• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, gift card to gift card purchases are still not working on ebay (even though it is 6:30AM EST on Septmeber 13 and supposedly ebay is giving a 1 month grace period from Sept 13 - Oct 13). If anyone is able to get them to work, please post. I want to get rid of my final ebay gift cards.

So far, gift card to gift card purchases are still not working on ebay (even though it is 6:30AM EST on Septmeber 13 and supposedly ebay is giving a 1 month grace period from Sept 13 - Oct 13). If anyone is able to get them to work, please post. I want to get rid of my final ebay gift cards.
I thought it might start working at 8AM EST, but nope, still doesn't work.

Unbelievable, I found the magic terms to google and I can see people's iTunes GC's and their email addresses. The details are still in the cache. I will never trust paypal/ebay again.
You're right. What PayPal has allowed to happen is simply unbelievable! And they are such a horrible company to deal with in a situation like this!

Wow! I'm SO sorry to the people continuing to find their giftcards drained. That is beyond unacceptable. I just hope your situation is resolved swiftly. I must say I am beyond shocked that after people getting banned from PayPal using PPDG and this gift card/security breech people would even contemplate dealing with PPDG. Wow. To save a measly $10 and get a few Ebucks. No thank you.

I must say I am beyond shocked that after people getting banned from PayPal using PPDG and this gift card/security breech people would even contemplate dealing with PPDG. Wow. To save a measly $10 and get a few Ebucks. No thank you.
You and I think alike.
You know what happens when you play with fire!

I'm all caught up after vacation and then busy getting the kids back to school. (It is my first day back to work in 2 weeks and that is where I do most of my Dis reading.:rotfl2:)

I have 3-$100 BB e-gift cards that are drained. I am within my 30 days so I started with ebay today. Sigh.

Wow, I got my payment credited about 8 hours after I initiated by cancellation with ebay. I am one of the lucky ones that was still within 30 days. My payment was credited back to my ebay GC and a little to paypal (how I paid).

Here is the response I got:
New message from: paypal_digital_gifts (310,770)
Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize that you’re having issues with your gift card. We recently had a technical issue which may be the reason why your gift card is not working. I just submitted a cancelation request on eBay for you. If there is anything else that I can do please don't hesitate to ask.

______
Robyn H - PayPal

"Technical issues" makes me laugh. You were hacked. I hope everyone gets resolution . And thanks to those who posted. I was 5 days awayt from the 30 day mark and I'm not sure if I would have discovered my drained GCs before then on my own.

Now I have some Ebay GC I'm stuck with. I really hope this month 'grace period' is true so I can convert them. I tried this morning with no luck.

Count me to the ones that won't be avoiding PPDG. I don't buy them unless I am going to use them within a two week period. Sure this time is PayPal fault, but hacking into an email account is easy and then you will be out of the money.

Count me to the ones that won't be avoiding PPDG. I don't buy them unless I am going to use them within a two week period. Sure this time is PayPal fault, but hacking into an email account is easy and then you will be out of the money.
I still buy PPDG but because of hacks I only buy if I'm using same day or within 24hrs. BB is on my route of daily errands though so it's convenient.

For publix ppl they have a sale on Visa gift cards. $10 off $50 visa gift cards for every $50 you spend in groceries. I bought $200 worth for $179.80 after activation fees. Make sure if you buy gift cards at Publix you tell them to separate any orders more than two apiece. They will let you bring them up separately but the max is supposed to be two gift cards per transaction. And the coupon is in their regular monthly coupon booklet that's in front of the store. The deal is good till September 30. I'll be using this every time I hit the grocery between now and then.

I still buy PPDG but because of hacks I only buy if I'm using same day or within 24hrs. BB is on my route of daily errands though so it's convenient.

For publix ppl they have a sale on Visa gift cards. $10 off $50 visa gift cards for every $50 you spend in groceries. I bought $200 worth for $179.80 after activation fees. Make sure if you buy gift cards at Publix you tell them to separate any orders more than two apiece. They will let you bring them up separately but the max is supposed to be two gift cards per transaction. And the coupon is in their regular monthly coupon booklet that's in front of the store. The deal is good till September 30. I'll be using this every time I hit the grocery between now and then.
But aren't you concerned about what other information might be leaked? I heard email addresses but it could be much worse. Totally not worth it IMHO

Can someone help me with my Kroger thinking here a minute? Why not do the visa cards at Kroger when there's a 4x rewards for whatever you purchase on a normal basis.....other than the gift cards Kroger carries? If my math is right, it would be 8% on a $100 visa card purchase (it's normally 14% on $100 but taking into account the $6 fee, it brings it down to 8%) and then I get 2% for my disney visa card so a total of 10% savings and use the visa cards for whatever we purchase. I could use the visa cards for anything I buy anywhere then netting a 10% savings at places that I normally can't get a gc at Kroger for --- obviously doesn't make sense to buy these to say use at Target since Kroger carries Target gc, etc. I need to go to Meijer tomorrow and bought a $100 visa today. I could use it there in essence saving myself 10%. I hope I'm explaining this right. And, of course, this calculation only works if one maxes out the 35 gallon gas purchase limit each time you use $1 towards gas.

I think that makes sense, but mathematically, it only makes sense if you don't need Disney gift cards (or whatever other card Kroger carries). Best savings is to buy the Visa gc's and then use those to purchase 3rd party gift cards at Kroger (see comments a few pages back).

And just an FYI - the Amex Blue Preferred gives 6% back at grocery stores (taking into account the annual fee, it yields 4.4% back - still a good deal).

But aren't you concerned about what other information might be leaked? I heard email addresses but it could be much worse. Totally not worth it IMHO

I don't think that new purchases are leaked information. If the hack went beyond that concentrated period and if you have ever purchased from PPDG which is PayPal or utilized PayPal - your information is breached. It was a few years ago when PayPal had their massive hack. So far this looks like its just a minor hack exposing emails and gift cards for scammers. Time will tell if it is more concerning with regards to further information being exposed. I would be surprised if this is all we heard about it.

So basically what I am saying is PPDG isn't your problem - PAYPAL IS. PayPal is who was hacked. We are just seeing the initial effects via PPDG. If you ever bought from PPDG or have a PayPal account you should be shutting it down if you're truly concerned. You would probably be well served to change credit cards associated with the PayPal as well.

Last edited:
Heads up. I had a $15 off $75 coupon in my eBay account today. No email from them. I just happened to look. Not sure if it will work on gift cards or not.

So far, from all I've read, it is just a technical issue. They failed to prevent Google (and probably other search engines) from indexing the webpages that show you your giftcard number and your email address. Since Google indexed those, typing the correct search string into the search bar revealed links to those pages. GC numbers and email addresses that were indexed by search engines were then seen and stolen. A hack would mean that someone broke in and gained access, but in reality, PPDG just failed to put up a barrier to a webpage that only displayed a GC number and email address. Only two things can really happen from this- the GC number used and the email address spammed.

I think that makes sense, but mathematically, it only makes sense if you don't need Disney gift cards (or whatever other card Kroger carries). Best savings is to buy the Visa gc's and then use those to purchase 3rd party gift cards at Kroger (see comments a few pages back).

And just an FYI - the Amex Blue Preferred gives 6% back at grocery stores (taking into account the annual fee, it yields 4.4% back - still a good deal).

Thank you. I was thinking it's a way to save on other things besides Disney too. Money saved other places becomes Disney money here so I figure I can buy some Disney gc with the visas and then get a few for other things that I'd normally not be able to get a savings on -- in essence adding more money to our Disney fund!

We aren't that close to BB so I know within 2 weeks I am still protected through eBay so to me filing a claim through them it is not a big deal.

If you are this concern then you probably shouldn't be buying online at all. PayPal is consider a financial institution therefore they have a ton of security and parameters to follow unlike pretty much every other website out there. If it was beyond a technical problem we would have seen bank accounts and credit cards hacked long ago. I was able to use my BB GC today with no issues. I bought them two weeks ago. I will continue to use PayPal as I am an eBay seller too and it is the easiest way to get money from rewards programs to my bank account.

So far, from all I've read, it is just a technical issue. They failed to prevent Google (and probably other search engines) from indexing the webpages that show you your giftcard number and your email address. Since Google indexed those, typing the correct search string into the search bar revealed links to those pages. GC numbers and email addresses that were indexed by search engines were then seen and stolen. A hack would mean that someone broke in and gained access, but in reality, PPDG just failed to put up a barrier to a webpage that only displayed a GC number and email address. Only two things can really happen from this- the GC number used and the email address spammed.
And if that's the case it's clear to buy from PPDG under the assumption they have fixed that technical glitch. Either I've been breached - closed my churning PayPal and canceled the card and email associated that have been used for PPDG - or it's a glitch and it's fixed. I was lucky not to have cards drained but I did buy in that period however I used them same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter