Disney on a diet.... sort of

You can also eat off the kids menu. I do it quite a bit when I want something that may not be the best choice.

Also remember that if you do put on weight it could be sodium or water weight (you'll drink a lot of water no doubt but you may also be sweating a lot) related so it can come off quickly when you get home.

Ok, I am looking for real world experience from those that have visited WDW while in the midst of a life changing diet. I started Jan 26th at 265# and I came off the scales this past Tuesday on weigh in day at 217#. I have been on a pretty rigorous diet (1890 calories) with lots of walking (5-7 miles/day) and have cut out all sugar and most processed foods.

Facts: DW, DS14, DS12 and I are on the QSDDP and are planning on doing breakfast in the hotels as I can get my normal breakfast of plain fat free greek yogurt, fresh fruit and granola. Water, no problems there. QS desserts, no thanks give me that bottle of water as a snack or some other item that is better besides premade cupcakes.

Problem: I think I need to remember I am on vacation and enjoy myself some but one meal per day seems like the most I would like have as a cheat meal and enjoy the Disney dining experience. That lunch meal in each park is going to be the tough one trying to eat pseudo healthy...am I over thinking this? What has been your experiences?

Magic Kingdom?

Epcot?

Hollywood Studios?

Animal Kingdom?
We look at the menus and figure out where and what we would like to eat. Here is the Allears link for menus. http://allears.net/dining/menu
It can help with good decisions. Best wishes and have fun!

I have to always be aware, though at WDW, I pretty much do what I want. The key is being sure that you really WANT it. Those really good sweet potato fries might be worth it but not the regular fries. One mickey bar is a treat but pass on the packaged cookies. What I have done a few times is to work really hard in the weeks leading up to the trip to loose an extra 5-10 pounds so that even if I gain some on the trip, I still come away ok. We are going to do the deluxe plan next trip so that really will be a huge challenge.

I think it is doable for sure, you just need to make sure what you pick off the menu is somewhat healthy, knowing that you will feel full and happy at the end of the meal. I'm on a diet also and have to be very careful about eating out because fried foods can upset my stomach.

Definitely doable!! Here's my suggestions for qs meals in the parks:
Mk:
-Harbour House, has a DELICIOUS steamed salmon w/brocoli & cous cous, also a tuna sandwich that's pretty good!
-Pecos has a nice burrito with toppings bar, I get the vegetarian or chicken, and top it with all the vegetables and guac and call it a day!
-Cosmic Rays has nice sandwiches, I'd suggest taking off the top part of the bun though, the bread is huge, they've also got some nice salads there
DHS:
-ABC commissary has the nicest and healthiest options here, IMO, though their menu does seem to change frequently, if you can make it through Starring Rolls without picking one of each cupcake (a struggle for me) the sandwiches there are pretty good, again, lots of bread.
DAK
-Yak & Yeti qs has a few options, but be wary of the sauces, they'll be loaded with added sugar
-Harambe marketplace has some smaller but healthier options, chicken skewers, etc
-The new qs bar type place beside everest has healthier options too!
Epcot
-Sunshine seasons, careful of sauces, but again, healthiest you'll find, and a wide variety of choices
-Morocco, Japan would be the best in WS for healthier options

When I'm on vacation I usually give myself ONE treat per day,(being, a sweet/cupcake/cookie, popcorn, pretzel, chicken fingers & fries, a soda, or a sugary alcoholic drink) if I feel like it. I know when we go to Dhs, Imma get a red velvet cupcake, so I do. On our DAK day, I might not get something, and that's okay. It does come down to being about moderation and it being a lifestyle. I still allow myself a treat once in a while at home, so I'll do it on vacation too, just not more than once a day or every 2 days

I think Disney does a really good job of offering healthy options. You can find veggies and fruits as sides available at many CS restaurants. I tried to stay away from anything fried and usually have no problem.
Congrats on your weight loss!

Thank you all very much on the compliments and suggestions. It is very much appreciated. After pouring over the menu's on allears.net I think I am closing in on a plan!

This may sound weird, but I actually found buffets easier to do, probably because of the selection. My diet has no added sugars, beans, grains, corn, rice, dairy, or alcohol (Whole30). Basically, I can eat meat, fish, veggies, fruit, and nuts. I did splurge at Disney in March, but I usually felt bad afterward. I mainly stuck with salads or entrees that I could sub the carb side with vegetables. I found it easier to try to eat healthy meals and then splurge on a dessert/snack once a day. Sweets are my weakness. Breakfast was easy, because I bought hard boiled eggs and fruit from Whole Foods and the hotel grab-n-go. I found airports to be pretty difficult. Ours has a good BBQ place with a vinegar based slaw. MCO was pretty hard. If you do splurge, don't kick yourself. It's hard not to when you are on vacation. You can go back to eating healthy the minute you get home. Don't buy any treats to take home; that's a diet killer.

It is great that you have adopted a new way of eating! We have also - no sugar, no white bread/rice/pasta, no processed food. I have found tons of options while looking over the menus - and thanks katt789 for your suggestions above. I am of the "one treat per day, and stay with the program for the rest of the day" mindset.

One warning though!! After no sugary treats for months, I treated myself at Easter to some delicious sweets, and ended up sick as a dog! Stomach, then migraine!! I would hate to waste any Disney trip time being ill at my own hand, so I might opt for a pasta dish one day as my treat rather than a sweet treat.

I'm keto-paleo which is basically Whole 30. I do a lot of TS for dinner so I can customize my order. I don't eat breakfast anyway, usually just some tea or chicken broth. I have a Turkey Leg for lunch. At Disney, I allow myself a little leeway. Usually that's the Lemon Meringue ice cream you find at France or creme brulee. I tend to gravitate towards the custard-based desserts since the high fat content helps me at least feel full too and digest slower, rather than a low-fat dessert which will leave me craving more in about 30 minutes.

This may sound weird, but I actually found buffets easier to do, probably because of the selection. My diet has no added sugars, beans, grains, corn, rice, dairy, or alcohol (Whole30). Basically, I can eat meat, fish, veggies, fruit, and nuts. I did splurge at Disney in March, but I usually felt bad afterward. I mainly stuck with salads or entrees that I could sub the carb side with vegetables. I found it easier to try to eat healthy meals and then splurge on a dessert/snack once a day. Sweets are my weakness. Breakfast was easy, because I bought hard boiled eggs and fruit from Whole Foods and the hotel grab-n-go. I found airports to be pretty difficult. Ours has a good BBQ place with a vinegar based slaw. MCO was pretty hard. If you do splurge, don't kick yourself. It's hard not to when you are on vacation. You can go back to eating healthy the minute you get home. Don't buy any treats to take home; that's a diet killer.

Any specific suggestions? Which buffets have good meat/ fish/ veggies and fruit?

Any specific suggestions? Which buffets have good meat/ fish/ veggies and fruit?

We ate breakfast at 1900 Park Fare (mainly eggs, some meat) and lunch at Tusker House. Both of those were good. I think most of the buffets are going to have a good selection, except maybe Biergarten. I haven't eaten there. I know they have sausage, which is meat, and sauerkraut, which is a veggie. However, I don't think most people would think of it as a healthy, meat & veggie place. All of the buffets seem to have fruit, even at lunch and dinner.

All the buffets (for both breakfast and dinner) have relatively healthy options on them. Also, doing a buffet would allow you to take a small amount of something that maybe isn't the best choice, so that you don't feel like you are depriving yourself. Another tip for the buffets would be to use a child's plate for your food. The plates are smaller, making it look like you have more food. Mind over matter, you know?

Here's the problem I have with buffets other than the quality of the food is pretty institutional and rather average to poor including most of them at WDW. Most people who have struggled with weight control (myself included) have a very difficult time just eating a little bit of this and a little bit of that at a buffet. Sure, it sounds easy to just make a salad, go up and have some lean fish or chicken, pluck a few veggies and pick and choose healthy options while everyone else is loading their plates high, wide, and deep with grub. And then lets not forget all the cheesecakes, cookies and other desserts as well.

Maybe it's just me and perhaps I'm the only former heavy person who has successfully changed what and how much he eats that struggles in a buffet setting. It is so much more than just picking the healthy stuff. For me sitting at a buffet would be like an recovering alcoholic to go sit at a bar and order food off the menu. The best advice I would have when it comes to buffets is don't make too many ADR's at them and choose a sit down meal instead. :goodvibes

Last edited:
I'm right there with you! I'm going to try and limit carbs and not finish meals. I do know that the quiche meal at BoG was the lowest calorie choice there (except maybe soup, I don't really like soup when it's hot) because they used to list the nutritional info.

I want to encourage you in your choice to eat healthy while you are there. TWICE DH and I were on Weight Watchers when we went to a Disney park. We lived in the moment and ate what we wanted. The problem for us was once we fell off the wagon, it took a looooong time to get back on! I know everyone is different, but if you WANT to eat healthy while you are there - good for you! You'll come home not only refreshed from your vacation, but also with a sense of accomplishment knowing you made healthy choices in a place where that's not always easy to do.

I agree so much. I didn't gain weight while on trip but boy did it go wrong the first month when I returned.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice. I am down now 51#'s and am hoping to be down 60-65 by the time I get there. Aiming to hit my HS graduating weight and then gain muscle mass back in the gym. Being 200-205 and maintaining would make me a happy dude!

I think breakfast at Disney is the most "dangerous" calorie wise so you have a good plan for that meal.

If you plan on any adult beverages try to stick to wine or champagne. The pretty drinks really do pack on the calories. Most deserts look way better than they taste. I like one scoop of ice cream in a cup on some nights.

Maybe take a few faster walks around the park or hotel. In the old paper fast pass days I would power walk to get our passes while my husband sat in the shade :)

Congratulations on your success!! Been there and I know how good it feels to loose. And you do start to crave healthy choices. Relax and enjoy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter