• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney has a secret army...

The general perception by some is pretty obvious based on some of the responses on this thread. If you don't choose to post negative items about Disney, you must be a paid member of some covert Disney conspiracy. It sounds to me like an excuse to use to get out of a losing debate. Some have even implied in other threads that mods and the Disboards themselves are a part of it all. Of course, the former/present less-than-positive members who create multiple IDs to stir up issues on the boards are the shining examples of sanity and honesty. Posters should learn to think for themselves instead of allowing themselves to be led around.

Isn't the Moms Panel a part of this as well?

I personally don't find it a big deal. I love reading detailed blog posts and the more companies encourage it, the better. Writers/bloggers receive comp stuff regularly (if they are any good).

And many of them do disclose when they are reviewing something that they were comped it

The general perception by some is pretty obvious based on some of the responses on this thread. If you don't choose to post negative items about Disney, you must be a paid member of some covert Disney conspiracy. It sounds to me like an excuse to use to get out of a losing debate. Some have even implied in other threads that mods and the Disboards themselves are a part of it all. Of course, the former/present less-than-positive members who create multiple IDs to stir up issues on the boards are the shining examples of sanity and honesty. Posters should learn to think for themselves instead of allowing themselves to be led around.
:rotfl:One thing I have NEVER been accused of is not knowing my own mind. :rotfl:

The thing is, a reviewer receiving somehitng doesn't invalidate the review. My editor has a strict policy..if we don't like a product we contact their rep and let them know our concerns. If the company doesn't respond well or fix issues that might be possible then the review doesn't go up and the item is sent back. When you get tickets to somehitng and you don't like it, we do say the negative aspects. Most people know if they are going to a certain event they are already fans or have interest in it.

Professional bloggers do this as a full time job, it takes a tremendous amount of effort and time to constantly uodate your sites on all platforms, manage content and writers, deal with sponsors and product reps, etc. They deserve to make some money or more likely compensation in the way of products or experiences, because they are indeed providing the company with nearly free advertising. This doesn't mean a good blogger will only review thigns they get for free,bit is usually a mix.

There is nothing nefarious about a blog that states they received a product. This is how ALL reviews are done of media and most consumer review magazines, websites etc. Some are big enough to buy everything but most are not. Believe me there's a lot of junk that gets sent back or even reviewed poorly. All reviews of books, music etc, are given copies, film critics given screeners,etc. It's has always been this way this isn't new.

I think You Tube must have 100,000 people who review products of all kinds. Most will offer full disclosure if they received the product free although usually only the more popular sites with the most subscribers get these type of perks from my experience. Makes sense as they are reaching the largest base of people. I haven't seen a lot that I would question. I think free or not, most give an honest review.

So if you post nothing but fluff and pixie dust then you are sane and honest? You see, extremes can work both ways.

Posters should learn to think for themselves instead of allowing themselves to be led around.
I'm confused. Who is not thinking for themselves?

And many of them do disclose when they are reviewing something that they were comped it
Yeah, and I definitely feel better about the whole thing when there's disclosure. I still think that getting something for free has the potential to influence your opinion, if for nothing else, than your expectations are less since you didn't shell out any money.

I think You Tube must have 100,000 people who review products of all kinds. Most will offer full disclosure if they received the product free although usually only the more popular sites with the most subscribers get these type of perks from my experience. Makes sense as they are reaching the largest base of people. I haven't seen a lot that I would question. I think free or not, most give an honest review.
I think you're an optimist, or more trusting than I am. Not a bad thing at all. I freely admit that I'm pretty pessimistic and cynical. They are probably not among my best qualities. Regardless, that may be why we see things differently.

This thread will be closed soon. A self fulfilling prophecy lol.
Certainly seems to be heading downhill, doesn't it?

You also can't suggest getting the opinions of certain posters since so many of them no longer seem to be here. Odd isn't is?

Well, I wouldn't say "they" aren't here anymore. More like, their original IDs are no longer active. Best way to put it, I think.

Your terminology.

I like all viewpoints. I don't respect anyone who tries to make everyone conform to only one way of thinking.

I don't think that anyone has the power to make you conform to anything on an Internet message board. If you don't like someone's opinion, you simply ignore them. That is the great thing about this message board. If you allow someone to influence you, that is a different issue altogether.

Well, I wouldn't say "they" aren't here anymore. More like, their original IDs are no longer active. Best way to put it, I think.
Yes, those nasty opposing viewpoints will get you every time.

But back on topic, it would surprise me if Disney and other companies don't have people who visit websites such as these. There's no proof of course but why not?

Last edited:
The thing is, a reviewer receiving somehitng doesn't invalidate the review. My editor has a strict policy..if we don't like a product we contact their rep and let them know our concerns. If the company doesn't respond well or fix issues that might be possible then the review doesn't go up and the item is sent back.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but doesn't this mean that you only post positives reviews? You say that you don't put up a review if you don't like the product and the company doesn't fix the issue. Which, to me, does bias (and therefore, invalidate) your site/blog.

The thing is, a reviewer receiving somehitng doesn't invalidate the review. My editor has a strict policy..if we don't like a product we contact their rep and let them know our concerns. If the company doesn't respond well or fix issues that might be possible then the review doesn't go up and the item is sent back. When you get tickets to somehitng and you don't like it, we do say the negative aspects. Most people know if they are going to a certain event they are already fans or have interest in it.

Professional bloggers do this as a full time job, it takes a tremendous amount of effort and time to constantly uodate your sites on all platforms, manage content and writers, deal with sponsors and product reps, etc. They deserve to make some money or more likely compensation in the way of products or experiences, because they are indeed providing the company with nearly free advertising. This doesn't mean a good blogger will only review thigns they get for free,bit is usually a mix.

There is nothing nefarious about a blog that states they received a product. This is how ALL reviews are done of media and most consumer review magazines, websites etc. Some are big enough to buy everything but most are not. Believe me there's a lot of junk that gets sent back or even reviewed poorly. All reviews of books, music etc, are given copies, film critics given screeners,etc. It's has always been this way this isn't new.

A blogger receiving something for free/discount absolutely does invalidate the review. For me anyway.

I'm so tired of the insinuations of a "PR team" here on the boards. To suggest such a thing is rude & dismissive.

Apparently some here don't understand the difference between a blogger (like the article describes) and a Disboarder.

A serious blogger devotes a ton of time and energy to creating and maintaining their blog. Not to mention, the added time and energy needed to promote their blogs via YouTube, Instagram and Twitter. It's seriously a full time job. These people are not going to waste their time on a discussion board like the Dis since they can't actively promote themselves or their blog here. So what else would be the point? Just so they can have their anonymous comments buried in a thread, a thread that will be history in just a couple of days....

Yeah... I highly doubt it.

I don't doubt it at all, in fact its rather obvious when they show up. They are usually brand new members with fewer than 5 posts, and sound something like this:

"Hi everyone! I just joined this board and I am SO completely excited to be here to talk about the most magical place on earth! My family will be heading to Disney World soon and I just learned about this amazing new benefit called My Magic Plus! WOW! Talk about exciting! What an innovative way to plan our vacation! It makes the whole planning process a breeze. I love the fact that I can choose which rides my family can ride, while sitting on my couch in my pajamas! And those magic bands! What a fantastic idea! I no longer have to carry around a dozen lists of dining reservations and plans! Thanks to the bands and my cell phone, we can come to the parks empty handed! And the ability to charge all of our purchases to our room is super convenient! I'm so thrilled that Disney now offers this exciting and innovative new planning system, and I can't wait to partake in the magic....."

You get my drift.

And then there are the mysterious one-post wonders that show up to try to spin PR messes. Take, for example, what happened shortly after the disaster that was Villains Unleashed.

"What an amazing experience! I'm so grateful to WDW for providing the opportunity to meet so many of my favorite characters in one spot. We had the most wonderful time, it was totally worth the money and we would absolutely go again. A wonderful time was had by all, thank you WDW!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter