• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

disney just called;error in their system

Status
Not open for further replies.
The primary difference with airlines overbooking and offering compensation is that you are not immediately put onto another plane at the same time. Because there will be a delay in your travel, there is more at stake.

If the number is in the 400 room range, it's not "normal" overbooking. Whatever happened, it was NOT intentional.

I arrive at Pop on Sunday, preferred room and upgraded from quick service to DXDP. I have not received a call and would not take a room at all star resort either. I have stayed at them and the only value my DD wants to stay at is Pop. I cannot believe that there was a 400 room error. That is unbelievable. I prefer to stay at a moderate my my DD wanted to do DXDP this time so the money actually equaled out.

It's good customer service to offer something (upgrade, extra tickets, breakfast) when resorts overbook. Since Disney doesn't really care about that and people just sit there and take it, they probably won't do anything but give the op another room at another value resort even if she doesn't like it. I've been overbooked at hotels before and the hotel not only gave me another equivalent hotel with an upgraded room, but they threw in free breakfast for my stay. Disney would never do that. Ever.

It's good customer service to offer something (upgrade, extra tickets, breakfast) when resorts overbook. Since Disney doesn't really care about that and people just sit there and take it, they probably won't do anything but give the op another room at another value resort even if she doesn't like it. I've been overbooked at hotels before and the hotel not only gave me another equivalent hotel with an upgraded room, but they threw in free breakfast for my stay. Disney would never do that. Ever.

Actually Disney often upgrades guests when resorts are overbooked. If you check out the entire thread you will see that the Op is going to be moved to SSR. Her move is not an isolated event as Disney has been moving guests during the last several years that they have offered Free Dining.

I believe that part of the issue is that there was a huge problem and Disney overbooked over 400 rooms during Free dining when then the Mods and Deluxe resorts were offered a different DDP then those folks who booked with Values so I bet the Mods were fully booked.

I think part of the problem is they just don't have any rooms to upgrade people to. We are booked into the all star music into a family suite from Aug 20-28th. I thought with all the over booking at the pop that it would just be too crazy so I tried to upgrade. There was just nothing available.

I wonder if you do the online check in if you have less of a chance of "getting that phone call"?:confused3

Yes,many but NOT ALL the rooms at Pop are finished, so indeed some guests will get an "old" room at Pop complete with dirty carpet and uncomfortable beds. I wouldn't have taken the chance to book there prior to the entire resort being completed. ASMovies was the most recently renovated, before that was ASSports and before that ASMusic. We much prefer ASMusic to Pop- new comfy beds vs. the miserable saggy ones, family activities such as poolside movies, bingo, hoola-hoop contests, games, etc. The rooms there are gorgeous and we stayed there a month ago- there is nothing inferior about the rooms.---Kathy

First off, I plan on asking for new Pop rooms for our trip, but if one is not available, I'll be O.K. knowing that 2003 is the oldest our rooms can possibly be.

Secondly, I've stayed at Pop twice and did NOT have dirty carpets or uncomfortable beds in either room.

Third, it's news to me that AS Movies was recently renovated. I haven't seen that mentioned on any boards, and yes, I have looked.

Fourth, I never had a "miserable saggy bed" at Pop. We even got a brand new, very comfortable mattress in the middle of our stay there in 2008.

Fifth, there are resort activities at Pop. I'm pretty certain all the WDW resorts have them.

Six, it's great for you that you like AS Music better than Pop. If I felt that way, I would have booked AS Music too. I booked Pop on a bounceback offer last year. Disney got a $200 deposit from me last September, and the balance was paid off this spring. I am really glad we're arriving early in the day next week. Hopefully, we will get the rooms we requested (4th floor, Building 6, lake side) without any problems.

And last, may I just say that it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people post that we should feel fortunate to be at Disney? :rolleyes: There is someone in my group who is very fortunate to even be alive at this point. All of us feel very fortunate we still have each other, with or without any Disney trip.

We could have chosen to go to an inclusive resort in Mexico for a little more than what we're paying Disney, but we chose WDW and to stay at Pop, so hopefully, Disney delivers on its end.

Well, I'm waaaaay late chiming in, but anyway...

If Disney did this to me, I'd be so mad my head would spin around!!
Yes, the All Stars are technically the same "resort category" but everyone knows there is no comparison with Pop. I would stay off-site ten miles away in a Motel 6 before I'd stay in the All Stars ( which I think Disney should re-name the Arm Pits)

It's funny to me that whenever the discussion of upgrades comes up on this board, people always jump in and say "You should just book the resort you want and not hope for an upgrade". Here we have A LOT of people who clearly booked the resort they want, and now we have people jumping in saying Disney can put them where ever they want.
Sorry...baaaad business. And notice that this is being done long after the pay in full and refund dates have passed.

People choose their resort for all kinds of reasons, and sometimes a change won't work for them. For example in December I'm staying at Pop for a couple days with my 75 year old Mother (split stay with Poly). The short walking distances at Pop are one of the reasons we're going there and being put somewhere else could have been VERY hard on my Mom....

I just feel for those whose vacations will be negatively effected by this and I'm happy for those who don't have a problem switching.

The "compactness" of Pop is one of many reasons why we like the resort, Tallen, so I know exactly what you mean.

There is one more thing I need to say--we don't know for a fact that Pop is overbooked by 400 rooms. A CM told someone that, but phone CMs are infamous for giving out false information.

For example, look at the refurbed Pop room thread. Someone talked to a CM who gave them a schedule that has turned out to be quite inaccurate. According to the poster who talked to the CM, the 60s buildings weren't supposed to be redone in the foreseeable future. Yet, there are reports here that work was begun in Building 5 (60s) before any of the buildings in the 50s. That "schedule" is just not the truth, so I have serious doubts about "400 rooms" being overbooked.

I'm glad the OP got something she was happy with.

Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago where they closed down half the AKV's concierge rooms and moved my DH and myself (wedding anniversary trip) to SSR. Or rather they tried to move us to SSR. (We are DVC) They wanted to give me a studio there instead of the concierge room I booked at 11 months out. I was more than mad, I was soo upset. I refused the room. It was not long before we were to leave to get there and they were changing everything. We did not even have park days planned, most of what we wanted to do was right there at AKV's. I think I had due right to be upset and at least move somewhere that was comparative. SSR studio's are not comparative at all. After a lot of back and forth, we ended up at BW Hotel with concierge cards but it was quite a walk to get there from our room, nothing like opening your door to it. We also got a pirates chest full of chocolate and trinkets, very fun and cute to look at. I was appreciative that they tried to make up for it after the fact but it took a lot of work to get something I felt was comparative. It Still changed the whole trip, not as relaxing at BW as it is at AKV's.

Well, I'm waaaaay late chiming in, but anyway...

If Disney did this to me, I'd be so mad my head would spin around!!
Yes, the All Stars are technically the same "resort category" but everyone knows there is no comparison with Pop. I would stay off-site ten miles away in a Motel 6 before I'd stay in the All Stars ( which I think Disney should re-name the Arm Pits)

It's funny to me that whenever the discussion of upgrades comes up on this board, people always jump in and say "You should just book the resort you want and not hope for an upgrade". Here we have A LOT of people who clearly booked the resort they want, and now we have people jumping in saying Disney can put them where ever they want.
Sorry...baaaad business. And notice that this is being done long after the pay in full and refund dates have passed.

People choose their resort for all kinds of reasons, and sometimes a change won't work for them. For example in December I'm staying at Pop for a couple days with my 75 year old Mother (split stay with Poly). The short walking distances at Pop are one of the reasons we're going there and being put somewhere else could have been VERY hard on my Mom....

I just feel for those whose vacations will be negatively effected by this and I'm happy for those who don't have a problem switching.

I agree with your last statement, but have to add a differing view on the All Stars.
The "Arm Pits" are your opinion and I realize that is your opinion to state but to some people they are A-what they like or B-what they can afford or C-people like us, both what we like and can afford. When you say something like that it makes people who have not been there think it is fact. Well I disagree and while yes, that is only my opinion, that means it isn't a fact.
We have not stayed at POP, but we have friends who go down the same time as us each year and they stay there so we have gone over to visit and have dinner. We prefer our food court and enjoy things like the movies at the pool that they can't participate in. So it is all a matter pf preference.
But I worry about a new family, going on their first trip reading posts like this who now worry that their trip will be ruined by staying in the slums or something. I just have to say if any are reading that not everyone agrees. We absolutely love the All Stars, we find them to always be clean and fun and very welcoming.
And we too are traveling with older adults, my grandparents have gone on all our Disney trips with us but one. They are 73 and they prefer the layout at the All Stars over Pop, just again to give the other side in case others are reading this for advise.

Like I said, of course you are intitled to your opinions and I am not saying they are wrong, but these are mine for anyone who may want to hear the other side.

Thank you so much.!! I did not expect a debate on this. Things happen all the time.

Disney call me back. I told them I didn't want all stars resorts because of all the kids(the tour groups and bussing)( We stayed at pop last year and pop is a mixture of couples and families.) Then they said when we check in they will let me know where I was gong. I said, That is not fair to me. I would like to know now. I also, said, I am willing to move but to all stars. The castmember was very nice and so was I. I did explain my situation why we are going. So, 20 minutes later, they called me back and they are moving me Saratogo Springs Resort in a studio. I thanked her over and over. She was extemely nice and understood my situation.

Saratoga Spings is a huge resort and I don't care for that. But I am very thankful for Disney trying to make me happy. So now, I am trying to learn everything about this resort.lol

I am so glad it all worked out for you and Cory, you guys deserve this vacatioin to be just right!

SSR is a lovely resort you will have a great time. The resort is spread out but its a very well laid out resort and easy to get around. I am glad Disney made this right for you.:)

Snape said:
It's good customer service to offer something (upgrade, extra tickets, breakfast) when resorts overbook. Since Disney doesn't really care about that
:confused3 Well, first, I can't see where "Disney doesn't really care..."; but moving Guests from Standard location rooms at one Value resort to Preferred location rooms at [that or] another Value resort IS an upgrade.

Extra tickets? Cost comes out of a different 'bucket'. Breakfast? Not everybody eats breakfast. Plus, frankly, with the dissatisfaction indicated in this thread by people not even affected, 'just extra tickets' or 'just breakfast' wouldn't be enough. It wouldn't be the LEAST bit surprising if people who had the minimum-necessary two-day base tickets demanded ten-day non-expiring wp&m hoppers, or even APs, to make up for the inconvenience; or if people who were offered a free breakfast instead demanded Chef Table at Victoria & Alberts.

JerseyJanice said:
Fifth, there are resort activities at Pop. I'm pretty certain all the WDW resorts have them.
Well, there's stopping everything to do the Hustle once or several times a day on a schedule; and I've seen CMs at Luggage Assistance play with hula hoops with whoever wants... but nothing like the organized, scheduled activities at the All Stars.

I agree with your last statement, but have to add a differing view on the All Stars.
The "Arm Pits" are your opinion and I realize that is your opinion to state but to some people they are A-what they like or B-what they can afford or C-people like us, both what we like and can afford. When you say something like that it makes people who have not been there think it is fact. Well I disagree and while yes, that is only my opinion, that means it isn't a fact.
We have not stayed at POP, but we have friends who go down the same time as us each year and they stay there so we have gone over to visit and have dinner. We prefer our food court and enjoy things like the movies at the pool that they can't participate in. So it is all a matter pf preference.
But I worry about a new family, going on their first trip reading posts like this who now worry that their trip will be ruined by staying in the slums or something. I just have to say if any are reading that not everyone agrees. We absolutely love the All Stars, we find them to always be clean and fun and very welcoming.
And we too are traveling with older adults, my grandparents have gone on all our Disney trips with us but one. They are 73 and they prefer the layout at the All Stars over Pop, just again to give the other side in case others are reading this for advise.

Like I said, of course you are intitled to your opinions and I am not saying they are wrong, but these are mine for anyone who may want to hear the other side.

I agree with everything you said.

Pop is a great resort, however other than having a lake, in my opinion it has nothing over the All Stars. The new rooms will be great Pop just as the new rooms at Sports and Music already have been for a couple of years.

All Star Music is laid out differently, but the other two are laid out much in the same way Pop is. I don't see how Pop can be called compact when it has around 1000 more rooms than each individual All Star resort.

I have stayed at all four values resorts and they are all nice. I have never thought of the All Stars as some sort of poor relation to Pop Century. Just differently themed and differently located. But we are all different and have different tastes and wants.

The tour groups at the All Stars can be annyoing, but we have had that at Pop as well. Bascially values attract groups and I have seen them and not seen them at all the values.

Just my opinion and nothing to do with the fact of this thread since the OP happily got put into a resort that will hopefully fit her needs better. Since she is getting deluxe accomodations for a value price, I'd say she did pretty well and I am happy for her!

Well, there's stopping everything to do the Hustle once or several times a day on a schedule; and I've seen CMs at Luggage Assistance play with hula hoops with whoever wants... but nothing like the organized, scheduled activities at the All Stars.

Whether it's doing the Hustle or the lifeguards playing "Minnie, Mickey" with the kids in the pool, all of the WDW resorts we've stayed at provide some form of organized recreation. I'm sure the quality and quantity of that recreation varies from resort to resort, but in any event, it's one of the last things I personally would consider in choosing a resort. It's not something that would matter in the slightest to my family.

Different things have different meanings for different people. Back around 2000, the Polynesian Resort redid their pool and had some other construction going on that prevented them from lighting the Tiki torches for a few weeks. If I ever book the Polynesian and don't get Tiki torches, I'll be fit to be tied! The Polynesian would be a big splurge for us, and I have a wonderful memory of visiting there at night when I was a child with my now-deceased mother and father. I loved the look of those torches and would be looking forward to seeing them at night if I stayed there.

Anyway, I'm mentioning this because I remember threads back then where people were posting that having no torches wasn't a big deal and shouldn't ruin anyone's trip, but I didn't agree. It would ruin mine if that's where I were staying. Different strokes and all that...

I have to disagree with this post. Disney prides itself on customer service. That is one of the biggest reasons why they are the most successful theme park in the world. When we visit disney we always stay at the GF. Last year I took my parent's with us. My mom has lung cancer and cannot do extreme amounts of walking so she really doesn't visit the parks, but enjoys being in disney with her Granddaughter (Character meals, pool, etc). Because of this situation I requested a Garden View room in Big Pine Key, which aside from Sugarloaf (Concierge) is the most centrally located building. At Checkin we were told the only Garden View rooms avaialable were in Conch Key (Very Far Away). Without getting angry, I calmly explained the stituation to the cast member and within five minutes they had a lagoon view room in Big pine Key for us. We also received a nice chocolate basket in our room that night, with an apolgy for the inconvenience. So I do believe that Disney does pride itself on customer service!!!!!!!!

You provide an excellent "alternate opinion" and I think it's good for readers to hear.
Disney having so many on-property resorts means there is (almost) always something for everyone!
To be frank, there are only a handful of properties I choose to stay at for various reasons.

I have to disagree with this post. Disney prides itself on customer service. That is one of the biggest reasons why they are the most successful theme park in the world. When we visit disney we always stay at the GF. Last year I took my parent's with us. My mom has lung cancer and cannot do extreme amounts of walking so she really doesn't visit the parks, but enjoys being in disney with her Granddaughter (Character meals, pool, etc). Because of this situation I requested a Garden View room in Big Pine Key, which aside from Sugarloaf (Concierge) is the most centrally located building. At Checkin we were told the only Garden View rooms avaialable were in Conch Key (Very Far Away). Without getting angry, I calmly explained the stituation to the cast member and within five minutes they had a lagoon view room in Big pine Key for us. We also received a nice chocolate basket in our room that night, with an apolgy for the inconvenience. So I do believe that Disney does pride itself on customer service!!!!!!!!

You're right - Disney does "pride" itself on customer service and we've all been taught to expect it. That's why I've been so upset about this situation. I hope that Disney continues with their tradition of great customer service and does the right thing with everybody who is not satisfied with the forced resort change. Even if there are no other resorts available, there are things they can offer guests for the "inconvenience." A little creativity would go a long way to ensure customer satisfaction.

If people are really concerend if they are going to be moved. Just go to the disney websight and just see if there is avilability for your dates under a rack rate room. Everything looks pretty available for my dates. I don't have a probelm being moved but my reservation is free dinnig threw disney. My step son's is threw orbitz and just a room only. I jsut want to make sure we are staying at the same hotel. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter