Disney Shopping website is absolutely horrible!

Tiger926

DIS Veteran
It's no surprise that any of Disney's websites are horrible - whether it's shopping, videos or DVC Member website, it's all pretty bad, as far as I'm concerned.

You'd think they'd put a little extra effort into their shopping website though as this is free money for them - if the website is easy to navigate with bright colours and such, people will shop from it.

I was going to buy a few things for my kids for our upcoming trip - bathing suits and jammies. I was wanting to take advantage of several promos running this weekend: PJ Pals 2 for 20, 5 shipping @ 89.00 and Memorial Day sale with discounts. Despite fulfilling all conditions, promos don't work properly, website constantly freezes (forget about saving stuff in the shopping bag) and there is no phone number anymore - just an email contact.

I spent much precious time this weekend (time I don't have) trying to get my purchases to work, but due to circumstances beyond my control, that is not possible. So, at this point, Disney has lost at least $100.00 from me. I went on my other computer and did some tests - put individual items in carts, and the 30% discount came up after spending $149.00 (before discount), but once different items are placed in bag, it will only give a 25% discount, despite being at $154.00 in purchases. Plus, it knocks out the reduced shipping promo - very frustrating!!

My DD will be disappointed as she custom designed her swimsuit coverup and picked out several suits, but she'll be fine. We don't much buy Disney clothes anymore as they are very low quality - even the stuff in the parks, which used to be a bit higher quality than the website. I will continue to get all of my kids' clothes at Gymboree - the suits, coverups and jammies are much better quality and with sales, they are close to the same prices too.

I just wanted to warn people, that although the sales look good, their website is not working well, as per usual. I can't imagine what people do with older computers - I have a smoking fast new laptop, and Disney Shopping is causing it problems, so I can't imagine people with slower computers spending hours online in order to buy a $10.00 bathing suit - just not worth it!

Good luck to those of you trying to secure some good deals! Tiger :confused3

there is no phone number anymore - just an email contact.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.
I refuse to correspond by email...here's the # (I've saved it for years...because they don't advertise it much anymore):

1-800-328-0368

Sorry you're having so much trouble.
I refuse to correspond by email...here's the # (I've saved it for years...because they don't advertise it much anymore):

1-800-328-0368

Thanks - I do have the number from my last invoice, but I didn't call as I wasn't sure it would work.

I'm not ordering - they are losing my money as the website is just so simplistic and problematic.

Thanks again, Tiger

I was hoping they would have scrapbooks with the year on i usually buy 4 last year i shipped them as to much luggage.

Hi-
I agree- I just spent almost 4 hours on the site designing some t-shirts for our upcoming family vacation. It took forever and there is a lot of small print to the memorial day promo. The Disney park merchandise is not included and neither is electronics. The electronics threw me as I was buying a new princess CD player as we had a power surge a few weeks ago and it was one of the few casualities. The largest issue I had besides the site being slow ( like 10 years ago dial up) was I went to check out and a D23 membership popped up on my confirmation page. It was not in my basket, so I could not delete it, because you have no way to delete from the confirmation page. I ended up having to back all the way out and redisign each tee. I am highly irritated too. I ended up spending a little over a hundred dollars, but I could have spent alot more without all the drama as I just didn't go find some of the things I had in my basket before the D23 incident. I have never even looked at D23 on the site before, so I don't know how it ended up with me.:scared1:

Hi-
I agree- I just spent almost 4 hours on the site designing some t-shirts for our upcoming family vacation. It took forever and there is a lot of small print to the memorial day promo. The Disney park merchandise is not included and neither is electronics. The electronics threw me as I was buying a new princess CD player as we had a power surge a few weeks ago and it was one of the few casualities. The largest issue I had besides the site being slow ( like 10 years ago dial up) was I went to check out and a D23 membership popped up on my confirmation page. It was not in my basket, so I could not delete it, because you have no way to delete from the confirmation page. I ended up having to back all the way out and redisign each tee. I am highly irritated too. I ended up spending a little over a hundred dollars, but I could have spent alot more without all the drama as I just didn't go find some of the things I had in my basket before the D23 incident. I have never even looked at D23 on the site before, so I don't know how it ended up with me.:scared1:

Sorry to hear that. I hope your shirts are great!

All of my merchandise counts for the promo, it's just that the computer seems to be having difficulty with loading up the 30% discount for over $149.00, as well as the reduced shipping promo.

I was very frustrated, but not much now. The clothes are pretty much bad quality, but for $10.00 bathing suits, I didn't mind. My DD will be fine - I now have to find her a cover up at Gymboree - they are pretty much sold out, and I would have gotten it awhile ago, but I figured we would get some Disney stuff like we always do before each trip.

I really hope your shirts turned out well! Tiger :)

You are not the only one who is frustrated with disney's websites! I had so many problems trying to place my order this past Xmas that I have only bought one thing from their site since then. And that was only because dd wanted a Sleeping Beauty dress for her b-day and I liked the one they had online. Other than that I won't bother, the site is too much of a pain. They closed the Disney Outlet near me too.......maybe they only want me to spend my money at WDW.:confused3

I was hoping they would have scrapbooks with the year on i usually buy 4 last year i shipped them as to much luggage.

They have 2009 and Celebrate Everyday books available through DTD and the parks. You could call and mail order then. The number for mechandise guest services is 407-363-6200.

I agree that Disney shopping is hard to use and navigate. They did a serious site make over a while ago and even though some of it looks cool, it has been a nightmare to use ever since. I bought stuff several times last year but haven't purchased anything in quite a while.

I logged on and had no problem ordering. I got the discounts. You just have to make sure you order the things that are part of the promo.

I logged on and had no problem ordering. I got the discounts. You just have to make sure you order the things that are part of the promo.

Thanks, but as I already stated, everything in my bag was part of the promo. I also mentioned that I conducted a test and put each item separately into its own bag in multiple amounts to reach the discount threshold and it worked. It seemed to be a problem when placing a bunch of different merchandise into my bag - it also knocked out the reduced shipping discount as well.

I'm glad that you got your merchandise. No sweat off of my back as I just saved over $100.00 as I didn't spend it.

I am very computer savvy as I do everything on the computer, and I think that their website is not good at all. I've been on little mom and pop websites that have live chats, discount promos always work, etc. but Disney is trying to save money, as they do with their IT Dept. and it seriously shows. Same goes for DVC Member Site - we have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to join, yet the website is always problematic. I honestly don't understand Disney's reasoning behind a lax IT Dept - it's free advertising and free revenue if you maintain the websites. It's basically free money, if you keep the websites up right. If people can't shop, nor can't book vacations without problems, then that is lost revenue for Disney, plain and simple.

Like I said, they lost over $100.00 from me because of problems on their end, and in today's economy, that shouldn't be acceptable.

Thanks, Tiger

Their website is slow and problematic, but the customer service area was very helpful - to me at least. I had ordered some pajamas for myself and the sizing was off. I ordered what size I wear in every other artical of clothing but the top was too small. So they send me another whole new pair in the next size up without requiring me to return the shirt from the previous pair.

Hi-

I hope your shirts turn out great. You can visit the Creative DISigns board here on the DIS and for FREE someone will DISign (or attempt to!) something for you. You print that out on transfer paper and make it yourself. Huge money saver! :goodvibes

I'm glad that you got your merchandise. No sweat off of my back as I just saved over $100.00 as I didn't spend it.

I am very computer savvy as I do everything on the computer, and I think that their website is not good at all. I've been on little mom and pop websites that have live chats, discount promos always work, etc. but Disney is trying to save money, as they do with their IT Dept. and it seriously shows. Same goes for DVC Member Site - we have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to join, yet the website is always problematic. I honestly don't understand Disney's reasoning behind a lax IT Dept - it's free advertising and free revenue if you maintain the websites. It's basically free money, if you keep the websites up right. If people can't shop, nor can't book vacations without problems, then that is lost revenue for Disney, plain and simple.

Like I said, they lost over $100.00 from me because of problems on their end, and in today's economy, that shouldn't be acceptable.

It sounds like you're really upset by this - as I would be if it happened to me. :hug: Have you called Disney to let them know your concerns with the site or maybe sent an email? I don't think anyone was saying you weren't familiar with the computer or anything like that, just that it had worked for them. I would certainly consider sharing your feelings with Disney directly - maybe they're not aware that there was a problem with the order. :confused3

well....If I'm not mistaken..is that disney official site? why don't try disney unofficial site?

I hope your shirts turn out great. You can visit the Creative DISigns board here on the DIS and for FREE someone will DISign (or attempt to!) something for you. You print that out on transfer paper and make it yourself. Huge money saver! :goodvibes

It sounds like you're really upset by this - as I would be if it happened to me. :hug: Have you called Disney to let them know your concerns with the site or maybe sent an email? I don't think anyone was saying you weren't familiar with the computer or anything like that, just that it had worked for them. I would certainly consider sharing your feelings with Disney directly - maybe they're not aware that there was a problem with the order. :confused3

Honestly, I'm not that upset for me at all, but for all of the other guests who will have problems. This has happened the last several times I have tried to order, so it's an ongoing problem - I have emailed them and called them several times about it, and I'm pretty sure they know the site is problematic. They are probably just hoping it can be a self-serve website - why else stop advertising the 1 800 customer service number? Many people will not email, and so if there is no phone number listed, guests will probably just make do and order anyway.

As I mentioned, I emailed last time, and am in the midst of emailing as we speak, but supper is now ready, so I will finish it later. They should have the phone number in plain sight, but it's not advertised anymore. I found it on an old receipt, and a previous OP gave it to me as well, but I should have been able to contact them immediately by phone. Had I really needed these products, I would have been out of luck, as I wouldn't have purchased them without the proper discounts, as them crediting me wouldn't have worked out as I'm Canadian. This happened last time as a promo discount code didn't work (CM said it happens all of the time and they just credit people after the fact), and when they credited me, I lost money due to exchange issues.

I'm known as a consumer advocate around here - I contact hundreds of companies each year for positive and negative concerns, so been there, done that. The last response was some generic response about them taking my suggestions into consideration, and it included tips for online shopping, but I will still do it. I don't think it will solve anything though as Disney has decided that their IT department is not a high priority.

I'm not expecting much at all as this has been common with many aspects of Disney as of late. We love Disney, but cheapening out on food, online shopping, technology and merchandise is starting to wear thin on us, but on the bright side, we have been saving a ton of money over the past couple of years as we hardly buy any Disney merchandise anymore, whether at parks or online. :thumbsup2

DD wasn't too upset when I told her, so it's all good. Thanks for the suggestions, Tiger :)

I agree the site is a big pain, and very often the discounts don't work even after I've VERY carefully made sure everything applies. Very frustrating. My work computer drags horribly on the site..it's awful..but my home one does OK..still slower than it should be but at least I can actually get through the ordering process. I do sign in when I start shopping so I can go back later and finish up and still have my cart intact. I am disappointed at the quality of alot of things now. They've gone downhill in quality but the prices have gone up. I said these same things in a survey I recently got, so maybe if enough complain things will change.

I'll probably get flamed for this... My theory on why all their websites are so bad is that they pay so poorly that they can't attract good programmers to work for them. I've applied for jobs as a programmer with them, and they always tell me that I'm "too expensive". I happen to know the salary I want isn't unreasonable.

Oh well. I try to avoid their websites as much as possible. And what is up with the blaring music when you enter their site? Bad form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter