Disney Rookie needs advice on resorts for next trip!

GabetrixDisney

Mouseketeer
Hello Dis!

First post. Went to Disney World with my gf in September 2016 and completely fell in love with all things Disney! and I'm already planning my return(Jan 2018)!!

We stayed at POR and it was beautiful. We want to try somthing new though. She wants to consider Coronado Springs but I have seen mixed reviews and I'm not sure that resort is the best choice. I would love to stay at either POFQ or The Contemporary!
Obviously budget is a concern but for me staying at the contemporary would be an absolute honor and worth it in my opinion.
Location is important
Any advice on the resorts I have listed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
My husband and I visited WDW in 2015, second time for myself, first for my husband - we stayed at Coronado Springs...it was great - we had a preferred room which was closer to the lobby and busses, we enjoyed the pool area and the quiet pools. However, we did find the bus system to be a little annoying from this resort.

Our upcoming trip will be spent at AKL because I love it and feel like if I don't stay there when I can I might never get to and then regret it.

When planning budget is the guiding factor. If CR isn't stretching the budget too much, and that is where you really want to stay then do it. If you have to mortgage the house to stay there, then I would say keep with the moderates. :earsboy:

What parks will you be spending the most time at? What is important regarding location? The resort itself, or convenience to parks?

I've stayed all levels at Disney, and have liked all of them, so you really can't go wrong. I will say though that the convenience factor for the MK & EP resorts have been the 'easier' trips. My plans fell together more easily, and not having to factor in that travel time is awesome.

Have fun planning!

Hello Dis!

First post. Went to Disney World with my gf in September 2016 and completely fell in love with all things Disney! and I'm already planning my return(Jan 2018)!!

We stayed at POR and it was beautiful. We want to try somthing new though. She wants to consider Coronado Springs but I have seen mixed reviews and I'm not sure that resort is the best choice. I would love to stay at either POFQ or The Contemporary!
Obviously budget is a concern but for me staying at the contemporary would be an absolute honor and worth it in my opinion.
Location is important
Any advice on the resorts I have listed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

FIrst, look at your budget. I love deluxe resorts and we do choose them on occasion, but not every trip. I refuse to compromise on many other components of the trip for the resort.

The first thing we look at when choosing a resort is how we plan to vacation. If we are going to carve out time for the resort, which we do, we spend more money on lodging. What is yuour plan? Are you going to go rope drop to park close? Or will you relax at the resort and use the amenities?

Where will your trip focus be for the parks? Mostly Epcot? Magic Kingdom?

I have stayed at CSR and the CR. I will say that for a moderate CSR is pretty darn sweet, especially for two adults. It is a business class resort, so I think the amenities lean more towards Deluxe than moderate, IMO. I am going to qualify the rest by stating I did not like the theme, but that was on me. We stayed there on a December trip, and were three women, myself, my DDIL and a friend who joined us for the trip. THe resort was impeccably decorated with stunning understated decorations. It was spotless, and the grounds were meticulously groomed. The room was clean, the beds very comfortable, and once our mousekeeper noticed we used all of the linens, she added more, along with toiletries. We did not need to ask. One thing I liked was the door that was between the "closet/sink" area and the sleeping area. No curtain, but a sliding door. It was a nice addition. There are plenty of dining choices, and a lounge if you want to relax with a cocktail. While we were there the manager seemed to be everywhere. I mean one second she was behind the registration desk, and then when I needed assistance at the concierge counter...she was there. We went outdoors and she was in the valet area. This seemed to be the norm the entire trip, and at all hours, and I noticed that she was not taking over for the CM's, but lending support. SHe as one genuine asset!

The walk through the resort is lovely during the day, and stunning at night.

As to the CR, I am not a fan. We have had two nice trips there but given a choice I wil stay anywhere else. No reason other than I prefer a more relaxed setting.

POFQ is my favorite moderate resort. It is compact, has great transportation options (I love the water taxi) and just small enough for me to feel at home. I have always enjoyed good service and friendly CM's. I woudl still send an adult couple to CSR. This is a resort that really attracts families, so be aware that while EVERY WDW resort is family friendly, some offer a more adult feeling than others. POFQ is really kid friendly, and the pool illustrates that perfectly. It was our resort choice specifically for my DGD when she was younger.

My husband and I visited WDW in 2015, second time for myself, first for my husband - we stayed at Coronado Springs...it was great - we had a preferred room which was closer to the lobby and busses, we enjoyed the pool area and the quiet pools. However, we did find the bus system to be a little annoying from this resort.

Our upcoming trip will be spent at AKL because I love it and feel like if I don't stay there when I can I might never get to and then regret it.

Thanks for the reply. I did hear that about the bus transportation at CSR.

The way you feel about AKL is the way I feel about CR. I have this feeling of just wanting to go for it!

My vote is for the Wilderness Lodge! Along with AKL, it's the cheapest of deluxe hotels. The theming is amazing and the location is great... Just a beautiful boat ride away from MK. The dining choices are great too!

When planning budget is the guiding factor. If CR isn't stretching the budget too much, and that is where you really want to stay then do it. If you have to mortgage the house to stay there, then I would say keep with the moderates. :earsboy:

What parks will you be spending the most time at? What is important regarding location? The resort itself, or convenience to parks?

I've stayed all levels at Disney, and have liked all of them, so you really can't go wrong. I will say though that the convenience factor for the MK & EP resorts have been the 'easier' trips. My plans fell together more easily, and not having to factor in that travel time is awesome.

Have fun planning!

Really appreciate the help! Budget is definitely a factor since we are staying at disneys hilton head over the summer so our vacation fund is taking a financial hit. If we did CR I think a theme park view is out of the question but perhaps a garden wing room if the price was right.

In terms of location, I would like to be close the the Magic Kingdom since we will most likely be spending an entire day specifically there. We plan on visiting all the parks though. I enjoy the boat ride to Disney springs that The Port Orleans resorts have. As long as transportations easy and practical. I would just like to have easy access to a park if it's possible.

I'm also not ruling any other resorts out. I'm on a moderate budget but am willing to spend for the delux IF the magic is worth it :earsboy:

Thanks for the reply. I did hear that about the bus transportation at CSR.

The way you feel about AKL is the way I feel about CR. I have this feeling of just wanting to go for it!

I found the CSR transportation to be excellent.

I think that if you really have your heart set on CR you probably should plan to stay there. Price it out and tehn start budgeting so you can do that.

We stayed at CBR after having come from a POLY stay. I liked it, but Holy Complaining from my DD and DSIL> They hated it. There are times when you just need to stay where you really want to stay because nothing else is going o measure up.

FIrst, look at your budget. I love deluxe resorts and we do choose them on occasion, but not every trip. I refuse to compromise on many other components of the trip for the resort.

The first thing we look at when choosing a resort is how we plan to vacation. If we are going to carve out time for the resort, which we do, we spend more money on lodging. What is yuour plan? Are you going to go rope drop to park close? Or will you relax at the resort and use the amenities?

Where will your trip focus be for the parks? Mostly Epcot? Magic Kingdom?

I have stayed at CSR and the CR. I will say that for a moderate CSR is pretty darn sweet, especially for two adults. It is a business class resort, so I think the amenities lean more towards Deluxe than moderate, IMO. I am going to qualify the rest by stating I did not like the theme, but that was on me. We stayed there on a December trip, and were three women, myself, my DDIL and a friend who joined us for the trip. THe resort was impeccably decorated with stunning understated decorations. It was spotless, and the grounds were meticulously groomed. The room was clean, the beds very comfortable, and once our mousekeeper noticed we used all of the linens, she added more, along with toiletries. We did not need to ask. One thing I liked was the door that was between the "closet/sink" area and the sleeping area. No curtain, but a sliding door. It was a nice addition. There are plenty of dining choices, and a lounge if you want to relax with a cocktail. While we were there the manager seemed to be everywhere. I mean one second she was behind the registration desk, and then when I needed assistance at the concierge counter...she was there. We went outdoors and she was in the valet area. This seemed to be the norm the entire trip, and at all hours, and I noticed that she was not taking over for the CM's, but lending support. SHe as one genuine asset!

The walk through the resort is lovely during the day, and stunning at night.

As to the CR, I am not a fan. We have had two nice trips there but given a choice I wil stay anywhere else. No reason other than I prefer a more relaxed setting.

POFQ is my favorite moderate resort. It is compact, has great transportation options (I love the water taxi) and just small enough for me to feel at home. I have always enjoyed good service and friendly CM's. I woudl still send an adult couple to CSR. This is a resort that really attracts families, so be aware that while EVERY WDW resort is family friendly, some offer a more adult feeling than others. POFQ is really kid friendly, and the pool illustrates that perfectly. It was our resort choice specifically for my DGD when she was younger.

Nancy, thanks for the reply and being so detailed in the response.

On our previous trip we only had 3 park days so we went rope drop till close and burned ourselves out. This time we are having Atleast an entire day to have no reservations and just relax at the resort or even resort hop and just kind of take in the scenery.

Some things on my disney bucket list include spending the day at MK(rope drop to close) taking the time to see the little things. Then a day at AK because I love avatar and can't wait to see pandora. I'd like to visit Epcot and Hollywood studios maybe just later in the day since I love Star Wars and the world showcase. Visiting Disney springs at night when we arrived was really nice and I'd like
To do that again, perhaps eat at planet Hollywood.

It seems like you had a fantastic experience at CSR! That's great! I really have to consider that resort. My only issue is transportation. At POFQ you have the boat to DS or at CR the monorail. Not huge differences but I see the value in travel access alone. Thanks again

My vote is for the Wilderness Lodge! Along with AKL, it's the cheapest of deluxe hotels. The theming is amazing and the location is great... Just a beautiful boat ride away from MK. The dining choices are great too!

Oh wow I'm going to have to do research on the lodges! A close friend raved about both. They haven't really been on my radar only because there are so many other option. THANKS!

After all the fantastic advice I think I have to really analyze my budget and crunch some numbers to have a better idea.

The plan is for January 2018 and they haven't released those dates on the Disney website yet. I heard they will in June? Is that correct?

I feel so fortunate to be apart of this community.

The plan is for January 2018 and they haven't released those dates on the Disney website yet. I heard they will in June? Is that correct?
Last year it was July, I think. You can book room-only by calling now, but they'll quote you the Christmas rate (highest of the year) for any dates in January right now, and if budget is a factor I would wait until they at least announce 2018 rack rates.

If you're looking for after marathon (january 3-7, 2018) and it's only the two of you, renting points for Bay Lake Tower might be an option. With an 11-month booking for dates AFTER January 3-7, a Lake View Studio would be a possibility. Friday-Saturday nights would be 19 points per night (~$304 via a broker), and a weeknight would be 17 points per night (~$272 via a broker).

There are a variety of considerations about DVC rental, ranging from the finality of the booking transaction, the need to book (and pay) very far in advance, giving up daily housekeeping and towel service, and the room configuration itself. But it could be an option if you're really interested in staying near MK.

I don't recommend BLT studios with more than 2 people, although plenty of people do them with up to capacity (4). But I do think that for 2, they're nicer than Garden Wing rooms, and the Lake View Studio is cheaper with a better view as a premium point rental almost every season without a really good TA deal.

Last edited:
Nancy, thanks for the reply and being so detailed in the response.

On our previous trip we only had 3 park days so we went rope drop till close and burned ourselves out. This time we are having Atleast an entire day to have no reservations and just relax at the resort or even resort hop and just kind of take in the scenery.

Some things on my disney bucket list include spending the day at MK(rope drop to close) taking the time to see the little things. Then a day at AK because I love avatar and can't wait to see pandora. I'd like to visit Epcot and Hollywood studios maybe just later in the day since I love Star Wars and the world showcase. Visiting Disney springs at night when we arrived was really nice and I'd like
To do that again, perhaps eat at planet Hollywood.

It seems like you had a fantastic experience at CSR! That's great! I really have to consider that resort. My only issue is transportation. At POFQ you have the boat to DS or at CR the monorail. Not huge differences but I see the value in travel access alone. Thanks again

I did have a nice time, and that is without really liking the theme! I had no complaints with transportation. To be honest, I have chosen to take a cab if I want to save time going to or returning from dinner, so unless I am totally invested in one specific means of transportation, it is not a factor for me.

If you do decide a moderate is the best for you in the price range you have, make sure you take into consideration the amenities the resort offers, and the atmosphere as well. I tried to steer my friend to CSR on her trip, but she decided on CBR. Okay. Well she was not a fan. Between buses, the size, the kids, it was not the ideal choice for a childless couple who was enjoying an adult F&W centered trip. It was nice, but she would choose a different resort next time.

The water taxi to DS is awesome, but I would not choose a resort specifically for this unless DS is going to be your destination several times. I confess that I love the boat transportation to anywhere, so the water taxi is an added bonus, but it never is my deciding factor.

I love resort hopping and we do this at least once on every trip. Make sure to spend time on the Boardwalk and visit the Epcot resorts. This is my favorite area in WDW for non park time, and that includes DS. To be honest, I woudl choose one of the Epcot resorts over CR for an adult couples trip.

Oh wow I'm going to have to do research on the lodges! A close friend raved about both. They haven't really been on my radar only because there are so many other option. THANKS!

I am in total agreement!!! My favorite stay was AKL. It was absolutely stunning, and offered the most drastic change from Disney Parks mode when returning to the resort. I would not waste this gorgeous resort if I could not schedule resot time. It transports you to a different World.

After all the fantastic advice I think I have to really analyze my budget and crunch some numbers to have a better idea.

I feel so fortunate to be apart of this community.

LOL! The only thing better than planning our own trips is planning someone else's!!!

I have stayed at both and most of the moderate and deluxe resorts. Oddly enough, both are my least favorite in both categories. There was nothing wrong with CSR and I can't really put my finger on why it's not my favorite but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, as a matter of fact I'm doing a split stay with CSR and BW this March. Of the MK resorts, CR is my least favorite, as a matter of fact, I've actually paid more to stay elsewhere. My complaint with it is just it's look, just finding the lobby is a challenge since it is laid out like a convention type hotel. I find it kind of boring. If I were staying at a MK resort, I'd go WL or GF. The only reason I wouldn't do Poly is it is very family oriented and can be busy and loud.

We love the Epcot resorts since Epcot and HS are our favorite parks, bonus they tend to be a little less than the MK resorts. AKL is beautiful, stunning and we loved our stay there. Have you thought about a split stay? I do them almost every trip, I do a day or two at a moderate then move over to a deluxe for the last part of our stay. I have done this for trips as short as 4 days and as long as 6 nights. I have even split 2 nights at AKV and 4 nights at BWV (I'm not DVC and didn't rent points at either on that trip, just turned out the cost for those through Orbitz was less than a resort room).

Based on what I've seen in your posts, I'm with the WL recommendation group. It is the least expensive of the Deluxe category and is in a prime location - While it isn't monorail to the MK, it is ferry boat to the MK -- a very quick ride to and from the MK every day. And, Artist Point is one of our favorite restaurants at WDW. The pool is beautiful at WL and the resort is as well.

Tom

I'm going to be contrary.

If there is one thing my mama taught me, and one thing seeing people planning Disney vacations and dreaming has shown me repeatedly, is that if you have a dream resort, staying somewhere else may be nice... but it will not satisfy that dream.

The dream here is the Contemporary. The words used make that so clear: "an absolute honor." It's not "I've always wanted to stay Deluxe, where should I go?" It is the Contemporary.

This is not to say other resorts suggested aren't nice. Or that they aren't the people suggesting them's favorites, or once their own dreams. But at the end of the day, if OP stays elsewhere, Contemporary will still be the dream.

a54c42961399b28a0587c99b1d4da936.jpg

Everyone's advice has been overhwlemly helpful and I'm really happy about the suggestions. I can't thank you enough.

I'm going to give CSR some further consideration but I'm also going to look into Wilderness Lodge.

Now I'm thinking about the crescent lake resorts around Epcot. What's the best of the resorts around there? Somthing in walking distance to Epcot, resort rooms that are Most recently refurb?
I just want to consider all options.

So far my short list for my 2018 trip is
Corondo Springs
Wilderness Lodge
Port Orleans FQ
The contemporary

Last edited:
Everyone's advice has been overhwlemly helpful and I'm really happy about the suggestions. I can't thank you enough.

I'm going to give CSR some further consideration but I'm also going to look into Wilderness Lodge.

Now I'm thinking about the crescent lake resorts around Epcot. What's the best of the resorts around there? Somthing in walking distance to Epcot, resort rooms that are Most recently refurb?
I just want to consider all options.

So far my short list for my 2018 trip is
Corondo Springs
Wilderness Lodge
Port Orleans FQ
The contemporary

If you are looking for Epcot -- consider the Swan -- it is recently renovated, and although not 100% a Disney property, it is in the Epcot footprint, a deluxe hotel (Westin) and walking distance to both Hollywood Studios and Epcot - and it is generally priced in between a moderate and a deluxe. You don't get the Magical Express when you stay at the Swan or Dolphin, and there is a daily resort charge -- but you can usually get a room there for at least $100 per night less than the BWI, Yacht or Beach Clubs.

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter