Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Paramount is starting to feel this to an extent with Paramount+. Maverick brought a boost in subscribers which held Mission Impossible down a tad from where it could’ve been.

Warner and Universal for the masses it may not be as apparent that their streaming services are Max and Peacock.

Exactly. And while people do know what Universal and Warner Bros. are, I doubt they could definitively state that certain movies come from them - maybe some of the highest profile ones. Honestly, I don't know why they don't highlight those names more. Peacock is associated with NBC, but how many people know that Universal owns NBC?

Exactly. And while people do know what Universal and Warner Bros. are, I doubt they could definitively state that certain movies come from them - maybe some of the highest profile ones. Honestly, I don't know why they don't highlight those names more. Peacock is associated with NBC, but how many people know that Universal owns NBC?
Disney and Pixar are more likely known by many to be tied to Disney+. Disney makes sure of that with how heavily they market their name branding.

How many are going to associate Dreamworks/Illumination with Universal and Peacock. Even after the Mario movie Peacock only has 24M subscribers vs Disney+Core having 105M.

Disney To Simulcast Monday Night Football on ABC, ESPN as SAG & Writers Strikes Continue
ABC will air an NFL matchup each Monday night between now and December 16 (some of which will be exclusive and not simulcasted to ESPN). The decision fills a potential programming void for ABC that they and all other major broadcasters are currently facing amidst the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. The strikes, which have been occurring since May and July, respectively, prevent WGA and SAG-AFTRA members from partaking in the production of new content. Studios and broadcasters have responded by shifting the release windows of completed projects to widen their options.

Virtual Queue added to My Disney Experience for Passholder exclusive merchandise event

The official Walt Disney World 'My Disney Experience' app has been updated to include the Virtual Queue for the upcoming September 20 Annual Passholder exclusive merchandise event at ESPN Wide World of Sports.

The Virtual Queue tab in 'My Disney Experience' now features three queues: TRON Lightcycle Run, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind, and Passholder Merchandise Event.

Disney and Pixar are more likely known by many to be tied to Disney+. Disney makes sure of that with how heavily they market their name branding.

How many are going to associate Dreamworks/Illumination with Universal and Peacock. Even after the Mario movie Peacock only has 24M subscribers vs Disney+Core having 105M.
This. Movies made by Disney are recognized as "Disney Movies" (even animated movies NOT made by Disney are called this). As of this post I don't know if Universal or Warner made Maverick. And I've never met anyone that went to the theater specifically to see a "Warner Movie".

They just don't have that type of brand recognition for good or bad and I'm honestly not sure why they haven't tried it. Even CW had a specific brand of shows for a while that you could tell was a CW show even if it was streaming on another channel.

Paramount is starting to feel this to an extent with Paramount+. Maverick brought a boost in subscribers which held Mission Impossible down a tad from where it could’ve been.

Warner and Universal for the masses it may not be as apparent that their streaming services are Max and Peacock.
Top Gun: Maverick is available on Prime as well

We watched that in theaters, then on Christmas Eve on Paramount Plus, then I've watched it at least 3 times on Prime (twice on an airplane). It's also available on MGM+ (formerly Epix) although we don't have that premium channel.

As for Disney+ there are movies that are on Disney+ but also available elsewhere, I think HBO Max (never gonna call it Max lol). Avatar Way of the Water is one of them. There's a few more we've run into. Can't say it's always HBO Max but it's not necessarily something you'd think "oh it's the licensing rights"

Top Gun: Maverick is available on Prime as well

We watched that in theaters, then on Christmas Eve on Paramount Plus, then I've watched it at least 3 times on Prime (twice on an airplane). It's also available on MGM+ (formerly Epix) although we don't have that premium channel.

As for Disney+ there are movies that are on Disney+ but also available elsewhere, I think HBO Max (never gonna call it Max lol). Avatar Way of the Water is one of them. There's a few more we've run into. Can't say it's always HBO Max but it's not necessarily something you'd think "oh it's the licensing rights"
Fox Films are still licensed out based on those agreements. That’s why Avatar premiered on both Max and Disney+.

This. Movies made by Disney are recognized as "Disney Movies" (even animated movies NOT made by Disney are called this). As of this post I don't know if Universal or Warner made Maverick. And I've never met anyone that went to the theater specifically to see a "Warner Movie".

They just don't have that type of brand recognition for good or bad and I'm honestly not sure why they haven't tried it. Even CW had a specific brand of shows for a while that you could tell was a CW show even if it was streaming on another channel.

Well, it was Paramount so.... That illustrates the point brilliantly though. I think Warner Bros. strongest association is with Bugs Bunny/Loony Tunes cartoons. The typical movie though? Yeah, nobody knows or cares who made it. In many cases they didn't even "make" it anyway, they jsut distribute it.

Well, it was Paramount so.... That illustrates the point brilliantly though. I think Warner Bros. strongest association is with Bugs Bunny/Loony Tunes cartoons. The typical movie though? Yeah, nobody knows or cares who made it. In many cases they didn't even "make" it anyway, they jsut distribute it.
Lmao, yeah that tracks. I was so sure it was one of those two too!

Fox Films are still licensed out based on those agreements
Sure wasn't saying anything different.

I was just pointing out Maverick is available on multiple platforms not just the two you mentioned and they don't go straight to just the two platforms you mentioned. Then I was pointing out that movies that people would associate as Disney did aren't always going exclusively to Disney+.

We do weekly movie nights with our DISer group and we've come across several of them over time of ones that are duplicated elsewhere (and not Fox)

Completely agree! We go to the movies often, and people always comment about why, and just wait for streaming. I love a movie theater experience and so do my kids, my husband usually can take it or leave it.
I'm the opposite. I hate going to the movies due to other moviegoers ruining the experience and high price of concessions. However I did go see Barbie and that movie was just meant to be watched in a 100% full theater. It made it really fun. I doubt that I'll be seeing anything else in theaters unless it's an "event" and I don't think I'm alone. I also don't think this is just a Disney/Pixar issue.

Completely agree! We go to the movies often, and people always comment about why, and just wait for streaming. I love a movie theater experience and so do my kids, my husband usually can take it or leave it.
We used to be big moviegoers. Friday night was our movie night then we switched to Tuesdays because of cheaper tickets. What slowed us down even just before the pandemic was the content of movies being released. That has only gotten worse and then in the pandemic a lot of pushing back of release dates doesn't help at all.

I was very excited to see Dune part 2 this year after waiting since later on in 2021 after seeing Dune Part 1...but no they decided to push back the release date from October then to early November to mid-November of this year to March of 2024. The last pushing is the strike but the others were due to other movies that would be released from other companies. That kind of switching around can make a moviegoer lose interest or get frustrated. And that has been something that has happened before the pandemic it just was really bad due to it.

I do have a $5 reward I need to use by the end of the month. We'd see either Oppenheimer, Gran Turismo or A Haunting in Venice I think. We've been told Oppenheimer is both better in theaters but also a larger screen haven't checked to see if it's been moved to the smaller theaters but it probably has. That one the 3 hour runtime does interfere with the opportunities we have to see the movie.

We used to be big moviegoers. Friday night was our movie night then we switched to Tuesdays because of cheaper tickets. What slowed us down even just before the pandemic was the content of movies being released. That has only gotten worse and then in the pandemic a lot of pushing back of release dates doesn't help at all.

I was very excited to see Dune part 2 this year after waiting since later on in 2021 after seeing Dune Part 1...but no they decided to push back the release date from October then to early November to mid-November of this year to March of 2024. The last pushing is the strike but the others were due to other movies that would be released from other companies. That kind of switching around can make a moviegoer lose interest or get frustrated. And that has been something that has happened before the pandemic it just was really bad due to it.

I do have a $5 reward I need to use by the end of the month. We'd see either Oppenheimer, Gran Turismo or A Haunting in Venice I think. We've been told Oppenheimer is both better in theaters but also a larger screen haven't checked to see if it's been moved to the smaller theaters but it probably has. That one the 3 hour runtime does interfere with the opportunities we have to see the movie.
Totally agree, the content and pushing is very frustrating! The kids movies have been decent recently, and we have a few on deck that seem good Wish, Paw Patrol, I’m missing the other one that’s in my radar.

I will say I saw Oppenheimer on a smaller screen and outside of one or two scenes I’m not sure what the larger screen would have done for the movie. But that’s just my opinion!

Totally agree, the content and pushing is very frustrating! The kids movies have been decent recently, and we have a few on deck that seem good Wish, Paw Patrol, I’m missing the other one that’s in my radar.

I will say I saw Oppenheimer on a smaller screen and outside of one or two scenes I’m not sure what the larger screen would have done for the movie. But that’s just my opinion!
I'm looking forward to Wish, we don't usually see those types of movies in theaters no matter who is the company but we could if we saw it with our Disney group. Thank you for letting me know about Oppenheimer! Better to know that it could still be viewed well enough on a smaller screen without it diminishing the quality much. We saw The Batman in theaters due to all the comments about the darkness. Watching it at home it was noticeable but perhaps not a deal breaker in the end.

I'm sure this will follow Ahsoka and premier every Thursday at 9PM EST. I wish they would just stick to the old schedule or release them at 6PM EST.
Aside from matching other streamers like Apple TV+ releasing earlier in the day, I wonder if Disney is shifting to this time in hopes of capturing some primetime viewers with no new scripted television?

Disney says 'Elemental' is the most watched movie premiere of the year on Disney+, surpassing 26.4 million views in its first 5 days of streaming.

Scott Gustin
I find it absolutely wild that Disney is finally releasing these numbers when writers and actors are saying they aren't paid fairly for streams. Seems like shooting itself in the foot. I am all for it though. Hopefully it gives the writers and actors some more bargaining power.

I always know where a movie should be because I pay attention to the industry and which studios own what and make what. Most poeple don't - except for Disney, whcih built itself into a VERY recognizeable brand. That's why it affects them more than some of the others.
Until Iger starts licensing content out to Netflix again :rotfl2:

Every exposure that film has gotten so far has been glowing and endorsements of a return to form from Disney Animation. We shall see if that actually translates.
I'm glad we're seeing actual advertisements for it. Aggressive and early. I think that was a big miss under Chapek with his restructuring. What was Encanto? What was Elemental? We knew nothing about the stories and they have proven to be successful.

Wish is also a princess and a musical. It needs to be a win for Disney and animation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter