Life and even that was just a plain walk-by when I was in line for Tough to be a Bug. This'll be interesting to see how these fences turn out. So far they look thematically nice. Although I'm waiting for a gator to crawl over it

The rope fence is temporary while they decide what to do. The fence and any other fence has nothing to do with the gator crawling through as you really can't stop them. The fence with the new signs is to tell the guests to stay out of the water.

BUT I couldn't help but chuckle that it looks like a queue line and screams climb over me. :rolleyes:

It looks like the fences are definitely a people deterrent only. They are posts with rope threaded through them a few feet back from the water's edge. I was fearing a barrier fence. I think the fences might end up attracting children, who would want to play on the ropes. They won't obscure the view that much, either. I think it's a good solution, and it was executed quickly.

BUT I couldn't help but chuckle that it looks like a queue line and screams climb over me. :rolleyes:
It took me a while to understand, and now I'm laughing. Trying to picture all these alligators lined up, waiting

Ok stupid question since my sister asked, is anything going to happen to the portrait in the Haunted Mansion? I know it's a pain to take it out but considering it's still an alligator being portrayed THAT way I'm curious

I suppose Tybee Island near Savannah, GA will be fencing off their beaches.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 61
It took me a while to understand, and now I'm laughing. Trying to picture all these alligators lined up, waiting

Ok stupid question since my sister asked, is anything going to happen to the portrait in the Haunted Mansion? I know it's a pain to take it out but considering it's still an alligator being portrayed THAT way I'm curious

Or the line jumpers climbing over anyway.

I will guess no. I heard they pulled Louis from the castle show but it's brand new and would be getting a lot of attention.

There are alligators/crocodiles in many places throughout property. To pull them all out due to an accident is a bit overboard and bring even more attention to the situation. I think they'll just focus on the shorelines so it's more clear to no go in the water.

It's interesting now reading some of this and there is a convergence of the minds about the following, "People keep breaking the rules/law and Disney doesn't do anything about it." Perhaps the biggest change could be Disney actually enforcing their own rules and the laws that also need monitoring. Forget about John and Tammy and how upset they'll be when you kick them off property. Put it in your materials and actually enforce it. I think people will get the message pretty quickly when it goes public how people are being removed from property/parks. Sure, they'll take a temporary hit but the reality they'll create a better atmosphere for everyone...and if the information given to people mentions "No refunds/no money back" I imagine they'll also still keep a good chunk of change.

This was brought up just last week about line cutters. Disney is clearly no longer giving their front line employees as much authority to break script and it's showing up in less "magic" and also less proper enforcement of rules....

If only they could put some of that expediency behind attractions....

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter