• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney has a secret army...

But if someone is so pro-Disney they can't utter a single negative about the product, they no longer can contribute meaningfully to discussion forums.
I love ice cream, but I can acknowledge that people with milk allergies and lactose intolerance can't enjoy it like I do. Or sensitivity to cold. Or. Or.
Disney "lobbyists" (love that) just keep trying to shove square pegs into round holes because to admit it isn't for everyone could risk them losing out on compensation.

Allow me to elaborate on your example, for those that say that this kind of thing doesn't happen here.

Person A:"My store stopped selling chocolate ice cream.I tried vanilla ice cream for the first time this week. I didn't like it. I like chocolate better, it is what I'm used to."

Person B: "Well, obviously, you didn't experience that ice cream to its full potential. Vanilla ice cream is wonderful, and I'm so glad they made the change, as it is so much better for my family. If you just give it another chance, you'll see how wonderful it is, and you won't miss chocolate at all."

Person A: "But, I don't want to try the vanilla again. I know I don't like it. I'd like my chocolate back."

Person B: "Now you are just being ignorant, vanilla ice cream is obviously so much better and recent media reports confirm that people are eating more vanilla ice cream than ever before, so obviously you are in a minority, and are just bitter. Vanilla ice cream is here to stay, and I LOVE IT! Yay vanilla! Give me more!"

Person A: "Hey, I'm just saying I don't like it. It's just my opinion. I think I may stop buying ice cream and switch to popsicles, because they are close to one another, and a better value for my money."

Person B: "Well, then GOOD! Stop going to the store for ice cream then! More ice cream for me and my family then! Team Vanilla 4 LIFE! Yay vanilla! Yay ice cream! Have fun with your far inferior popsicles! We'll be here, enjoying this magical ice cream sprinkled with pixie dust."

Allow me to elaborate on your example, for those that say that this kind of thing doesn't happen here.

Person A:"My store stopped selling chocolate ice cream.I tried vanilla ice cream for the first time this week. I didn't like it. I like chocolate better, it is what I'm used to."

Person B: "Well, obviously, you didn't experience that ice cream to its full potential. Vanilla ice cream is wonderful, and I'm so glad they made the change, as it is so much better for my family. If you just give it another chance, you'll see how wonderful it is, and you won't miss chocolate at all."

Person A: "But, I don't want to try the vanilla again. I know I don't like it. I'd like my chocolate back."

Person B: "Now you are just being ignorant, vanilla ice cream is obviously so much better and recent media reports confirm that people are eating more vanilla ice cream than ever before, so obviously you are in a minority, and are just bitter. Vanilla ice cream is here to stay, and I LOVE IT! Yay vanilla! Give me more!"

Person A: "Hey, I'm just saying I don't like it. It's just my opinion. I think I may stop buying ice cream and switch to popsicles, because they are close to one another, and a better value for my money."

Person B: "Well, then GOOD! Stop going to the store for ice cream then! More ice cream for me and my family then! Team Vanilla 4 LIFE! Yay vanilla! Yay ice cream! Have fun with your far inferior popsicles! We'll be here, enjoying this magical ice cream sprinkled with pixie dust."

You left off "you just hate change". ;)

Person A: "Please provide links to those 'recent media reports' you mention. I don't believe anything I read here without corroborating evidence in the form of an 'official' press release available online."

As soon as I read on a blog "I received this product for free in return for writing about it", I stop reading and won't visit that site again. I'm not interested in bloggers opinions that are bought.

ETA The same goes for resort stays, book reviews, etc.
The thing is, a reviewer receiving somehitng doesn't invalidate the review. My editor has a strict policy..if we don't like a product we contact their rep and let them know our concerns. If the company doesn't respond well or fix issues that might be possible then the review doesn't go up and the item is sent back. When you get tickets to somehitng and you don't like it, we do say the negative aspects. Most people know if they are going to a certain event they are already fans or have interest in it.

Professional bloggers do this as a full time job, it takes a tremendous amount of effort and time to constantly uodate your sites on all platforms, manage content and writers, deal with sponsors and product reps, etc. They deserve to make some money or more likely compensation in the way of products or experiences, because they are indeed providing the company with nearly free advertising. This doesn't mean a good blogger will only review thigns they get for free,bit is usually a mix.

There is nothing nefarious about a blog that states they received a product. This is how ALL reviews are done of media and most consumer review magazines, websites etc. Some are big enough to buy everything but most are not. Believe me there's a lot of junk that gets sent back or even reviewed poorly. All reviews of books, music etc, are given copies, film critics given screeners,etc. It's has always been this way this isn't new.

How to tell if a blogger is professional level or "serious" (unfortunately only info they could give you, and they have to prove to be part of programs like the disney one) number of unique page views per month/ day number of returns, number of followers on twitter, fb, Pinterest, Instagram ETC.

So I write for one site that has 11,000 page views a day and one that has 6 million a day..both considered big but the former is not give enough for disney I don't think? The second is but isn't really related. Both afford people who write for them tickets to events to review. It's up to each editor how they run it and what content to provide or promote, just like regular media.

That's mist of my knowledge lol I could never handle my own full time blog it's overwhelmingly hard,you've really got to love it!

Really ???....then you haven't been reading the same threads as I have...roflmao !!!
Maybe not. I only read threads that are of interest to me, but I have not seen this. Maybe you are looking for it and misinterpreting posts, or maybe I am giving people too much credit, but I prefer that to a more cynical view.

There is nothing nefarious about a blog that states they received a product. This is how ALL reviews are done of media and most consumer review magazines, websites etc. Some are big enough to buy everything but most are not. Believe me there's a lot of junk that gets sent back or even reviewed poorly. All reviews of books, music etc, are given copies, film critics given screeners,etc. It's has always been this way this isn't new.
There is a reason many people use Consumer Reports. They purchase their products in order to give unbiased reviews.

Maybe not. I only read threads that are of interest to me, but I have not seen this. Maybe you are looking for it and misinterpreting posts, or maybe I am giving people too much credit, but I prefer that to a more cynical view.
I could tell you where to look, except I can't b/c most of them are locked...

So if one of the Dis members that won trips to Disney later reports that trip to have been awesome, you discount the trip report automatically?
Discount, yes.

I wouldn't throw the thing out the window, but the free trip is relevant and makes me look at the whole thing with a more critical eye.

Could they have gotten the free trip AND also love the trip independent of that? Sure. Could the fact that they got a free trip influence their opinion? Sure. Hard to know where the truth lies. Murky waters.

Now, if they purchase the trip and love it, the water is less murky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter