• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

disney just called;error in their system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something here? Why post this quote:

I can't figure out how this has anything to do with Disney selling more reservations than they have rooms.

If the rooms are sold in error of any kind, which most likely would have been the case here, then Disney has the right to modify to reservations. In layman's terms, this clause essentially disavows any guarantee of resort, room-type or much anything else other than a Disney resort room if there is an error of any kind made by Disney.

No one is going to disagree that the resort and room type you book is the one you'd obviously want to stay at, and 99.99% that is the case... but it is provided in the terms and conditions of stay Disney's actual responsibility of substantially deliverying what was reserved - a room at a Disney resort.

Am I missing something here? Why post this quote:

I can't figure out how this has anything to do with Disney selling more reservations than they have rooms.

It's an "error of any kind." I posted that same quote way back on the first or second page, and someone else did after that as well. It's entirely relevant to the situation.

If the rooms are sold in error of any kind, which most likely would have been the case here, then Disney has the right to modify to reservations. In layman's terms, this clause essentially disavows any guarantee of resort, room-type or much anything else other than a Disney resort room if there is an error of any kind made by Disney.

No one is going to disagree that the resort and room type you book is the one you'd obviously want to stay at, and 99.99% that is the case... but it is provided in the terms and conditions of stay Disney's actual responsibility of substantially deliverying what was reserved.

Even the title of the thread states that Disney called it an "error".

Ok my friends.. I've tired to hold my tongue as long as I can, but I need to speak my peace. I am a frequent poster here on the disboards, but I decided to create a new name for this post (I know, I know.. I hate when people do that) because I am a CM at one of these resorts that has been mentioned. I've worked all over at Disney, including in Guest Relations and Concerige and Front Desk locations. Quite frankly, I've seen my share of angry Guests and you know what? The nasty ones who yell the loudest don't get much of anything. I've seen CMs, including managers, go out of their way to see to it that these Guests don't get ANY compensation that they feel they may be entitled to, whether they are in disney's eyes or not. We can leave comments up and down all of your reservations (dining, resort, etc) that say how nasty you are and not to offer compensation. I've also seen enraged guests who wouldn't take no as an answer get hauled out of the park by the Orange County Sheriffs (not just security) and not only had their annual passes revoked, but been TRESSPASSED, baned from disney property for LIFE as their childen bauled their eyes out, hearing that they'd never get to see Mickey again.

Now, that is an extreme case.. but every single day, I get yelled at by people over things that I have absolutely nothing to do with. You angry that you can't get a reservation at chef mickey's for today? Oh, well then maybe you should have booked 6 months ago when everyone else did. Personally I would never say that out loud, but I've heard the person next to me say it. Reading through most of these posts, I hope to God that I don't get most of you at my station. Next week is going to be hard enough with the sheer number of people - if you CHOSE to book during the free dining promotion, so you knew it was going to be busy. Don't tell me about all the money you're spending, because guess what? So is everyone else! We understand that Disney is expensive, but if it's breaking your budget, then you don't need to come at all. Or, stay offsite and visit the parks for less days.

Please believe me when I say I understand. I was a guest who visited every other year for over 20 years before I moved to FL. Most CMs are. We love Disney and want to help create the magic for you. We can't do that, however, if you don't let us. A large number of us also post on these boards regularly. I hope you all know that this thread is being sent around to different CMs and now we are FOR SURE dreading going to work next week. You may be visiting only for a short time, but this is our everyday life. Some CMs may be so overcome by all the anger that they'll just call-in sick next week so they won't have to deal with it. And you know what that does? It just increased your wait time to check-in, or to get your tickets. I'm sorry if any of you felt that you have been wronged, but I do personally know that this issue next week WAS a computer error. Disney does overbook our resorts by a FEW rooms, never by hundreds.

So please, be kind to your CMs next week. We're trying to help you and we do want to make you happy. By all means, throw your tantrum at Pop. After you've been nasty to the wrong CM, they'll delight in "accidentally" cancelling your Ohana or Le Cellier reservation after you walk away. Or even better, after you get dragged away and kicked out of the resort. I would never do that, but I've seen it happen. You're lucky if you get the CM who, gives an eyeroll behind your back and mutters about you paying less than $100 for a room and nothing for dining. If you're upset with a situation, please explain it to us calmly and rationally. We want to correct it for you - we want to make you happy. But please understand that in some cases, there really is nothing we can do. I'm sorry that a Guest who stayed here last week tried to smoke in her room and set off the sprinklers, ruining her room (not to mention her belongings) and the room next to and below hers. (True story - that why we were oversold one night.)

Moral of the story? You get more flies with honey that you do with vinegar.

Have a magical day :)

Although I understand the points you make, I think it's more important to remain professional and do your best to "rise above" the situations that may present themselves next week. More importantly, I think your post, which is clearly "venting" and "blowing off steam," which on the surface is harmless, it's clearly unbecoming of an employee that might represent any company, let alone the Disney brand. Just my opinion.

I'll be at WDW next week. We're supposed to spend one night at Pop since we arrive late in the day, then transfer over to the BWI the next day. I've tried to switch my one night stay at Pop over to BWI, but there is "no room at the Inn" or any other Epcot deluxe. I'm prepared to take whatever is given for the night, where ever that might be.:goodvibes

I too am a Cast Member, and I post regularly here. I agree with the majority of what you're saying: everyone, please keep things in perspective. The frontline Cast Members you'll be working with have nothing to do with resort changes or anything of that sort. Disappointment is understandable, and being upset is something we take to (we are human too!) and will do our very best to turn around. However, rudeness and the taking out of agressions on the Cast Member you work with will yield the same feelings you'd have if someone you'd never even seen before were shouting at you for a situation which you had no part in. For those of us at resorts, we all knew this walking in. It is our day to day reality that we will get yelled at for things that are ultimately not our fault, and most of us really do try to make right what may have happened.

In this particular instance I can guarantee that this was not an intentional situation. Overselling is typical in the service industry, airline flights and hotels being what you hear about most. Disney is not exempt, but these numbers are very small here, generally under one percent per resort (for the sake of numbers, let's say seven at Pop Century), per night of full occupancy... and never purposely are oversold where there wouldn't be comparable or better accommodations on property. Nights that truly are at "full occupancy" are probably about six a year. This situation was most likely the result of resort availability being loaded incorrectly into the system - but I'm not sure of the particulars so I won't speculate. The reality is that we would never intentionally want to oversell by the numbers being talked about here, and with these numbers, the Disney Reservations Center/Outbound Sales is dealing with it at this point, so calling your resort (call center) will not have an impact - they may not be fully aware of the situation. Having said that, and as previously mentioned, all resort reservations have the following Terms and Conditions attached, acceptance implied at the time of reservation, and covers the possibility that your resort accommodation reserved may not be the one you ultimately receive.

On another note, all of the Cast Members I know would never maliciously cancel dining reservations or anything like that - even for guests who are incredibly rude and abusing of us. That's (obviously) not very toward, and in the end, will only cause guests and ourselves more grief - we'll ultimately have that same guest come back yelling and screaming at us louder than they had before. Not something I or my peers want. Fact of the matter is that we will try to comply to requests where-ever we can, including attempts to get you that impossible reservation at Le Cellier. We may not get it, but we will at least try, even in the face of rudeness.

Please, be nice to those Cast Members who try to assist you. If you're an affected guest, I'm truly sorry for this situation, but again, try to be kind. If you can imagine all the anger/disappointment you may have and then multiply it by ten, then apply it liberally everyday to those are trying to assist you... you can probably imagine that what we do isn't the easiest thing in the world. In-spite of that, many of us still come in with a smile on our faces and try to make vacations as magical as they can be every day - I know I do.

Please don't take it out on the CM's . Everyone needs to put on there big boy and girl undies and not get upset. I'm one that would have moved with nothing extra but that is me. As long as my step son's room was moved also. Heck I didn't even ask for us to be close together as long as we are at the same resort. I can understand people being upset about the move to a different resort. We love pop but I don't think the All Starts are that much off. I haven't read threw the entire thread but I feel bad that cm's are not looking forward to next week.

We need some Disney magic on this thread.

I focused on the part of that quote that states, "where it appears that a Guest has engaged in fraudulent or misleading activity in making the room reservation." I just didn't see where that fit into this situation; whatever the error is, it doesn't sound as if a guest caused it.

But that being said, it sounds like people who were booked by the error are the ones who should be moved.

What a great story, and I'm so glad they went the extra distance to be sure your Mom had what she needed in terms of view and convenience. Back to the OP in this thread- I'm sure when she explained about the reason for this trip and her husband's military service, that prompted the CM to also go the distance for her. Maybe there weren't many upgraded rooms available but out of all the guests, why not help someone who is serving our country? I guess I feel that Military guests and those that are gravely ill deserve a bit more than others in terms of finding that bit of pixie dust. ---Kathy

I agree about the gravely ill, but not the military. "Noble" as it may be it still is, in the end, a career choice. The life and death situations they are put in are by their own choice. The sick don't choose to be sick.

As for the OP. Things happen. does it suck yeah but are you being accommodated YES! Disney called you in advance to fix the error. If your order is wrong at a restaurant do you request the most expensive item on the menu? No, so why would you deserve a deluxe upgrade? :confused3
And in the end you picked to stay at a value. If you wanted a deluxe then you should have booked that.
O have noticed that with expedia and other travel booking agents like it, there have been a few more over bookings at the World. I wonder if this may be the culprit here.

Although I understand the points you make, I think it's more important to remain professional and do your best to "rise above" the situations that may present themselves next week. More importantly, I think your post, which is clearly "venting" and "blowing off steam," which on the surface is harmless, it's clearly unbecoming of an employee that might represent any company, let alone the Disney brand. Just my opinion.

That is my opinion as well. The underlying tones sound like threats. "Be nice to us or we'll call the police on you." Does not sound like the Disney CMs I am used to.

On the other hand, if you truly are a CM and not one of the other PPs posting as a CM, I truly feel sympathy for you as well. I wish you lots of luck next week. Agree with a PP ...please do not take it out on the CM checking you in. Write and complain to the upper echelons if you have to vent your anger.

BTW, I am not affected by the POP overbooking issue. Just empathizing with those who are and very surprised by DIS'ers who are snickering at others' disappointments.

"So please, be kind to your CMs next week. We're trying to help you and we do want to make you happy. By all means, throw your tantrum at Pop. After you've been nasty to the wrong CM, they'll delight in "accidentally" cancelling your Ohana or Le Cellier reservation after you walk away."

I sure hope your joking ?????? :eek:

That is my opinion as well. The underlying tones sound like threats. "Be nice to us or we'll call the police on you." Does not sound like the Disney CMs I am used to.

On the other hand, if you truly are a CM and not one of the other PPs posting as a CM, I truly feel sympathy for you as well. I wish you lots of luck next week. Agree with a PP ...please do not take it out on the CM checking you in. Write and complain to the upper echelons if you have to vent your anger.

BTW, I am not affected by the POP overbooking issue. Just empathizing with those who are and very surprised by DIS'ers who are snickering at others' disappointments.

Thanks for removing my user name from your original post. I apologize if you interpreted any of my posts as snickering or posing as a CM. If I came across that way, I apologize. I emphasized with the OP and even said she handled it politely and in my first post on page 15, I suggested that it be handled nicely. I even stated that I would probably ask for a change or something else, but would probably accept it once it's done. I mentioned that I was quite surprised that people could be so rude in person when responding to the CM who posted and then went on to tell another poster affected that I understand that she didn't like seeing others post about upgrades.

I try my best not to post rude posts, but sometimes the written word can be misinterpreted as there is no body language. I don't disagree that I have a different opinion than many on this thread, but I still respect everyone's opinion nonetheless.

I still believe that this whole situation has been blown out of proportion and just wanted to state that expecting Disney to perform miracles isn't going to happen every time. I've had to write a few letters over the years to Disney expressing our disappointment about a particular aspect of something. Only once was I truly disappointed with their response, but I knew that I was asking for something that wasn't going to be fixed to my liking unless they heard from a large number of guests on the issue. I understand that's how businesses operate and in that situation, I still booked a Disney cruise the following week even though I was unhappy with how we Silver castaway club members were treated.

Just empathizing with those who are and very surprised by DIS'ers who are snickering at others' disappointments.
I don't think ANYONE is "snickering at others' disappointments" or saying guests shouldn't be upset or disappointed.

A guest in this situation has a limited amount of choices...
1) Accept the move to AS and try to make the best of it.
2) Politely decline the move and ask for something else.
3) Raise a stink and INSIST Disney "make it right" by bumping up to a mod/deluxe/DVC.
4) Accept the move to ANY other hotel, but be so upset you're not staying in the resort of choice, that it ruins the vacation.
5) Move off site.

I think those who you quantify as "snickering" are actually advocating #1 & #2. IMO, #3-5 aren't valid options.

I don't think ANYONE is "snickering at others' disappointments" or saying guests shouldn't be upset or disappointed.

A guest in this situation has a limited amount of choices...
1) Accept the move to AS and try to make the best of it.
2) Politely decline the move and ask for something else.
3) Raise a stink and INSIST Disney "make it right" by bumping up to a mod/deluxe/DVC.
4) Accept the move to ANY other hotel, but be so upset you're not staying in the resort of choice, that it ruins the vacation.
5) Move off site.

I think those who you quantify as "snickering" are actually advocating #1 & #2. IMO, #3-5 aren't valid options.

Thank you for saying it more eloquently than I did.:thumbsup2

To the OP...that really bites. Hope you're able to resolve it in a manner that makes YOU happy, whatever that may be. Regardless of anyone's opinion as to what Disney does or doesnt owe you for the mistake, the bottom line is that you spent quite a bit of your hard earned $ on this vacation and you want it to be what you want it to be, not to have any disappointing element!
We're staying at a moderate for the first time for our trip to WDW...we're staying at CSR, and the ONLY reason we picked that one is because its the only mod with queens instead of doubles, if a screw up like that happened and we were switched to another mod resort and stuck in double beds it'd be a total dealbreaker for us!

I don't have a dog in this hunt either, but I am surprised at people's attitudes. WDW did offer an "upgrade." Technically, a preferred room is an upgrade. As many have pointed out, they are not even required to offer that. I find it funny how everyone is adamant that they chose Pop for the theme, and they don't want to be anywhere because they want that theme only, and that their kids are crying because they only want the Pop theme, but the "need" for that theme is completely thrown out the window when they are offered an upgrade to a higher level resort. Same goes for resort size. Would I be disappointed that I was bumped from my chosen resort, yes. Would it ruin my vacation, no. Would I be angry that I wasn't offered something I didn't pay for, no.

The way I look at it, everyone was lucky that WDW contacted them ahead of time. According to the contract they could have just waited until you checked in and said "sorry, we are overbooked, you have been moved to X." At that point you would have been stuck with whatever was offered.

I don't have a dog in this hunt either, but I am surprised at people's attitudes. WDW did offer an "upgrade." Technically, a preferred room is an upgrade. As many have pointed out, they are not even required to offer that. I find it funny how everyone is adamant that they chose Pop for the theme, and they don't want to be anywhere because they want that theme only, and that their kids are crying because they only want the Pop theme, but the "need" for that theme is completely thrown out the window when they are offered an upgrade to a higher level resort. Same goes for resort size. Would I be disappointed that I was bumped from my chosen resort, yes. Would it ruin my vacation, no. Would I be angry that I wasn't offered something I didn't pay for, no.

The way I look at it, everyone was lucky that WDW contacted them ahead of time. According to the contract they could have just waited until you checked in and said "sorry, we are overbooked, you have been moved to X." At that point you would have been stuck with whatever was offered.

:thumbsup2

And watch their public perception plummet and lose more ground to Universal.

You may not agree with the folks that are bargaining for more, but that doesn't give any of you the right to cast your 'shame' upon them. When Disney changes the terms of my reservation, I have every right to request something in return, or walk away. Disney's choice. And my entire family has no problem taking my money to Universal if Disney so chooses.

JeepChick & WavyGravy....

Thank you so much for all you do as CMs! Please tell me, is there something I can do to make the CMs I come in contact with next week feel extra special during this time of frenzied chaos?

To a PP, (I do not remember who it was, sorry) when I originally posted my upgrade status, it was not to dangle a carrot in front of anyone's face. Until I read this thread, we knew nothing of the error. The call was totally unexpected, no mention of an error was made. We're going to celebrate my daughter's first birthday; I truly believed my move to CR was just "Disney Magic."

I'd suggest a "Meet & Greet" for all of us, but wouldn't want anyone discuss reparations, turn green and ruin their vacation. Everything happens for a reason. Roll with the punches and have a fantastic vacation. And yes, I'd be saying the same thing if we were moved to AS. Read my signature...All-Star Movies convinced me to never stay off-property again.

Ok my friends.. I've tired to hold my tongue as long as I can, but I need to speak my peace. I am a frequent poster here on the disboards, but I decided to create a new name for this post (I know, I know.. I hate when people do that) because I am a CM at one of these resorts that has been mentioned. I've worked all over at Disney, including in Guest Relations and Concerige and Front Desk locations. Quite frankly, I've seen my share of angry Guests and you know what? The nasty ones who yell the loudest don't get much of anything. I've seen CMs, including managers, go out of their way to see to it that these Guests don't get ANY compensation that they feel they may be entitled to, whether they are in disney's eyes or not. We can leave comments up and down all of your reservations (dining, resort, etc) that say how nasty you are and not to offer compensation. I've also seen enraged guests who wouldn't take no as an answer get hauled out of the park by the Orange County Sheriffs (not just security) and not only had their annual passes revoked, but been TRESSPASSED, baned from disney property for LIFE as their childen bauled their eyes out, hearing that they'd never get to see Mickey again.

Now, that is an extreme case.. but every single day, I get yelled at by people over things that I have absolutely nothing to do with. You angry that you can't get a reservation at chef mickey's for today? Oh, well then maybe you should have booked 6 months ago when everyone else did. Personally I would never say that out loud, but I've heard the person next to me say it. Reading through most of these posts, I hope to God that I don't get most of you at my station. Next week is going to be hard enough with the sheer number of people - if you CHOSE to book during the free dining promotion, so you knew it was going to be busy. Don't tell me about all the money you're spending, because guess what? So is everyone else! We understand that Disney is expensive, but if it's breaking your budget, then you don't need to come at all. Or, stay offsite and visit the parks for less days.

Please believe me when I say I understand. I was a guest who visited every other year for over 20 years before I moved to FL. Most CMs are. We love Disney and want to help create the magic for you. We can't do that, however, if you don't let us. A large number of us also post on these boards regularly. I hope you all know that this thread is being sent around to different CMs and now we are FOR SURE dreading going to work next week. You may be visiting only for a short time, but this is our everyday life. Some CMs may be so overcome by all the anger that they'll just call-in sick next week so they won't have to deal with it. And you know what that does? It just increased your wait time to check-in, or to get your tickets. I'm sorry if any of you felt that you have been wronged, but I do personally know that this issue next week WAS a computer error. Disney does overbook our resorts by a FEW rooms, never by hundreds.

So please, be kind to your CMs next week. We're trying to help you and we do want to make you happy. By all means, throw your tantrum at Pop. After you've been nasty to the wrong CM, they'll delight in "accidentally" cancelling your Ohana or Le Cellier reservation after you walk away. Or even better, after you get dragged away and kicked out of the resort. I would never do that, but I've seen it happen. You're lucky if you get the CM who, gives an eyeroll behind your back and mutters about you paying less than $100 for a room and nothing for dining. If you're upset with a situation, please explain it to us calmly and rationally. We want to correct it for you - we want to make you happy. But please understand that in some cases, there really is nothing we can do. I'm sorry that a Guest who stayed here last week tried to smoke in her room and set off the sprinklers, ruining her room (not to mention her belongings) and the room next to and below hers. (True story - that why we were oversold one night.)

Moral of the story? You get more flies with honey that you do with vinegar.

Have a magical day :)

Wow. I think you assume a lot. Just because someone vents on these boards doesn't mean they would treat a CM poorly. I understand there are awful people to deal with, but I didn't read much on this thread that sounded like "awful" people. I doubt the people who posted on this thread will be the ones the CM's working next week have to worry about.

Personally, I would probably be disappointed, but satisfied if Disney made an effort to "take the sting out" as one poster mentioned. It can't be that hard :confused3. A move to a nicer resort is the optimum choice, but even a token effort would satisfy many people. I think most customers just want to feel like a company cares about them enough to make the effort.

Good luck to any CMs that will be dealing with this. I'm sure it is a terrible situation from your standpoint as well. I wish all of you the best, and sincerely appreciate the efforts you make for us!

Oh, I can see some bean counter at Disney reading this going, hey that isn't a bad idea. The next thing you will see is Disney doing a survey that asks you if you would be willing to let them pick your resort for a slightly discounted rate.:rolleyes1

:scared1: I sure as heck hope not!!!!:scared1:

Not trying to crack open another can of worms, but...

With all this resort swapping due to over booking, should those of us using ME be concerned about our luggage making it to the right hotel? I think the CM I talked to said that the bar code on the tag would suffice. Maybe I'll take the baby's things as a carry-on so at least she will be OK if something happens to our luggage.
:confused3

I heard in 2012 Disney will consider WDW as ONE LARGE CRUISE SHIP !
Everyone will get dining like it or not included in you package.... A total of 101 new places to eat will be constructed in 2010 :rotfl::rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter