• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DISNEY if you don't want the average Joe to stay at the parks just say so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I get that Disney is a "for profit" organization and I get that they are trying to upgrade the consumer experience. These things I totally understand. I also understand that WDW and DLR are considered "treat" vacations. I get all that. I love going as much as the next guy. My problem is this. I just read a list of the new attractions, dining and entertainment that will become available to us in the next few years. 85% of those are dining venues. Only 15% fall into the attraction category. So. . .as I see it, you pay an exorbitant amount for your "B" listed motel (all-stars, pop century. . .etc) and then get tickets into the theme parks (which have gone up every year (including during the recessions of 1995 and 2008) and then find out that the new "stuff" at WDW is mostly overpriced restaurants with limited food offerings. Now, most of us watch Food Network or Cooking Channel so we know that fine dining is pricey, but when a counter service for two costs nearly 80 bucks, there is cause for a pause and to say darn, did I really spend that much for some bbq and a salad and fountain drinks? Then there is the cutting of service staff and lack of general cleanliness that used to be the signature stuff of going to Disney (i.e.; always very clean, CMs just the nicest of people, and fabulous service). I understand making a profit. But do they really like their regular customers talking about them this way? And maybe they don't care because the foreign soccer teams and the cheer squads will continue to make up the bulk of guests at the world. I, for one, am going in August because my son is going and wants me to join him and his family. However, I won't be subjecting my husband to this trip. Instead I am taking him to Italy for 1/8th of the cost (includes airfare, luxury hotel and rental car). At that price point, I can afford to eat in nice restaurants and just have fun.

Oh the exaggeration. The typical higher-end Italian holiday I book for clients is 4,000 to 6,000 for a week staying at places like the St. Regis. Add in a suggested budget of 300+ Euros/day. Add in that rental cars fit for North Americans run 400ish/week. You are easily looking at 6500 for the basics of airfare, hotel and car. Plus about 2000 Euros spending, not including places like Aroma can run as high as 150 Euros per person. So we are talking almost 7,000 to 9,000. For a week. Now please tell me what you are doing at Walt Disney World for 56,000 to 72,000 dollars a week. A week in the most expensive rooms on property is only like 12,000 to 15,000. So where is the other 40,000 plus coming from?

Look, I get that Disney is a "for profit" organization and I get that they are trying to upgrade the consumer experience. These things I totally understand. I also understand that WDW and DLR are considered "treat" vacations. I get all that. I love going as much as the next guy. My problem is this. I just read a list of the new attractions, dining and entertainment that will become available to us in the next few years. 85% of those are dining venues. Only 15% fall into the attraction category. So. . .as I see it, you pay an exorbitant amount for your "B" listed motel (all-stars, pop century. . .etc) and then get tickets into the theme parks (which have gone up every year (including during the recessions of 1995 and 2008) and then find out that the new "stuff" at WDW is mostly overpriced restaurants with limited food offerings. Now, most of us watch Food Network or Cooking Channel so we know that fine dining is pricey, but when a counter service for two costs nearly 80 bucks, there is cause for a pause and to say darn, did I really spend that much for some bbq and a salad and fountain drinks? Then there is the cutting of service staff and lack of general cleanliness that used to be the signature stuff of going to Disney (i.e.; always very clean, CMs just the nicest of people, and fabulous service). I understand making a profit. But do they really like their regular customers talking about them this way? And maybe they don't care because the foreign soccer teams and the cheer squads will continue to make up the bulk of guests at the world. I, for one, am going in August because my son is going and wants me to join him and his family. However, I won't be subjecting my husband to this trip. Instead I am taking him to Italy for 1/8th of the cost (includes airfare, luxury hotel and rental car). At that price point, I can afford to eat in nice restaurants and just have fun.
I don't believe they are trying to upgrade the consumer experience. If they were trying to upgrade the consumer experience, they wouldn't be effectively shortening hours like in the week before Spring Break, when they perennially open early I believe they are trying to increase profit. I think it US hadn't put pressure on then with Harry Potter, you wouldn't see the mad rush to get Star Wars into the park.and add more EMH, but not this year. Canning their IT staff and replacing them with H1B visa workers doesn't enhance the consumer experience.

Last edited:
If your tax refund is so large that you can take a trip to WDW you need to adjust your withholding because you are loaning the government your money for free. If that isnt the case, your "refund" is EITC and therefore a welfare payment and not a tax refund.

You are being unnecessarily harsh/judgemental, and your statement isn't true. We received a $5,045 tax refund this year. We have almost nothing withheld for our taxes, and we don't qualify for EITC. So, no, I did not get a "welfare payment". We do, however, have 4 children. And the child tax credit of $1,000 each adds up. Yet there is no way to adjust my W4 to get some of those monies on a bi-weekly basis. I have to wait for my tax return. Your picture shows two kids. You must also get this child tax credit. Do you consider yourself to be a "welfare" recipient?

I agree it's outrageous and I am upset about the costs too but I doubt I'll STOP going. Probably just go less. The way I went last year was renting points here on the boards from an owner. Much cheaper. Stay at AKL... it's wonderful and it's close to 192 (there's an easy back way). You can eat offsite. The food to me is the most outrageous

We have still been taking some Disney trips, but have changed how much money we give Disney. They get money for tickets and resort and not much more. We are their worst nightmare as customers. Breakfast is in the room. Eating off-site. QS in the park and sharing food. Free water.

I guess us Georgia folks think alike. We have done the same. Still spend around the same amount as 10 years ago. Just no table service (or just 1 if any). WE eat off site a few times, and have found a few spots that are now on the must do list. Souvenirs spending is way down - usually an ornament, license plate, and just a little more. Where we used to easily spend a few hundred, its now around $50. Going this route has also helped us to sometimes go a second trip in a year - which is always off site.

It has gotten more expensive over the years but for us that means going once every two or three years instead of two or three times a year.

I'm curious, which CS cost $80 for two entrees and two drinks? None of them are that expensive. In fact for $80 two people can eat at most TS restaurants.

You are being unnecessarily harsh/judgemental, and your statement isn't true. We received a $5,045 tax refund this year. We have almost nothing withheld for our taxes, and we don't qualify for EITC. So, no, I did not get a "welfare payment". We do, however, have 4 children. And the child tax credit of $1,000 each adds up. Yet there is no way to adjust my W4 to get some of those monies on a bi-weekly basis. I have to wait for my tax return. Your picture shows two kids. You must also get this child tax credit. Do you consider yourself to be a "welfare" recipient?
You get refundable child tax credit then, mine is non-refundable. It would be nice if the IRS allowed people like you to get a negative withholding to get the CTC during the year and not have to wait.

DH told me if they implement the $15 per day fee for the magic bands he will sell our DVC points.

I'm curious, which CS cost $80 for two entrees and two drinks? None of them are that expensive. In fact for $80 two people can eat at most TS restaurants.

There is no way $80 is possible. I think too it sounds like that poster has made up their minds and wishes to have nothing to do with Disney. Their choice, and their loss. But it sounds as if it were a while coming and the price hikes were an excuse to bow out. They sound as if they have been unhappy with their experience for a while.

There is no way $80 is possible. I think too it sounds like that poster has made up their minds and wishes to have nothing to do with Disney. Their choice, and their loss. But it sounds as if it were a while coming and the price hikes were an excuse to bow out. They sound as if they have been unhappy with their experience for a while.
If you count Trader Sam's as a CS... I can hit $80 with one drink and two appies...

I don't believe they are trying to upgrade the consumer experience. If they were trying to upgrade the consumer experience, they wouldn't be effectively shortening hours like in the week before Christmas, when they perennially open early I believe they are trying to increase profit. I think it US hadn't put pressure on then with Harry Potter, you wouldn't see the mad rush to get Star Wars into the park.and add more EMH, but not this year. Canning their IT staff and replacing them with H1B visa workers doesn't enhance the consumer experience.

They are investing in new attractions/lands (New Fantasyland, Pandora, Star Wars, Toy Story Land) and upgrades/refurbs (the new versions of TT and Soarin', third track on TSMM) and I give them a lot of credit for that. Admittedly, a lot of their motivation is pressure from the competition, particularly Universal.

But, as the post above notes, they are upgrading in some areas but cutting in others. For one thing, they refuse to properly invest in their workforce, and I find that puzzling. It seems that they are used to taking their CMs for granted. The sentiment seems to be: "Plenty more where that came from" and "just replaceable cogs in the machine".

I honestly believe that this is the wrong attitude and approach. The only way to offer exceptional (in other words, Disney quality) guest service is to cultivate a dedicated work force that is well trained, properly paid and enthusiastic about the job.
Instead, Disney is busy gutting CM hours and undermining worker morale. That is counterproductive in the long run.

As always, it seems that Disney does whatever they think they can get away with. They have to build snazzy new attractions because of competition from Universal, so they are doing that. But they seem to think they can get away with cutting corners on hours, characters, and in-park entertainment, providing mediocre food in overpriced TS restaurants, increasingly surly CMs, etc. And this while frequently jacking up prices. It's no wonder that many of their most loyal customers are reaching their breaking point.

You are right. But I wouldn't count that as a typical counter service meal. And the poster who gave the $80 figure made it sound like that was the cost of an average counter service meal for 2. And it isn't.
That would be quite a filling meal...

That would be quite a filling meal...
I mean, I could probably come up with a $30 CS meal if I spent a moment thinking it through, especially if we worked on the basis of a DDP CS credit. (Flame Tree BBQ is the top contender to do this.) But it's by no means average. Do a sampler (19.99), a drink (2.99) and sub in fries for the dessert to bring up your total (6.49), and you're to $29.47 pre-tax.

Mind you, you now have enough food to feed a small island nation.

Yes but what I don't think a lot of people understand is if they had less tax deducted from their paychecks and they put that extra money in a savings account, over the course of a year they can earn like $1 in interest ;)

Last edited:
I noticed there weren't many people in the parks just walking around eating snacks. It's like they all decided they would rather starve than spend $6 on a soft pretzel with cheese. We didn't even get churros this times and each of us only had one Mickey ice cream bar.

I noticed there weren't many people in the parks just walking around eating snacks. It's like they all decided they would rather starve than spend $6 on a soft pretzel with cheese. We didn't even get churros this times and each of us only had one Mickey ice cream bar.

Or maybe they had all just had a good meal and were full???? I know as many times as I say I'm going to have a Mickey bar I maybe end up hungry enough for one a trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter