• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney planning book

Darlington101

Earning My Ears
We haven't been to Disney in years so I was thinking it may be a good idea to get a planning book? But if so which one, The unofficial Guide to WDW or The Easy Guide to WDW Visit? Or would touringplans.com be enough?

Absolutely get the easy guide but dont' shy away from using other books and resources. easy guide took a different direction so it's got some different info than then other books and really helps educate you on disney and options and making some choices... it's also by the easywdw guys and they've been considered the closest to accurate crowd calendars.

We haven't been to Disney in years so I was thinking it may be a good idea to get a planning book? But if so which one, The unofficial Guide to WDW or The Easy Guide to WDW Visit? Or would touringplans.com be enough?

Get both! That's what I did. :)

I wouldn't even necessarily buy the unofficial guide. It's pretty much just a restatement of the Touring Plans subscription website.

I read the entire Easy Guide. Really spot on. And it now has an online component where you can register and get updates for any disney changes from date of publish to present.

I get the most recent guides from the library. I think I bought once book once when the library didn't have the most recent. If I had to only get one I'd get Unofficial.

I also like Passporter; I bought the deluxe ring binder so now I only have to get refills if there's a new edition out for a trip.

"Excuse me. When is the three o'clock parade?" :-)

Which is, of course, a totally legitimate question, just asked slightly wrong. If the parade starts at 3 at Main Street, it isn't going to be back near Haunted Mansion at 3. A good CM knows that what is being asked is "what time will it be at my desired location to watch it?"

If you're a fan of guide books, I'd go with Unofficial Guide for sure. But I also think that if you're comfortable getting travel info online, touringplans.com is probably enough IMO.

Check your local library, then supplement with on-line/up-to-date info. :earsboy:

The Easy Guide has good information for the person that does not want volumes of info. Could be called the Idiots Guide - its just simple. The Unofficial is SO BIG, it can be too much to handle. Easy has at least 80% of the usable info, but much more user friendly.

Another option is the Complete Guide to Disney which has great color photos that our family loves. We use the Complete Guide to get excited for our trip (especially the kids) and consult the Unofficial Guide as the definitive reference work as needed.

Another option is the Complete Guide to Disney which has great color photos that our family loves. We use the Complete Guide to get excited for our trip (especially the kids) and consult the Unofficial Guide as the definitive reference work as needed.
This is a good point! I forgot about that one! The photos are fantastic and info is good. I like lots of detail, which is why I'm generally an UG person. Those two would be great together. :thumbsup2

The Unofficial Guide is great! I really like how they tell it like it is and don't sugar coat it. However, they don't try to induce panic either. The humor makes it a great read. I have read it multiple times. The amount of details and knowledge of how the "system", ie rides, hotels, dining, transportation, works is fascinating. If you are a geek of any kind, you would probably enjoy reading it. The website with subscription and phone app are essential, especially for subsequent trips.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter