Disney Pins from EBAY What would u do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRICKY_TINK

Mouseketeer
I bought a $90 bag of 100 pins. They are all scrappers! What should I do. Send them back? It just doesn't seem like a good idea. Report them to Disneys fraud department? Call Ebay and my C.C. company? What would you do?

Did the listing say they were not scrappers?

(Like it or not, scrappers are tradeable in the parks.)

I'd buy some 12x12 cork tiles, frame them in cheap frames, and mount the scrappers as wall art.

I would NOT take them to WDW or DL and start trading them.

I bought a $90 bag of 100 pins. They are all scrappers! What should I do. Send them back? It just doesn't seem like a good idea. Report them to Disneys fraud department? Call Ebay and my C.C. company? What would you do?
Depends. If they were advertised as "genuine" or "authentic" Disney pins, then call eBay or contact the seller or do whatever you'd normally do if you thought you were buying "real" and instead purchased "fake".

Did the listing say they were not scrappers?

(Like it or not, scrappers are tradeable in the parks.)
And yes, while scrappers are tradeable, most serious (and even not-so-serious) traders know how to tell the difference. So if the OP has purchased them for her kids or herself to trade with others, they may find that lots of people simply won't trade with them, which kind of takes the fun out of it.

:earsboy:

Depends. If they were advertised as "genuine" or "authentic" Disney pins, then call eBay or contact the seller or do whatever you'd normally do if you thought you were buying "real" and instead purchased "fake".

And yes, while scrappers are tradeable, most serious (and even not-so-serious) traders know how to tell the difference. So if the OP has purchased them for her kids or herself to trade with others, they may find that lots of people simply won't trade with them, which kind of takes the fun out of it.

Well I don't actually know any families who trade outside of CMs - including my own. And CMs will take them. That's all I was saying - staying out of the ethics of the whole thing, just stating the facts. We have gotten a few scrappers here and there in pin lots and may or may not have traded them with CMs - my kids have no clue and just pick and trade what they like.

When you bid on 100 pins for $90 did you seriously think you weren't getting fakes?

Yea I wrote the seller. I told them I'm not comfortable in their word these are official but also don't just want them going to another buyer so I am kinda at an impass but positive feedback just wont happen and I may turn them in.
Unless they can give me more info on where these are from. They are listed here http://www.ebay.com/itm/140597362991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
posting says 100% official Disney trading pins which they are not. Pinpics says scrappers are not legal and won't be traded for in the parks:confused: So you are saying they are ok? so confused
The way I can tell is the mickey stamped back doesn't run off the edges but has a border, they say that is the way to tell the scrappers. That makes this lot I just got 90% scrappers. Which means I paid 90.00 for something they paid maybe 5.00 for from some Chinese factory. My kids both trade too so yea it would suck to be "called out" on something like that.

Sometimes the excitement of a "great deal" over takes you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Nigerian Prince to e-mail.

I did!:mad: I thought maybe they worked for Disney. I have talked to many CM who have 1000's of pins. I didn't read how much they were selling as I caught what I thought was a rare auction just closing:headache: and jumped on it. I know I know.....So hows your Prince doing? Does he have a Brother?:lmao:

In my experience, the CMs I've traded with barely even looked at the pins Ive traded them. I've never seen a CM inspect a pin or reject a trade. Use your own judgment whether you should trade them or not.

I did!:mad: I thought maybe they worked for Disney. I have talked to many CM who have 1000's of pins. I didn't read how much they were selling as I caught what I thought was a rare auction just closing:headache: and jumped on it. I know I know.....So hows your Prince doing? Does he have a Brother?:lmao:

I've never bought pins from Ebay but I have been suckered on other things before.

I did get a fake (scrapper?) pin from a CM though. I know it was fake because "lamp" was spelled "lanp".

Sorry to hear what happened. I've just bought myself for the kids. They haven't arrived yet so here's hoping. May I ask how you know if a pin is a scrapper?

Yea I wrote the seller. I told them I'm not comfortable in their word these are official but also don't just want them going to another buyer so I am kinda at an impass but positive feedback just wont happen and I may turn them in.
Unless they can give me more info on where these are from. They are listed here http://www.ebay.com/itm/140597362991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
posting says 100% official Disney trading pins which they are not. Pinpics says scrappers are not legal and won't be traded for in the parks:confused: So you are saying they are ok? so confused
The way I can tell is the mickey stamped back doesn't run off the edges but has a border, they say that is the way to tell the scrappers. That makes this lot I just got 90% scrappers. Which means I paid 90.00 for something they paid maybe 5.00 for from some Chinese factory. My kids both trade too so yea it would suck to be "called out" on something like that.
Checking the back is not a foolproof 100% way to tell a scrapper. Different pin lots have different characteristics. You have to examine the pins and look for other things (badly-done artwork, odd colors, etc). This seller has a 99.6% approval rating on eBay, which certainly doesn't make him infallible, but doesn't automatically say "cheat" either. Still ... $90 for 100 pins should have been a bit of a tip-off that you might be taking a chance. Less than a buck a pin for pins that sell for five times that? Sometimes you simply get what you pay for.

As was noted, CMs will trade with anyone, and many CMs will only trade with kids. So if you stick to CMs, your kids will be fine. And not every trader is looking only for 100% authentic Disney pins. Some are just looking for pins they like.

To be absolutely certain -- if that's important to you -- then you need to get your money back for the ones you have and wait until you get to Disney to buy your pins.

I was looking to purchase pins to trade, via ebay, on our upcoming trip... but after reading a couple of sellers feedback, and complaints of scrappers, I decided against it. Seems most, if not all, of the lots being sold were at least partially, if not all, scrappers.

for those wondering what scrappers are:
http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm

I hope I got the link right... if not my apologies.

Before our first ever trip to WDW with the kids (about 7 years ago I guess) I bought some pins from Ebay for the kids. I have no idea if they were real or not but the kids only ever trade with a CM and the CMs never said a word about any of them. Now I can see if we were trying to trade with "regular" people but the CMs will trade with any child - no questions asked. What's the big deal? :confused3

I don't believe the OP has enough experience in determining whether 90% are truly scrappers or not based on the later information that has been posted. Take the pins, let the kids trade them with CMs.

The ad says official Disney pins, 100% tradeable at the parks. I think you got what he listed (depending on your definition of "official," but in truth I don't think that is a meaningful descriptive word in this case - in other words, I don't know what the definition of "official" as it pertains to a pin is).

I bought a lot of "official Disney trading" pins from a seller previous to our trip. When one of our kiddos went to trade with a CM, they looked at the back and said "sorry, this isn't a real Disney pin, I can't accept it". I was sooo embarassed:worried:. Never again will I run the risk of pre-buying discounted pins.

I bought pins off Ebay.. in fact I saw some on that previously linked site.. my kids had NO issues trading pins and they traded 10-15 times a day for 11 days each ( 4 kids!)

I bought a lot of "official Disney trading" pins from a seller previous to our trip. When one of our kiddos went to trade with a CM, they looked at the back and said "sorry, this isn't a real Disney pin, I can't accept it". I was sooo embarassed:worried:. Never again will I run the risk of pre-buying discounted pins.

I think there is a lot of inconsistency when trading pins or vinylmations.

Our kids have traded pins off of ebay in the past with no issues. If they were scrappers, you couldn't tell as they looked identical to pins at the parks. :confused3

On our most recent trip, the kids started trading vinylmations. My middle son traded at one store and ended up with a clear vinylmation he didn't like. As that is part of the fun, he just decided to trade it at the next store. The CM very rudely told him it was not eligible for trading. He found out that it was a "create your own" vinylmation that wasn't eligible for trading. Well, if it was not eligible, why was it in the trading box in the first place? The particular CM wouldn't listen to us that we had just received it, so my son went back to the previous store and they very kindly apologized and said they wondered about that when they received it. They turned the box around and let my son choose any vinylmation he wanted. My point is, if a CM turns you away, the next one won't. Many of the CM's don't seem that well educated into the nuances of trading like we are on the DIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter