Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone posted this, but AmEx has an offer for $30 off a $150 purchase at Lowes. I just noticed it today when I was looking for another offer. I had it on two of our AmEx cards. That's an easy 20% savings if it works on 3rd party GCs. I'll be testing it tomorrow.

I think that makes sense, but mathematically, it only makes sense if you don't need Disney gift cards (or whatever other card Kroger carries). Best savings is to buy the Visa gc's and then use those to purchase 3rd party gift cards at Kroger (see comments a few pages back).

And just an FYI - the Amex Blue Preferred gives 6% back at grocery stores (taking into account the annual fee, it yields 4.4% back - still a good deal).

Will these cards get the 4x fuel points though? The fine print says that they are not gift cards. Maybe someone can try it and tell us whether it will work or not.

I don't know if anyone posted this, but AmEx has an offer for $30 off a $150 purchase at Lowes. I just noticed it today when I was looking for another offer. I had it on two of our AmEx cards. That's an easy 20% savings if it works on 3rd party GCs. I'll be testing it tomorrow.
It looks to be very targeted and mainly hitting business cards:( can only be loaded on the website.

Thank you. I was thinking it's a way to save on other things besides Disney too. Money saved other places becomes Disney money here so I figure I can buy some Disney gc with the visas and then get a few for other things that I'd normally not be able to get a savings on -- in essence adding more money to our Disney fund!

Yes, I'm with you. As long as there is no other way to save more than 8% at those places, your plan will work. I'm not at a point yet where I can forgo Disney cards, otherwise, I'd probably be doing the same as you.

Will these cards get the 4x fuel points though? The fine print says that they are not gift cards. Maybe someone can try it and tell us whether it will work or not.

Fixed value Visa/Amex/Mcard cards get 4x, but loadables do not.

I did get a refund for my BB gc's but PP is now saying they cannot do anything about the SW as they are more than 90 days old (after telling me they initiated a refund). PP told me to contact eBay. I won't have time this afternoon or evening but will try tomorrow.

So is it any cheaper buying gc's at at Costco or Sams than the 5% at Target? Or is it basically the same?

Also wondering, is that BB $100/$10 promo code going past today(well, Monday) or was that one day only? Not sure I'd want to buy thru there but I haven't ruled it out either, but I'd definitely have to be able to get to BB right away and that's not a sure thing. Dang, I wish it was just the old churning days with Target, lol! That was fun and very trip friendly, lol!

when you buy at walmart, it comes out to just under 5% discount on the disney gf's, but if you're a plus member, you get another 2% back ... and then if you use a rewards card, you get that %, too, so, yes, more than the 5% at target, now that the 10% target work around is a no-go.

when you buy at walmart, it comes out to just under 5% discount on the disney gf's, but if you're a plus member, you get another 2% back ... and then if you use a rewards card, you get that %, too, so, yes, more than the 5% at target, now that the 10% target work around is a no-go.

I think you mean Sam's Club and not Walmart and unless people get away with it, their restrictions are as follows for Plus Membership:

Cash Rewards are not earned for purchases of the following:

• Purchases made at the Sam’s Club Wholesale Trading Center #7191 located at 11700 Miramar Pkwy., Miramar, FL 33025
  • Alcoholic Beverages
  • Tobacco
  • eCigarettes
  • Fuel
  • Milk
  • External Websites- merchandise or services sold or provided on websites not hosted by Sam’s Club - even if accessed originally through SamsClub.com.
  • Auctions
  • Gift Cards, including third party Gift Cards
  • Inventory belonging to third parties
  • Lottery tickets
  • Membership
  • Service contracts (example - mobile phone contracts)
  • Pharmacy - prescriptions
  • Photo Center
  • Postage stamps
  • Limited duration third party merchandise sales within clubs
  • Offers and Services provided by third parties (examples - auto buying program, insurance, travel services, legal services, merchant credit card payment processing services, etc.)
  • Services and Labor (examples - delivery, tire installation, etc.)
  • Taxes and fees (including sales tax, deposits, miscellaneous fees etc.)
  • Service Plans

I don't think that new purchases are leaked information. If the hack went beyond that concentrated period and if you have ever purchased from PPDG which is PayPal or utilized PayPal - your information is breached. It was a few years ago when PayPal had their massive hack. So far this looks like its just a minor hack exposing emails and gift cards for scammers. Time will tell if it is more concerning with regards to further information being exposed. I would be surprised if this is all we heard about it.

So basically what I am saying is PPDG isn't your problem - PAYPAL IS. PayPal is who was hacked. We are just seeing the initial effects via PPDG. If you ever bought from PPDG or have a PayPal account you should be shutting it down if you're truly concerned. You would probably be well served to change credit cards associated with the PayPal as well.

You totally missed the point of what happened. Paypal was not hacked, no one stole credit card information from them. What was hacked was the gift cards that they were selling. It is not relevant how thieves got the gift card numbers (and know one really will ever know unless paypal ever admits to it.) What is relevant is that it is their responsibility to only allow the person buying the gift card to see the number and no one else and in that they failed. AND THEY ARE GETTING AWAY WITH IT. No one is doing anything to stop them. There are thousands of people who bought gift cards from them who have no clue their gift card balances are disappearing or have disappeared, you think most people who buy on paypal hang around on the disboards? Paypal is purposely trying to hide this because when most people find out 2, 3, 4 months down the road that their balance is gone, they will have no way get their money back.

But here is the bottom line - I buy gift cards from PPDG versus 3rd party sellers like raise or cardcash because I know my gift cards are genuine and I don't need to run out and use them. If a gift card from PPDG has to now be used right away, then they are no better than any 3rd party seller.

I will conclude with the following - you obviously didn't have any drained gift cards otherwise you would feel a lot different. You can continue buying from PPDG and maybe soon enough you will feel the same pain that many others here are experiencing.

But here is the bottom line - I buy gift cards from PPDG versus 3rd party sellers like raise or cardcash because I know my gift cards are genuine and I don't need to run out and use them. If a gift card from PPDG has to now be used right away, then they are no better than any 3rd party seller.

Like it or not regardless how genuine the GC is, you are taking a huge chance with ANY electronic GC you buy. It is just not wise to keep them for a long time. Email accounts can be hacked easily. PPDG is not the only store front that have had problems with egc. Target did too.

Exactly what I was thinking!

It is not that I don't feel bad I think it is terrible. I think PPDG should send out a message or perhaps cancel all GC that might have been compromised and send new ones. If anything through this thread people make a point to say there is a level of RISK. That goes from being ban from target to potentially loosing money. Everyone needs to evaluate what they are confortable with and go that route. I think it is very important to be aware that what happened with PPDG can happend with any electronic GC. That is not a new risk we have seen it with target before. I am not willing to take that risk therefore I only buy EGC I can flip within the timeframe that I got buyer protection.

I would continue to buy through PPDG as long as they offer a good deal on GC. Buying from another seller it is not going to guarantee that this won't happen again.

Last edited:
Like it or not regardless how genuine the GC is, you are taking a huge chance with ANY electronic GC you buy. It is just not wise to keep them for a long time. Email accounts can be hacked easily. PPDG is not the only store front that have had problems with egc. Target did too.

Truth.

It's the risk we're all aware of on some level or another going through this process. Just one of the many reasons the 'regulars' here were reluctant to spell out a detailed road map to gift card arbitrage. There are a dozen thing that can go wrong at any point in the process that we're aware of, and probably another half a dozen that we're not even aware of yet.

Your points make absolutely no sense. I'll answer point by point:

1) "you say no credit cards were affected but that's not a fact".

Since no one is here reporting credit cards were stolen but lost of people are reporting gift cards being drained, it stands to reason that only gift cards were stolen and not credit cards. The its not a fact makes no sense - are you trying to say unless I somehow prove that no one had their credit card info stolen from paypal in the last week (even though no one has reported that) we should just assume that it was? With that logic, If you said Hillary Clinton was not an alien from the planet Uranus I could argue well that's not a fact unless you prove otherwise.

2) "I frequently notate PayPal as being one of the shadiest companies around".

And yet you are still buying gift cards from them. I think most people would find it hard to believe that you really believe they are the shadiest companies around and yet continue to do business from them.

3) "And guess what? I've had my email hacked and egiftcards DRAINED without the recourse of a company to back them since the hack was my email which is why I have these rules in place for doing business online - dedicated accounts, using within a 24hr time frame."

Please do not compare a hacked email to a situation where a company sells you gift cards and then lets criminals have access to the cards.
When your email gets hacked, that is your responsibility. The company that sells you the gift cards has A LEGAL RESPONSIBILTY to not allow criminals access to the cards. The only reason people are out money is because a company did SOMETHING ILLEGAL. There is absolutely no risk involved in buying gift cards when done properly. I always print out my gift cards, copy the numbers into a password protected word document, and then delete all traces of the email. There is no risk at my end. People absolutely have a right to expect a company that sells them gift cards to live up to their legal obligations.

The final point is, when you come on here and say you are going to continue buying gift cards after lots of other people had their numbers stolen, the only logical conclusion that anyone can come to is that you don't believe it actually happened. It is no different than people who travel to parts of South America which are controlled by drug cartels to go on a vacation, the logical conclusion would be they don't really believe it is happening or think its not nearly as bad as people are claiming it to be.

Where in your account did you find it?

When I put my mouse over the My Ebay and the drop down list comes down that says summary, wish list watch list, etc. At the bottom of that it said $15 coupon in green with a little price tag beside it, clicked on that and it took me to the coupon info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter