Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Unpopular opinion. I love the Wish soundtrack and I'm tired of Lin's work for Disney. Don't get me wrong, I love what he did with Moana but his songs in The Little Mermaid made me cringe so hard I wanted to leave the theater and it's just too obvious when he wrote a song. There is no differing styles or anything, it takes me out of the movie when I hear them.
I liked Wish as well, especially the main song. I didn't like the new songs in the live-action Little Mermaid--nothing compared to the classics. But since Moana already has really good music and an identifiable sound, I think bringing back Lin Manuel for the sequel would be appropriate.

Nevertheless, I will go into Moana 2 with an open mind regardless of who writes the songs!

Unpopular opinion. I love the Wish soundtrack and I'm tired of Lin's work for Disney. Don't get me wrong, I love what he did with Moana but his songs in The Little Mermaid made me cringe so hard I wanted to leave the theater and it's just too obvious when he wrote a song. There is no differing styles or anything, it takes me out of the movie when I hear them.
Okay I can agree with his work in the Little Mermaid remake. Those songs are insanely bad and don't mess with the original songs that well.

I'm not really a fan of Lin either but his songs for Moana are great.

Now if only Disney would bring back Musker and Clements back to do a movie... those two can do no wrong in my book! Great Mouse Detective, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, Treasure Planet, Princess and the Frog, Moana. Would have been great if they were involved in Moana 2, I hope they can at least consult as part of the brain trust that Disney often does for their movies.

I agree. The Wish music was fine. It's not among the best of the best Disney soundtracks, but it's hardly terrible. It's fine. I do like Lyn though, but, yeah, he kind of has a style that is unmistakeable.

This is pretty wild. New droids in Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland. I remember when droids and roaming characters were sold as something that would definitely happen. Thanks Chapek!

On top of that, the fireworks show at Disneyland’s GE is also here to stay past Season of the Force!

Honestly, with the BD-X droids and the fireworks show, Hollywood Studios' Galaxy’s Edge needs to expand in order to differentiate from its west coast counterpart. They could expand into the area where Galactic Starcruiser is (or was) with new attractions, restaurants, and shows.

Facts. Like him or not but Lin Manual Miranda made an amazing soundtrack for Moana.

The issue with Wish's soundtrack is that Disney hired people who write music for pop artists. Why they did this for a movie that is trying to be reminiscent of the Disney classics of old, I have no clue.
That explains why it legit sounded like they were just speaking over music at certain points! They lyrics weren't even good. Poor Ariana DeBose... she does musicals and can actually sing! IDK that Chris Pine is known for his vocals.
I think Moana and Encanto both had great soundtracks. Instant hits that were creative and got stuck in your head. I just watched Encanto again and the research to rhyme flowers and different types of plants for What Else Can I Do just amazes me. Similar to all the fish in Under the Sea! I agree 100% about his songs in Little Mermaid. It just didn't work trying to blend into Howard Ashman's work which is honestly why I am concerned for Moana 2. It's difficult trying to imitate and blend.

I liked Wish as well, especially the main song. I didn't like the new songs in the live-action Little Mermaid--nothing compared to the classics. But since Moana already has really good music and an identifiable sound, I think bringing back Lin Manuel for the sequel would be appropriate.

Nevertheless, I will go into Moana 2 with an open mind regardless of who writes the songs!
I couldn't even tell you WHAT the main song was called. I know they were all singing it at the end, but it just didn't resonate with me.

While we're on the subject of new style vs. old style of Disney music, this is a fun watch:
What Makes Disney Music Sound Nostalgic

For those who don't want to watch the video, the answer is musical theatre, basically merging the sound of Broadway with animation.
I remember watching Howard on Disney+ when Ashman explained Part of Your World was integral for the audience to understand the storyline following musical theater progression and Katzenberg wanted to cut it numerous times. :sad2:

Going on the topic of Tropical Americas, I have a feeling that the project will have changed come this year's D23 and instead be a whole new land rather than a replacement of Dinoland, because Joe Rhode has come back to Disney (even though he's there to train new Imagineers) and I believe he still thinks that there is a place for dinosaurs in Disney's Animal Kingdom. Like I said in the last page, Tom Bricker, who visited Imagineering last Tuesday, did say that Dino-Rama (the tacky, carnival-themed section of Dinoland) is the one that's going away.

This Wish. It's the "I want" song. I don't think they sign it in the end
Ahh yes, that's it!

Was this not the same song they all sang in unison when King Magnifico was hurting them with dark magic releasing Star from his staff?
DH and I joke that there seems to be nothing nice to say about Katzenberg 😆
In every bonus feature or documentary that mentions him, he's trying to cut something that ends up being awesome...
It's true! I did like Shrek so I guess I can say that was something good he did :rotfl2:

Ahh yes, that's it!

Was this not the same song they all sang in unison when King Magnifico was hurting them with dark magic releasing Star from his staff?

It's true! I did like Shrek so I guess I can say that was something good he did :rotfl2:
Yeah, Shrek was good! He finally did something good LOL

How to Watch Tomorrow’s Solar Eclipse at Walt Disney World

The 2024 solar eclipse will happen in the afternoon of April 8th. In terms of exact timing for Walt Disney World, data from NASA shows that the peak coverage will be somewhere around 57% at 3:02pm. You will start to see the moon eclipsing the sun around 1:48pm and the eclipse will conclude around 4:15pm. The sun will be visible in the southwest skies at around 60° from the horizon.

Currently, there is a forecast for a cloudy day tomorrow, which might make the solar eclipse difficult to see. Data suggests a coin flip (50%) on whether or not the skies will be cloudy.

Again, do not look directly at the sun without proper eye protection.

In October, we enjoyed the solar eclipse by finding areas with pinhole camera-style effects around EPCOT. There were even some wonderful PhotoPass Cast Members in front of Spaceship Earth creating makeshift pinhole viewers by punching holes in the Memory Maker cards and handing them out to guests. If the sun is out, you should also be able to see the solar eclipse in shadows cast by trees as well.

1712507227676.png

Attachments

• 1712507211483.png
    1712507211483.png
    546.2 KB · Views: 5
HURRY! This Limited-Time Eclipse Donut Won’t Be in Disney Springs for Long!

Over at Everglazed at the West Side of Disney Springs, you can find an Eclipsed by Chocolate Donut. Yep, that’s right, a fancy chocolate donut specially made for this historic event is being offered. It’s a chocolate lovers dream!

This is no ordinary chocolate donut. It is a “bismark donut that is chocolate glazed and topped with chocolate buttercream, an Oreo cookie, and an outer glow of lunar sprinkles.” Oh don’t worry, it looks as good as it sounds.

Since this specialty donut is only here for the special event, you’ll only be able to find it at Everglazed for a limited time. You can pick it up now until April 8th. The donut shop assures that it’s “out of this world good.”

2024-wdw-Disney-Springs-everglazed-solar-eclipse-chocolate-donut-645x600.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter