Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Yes. I am talking about buying the steak itself, not a dinner out. The markup from what that steak actually costs vs. what Disney is charging is how those places make $. The atmosphere and location is why I pay it.

That Filet that I can buy for roughly $20 a pound means 2 -eight ounce cuts. A good filet dinner around here goes from $28 to $50 depending on all the fixings and the type of restaurant.

$20 won't touch it here. Maybe a Cub cut around $25.

But yea $28 to $50 is still in play, but very few decent ones-agreed not $12 to $15. You threw me way off with that one.

Either way profits have been shrinking and prices increasing.

Good steak is a lot more at quality locations up in MN. Not even prime.

20230712_200309.jpg

Last edited:
Do people really do much to celebrate it? Kids trick or treat on the day, maybe your work lets you wear a costume. That's about it.
Halloween is a HUGE holiday for celebrating. 2021 spending on costumes, candy, decor and cards was $10.1 Billion, with 2022 hitting $10.6 Billion. That is with 65% of households celebrating. That is just monies spent. I have an attic full of decor so while I might not be spending much, there is def celebrating happening. Parties go on for weeks, Disney Parties go on for months, Haunted Houses are built all over, stores are full of decor that flies off the shelves, communities have Trick or Treat and businesses/churches do Trunk or Treat. There are festivals, corn mazes, neighborhood parties, adult parties everywhere, pop up Halloween stores. If a weekday some parents take off work to avoid the horrible traffic congestion of parents trying to get home on time. Traffic and Events are much bigger issues at Halloween than Christmas.

Halloween is a HUGE holiday for celebrating. 2021 spending on costumes, candy, decor and cards was $10.1 Billion, with 2022 hitting $10.6 Billion. That is with 65% of households celebrating. That is just monies spent. I have an attic full of decor so while I might not be spending much, there is def celebrating happening. Parties go on for weeks, Disney Parties go on for months, Haunted Houses are built all over, stores are full of decor that flies off the shelves, communities have Trick or Treat and businesses/churches do Trunk or Treat. There are festivals, corn mazes, neighborhood parties, adult parties everywhere, pop up Halloween stores. If a weekday some parents take off work to avoid the horrible traffic congestion of parents trying to get home on time. Traffic and Events are much bigger issues at Halloween than Christmas.
Does any of that start before October?

and Halloween is not religious... so really anyone can participate in Halloween as opposed to Christmas.

Spirit Halloween stores are opening now in my area. People whpo make their own costumes might start planning. I know I will decorate as soon as late september happens. Halloween and the Christmas season are my decorating times. Perhaps the parties etc does not start until Octobre, but places like Salem,MA will be very busy in Sept and October.

Does this mean there's no Dr. Facilier in the parade? Makes me wonder where he will be since they were training him at International Gateway not all that long ago.
I know I’m the past he was in the stage show
Do we really need three months of Halloween? Really? That's a whole 1/4 of the year for a very minor holiday.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ especially if you think about how Halloween is paywalled in Florida as aside from decour in order to see characters decked out for the season you have to pay for the party or a mediocre buffet at Hollywood & Vine

As far as “seasons” in my observation there are the calendar seasons and the retail/commercial seasons….

The shopping has already started, the stores are full. The Halloween cash is flowing freely. The costume and entertaining planning has started for some who get creative. Tik Tok and IG are full of Halloween DIY decorations. Home parties can start by Oct 1 since there is competition for dates so invites must get out soon. Halloween involves lots more planning and commitment of time for many more than Christmas does so the work starts early. 🎃

Christmas for us is two days, we don't go to any parties. We might go see a light display or like this year we have a Disney trip in December so we'll see some decor. Other than gift shopping which is more about the gift than the holiday we don't begin preparing until the day we put up our decorations. I decorate a lot but it's pretty much the same each year so no preplanning.

Halloween can involve lots of preplanning and that likely changes for families as their kids get older. I have no issue with there being Halloween stuff in the stores now.

NOW if what you mean Disney World specifically because there are almost three months of parties - it is purely a business move for them. People love those parties and were always asking for them to be in summer which is only time some families can go. It's a slower time anyway so exactly why Disney is okay with doing them. The daytime decor is not that much if you aren't into Halloween it isn't a big deal. Every extra Disney has added over the years is to get guests to come, and spend. Halloween is highly successful for them.

We used to go every October and the parks were great - only thing happening was a big golf tournament. They added the Halloween Party and October totally changed, now not the slow time it was.

Umm, I think F&W has a little to do with that. pirate:
Yes now it does, but way back when they started the two events, F&W was not that big and didn't draw families. It also wasn't an added ticket. Disney has no doubt filled hurricane season so full of events that it changed their bottom line for sure. I remember booking FREE DINING to begin just before F&W starting Oct 1 ... and using all our snacks there. Now it's insanely crowded and I avoid it.

Last edited:
The shopping has already started, the stores are full. The Halloween cash is flowing freely. The costume and entertaining planning has started for some who get creative. Tik Tok and IG are full of Halloween DIY decorations. Home parties can start by Oct 1 since there is competition for dates so invites must get out soon. Halloween involves lots more planning and commitment of time for many more than Christmas does so the work starts early. 🎃

Christmas for us is two days, we don't go to any parties. We might go see a light display or like this year we have a Disney trip in December so we'll see some decor. Other than gift shopping which is more about the gift than the holiday we don't begin preparing until the day we put up our decorations. I decorate a lot but it's pretty much the same each year so no preplanning.

Halloween can involve lots of preplanning and that likely changes for families as their kids get older. I have no issue with there being Halloween stuff in the stores now.

NOW if what you mean Disney World specifically because there are almost three months of parties - it is purely a business move for them. People love those parties and were always asking for them to be in summer which is only time some families can go. It's a slower time anyway so exactly why Disney is okay with doing them. The daytime decor is not that much if you aren't into Halloween it isn't a big deal. Every extra Disney has added over the years is to get guests to come, and spend. Halloween is highly successful for them.

We used to go every October and the parks were great - only thing happening was a big golf tournament. They added the Halloween Party and October totally changed, now not the slow time it was.
In my experience, Halloween is mostly for children and drunk college students. Nobody else cares all that much.

Do people really do much to celebrate it? Kids trick or treat on the day, maybe your work lets you wear a costume. That's about it.
You don't see Halloween decorations all over? Like Christmas, it enjoys a "season" not limited to the one day. Events are planned that aren't beholden to the calendar date.

I think it's fun that more and more places every year embrace it.

Florida Resident 2-Day EPCOT and Animal Kingdom Ticket Offer Available

Florida Residents can now buy a Disney 2-Park Explorer Ticket - a special 2-day ticket that's valid for admission to EPCOT and Disney's Animal Kingdom for $159 plus tax.

This ticket is valid from August 1 to September 29, 2023 and can be used on consecutive or nonconsecutive days (subject to theme park reservation availability). There is a limit of one theme park per day for a total of 2 admissions on 2 separate days.

Water Park and Sports Option: $35 More Per Ticket, Plus Tax

You can purchase a Florida Resident Disney 2-Park Explorer Ticket that also includes the Water Park and Sports option for $35 more per ticket, plus tax. With this ticket and option, you can:

• Visit EPCOT or Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park on 2 separate days with a theme park reservation
  • Visit a Disney water park, golf course or miniature golf course on 2 additional days (or enjoy them on the same day that you visit a Disney theme park)
*All tickets and options expire on September 29th, 2023.

Non religious person here, Christmas has very much become a secular holiday for non Christians, lots of people celebrate the holiday without the religious component. Christmas actually started out as a Pagan holiday, Saturnalia.
Yes on the fact that Christmas is now celebrated by non-Christians as well, nope on the idea that Christmas started out as Saturnalia. But, that's not an allowed discussion on the 'boards I don't think...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter