Disney Intentionality

I read your OP last night and even looked up the definition of the word, but I was still lost.:rotfl:

One of the big differences between WDW and our local Cedar Fair park (Kings Island) is the attitude of the employees. Now, part of that may have something to do with their age because there are a lot more young people (high school/early college) working at KI. At WDW, the CMs interact with guests far more than they do at KI. CMs often strike up conversations with people about where they are from, how old they are, etc. I would think a lot of that attitude comes from how Disney trains their CMs. You don't get that type of interaction at a smaller local park.

Did I answer your question with an appropriate response?:rotfl:

I think this is a fair question. Simply put, what makes Disney magical to the point people want to go back year after year.

For me, it began when I watched Mickey Mouse Club and Wonderful World of Color. I pretty much loved Walt Disney and the shows he put on the air. Then, going to Disneyland when I was a teen, he was doing technology that wasn't seen or even heard of anywhere else. That was the beginning. Fast forward to now and Disney parks are cleaner than other parks, waiting in lines is not as bad with the innovative often interactive queuing areas, the shows, parades and fireworks are (for the most part) broadway caliber, the theming and attention to detail in every area is astounding. Beyond that, the CMs are the best I've ever encountered anywhere, the service is (again for the most part) in a class all it's own. In short, you can count on your experience at a Disney park to be beyond anything you may have expected to encounter.

Example: Last Dec. our luggage was sent to San Francisco instead of Orlando. Home airport's mistake, not Disney's. The person in charge of bell services at POFQ told us to go to the parks and enjoy ourselves and they would totally take care of tracking down our luggage. He comped us money to buy things we needed to tide us over until our bag arrived. He stressed that he did not want this setback to keep us from enjoying every minute of our stay. What other hotel outside of Disney would do that? None that I know of.

Researching ideas. By intentionality, I am refering to the disney culture. Disney takes the top 6 attendance spots for theme park attendance in the US. There are only 6 disney parks in the US. That is a full sweep. People will compare the six flags parks withe parks like the one in Hershey, Penn., or dollywood, or cederville, etc. However, when talking about Disney, it consistently is seen as head and shoulders above the rest. It is by and far the standard bearer. This is not an accident.

Disney World is where it is at, because of intentional decision making and planning. My question to everyone basically is, where have you seen Disney intentionally go above and beyond general expectations? How did that change the experience for you? How did it make the difference? Disney has a mission statement. Most people do not know it. However, Disney has created such a culture that most could guess what the mission statement is and be pretty darn close. How, in your opinion, are they able to do it?

That's easy - tons and tons of money. Particularly the tons and tons of money that drive the advertizing department. Just look at how many people here feel that you aren't doing your job as a parent if they aren't taking their kids to WDW every year. The budget board is full of people posting about settling their credit card debt for pennies on the dollar, but have several recent (and future) trips listed in their signatures. That is the result of fantastic advertizing.

As far as comparing WDW to other parks goes, The only other park I've spent a significant amount of time in is Holiday World. Honestly the only advantage WDW has over Holiday World is money. HW is cleaner, the food is cheaper, parking is free, soft drinks are free, sunscreen is free, customer service is better, and the employees are at least as friendly as WDW, but they simply do not have the money to advertize so heavily that they become part of the American psyche. And - more importantly - they didn't have the money to start doing it in the 1950s the way Disney did.

Really interesting comments. Smitch425 & disneychic2 have focused on CMs. WOuld anyone else put the 'disney difference' as a result, not of facilities or technology, but is the customer service standards of disney CMs.

I guess it might be like repeatedly eating at a restaurant with good,but not great food. However, there is a waiter/waitress there that goes above and beyond, and they make the experience better.

The CMs arent perfect, and believe me, there are some bad ones (lol), but by and large, the CMs are amazing employees in providing a great experience for guests. Disney does an amazing job at finding and training people to be great in their job.

As a side note: on my last vacation, a CM came over during lunch to talk to my then 4 yo and ask him about his day. Then, he came back with a dessert (and whats really awesome, a certificate). It made the day for my son. The CM didnt have to do that, but he did, and it was awesome. I hear stuff like that on here all the time.

Alesia also makes a good point in reminding me that not everyone drinks the Disney cool-aid. Alesia sees in from a monetary perspective.

If Disney didnt have their money, but did have their business practices, would they still find success? or no?

Also, if you had to guess what the Disney mission statement is, would what you say it is?

A thread like this might belong, and survive longer, on the Community board, which has no topic guidelines, other than no discussions on not-allowed topics. When you reposted your closed thread from here on the community, they deleted it, rather than closing it as was done here. This thread has nothing to do with theme park planning, and most likely will be closed or deleted. A repost on the community has a better chance at surviving.

Really interesting comments. Smitch425 & disneychic2 have focused on CMs. WOuld anyone else put the 'disney difference' as a result, not of facilities or technology, but is the customer service standards of disney CMs.

Smitch425 focused on CMs, but most of disneychic2's post centered on the financial aspects (particularly those things which first drew her in: )

For me, it began when I watched Mickey Mouse Club and Wonderful World of Color. I pretty much loved Walt Disney and the shows he put on the air. Then, going to Disneyland when I was a teen, he was doing technology that wasn't seen or even heard of anywhere else. That was the beginning. Fast forward to now and Disney parks are cleaner than other parks, waiting in lines is not as bad with the innovative often interactive queuing areas, the shows, parades and fireworks are (for the most part) broadway caliber, the theming and attention to detail in every area is astounding.

I'm still kind of confused by the OP, but what puts Disney above other parks is the attention to detail. A lot of rides by themselves are very basic rides, Splash Mountain would be like any other log flume ride, but instead of just going up and then down right away, they take you through a whole story. You just don't get that at other parks.

Been thinking about this....
I will send OP a PM so as not to violate board rules...
but I think it starts long before anyone actually sets foot at WDW. The movies and books by Disney create a magical land, that mostly only children will "believe" exists. Then you arrive at WDW and there it all is!

Now consider an adult who "believes in a magical land" (heaven?)...
How I feel entering WDW is how I would expect to feel entering heaven!

Apologies for the wrong abbreviations... it was late, meant the disney world resort complex.

Researching ideas. By intentionality, I am refering to the disney culture. Disney takes the top 6 attendance spots for theme park attendance in the US. There are only 6 disney parks in the US. That is a full sweep. People will compare the six flags parks withe parks like the one in Hershey, Penn., or dollywood, or cederville, etc. However, when talking about Disney, it consistently is seen as head and shoulders above the rest. It is by and far the standard bearer. This is not an accident.

Disney World is where it is at, because of intentional decision making and planning. My question to everyone basically is, where have you seen Disney intentionally go above and beyond general expectations? How did that change the experience for you? How did it make the difference? Disney has a mission
statement. Most people do not know it. However, Disney has created such a culture that most could guess what the mission statement is and be pretty darn close. How, in your opinion, are they able to do it.

Basically, what intentional attentions short and long term have made disney the bext vacation place ever?

And, yes, this is a variation of a post from yesterday, but not being naughty. The original post was in relation to the church in general. Did not realize and
found out that no religious discussion is allowed. Still, the concepts in the book I read were very interesting. So, I took out all of the religious aspects of the discussion. I dont want this discussion to focus on church or faith in any way. I just want to focus on the Disney culture and life. I am not trying to sidestep the rules in any way. Again, I would just like to talk about the Disney culture. I would assume that the current thread fits in the spirit and theme of the Dis.

"Intentional attentions"? :confused3

If I understand the OP correctly, I'd say:

1) Employee selection and training
2) Creating an immersive environment - when you're at Disney World inside one of the parks you're totally contained inside the magical world. Cleanliness and maintenance are part of that.
3) Creating links and reminders to previously-experienced immersive environments - the Disney movies and TV shows.

For me, it all goes back to Walt's oringial intentions when designing/building the park. He couldn't find anywhere to go for his family and that's where his dream started. Disney does this very very well. We've been to many theme parks on this side of the pond and a few in the States also, but DW only really agreed to go last year as
1. It was Christmas
2. It was for the kids
But now, she loves it. and why? Because there is something there for everyone, it's not just rides, it's not just shows, it's not just fireworks, etc etc, it's the whole package. You can stay there, become imeressed in Disney for your whole holiday, DW even thought about going shopping as that was wasting valuable Disney time :eek: you could have knocked me over with a feather! DS not really into rides but rides in Disney, well it's not just a ride is it. DD & I love rides, and although Disney are not the most intense, they are fun fun fun, and even the queue is there to distract you from the wait. Had never done a ride in the dark before I came to Disney, but man Space Mountain, RNR are cool. What about Soarin' (& Star Tours, which wasn't open but we are looking forward to), they are more of an experience than a ride, but so clever. TSM, just look at the queues, I bet whoever came up with that idea wished that had 1c for everyone that went through it.

So back to original question about Disney's Intentions, oh yes, I beleive that the parks reflect not only the philosophy behind the huge corporation that they are now, but thankfully also 'One Man's Dream'. May they continue for a long time like this as I want to bring my Grandchildren there

The links to movies can be quite a significant part of the experience.

For example:

At a local theme park, the kids meet a purple dragon. He's very nice, but all we know about him is that he's purple, furry, and is a dragon.

If we meet Woody at Frontierland, he's a friend that's been in our living rooms many times and we know a lot about him - he had a TV show, he's a leader among toys, his best friend is a space guy named Buzz, etc. It's like a reunion with an old comrade, not meeting a stranger.

Apologies for the wrong abbreviations... it was late, meant the disney world resort complex.

Disney World is where it is at, because of intentional decision making and planning. My question to everyone basically is, where have you seen Disney intentionally go above and beyond general expectations? How did that change the experience for you? How did it make the difference? Disney has a mission statement. Most people do not know it. However, Disney has created such a culture that most could guess what the mission statement is and be pretty darn close. How, in your opinion, are they able to do it.

Basically, what intentional attentions short and long term have made disney the bext vacation place ever?

And, yes, this is a variation of a post from yesterday, but not being naughty. The original post was in relation to the church in general. Did not realize and found out that no religious discussion is allowed. Still, the concepts in the book I read were very interesting. So, I took out all of the religious aspects of the discussion. I dont want this discussion to focus on church or faith in any way. I just want to focus on the Disney culture and life. I am not trying to sidestep the rules in any way. Again, I would just like to talk about the Disney culture. I would assume that the current thread fits in the spirit and theme of the Dis.
No religious stuff. It was always:

Christians hate gay people and they stole pagan holidays and they suck.

Gay people should make different choices and then be Christians or they're going to hell. It's the non-believers and the gay people who suck.

They don't chose. And God didn't create the world because there were dinosaurs. You made up "Creation"

We did not. And Jesus is going to smite you with his powerful, swift sword.

There is no Jesus. You believe in a fairy tale.

Yuh-huh, there is!

Nuh-uh, there is not.

I hate you. I hope you enjoy your time in hell.

There is no hell, you O()*#%@& I hate you and your kids are ugly.

And then it got closed and everyone went to their corners...the "Born Again Christians Thread - No Bashing Please" and the "Godless Heathen's Support Thread - no bashing, please" (I am not making these titles up)...until the next fight, when they came out again.

Then the DIS decided to shut it all down - the political fights, the religious ones (though the two often overlapped), pool hopping, the mug police ones - all of it. I think they were under the impression that if they did that, all the fighting would end. But it won't. People will fight over anything, just to do it. Human Nature.

As long as the discussion doesn't veer into religion and/or politics, this thread can remain open. However, the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board is meant to provide a forum for theme parks planning information, not for a broader discussion of Disney Parks operating philosophies. This topic is better suited for the Theme Parks Community board. :)

Ha, I feel like I’m doing someone’s MBA course homework, because MBA’s are just the type of people to repurpose words like “intentionality”. (Or use words like repurpose.)

Anyway, in my opinion, there was no intentionality behind WDW’s success in the early days. Walt lucked into a “theme park” when everything else was an “amusement park”. This and they just so happened to have a “Theme” which matched perfectly with the desires of the times. The theme also created a national draw at the exact time when national mobility reached a crossing point.
It likely took Walt about 30 seconds to realize exactly what he had, and after that nothing happened without Disney intending it. Ask a CM, or anyone who goes to WDW a lot. Nothing at all is left to chance at WDW, 99% of what you see, hear, or do at WDW is intentional.

Ha, I feel like I’m doing someone’s MBA course homework, because MBA’s are just the type of people to repurpose words like “intentionality”. (Or use words like repurpose.)

Anyway, in my opinion, there was no intentionality behind WDW’s success in the early days. Walt lucked into a “theme park” when everything else was an “amusement park”. This and they just so happened to have a “Theme” which matched perfectly with the desires of the times. The theme also created a national draw at the exact time when national mobility reached a crossing point.
It likely took Walt about 30 seconds to realize exactly what he had, and after that nothing happened without Disney intending it. Ask a CM, or anyone who goes to WDW a lot. Nothing at all is left to chance at WDW, 99% of what you see, hear, or do at WDW is intentional.

Great post! I'm currently completing my MBA and I never thought of using my fellow Disers to complete my coursework. :idea:

sorry, no mba here lol.

However, to an above post, totally agree. 99% (maybe more) of what DIsney does is completely planned and thought through. Nothing in the park is left for chance. I have heard it stated the the less one plans, the more luck plays its role. I dont see luck having any role in the disney world resort. lol There is no half-(rear end)ing anything. Disney has had its ups and downs, but they dont seem to miss the mark very often. That is an amazing track record.

I dont think Walt stumbled onto the Theme park idea as it materialized with disneyland. I dont think he foresaw the success of it as it was, but to see the opportunity and creat a product of such quality as it was is nothing short of beyond amazing. Its true innovation.

I think its amazing the in 50+ years and 40 years, Disney has had to adapt, change, find innovation, change with the times, and stay on the cutting edge. Yet, part of what makes Disney special is that there is a feeling the place doesn't change, at least not in the way you wouldnt want. Disney feels in my heart the same as it did when I was a kid.

To change while retaining identity and focus is also nothing short of amazing.

In just how intentional they are in creating such an 'above and beyond' product I am reminded of the 'bumping the lamp' illustration. Eisner coined the term about the Roger the Rabbit movie. In one scene, he bumps a lamp in a darkened room. THe light and shadows remained consistent with a moving lamp. THe original script did not call for this, but the director added it after seeing the rough cut, thinking it would be funnier. It required the animators to recreate the scene, basically starting the scene over with hundreds of new drawings and countless hours. Now, most people prob wouldnt notice the high attention to detail, it shows the value of making the product as amazing as possible, even in such a minor detail.
Now, the term 'bumping the lamp' or 'bump the lamp' is used when someone is talking about making the product the best it can possibly be and being purposeful in doing so. How cool is that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter