Disney Wedding - Need a sitter

The VWL Five

Disney Nut
Hi,

My sister is getting married at Disney in 2004. We have 3 kids. At the time of the wedding the kids will be 5 almost 4 and almost 3.

Question - Has anyone used any of the in-room baby sitting services? If so, which service? Can you tell me how your experience was? Good or bad.

We'd like to send the kids back to the room after the wedding for a few hours so we can spend some more time celebrating with the bride and groom

Thanks for the help.

personally, i would never trust a complete stranger to watch my kids...i don't care how many references i had.

Baloo, I don't believe the OP was exactly looking for that upsetting remark when she posted this question.

I have a 2 yo and would be hesitant to let a "stranger" sit my children, however there are many very reputable companies such as "Fairy Godmothers" who I hear provide wonderful services and have excellent references.

I've rarely been to a wedding where three kids under 5 are allowed so I think the OP is trying to make the best out of the situation.

not trying to upset, just trying to give a word of warning. I haven't been to a wedding that doesn't allow well-behaved children. an ounce of prevention.....

I don't know if weddings are different in the States, but my dd has been to quite a few here, and has always had a great time - it is however pretty common for children to be invited to weddings in the UK.

My inclination would be to take them to the wedding with me, and let them stay up late - how often does their Aunty get married? I bet they will remember the experience for many years to come, I know my dd can remember my brothers wedding very well, she was 3 at the time.

Of course it depends on your sister, she may not want children at the reception?

if you are after a babysitter, than i have heard good things about Fairy Godmothers, but I haven't used them personally.

Bev

Are there other children involved as well? Perhaps you could go together and take along a well trusted sitter that one family has at home. That would be fun for all children, less stressful for the parents than using a sitter they don't know, and a great trip for some lucky person. That would involve more money but might be worth it. Another option might be to see if there is an extra room at the reception area where a mini child care station could be sit up for any children that tire out at the reception. Even if you needed to hire a local person to wacth the children, at least they would be right next door to the adults. As I understood it the children are going to the wedding, the OP is just concerned about the reception with three young children. I too understand that a long reception could be tough to deal with with three small kids. While I am with baloo on the idea of using a stranger, even from a well trusted agency, to watch my child, there are many who are comfortable with that situation and I am sure that they can give you the information on the sitting services. Just don't forget to be creative and then do what you feel is right in your heart.

Jordan's mom

I think the OP wants to spend some "adult" time with her DH and family at the wedding reception. I think everyone who has small children can appreciate the fact that she'd like a few hours without running after 3 kids under 5 at a wedding. My DS is 2 and he acts like 2. If I had him out until 9 pm at a wedding he'd be tired, cranky and probably cause a scene and i'd be miserable. This way, the kids can relax and play with an in-house babysitter, while the parents have a few hours to spend together. This is a huge reason companies like "Fairy Godmothers" are in business.

I'm from NJ and weddings here may be different than elsewhere, however I wouldn't bring 3 kids under 5 to a reception. To the wedding, yes, reception, no. Who wants to be at a formal wedding in disney chasing around after kids...besides, some brides don't want to be outstaged by cute kids.

Hillbeans seemed to catch what I was aiming for......must be a Jersey thing.......

Yes I'm aware that a stranger would be watching my kids....yes i'm not fond of that. I wanted to know who has experienced a sitter first hand....not that I shouldn't allow strangers to watch my kids........

Anyway the kids are part of the ceremony and yes we really don't want to chase them at the reception but they are invited and we may let them stay to enjoy with the family.

We did want some private time with the wedding party after the reception which got my thinking about the sitter idea. We'd LOVE to have someone come with us to watch the kids but the cost is a factor plus school is not out in March so our nieces or nephews couldn't be the sitter. Having a hard time finding someone else so I wanted a backup idea/plan.

For those who can speak to the Disney sitter idea, drop a note here. Just wondering those sitter experiences at Disney

Thanks all.

Depending on where the wedding reception is being held, and how many families are attending, would it be possible to arrange a "children's room?"

I did that for my wedding reception, as it was held in a historic building that did not allow children under 12. One relative lived nearby, and was willing to lend her big basement rec room. We hired several sitters to supervise the small children at her home. They played games, ate some snacks, watched Disney movies, and snuggled down in sleeping bags until their parents were ready to claim them. In our case, we paid for the sitters as a favor to our guests.

I'm betting that Disney's wedding planners could set up a location near the reception room, where several children could share a sitter. It would not be inexpensive, I'm sure, but it might be a solution, and if there were enough interested parents, the individual cost might be lessened.

We used kindercare for our children several times. The first time my son was 10 months old. we continued to use them until my dd was 4yrs and could go to the group babysitting. We had several wonderful sitters (one for two years in a row). One sitter even took my crying dd (her brother and friends went to the neverland club and she wasn't old enough) to the gift shop and a cast member gave her a stuffed animal for free. I don't know if this company is still the Disney reccommed company but I would call either Kindercare or what ever the current company is. They were wonderful!
PS they give you a beeper so if they need you they can get you.:smooth:

Wasn't it at the Kindercare (although it might have been a different chain)near WDW that a child died 4 or 5 yrs ago from abuse? The parents left the kid for a few hours for an adult meal. Came back and was told the child was asleep. Turned out the child was dead (shaken baby syndrome I think). It was all over the news, and 20/20 or Primetime did an in-depth story on it. I'm sorry but I have to agree with baloo722, I don't leave my kids with strangers.
I love NotUrsula's idea. Maybe thre is an older teen niece nephew or cousin that would rather earn a few $$ than to stay for the reception.

We have used Fairy Godmothers on several occasions. They were, without exception, professional, prepared and marvelous.

We have also used the "kids club" at the Poly, Wilderness lodge & Beach Club. OK also, but more chaotic.

I can understand the concerns voiced by others on this post, but we have never had any difficulties. Just do some research and make the choice oyu feel most comfortable with.

I've never used the in room babysitting but I have some moderator friends that have and have NEVER heard anything bad about them.

My boys have been to the Sandcastle Club and Camp Dolphin and LOVED them both.

They're your kids YOU do what feels COMFORTABLE to YOU!!!!

If there are other kids, maybe you can work out to share kid-care for the reception... I know when we planned our wedding we were told of the option to have child care offered to our guests. We didn't need it - the youngest guest was 15. Maybe you can work something out through the wedding coordinator, sometimes those services are less expensive than the alternatives (in room care, etc.) especially if there are more than just your kids.

I've never heard anything bad about Fairy Godmothers, in many years of lurking and posting.

Depending on where the reception is there may be a kids club on site that you can take advantage of (most Deluxe resorts have one) and then you can play it by ear, see how the kids are doing and head over there if you need to? I'm not sure what type of reservation they may require, if any.

We have used Fairy Godmother 3 times in the past year and a half. Never a problem. Matter of fact, our DD never even noticed we were leaving as she was busy playing with the sitter and DD was always asleep when we returned. Both sitters we had looked like my mother and were very pleasant.

Denise

We used Kids Night Out on our last family trip to WDW and everything went fine. We'll probably use Fairy Godmother's on our next trip, IF we decide we want dinner or an evening out alone, simply because I have heard SO many fantastic reports about them on this board. :)

Who is officiating at her wedding?? If it is Rev Tim Herring his wife does sitting for children. If my Inlaws hadnt come up for our vow renewal we would have used her or someone that he recommended. Having dealt a lot with Rev Herring I would have trusted who he recommended.

Hello-

We've used Fairy Godmother's on two previous trips for our son who was 2 (first trip) then 4 this past trip; both were excellent experiences.

We had Vera Kennedy first trip and Barbara Torten (I think that is her how you spell her last name name) 2 times on the most recent trip.

Fairy Godmothers has an excellent reputation and I felt very safe and confident with both of the sitters.

jan

This will be my last comment on this issue, promise! ;)

I know the issue of getting a teenage sitter and bringing them to an extra room at the reception was mentioned, however I just don't see that as the best option. Wouldn't it be better to have an in-room sitter from Fairy Godmothers who is trained in CPR watch your children, bring games, and put them to bed at a decent hour?

I couldn't imagine the OP lugging 3 sleeping children out of a reception hall, into a cab, back to the hotel, etc.

Anyway, whatever you choose, good luck. I hope you have a magical Disney vacation.

I also used Fairy Godmothers with my DD, once at 4 months of age and again at 2 years old ... both times to enjoy an adults only dinner at Victoria and Albert's. The sitters were great and I would not hesitate to use them again, although in-room baby sitting is very expensive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter