• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney "Traditions"

TinkerBelle_325

DIS Veteran
I am a sucker for traditions :) We have certain things that we do every time we go to Disney.

Here are some of the things I love

Riding the monorail at the Orlando Airport, hehe same voice, gets me preped for Disney

Going through the gates at yelling "We're Here!!!!!"

Driving up to Coronado Springs

The "Disney smell" in the lobby

Turning on the Disney TV Station when I get into the room
I need my "Zip a dee doo da, tip for today!!"

We always go to Downtown Disney on our first night and eat at Wolfgang Puck Cafe

I need to go to the World of Disney! Another first night tradition!

We always go to MK as our first park and I LOVE the monorail, I have a particular fondness of the Pink, Blue and Silver ones

We also always go to Epcot our first night (we go to Epcot practically EVERY night hehe :)

We always eat at Columbia Harbour House, the Land, Flame Tree BBQ

The first ride of the Day at....
Epcot = Spaceship Earth
MGM = Tower of Terror
MK = Splash Mountain
AK = Kilamanjaro Safaris

We ALWAYS go to Typhoon Lagoon and one of these days (summer 2004 college progran hopefully) I'll be a lifeguard there
OR I'd love to be a bellhop and ToT or a Maid at the Haunted Mansion, or a guide at Kilamanjaro Safaris, or or or lol I just wanna be a Cast Member

Anyways, please tell me all about your traditions :)

Here are some things we look forward to on every trip -

-Beaver Tails at Epcot

-Dinner at Spoodles

-Shopping at the huge department store in Japan at Epcot

-Mini Golf tournament (We are mini golf freaks and we usually plays lots of courses - Winter/Summerland, Fantasia Gardens, Pirate's Cove, Congo River, River Adventure. This year we are going to add in the new Tiki Island!)

-Stopping in the candy shop on Main Street to stock up on goodies on our way out of the park at night. My husband is addicted to those Strawberry Sour Straws!

-Singing along with the Splash Mountain sound track and waving our arms over our heads (like that chicken with the tambourine) when we get into the room with the big riverboat. (I can't believe I actually told you that.)

-Following along with the soundtracks to the rides and attractions and saying some of our favorite lines outloud with them. For instance:

"The Yi People - China's most colorful minority."

"The deluge."

"Hold onto your hats and glasses . . . because this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

"The Theater is born."

"Across a lonely, hostile planet . . ."

"You are not the first to pass this way."

"Norway - Her spirit lives in her people."

"Dead men tell no tales"

"We want the redhead!"

And, of course, "Please stand clear of the doors." - which we say in English and in Spanish, even though I can't figure out how to write it in Spanish! My DH and I are thinking of taking a trip to Mexico this summer and we keep laughing that the only thing we will be able to say in Spanish is "Please stand clear of the doors!"

One of my newest traditions is to walk into Pooh Corner to smell the honey in the air :-)

The World of Disney on our first night - then I know I am there!

A Beavertail from Canada and an Ice Cream Cone from France

A Dole Whip from the Magic Kingdom...yum

Watching the Disney info on the tv in our resort room

I love the smell in each theme park - to me, it just smells like Disney;)

We also yell and cheer when we enter the Disney gates. At MK we head for Dumbo, and at Epcot it's Spaceship Earth and Test Track. We eat lunch at Garden Grill. We get pictures of the kids with Cinderella. I have to ride Pirates, and the kids have to have Mickey ice cream bars.

My biggest tradition is: Epcot is the first park that I will go to, and I will go out of my way to make sure that Spaceship Earth
is the very first attraction of my vacation.

Second tradition: Beaver tails at Epcot - Canada

Oh, there are many more "traditions" but those are the two biggies.

- My oldest daughter and I always listen to our Disney CD's on the plane

-Checking into our resort and finding out we did get the view,room and/or special requests we asked for. Doing the happy dance if we did

-Riding the monorail..Please stand clear of the doors....love that

-Walking through the main gates and seeing the Castle for the first time

-Seeing the statue of Walt holding Mickey's hand always brings a tear to my eye

-We always have dinner at Chef Mickey's first night. The kids and I need our Mickey fix!

-Going to bed early so we can rest up for our first full day at the parks

-Not being able to stop smiling all the time because we're back at Dsiney..feels so much like we've come home again.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

we always go to magic kingdom first just in case mickey didn't know we arrived.
at the end of every trip we take a picture at the exit of magic kingdom and my girls hold up a sign that says "see ya real soon" ( the original sign that used to be there is long gone.

I like this thread, being we have a few traditions ourselves

We always go to Blizzard Beach, no if's ands or but's

Chef Mickey's is a must

Sitting in front of the monorail for the first time on that trip

Doing at least one E-Night

I refuse to ride whinne the pooh...I'm a toad lover, so while my family goes on, I talk with the CM's

We have a few more, but this is all I can think of now

Lexi

Always eat at 50's Prime Time Cafe (unless being refurbished like last trip :( )

Always get cookies from the Main St bake shop

Always get misty over seeing Cinderella's Castle for the first time of the trip (not really a tradition but always happens)

Always get that "feeling" as soon as I land at MCO
(again not tradition, just happens ;) )

Always wave "Hi" in the mirror with the hitch hiking ghosts at Haunted Mansion

this is a great thread!!

gosh...traditions?

i always have to have fish and chips from the UK
always have to have a baked potato from the sunshine season food fair
always have to hit DD and the world of disney store my first day
getting that magical feeling when i land in MCO (i'm with you WDWAlways!!)
riding the monorail right away and giggling when he says "please stand clear of the doors" in spanish
head straight to fantasy land as soon as the park opens
have a frozen banana at AK
can't forget the mickey bars!!
shopping in the big store in japan

geez...i could go on and on!!

My traditions:

1. The first bus ride from your resort to any of the parks is always so magical.
2. Always have Tonga Toast at the Kona Cafe
3. Always sit right in front of the bakery for Magic Kingdon parages (afternoon and evening)
4. First thing I do when I check in to resort is turn on the WDW tv channel to see what is going on.
5. Shopping at World of Disney and getting Ghiardelli's Hot chocolate
6. Always take a picture of Cinderella's castle (even though I have so many)
7. Last ride of the trip has to be Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

8. Lastly- everything we do is so magical at WDW that every trip we make new traditions and relive old ones.

I don't have that many traditions yet; only gone 3 times but here's a couple...

We always have to go to MK first!
Always take a picture in front of the Castle and the statues.
Always take a picture of our two DD's in Minnie's chair in her house.

MK: head to fantasyland
MGM: head to RnR; ToT
Epcot: Test Track

BUT I mostly have a couple of questions for you: What are Beavertails??? and tell me more about the big store in Japan, please!!! I wouldn't mind a good description of Dole Whip too!?:confused:

beattyfamily...
the big store in japan has everything imaginable from japan!! clothing (kimonos), jewelry, pearls, candy, dishes, you name it, they probably have it!

i haven't tried the beaver tails yet, but i will next month!
nor have i tried a dole whip, but that will be covered next month too!

I have to qoute everything from the Haunted Mansion and the Tower of Terror or it doesn't feel right..LOL! I get a lot of looks from people at teh foyer in the Haunted Mansion!:cool:

Go to Hoop Dee Doo Review the evening of the first day we arrive.On our December trip(s) we always go to MVMCP and do a Candlelight Processional Dinner Package.It has become a Christmas tradition for us to go to WDW first part of December each year since 1992.We just love the decorations and all the holiday doings.:wave2:

we usually arrive by train, so after a long ride - when I see the 1st Disney Bus i start laughing and we all say "were finally here" . we usually check in, shower , eat or swim and then head to downtown . we dont stay up to late cause it was a LONG ride to get there. our first day MK......we all love the sight of the castle... it just makes the whole day..... then of courst i have to ride splash mountain. ........... . we have stayed at the as music and movies the last few years, so they REALLY feel like home...lol.

My family's traditions:

1. Riding in the front car of the monorail and getting a picture of this.

2. Eating breakfast at Chef Mickey's

3. Getting a photo from one of the rides

4. Doing an E-night.....maybe two!:smooth:

How's this for a tradition? I always make it a tradition (if you call it that) to stop in the same ladies' room when I get off the airplane in Orlando. That gives me a little less time to wait for my luggage, then I can go right on to get to WDW as quickly as possible without any unscheduled "pit stops". It was sort of strange when I realized recently that it's always a habit of mine to stop in that same ladies' room as soon as I get off the plane!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter