Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention the wdwinfo article. For a website that doesn't allow discussion of so-called "loopholes", that article is a veritable how-to guide for booking FPs early. And given that most of us think (conjecture, but I agree with it) that the "leading reservation" "loophole" isn't getting fixed with any immediate changes... seems like WDWInfo told people how to "cheat" the system....

Yup! If you read through the comments on that story there’s some guy (won’t name names!) who actually says he’s going to use these tricks on his next trip. It sounded like without the article he wouldn’t have even known how to do it.

I've been away for a while, but since my idiotic scare last night with "lost" FP's, I've been trying to catch up. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge regarding the throwaway room loophole. I'm surprised that Disney still allows this. But, maybe this potential rumor is an attempt to stop it? Would make sense...

Also, curiosity is getting the best of me, but bumbershoot, what is your point to all of the below, with regards to this room cancellation/lost FP rumor (you kind of lost me about half way thru :confused3)?

Starting with this.

Some of us are just now seeing this. Just bc you’ve been here reading for days doesn’t mean others have.

A poster has said many times that this thread is not about throwaway rooms. However, this is in the OP:

Therefore, it opens the door to the discussion.

As far as I know a “throwaway room” is one you book, pay for, but you are staying elsewhere. You’re “throwing away” the money for it bc of some perks you want. People do it at universal to get perks. People do it in on Nassau to get access to Atlantis.

A *cancelled* room isn’t a throwaway.

A canceled room isn’t a throwaway.

Disagree with that for camping in general, and while I haven’t camped at Disney I can’t imagine it’s any better there to have neighbors.

What does an emotional support animal have to do with anything?

Disney maids do not expect tips, because their contract is for an untipped position. I do tip them, but I’m sure they don’t expect it from any of us.

And if they aren’t having to do the work, they aren’t *missing* tips. They can move on and help someone else.

Exactly.

Disney’s hotel day switches over at 6am. They can’t rebook a room for the day before at that point.

And they have online checkin. All of the rules at an old fashioned hotel with a time that Reception closes is moot.

Not considerate of whom?

Just bc stores charge that much doesn’t mean it cost Disney that much.

I don’t. I leave all the time.

How does one prove this enough to eliminate it?

And why does sleeping in a bed make the person take advantage even more?

What if there was an emergency and the person spent the night in the ER? Did their day until illness or injury hit not count as taking advantage of the room?

They are absolutely collecting the money for the stay. That’s how throwaways work.

Hurts those who might want the one night.

But don’t you think they are already doing that? I’ve seen posts about it for other resorts.

You initially said you couldn’t book the one day.

But you actually literally could.

What you couldn’t do is add the night directly to your reservation. And that’s been going on for over a year at least. The cancel-rebook thing is absolutely what’s going on now.

But you got it done exactly as it is now done.

I bet someone will book those days.

I’m a true camper, though not recently and not at Disney, and I’ve done one night stays.

Lol. And what if the people who want to have a short stay?

Plus, if people are willing to pay that for one night at Uni for two days of perks and they have to pay to park anyway, now you’re saying “you get four days of perks and, apparently, parking” for that amount...this isn’t a hardship, IF you value FPs. (I’m too used to express pass and don’t care overly much about FP+s)

It’s rebooked as they cancel it. It’s inside the two days.

In case you aren’t already, be sure to check for rooms on your own. The wait list is imperfect.

Packages are paid at 45 days, I believe, and room only is fully cancelable 5 days out. Not sure what else the 30 days might be.

Aren’t they basically the same?

I wouldn’t worry about this personally.

Exactly. When I would check for campsites I never saw time that weren’t available.

That’s convoluted.

And canceling a room makes it “not a throwaway”. If you’d kept it and paid for it then it’s simply paying for services rendered. Instead you got the advantages for free.

And that is what will be stopped, because when you canceled the room it would now cancel the FP+s you made for that time period.

Can’t decide if that makes no sense since Disney “just” extended the window to DS hotels, or if it’s perfectly in line with how they expand things (like advertising to upgrade to APs) then freak out when people do the thing they advertised.

Why would you think that? Why else would someone want a band, really? And why would charges be minimal?

Disney used to pride itself on a LOT that it has left by the wayside in the last few years.

Yep.

The purpose is to save money.

Canceling and rebooking rooms isn’t a hassle. It’s quite easy.

They’ve already had that.

Yep.

You *could* book earlier and maybe see some savings from doing that.

It’s really not that hard to reschedule a vacation. And if you book with aoithwest airlines you can change the flights with no fee, too.

So it’s just not something you want to do.

But if you’re booking southwest or Alaska, do check prices. Both allow you to rebook the same flight and get a credit with no fee if the price goes down.

Just before we bought DVC that’s how you booked.

Eh. Big difference once you’re there.

Given that the drop down for arrival estimate goes until something like 5:30am the date after your room night starts, canceling it at that point isn’t going to harm much.

At what point would they decide to let you know you had to check in at the desk?

Probably 6am the following morning.

I think you said you travel solo. That’s a lot easier than doing things en masse.

Oh I bet they kinda do.

Agreed.

Room-only, YES. That’s the only way I book and I’ve seen it.

Less than 30 days out? Not sure.

So the moral of this thread seems to be: fake news, but scampi for everyone!

My serious recap:

There was a rumor. We know nothing else (somehow).
Given the nature of this, it will be a while before we know anything and reports come in.
The rumored changes and lack of information drove us (me included) to make some strange posts.
Now we dine on scampi.

But for reals (again): if this rumor was real, there would be people talking, no? Like travel agents would need to know, etc. No way would we get zero confirmation if this is real.

I have not read through the 25 pages of this thread, but I can report that last week I canceled a legit hotel reservation for next week (SAD!!) and my fast passes were still there tonight. I tried to cancel those last week, but the glitchy wdw website and mde app were making it nearly impossible. Finally got them canceled tonight. Hope someone was able to pick up my FOP, slinky dog and other gems since I won’t be using them.

so was there ever any truth to this rumor? I haven’t seen anything official come out from Disney.
I don't think you'll ever read anything 'official' from Disney on this issue.

(A) They don't want to publicize the fact that visitors used to be able to game the FP system by booking onsite reservations and then cancelling within the 30 day window.
(B) They don't want to draw attention to the idea of gaming the FP system at all. And that FP techniques like 'leading reservations' and 'throwaway rooms' exist and aren't addressed by widening the FP/room cancellation window from 30-60 to 1-60 days.

I think we'll find out about the 'truth' of the rumor when someone who is active on disboards has to cancel their room 1-30 days out for whatever reason and reports that their FPs have disappeared.

No offense, but don't get started on that again, because some of us would like this thread to not get locked again. Please and thank you!

Oh, so you saw it too? I couldn’t remember if this was the thread as I didn’t see any mentions of it when I looked back at previous posts. Thanks for confirming!

How many in this thread acually use this loophole atm? Like many here I didnt even know about it but the risk of losing everything is big enough for me to just book as norm.

The loophole cannot be talked about here, but the Wdwinfo article lays out the loophole pretty clearly.
Yeah - there was a guy named Chester (I remember the name because for some reason I instantly thought of Chester Whipplefilter from Cars 3) who was all like “wow I never thought of doing this...blah blah blah”. (Cars 3...underrated movie too btw.)

At any rate - I think whatever these loopholes are - they’re basically too risky now, hopefully people just stop using them or whatever and I can’t imagine they actually were used widely enough to cause any appreciable difference on FP availability so I wouldn’t expect any improvement there.

Yayyy! This thread is back!

My fastpasses are still intact after cancelling my reservation a few days ago.

It will be interesting to see what others post with their actual experiences in the future.

Sometimes with these types of rumors, I wonder if it’s the Disney police (as I like to call them) that make them up, just to sway people away from taking advantage of these “loopholes.” It seems like they always backfire, as it now makes these sorts of things more public. Take this thread for example...I didn’t realize that you could do this.

Anyway....I have a feeling though that this is going to be one of those rumors that we should put back in the sea or out to pasture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter