Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

The coaster does look really cool (along with Mako) but I can't get anyone I know to go to Seaworld due to them still having orcas/killer whales.
Yeah, this is why I've never been. Feel bad for the orcas. It's not much of a debate anymore that they really shouldn't be in captivity...

From Nat Geo about Orcas: "In January 2019, Kayla died. She was a 30-year-old killer whale living at SeaWorld Orlando. If she’d been living in the wild, she’d likely have lived into her 50s, and possibly as old as 80. Still, Kayla lived longer than any captive-born orca in history." 😭

Yeah, this is why I've never been. Feel bad for the orcas. It's not much of a debate anymore that they really shouldn't be in captivity...

From Nat Geo about Orcas: "In January 2019, Kayla died. She was a 30-year-old killer whale living at SeaWorld Orlando. If she’d been living in the wild, she’d likely have lived into her 50s, and possibly as old as 80. Still, Kayla lived longer than any captive-born orca in history." 😭
Totally agree. I think the documentary Blackfish did A LOT of damage to Seaworld's reputation and the addition of more coasters is good, but not enough for a lot of people unless the park removes all of their orcas. The last time I went to Seaworld, I think I was maybe 10-11 and I remember there being a Shamu show.

<edited>

I love that the live action LM has a more realistic version of red hair. I grew up idolizing Ariel because I loved her hair and I felt like I could see myself in her. And she still exists, she didn’t go anywhere. But I’m also still super excited to see the new movie. Nothing was taken away from me and I think it’s great that the story is getting renewed attention. I think Halle looks AMAZING as Ariel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that the live action LM has a more realistic version of red hair. I grew up idolizing Ariel because I loved her hair and I felt like I could see myself in her. And she still exists, she didn’t go anywhere. But I’m also still super excited to see the new movie. Nothing was taken away from me and I think it’s great that the story is getting renewed attention. I think Halle looks AMAZING as Ariel.

We saw it twice (so far!) Absolutely love it, and Halle IS Ariel !! She is perfect !!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's unfortunate that they continue to keep orcas in captivity, and are actively building a park in Dubai where they plan to have more in captivity.

But oh no... so sad people don't ride the rollercoasters...
I completely agree with the opposition to orca captivity and condemn SeaWorld’s history of orca captivity.

That being said, there have been some inaccuracies shared here on this topic:
SeaWorld Abu Dhabi (which just opened this week) does not and will not have orcas. There is no planned SeaWorld for Dubai.

While I do not support orca captivity, SeaWorld no longer intakes new orcas or facilitates orca breeding. They say that their current orcas will be the last in the parks.

That's unfortunate cause it's a great park.

Totally agree. I think the documentary Blackfish did A LOT of damage to Seaworld's reputation and the addition of more coasters is good, but not enough for a lot of people unless the park removes all of their orcas. The last time I went to Seaworld, I think I was maybe 10-11 and I remember there being a Shamu show.

It's unfortunate that they continue to keep orcas in captivity, and are actively building a park in Dubai where they plan to have more in captivity.

But oh no... so sad people don't ride the rollercoasters...
Sea World is great park with some of the best coasters in Fl.

I love going to Sea World, not only because of the coasters but because I recognize that Sea World is one of the larger marine mammal rescuer and rehabilitator in the world. 24/7... 365 days a year for the last 40+ years, Sea World rescues and rehabilitates marine and terrestrial animals that are ill, injured, orphaned, or abandoned, with the goal of returning them to the wild, to date over 40,000 animals have been helped.

In 2016 Sea World ended their captive breeding program NO MORE ORCAS WILL BE BRED AT SEA WORLD. However there are the remaining whales.... that can live for decades. And despite the warm fuzzy thoughts of just let them go free.... captive bred orcas can never return to the wild.

Last edited:
To change topics. Here is an article I found that may explain why the parks have been quiet this weekend and into summer

https://planneratheart.com/vacation-spots-besides-disney/

"But the disillusionment doesn’t stop there. 68.3% said rampant price increases and nickel and diming have made it feel like Disney World has lost its magic. So parents across the country are making other vacation plans. From wanting to show their kids the world now that borders have re-opened, to showing them the wonder of mother nature, families are saying bye bye to Mickey and Minnie and hello to these vacation destinations."

From people I have talked to WDW is very quiet compared to SeaWorld and Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter