Disney Flip Side Contest Winner--September 2015 Trip Report

jlmlodzik

Earning My Ears
INTRODUCTION:
Welcome to my thread and thank you for joining me as I recount our September 27-October 2 Disney Flip Side Contest Trip! :) As I'm sure you can imagine, we had an amazingly magical trip which will be difficult to ever top and it is my intention to share it all with you!

If you are interested in checking out how we won our magical once-in-a-lifetime vacation and have a look inside some of our planning process, please check out my Pre-Trip Plan here:
http://disboards.com/threads/disney-flip-side-contest-winner-september-2015-pre-trip-report.3433632/

A quick overview:
  • TRAVEL DATES: September 27-October 2
  • TRAVELING PARTY: Me, DH, DS (11) and DD (8)
  • ACCOMMODATIONS: Art of Animation--Cars Family Suite (Arrival Night), Wilderness Lodge, and one night in the Cinderella Castle Suite (mid-trip)
  • TICKETS: Water Parks Fun and More 5-day tickets; MNSSHP tickets for September 27
  • PLACES VISITED: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Disney Springs
  • DINING: Pinocchio Village Haus, Landscape of Flavors, Electric Umbrella, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Tusker House, Restaurantosaurus, Columbia Harbour House, Cinderella's Royal Table, Be Our Guest Restaurant, Roaring Fork, 'Ohana, Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant, Garden Grill, Beaches and Cream
  • OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS: Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Coming Up:
DAY ONE: September 27, 2015

Last edited:
PREVIOUSLY ON THIS THREAD:
INTRODUCTION

DAY ONE: September 27, 2015

I always enjoy planning our trips almost as much as actually taking them and always try to nail down every little detail. This trip afforded me a little more relaxation and spontaneity as it was truly an extra trip that I wasn't paying to take (well . . . mostly wasn't paying to take). Don't get me wrong, I still had all of our dining reservations secured at 180 days out, FP+s secured at 60 days out, and touring plans created; however, I only planned to follow them loosely. Let's not go crazy here. Hahaha! Thank GOODNESS that this was my approach as our first day didn't go exactly according to my plans . . . .

A couple of days before our departure, my daughter was diagnosed with Strep Throat. :crazy2: Luckily, we have an amazing pediatrician and at my request, she prescribed some stronger antibiotics to knock it out quickly. By departure day, my DD was already feeling almost 100% better and we were only praying that none of the rest of us would come down with it (we didn't--Praise the Lord!).

A day before our departure, I attempted to check-in for our flight online and was unable to do so. I called Southwest to find out what was going on. The representative kept telling me she couldn't find our booking anywhere and that I would need to show up early to the airport to fly standby, asking me what credit card I used to book the flight (which I didn't--we won the vacation), etc. and needless to say, I was freaking out with our departure less than 24 hours away. We finally spoke with a representative that was able to pinpoint the issue: I had called a few months prior and switched my return flight to a later time and apparently, even though the representative I had spoken with assured me that there were no change fees and the switch was completed in the system, this was incorrect information. The flight which we were originally booked to take was a nonstop flight and I switched to a flight with a plane change in HOU. Since we were taking two planes now, I needed to pay an additional $112 in taxes and since this was never collected we were never booked on this flight! YIKES! I paid my $112 and we were booked. PHEW!

We started the day with a 3:30 a.m. departure from our home for our 6 a.m. flight out of AUS. In my infinite wisdom (haha), I believed this to be an amazing departure time because we would arrive at MCO around 1 p.m. Orlando time, relax at Art of Animation for a bit (maybe grab a bite to eat and take a dip in the pool), get ready for our evening, and shoot for an arrival around 4 p.m. at Magic Kingdom for MNSSHP.
Family arriving at AUS airport

The first curveball thrown at this plan showed up on my smartphone as we were traveling to ATL from AUS. I checked the Southwest Airlines app to find this little gem:
Southwest Airlines Flight Status
A 3-HOUR DELAY for our ATL to MCO flight!!! YIKES! As we were already scheduled for a 2-hour layover in Atlanta, we were now looking at a 5-hour layover in the Atlanta airport. Not magical. We made the most of our time by eating lunch and checking out the nearby gift shops in our terminal and playing games and reading (thank goodness for smart phones, tablets, and e-readers). We experienced no further flight issues and arrived at MCO around 3:15 p.m. and we were determined to celebrate the bright side--our hotel room was ready! :)
Outside our hotel room
Our room number

We stayed in room 1511 of Disney's Art of Animation Resort in a Cars Family Suite for the first night of our vacation. This was an extra night that I booked in addition to the trip that we won so that we could use our 5-day Water Park Fun and More tickets to their fullest. I also booked the MNSSHP tickets as an add-on. I should have taken pictures of the room. And the view from our room. The truth is . . . we were just so late and in such a hurry to get to MK for our evening that we didn't take the time. You can find photos of this resort all over the place with internet search engines if you are interested. :) We typically stay in value resorts at WDW and this was quite a step up. There was a lot of room and the two bathrooms were a great addition to this resort. The theming was really fun and colorful and the kiddos loved the novelty of the pull-down murphy bed. The picture I linked to above of my DS and DD by Doc Hudson was the view through the window of our room. We were on the first floor and very close to The Big Blue Pool and the Lobby/Food Court/Bus Stop.

Once we were changed into our MNSSHP gear, we headed out to MK. We arrived at MK around 5:45 p.m. and had already missed our 4-5 p.m. FP+. We picked up our wristbands for MNSSHP, our trick-or-treat bags, our special L.E. MNSSHP Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards, and headed to our 5-6 p.m. FP+, The Barnstormer. This is one of my DS's favorites. On our way there, the sky OPENED UP. You know, we are all aware that it rains almost every day in Orlando and we all bring our ponchos in our backpacks every day of our trips in preparation. However, this was not a short, Orlando shower. This was a downpour and even our ponchos could not save our feet from getting completely soaked through to our socks and getting completely drenched. And unfortunately, the rain didn't ever let up that evening. Needless to say, the Barnstormer was closed by the time we got there and we weren't ever able to ride it that evening. We took refuge on the TTA, one of our family favorites, and then used our anytime FP+ with Rider Switch for Space Mountain (I rode with DS and then DH rode with DS), visited Ariel in her grotto, rode the Mad Tea Party and when the rain let up for about 30 minutes, we rode Dumbo the Flying Elephant.
Me and DS on Space Mountain
DH and DS on Space Mountain
Me and DD with Ariel
Me and DD on Mad Tea Party
DH and DS on Mad Tea Party
DS and DD in front of Dumbo the Flying Elephant

When it started to rain again, we ate dinner at Pinocchio Village Haus. This is one of our family favorites because they serve child favorites like chicken nuggets with fries and cheese pizza. The atmosphere is also fun as you have the opportunity to sit in tables overlooking It's A Small World. It's also a quick service dining location so you don't have some of the other "break-the-bank" pricing found at some of the table service locations. This is one I definitely recommend if you have picky eaters in the family and want something quick and affordable.

Once we were finished eating, we rode It's a Small World and then we had about 10 minutes until the start of the parade. It was sprinkling lightly, we were still soaked, and we were extremely tired from having been up and going since 3:30 a.m. The trick-or-treat lines still hadn't opened due to the rain and the park was extremely crowded and difficult to navigate especially given the closure of many outdoor rides. As such, we decided to head back to our hotel early. This was a difficult decision for me to make as we paid for the tickets to this party out of our own pocket and we had gone to MNSSHP in 2008 with our DS and loved it--the Boo to You parade and Happy Hallowishes fireworks are among our family's favorites. When it came down to it, though, we were no longer enjoying our time at the park. We were wet, our feet were feeling like they were about to blister (on day one) and we were tired and grouchy. We ultimately decided to cut our losses and head for the entrance before the crowds following the parade and fireworks got there first.

Once we arrived back at AoA, we immediately showered and went to bed in hopes of a better second day.

Coming up:
DAY TWO: September 28, 2015

Woohoo, first one here :dancer:I'm so glad that overall your trip was great, but that truly stinks about MNSSHP, which happens to be my absolute favorite event at WDW. We've been 4x and luckily have had perfect weather each time; it's just such a crap shoot :(
Isn't AoA gorgeous?? We stayed in a LM room last year but walked around the whole resort. I think the Cars area overall is the best themed.
Can't wait to read more!!

Joining! Looking forward to hearing about your Castle stay! (Wilderness Lodge is in my top 3 favourite Resorts, esp at Christmas;))

Following along! What a bummer about the 3 hour delay and the weather...boo! Glad you were happy with AoA...I love it there!

Joining in! So sorry to hear about the rough start delays and bad rain.... But really looking forward to hearing all about he amazing things to come!

First of all, congratulations on your amazing win! We were there the exact same dates as you. Arrived Sept 27 and left Oct 2. Stayed at POR. Boy oh boy, what a rain storm that was on that first night! We dubbed this vacation the raining buckets vacation because we spent a lot of it soaked. :crazy:

We didn't have tickets for that MNSSHP, on 9/27 (we went to the Oct 1 party) so we left MK close to party starting time. I remember seeing everyone dressed in their costumes and seeing all the little prirates and princesses getting drenched. I felt so bad for all you party goers. We also had been up for our flight in the 3 am area and were just dragging by 7pm, so I can't imagine how you guys felt.

I remember one night that week I was looking up at the castle and the lights were on in the castle suite. I told DD, "Somebody might be staying in the castle tonight." That might have been you guys! Anyhow, I'm looking forward to reading all about your magical trip!!! How exciting!

Congrats!! This is going to be a great trip report! Can't wait to read the rest and thank you for sharing.

I am so GLAD I found this thread! I have always wanted to know what it is like to win a Disney trip and you have the added bonus of staying a night in the CASTLE!!! WOO HOO!!!!

I just have to say that your photos of the first first night turned out great for having been through the huge downpour. I love the BIG smiles on your faces!

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures.

Following along :)

My family will be doing Disney at the end of this September so I'm anxious to hear about your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter