Disney Genie announcement

After watching bloggers reviews and reading experiences here I decided to give it a try. My initial feelings were negative - as I read how to use it a nagging voice says to me "this used to come free your ticket"- but I wanted to see for myself. I did a three day stay-cation (I live an hour away) last week, so pre-Thanksgivng crowds.
The morning I was going I bought Genie+ from home to use at MK second half of the day- I was aiming to arrive after 2. Something told me not to reserve LL yet- good move- I didn't leave the house till 3:00- arrived at POR 4:00 and MK at 5:00. I got Buzz for 5:20 before I headed for the bus. By the time I finished Buzz there wasn't much left of LL's for the day. I didn't look at the ILL$ since I can't do coasters. I played with plain Genie suggestions - I checked off my preferences, one of which is Accessibility ( I use a cane). Well, Genie wanted me to go to Swiss Family Robiinson - STAIRS?! - no thanks. It also kept telling to eat at Sleepy Hollow- I was at Pecos Bill at that time so that's where I ate. I have more learning to do with Genie light.
First try was a waste of $15.98 (nagging voice again; used to be free) - but pretty much my fault since I bought early and arrived late.

Next day I was heading for HS. At 7:00 AM I signed on and got ILL$ for RotR for 5:25 (slow iPhone 7- messed me up with boarding groups every time). I didn't buy Genie+ and it turns out I didn't need it. (Yes, SDD and RotR were gone before park opened) Wait times weren't bad. Longest was RotR stand-by at near 2 hours. MMRR was never over 55 minutes which was down to 30 after I got off RotR at 6:00 PM. Decent day with a necessary ILL$ for Rise (nagging voice again - didn't this used to be free?)

Next day I headed for AK - Genie+ at 7AM grabbed LL for Navi River at 10:40. Got to the park close to 10 and checked to see if I could stack something- got Safari for 11:30. I could've kept going with Dinosaur & Bug LL but after seeing the gorillas my legs gave out. I can't handle EE or FoP so no ILL$. So, two LL's for $15.98. (yep- there's that nagging voice again). The lines weren't bad that day except for Navi River, so I paid $15 for that one (nagging voice)

After trying it- I don't see it's value for me- a local with AP. If I was spending all day at MK then yeah I might try it again. If stay-cationing at a resort and I want to do RotR then maybe. I'm doing a day trip to Epcot this week, and with my lack of luck with boarding groups I'll try an ILL$ for Remy- even with that nagging voice.
IMHO- I'm not a fan.

Going to HS Fri. Plan to try for ROR and Smugglers around 11-12 each, at 7, staying onsite. We wont get to the park til about 1030. My plan is get one after using one. Only trying for those, Mania, TOT and RRRC. Hopefully doable around 1230 lunch and 330 droid. 530 dinner elsewhere.

Saw this on another post and these are my thoughts exactly about Genie+......

People will figure it out that this system doesnt work.....when its slower, it's 100% not necessary and when it's busy, it's 100% not worth it.....

People that book resort stays several times a year (like me and my family) want to know we are getting on the high profile rides.......I would never pay $1k a night for a deluxe room if there was a chance i couldnt get on FOP or ROTR without waiting over 2 hours (which happened to me this trip), while getting up at 6:50am, while having my face buried in my phone all day.....

Its just not a vacation if I have to do that and I wont pay for that and my guess is a lot of others wont either

my edit - I want to know if i book a trip to WDW and spend $15k after room, food, tickets, etc that I am guaranteed to get on the rides i want without waiting 2+ hours.....

Are you saying the fix should be that people can't start scheduling LLs unless they are IN the parks? If someone is paying $15 for the service (per person!), why shouldn't they be able to use it every 2 hours just like anyone else? People with large groups, people who want to enjoy their breakfast or resort, people who paid for a full day ticket but are traveling/arriving on one of those days.... ALL may not be entering the parks until later in the day.
This is how MP was at DLR. You could not book until you (and every one of your party who wanted to book a FP) had scanned into the park (could be either park if you had a PH and then you could book FPs in either park even though you had only scanned into one). There were pluses and minuses to this system as well.

Used G+ at HS yesterday. Knew fairly well what to do. Problem mainly was this: at 630 I started trying to purchase. There was never a purple banner anywher to buy. There was one but it only showed photo lenses, etc. I uninstalled app, chatted with CM who had no info, used 2 phones, Apple and Android. Nothing. So at 7 had to jump on the Smugglers which was my plan, but go thru the purchase G+ steps which of course slowed things down. Second time with problem purchasing G+ same problem. We are local AP so probably wont use it very often at all, but the fact that this screwed up LL and then also ILL problem-- put layer of stress on day that sure didnt need.

We have already decided we won’t be using Genie, Genie+ or ILL. Not this trip, not next trip, maybe only when toddler grandkids are with us, if ever. We are teetering on dumping DVC with all these stressful things, and just buying more Marriott, which offers so much more relaxation without killing the wallet while on vacation! So, we decided to forgo the stress of the new system ( I really miss paper FP’s!), and see if we can still find some anticipation of going to WDW (have zero right now and leaving for it in a few days), some excitement when there and maybe a little magic. If not, we will come home and start the research on dumping a bunch of contracts.

We made some dining reservations, which some of were 2nd choices due to demand not allowing us in 1st choice/times places. Ridiculous that you can’t even eat when and where you want without the stress of pre-planning and HOPING that works out, as well as 2 park reservations. We have complimentary 2 day hoppers so we will do EPCOT without waking at dawn to try for Remy’s, the stress of trying is just not worth it to us anymore. Then AKP ( our second favorite park) to hang out with monkeys, giraffe and gorillas. If we can’t get on FOP or Everest, so be it. that approximate $60 can be spent on some nice libations! I do hope to be able to hop to MK to see nighttime show, but that’s all I’m really looking to do, so if we can’t get in, I’ll be ticked off. After we use these passes, no parks again til kids and grandkids are with us, and that’s if we don’t sell.

We’ve been members for 22 years, and I’m actually starting to look forward to using my home resort as a place to stay and venturing elsewhere in Florida. We have friends there and want to hit the coastal towns too. We don’t mind day trips or mid trip overnighters to other FL destinations. Disney was always the only place we ever wanted to be while in FL, but now they’re making it so easy to actually look forward to NOT being there!

We are going to take it for what it is now and see where we end up.
Dee

Used G+ at HS yesterday. Knew fairly well what to do. Problem mainly was this: at 630 I started trying to purchase. There was never a purple banner anywher to buy. There was one but it only showed photo lenses, etc. I uninstalled app, chatted with CM who had no info, used 2 phones, Apple and Android. Nothing. So at 7 had to jump on the Smugglers which was my plan, but go thru the purchase G+ steps which of course slowed things down. Second time with problem purchasing G+ same problem. We are local AP so probably wont use it very often at all, but the fact that this screwed up LL and then also ILL problem-- put layer of stress on day that sure didnt need.
By any chance were you traveling with someone who had a regular ticket with G+ already included? I have seen other reports of this issue with no resolution other than the steps you described (ie. purchasing G+ for the AP at 7, putting them behind others trying to make LL selections at the same time). I hope that Disney is able to figure this out and make some updates to the app.

By any chance were you traveling with someone who had a regular ticket with G+ already included? I have seen other reports of this issue with no resolution other than the steps you described (ie. purchasing G+ for the AP at 7, putting them behind others trying to make LL selections at the same time). I hope that Disney is able to figure this out and make some updates to the app.

I was actually. We are AP and was with 2 day passes I had purchased G+ for a few weeks ago. But in Nov when just us AP went I had the same problem. After about 15 minutes of trying the banner seemed to pop up. My plan is when we go in Jan, not planning to buy G+ but when in park will show problem to guest services and see what they say. Of course at that time it will probably show, so wont be able to reproduce the problem.

Can you buy Genie+ and ILL for only some people in your party?

We have a package booked with four people, but one doesn’t like roller coasters so it’s not worth it in some parks (or ILL for coasters). Can we just book it for 3 of 4 people on our package?

The system is a failure for us. The app is so buggy that I've contemplated calling Terminix. It crashes. It won't load, it keeps defaulting to parks I'm not in or days other than today. If doesn't give you G+ or Ills times you think you're booking.

Lightning Lame indeed.

Even if everything worked as it should, Genie+ still stinks because:

1) you have to wake up before 7am EVERY day
2) you are on your phone A LOT
3) you cannot choose return times, conflicting with dining ressies and park hopping
4) cant pre book
5) no guarantee of being able to get on the headliners without waiting 2 hours while im paying $1k+ a night for a hotel room
6) its expensive
7) theres not enough inventory on busy days (only times we can go b kids in school)

Even if everything worked as it should, Genie+ still stinks because:

1) you have to wake up before 7am EVERY day
2) you are on your phone A LOT
3) you cannot choose return times, conflicting with dining ressies and park hopping
4) cant pre book
5) no guarantee of being able to get on the headliners without waiting 2 hours while im paying $1k+ a night for a hotel room
6) its expensive
7) theres not enough inventory on busy days (only times we can go b kids in school)

Winner winner!

So super interesting....I just got a survey from universal orlando and the entire survey was all about Disney fast pass+ and genie+/individual lightning lane.

I wonder if the other theme parks will try a similar business model or keep what they have.

I personally like universal systems better then the current disney money grab so I hope this business model doesn't become a theme park standard outside of Disney.

So super interesting....I just got a survey from universal orlando and the entire survey was all about Disney fast pass+ and genie+/individual lightning lane.

I wonder if the other theme parks will try a similar business model or keep what they have.

I personally like universal systems better then the current disney money grab so I hope this business model doesn't become a theme park standard outside of Disney.
Universal sent you a survey about Disney? I'm not doubting you but that seems really strange....How would they know you went to Disney? Can you put a copy of it in here?

People will figure it out that this system doesnt work.....when its slower, it's 100% not necessary and when it's busy, it's 100% not worth it.....

People that book resort stays several times a year (like me and my family) want to know we are getting on the high profile rides.......I would never pay $1k a night for a deluxe room if there was a chance i couldnt get on FOP or ROTR without waiting over 2 hours (which happened to me this trip), while getting up at 6:50am, while having my face buried in my phone all day.....

Its just not a vacation if I have to do that and I wont pay for that and my guess is a lot of others wont either

my edit - I want to know if i book a trip to WDW and spend $15k after room, food, tickets, etc that I am guaranteed to get on the rides i want without waiting 2+ hours.....
Whats so funny?

I *absolutely* agree with you. We don't typically go at super high crowd times, but wouldn't you think this system should work BEST at those times?

We typically stay longer, and we stay deluxe (by renting DVC, so while it does make it more affordable, it is still costly). And I would be willing to pay for Genie+/LL ..... IF it actually worked and made my vacation feel like a VACATION. It's not a question of shortening our stay or cutting expenses elsewhere to afford the additional fees - it's a question of paying more for something that is actually going to make my vacation feel more stressful and less like a vacation. We are not local. We pay to fly our family there and back. And we pay a crap ton of money to do it. Disney IS a vacation to my family, and for the amount of money we spend on that vacation, I expect it to feel like one. The fact is that with fastpass+, our longer stays were worth the money because it meant we would get our 3 fastpasses a day, plan them ahead of time, and take WDW at a pace that felt relaxing and fun for us, instead of a whirlwind of stress and frustration. I will give this a try - once - but as much as I love Disney, I'm not someone to keep coming back (and paying a premium) for an experience that doesn't meet my standards. I'm not so dedicated to Disney that I'll put up with anything they throw at me. That massive vacation budget that goes to Disney could inarguably go a lot farther pretty much anywhere else....

Today we paid for G+ and only got on 2 rides with it. We paid for RotR and had to ride standby on Slinky, star tours, MMRR.

We will never buy Genie+ again. We will continue to give our $$ to Touring Plans. Their wait times are much more accurate and we were able to avoid most crowds and have standby waits that were tolerable.

I *absolutely* agree with you. We don't typically go at super high crowd times, but wouldn't you think this system should work BEST at those times?

We typically stay longer, and we stay deluxe (by renting DVC, so while it does make it more affordable, it is still costly). And I would be willing to pay for Genie+/LL ..... IF it actually worked and made my vacation feel like a VACATION. It's not a question of shortening our stay or cutting expenses elsewhere to afford the additional fees - it's a question of paying more for something that is actually going to make my vacation feel more stressful and less like a vacation. We are not local. We pay to fly our family there and back. And we pay a crap ton of money to do it. Disney IS a vacation to my family, and for the amount of money we spend on that vacation, I expect it to feel like one. The fact is that with fastpass+, our longer stays were worth the money because it meant we would get our 3 fastpasses a day, plan them ahead of time, and take WDW at a pace that felt relaxing and fun for us, instead of a whirlwind of stress and frustration. I will give this a try - once - but as much as I love Disney, I'm not someone to keep coming back (and paying a premium) for an experience that doesn't meet my standards. I'm not so dedicated to Disney that I'll put up with anything they throw at me. That massive vacation budget that goes to Disney could inarguably go a lot farther pretty much anywhere else....

We just got back and this 1000%. It is our first Disney trip in over a decade where I feel like I need another vacation after my vacation.

From everything I've read about genie+ it seems like it's a failure and it's unlikely we try it. I could see potentially giving in for ILL$ for a few rides though.

Hopefully they listen to guest feedback and change Genie+.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter