• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Executive Producer admits to actively trying to "add queerness" and a "not-at-all-secret gay agenda"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this thread will be closed before too long, but all I know is what you are told is a conspiracy today is often exposed to be the truth months down the line. The recordings are real, and it's not a new thing. Rufo is not a tinfoil hat idiot running around. He's well educated, a fellow at the Manhattan Institute (yes, it is a conservative think tank), and he's worked with a variety of well-established intellectuals. This isn't a new endeavor for him. People send him recordings from work meetings, etc, and he investigates.
He has a bachelor's degree. His career has involved work for right wing think tanks including one with the main purpose of opposing the theory of evolution. He is director of something called the initiative on critical race theory and has stated that critical race theory is an existential threat to America. Sorry, this biography does not qualify him as a well educated intellectual. It does qualify him to be a frequent guest on Tucker Carlson, which I have no doubt is the point.

I think this thread will be closed before too long, but all I know is what you are told is a conspiracy today is often exposed to be the truth months down the line. The recordings are real, and it's not a new thing. Rufo is not a tinfoil hat idiot running around. He's well educated, a fellow at the Manhattan Institute (yes, it is a conservative think tank), and he's worked with a variety of well-established intellectuals. This isn't a new endeavor for him. People send him recordings from work meetings, etc, and he investigates.

They need to be squarely in the mainstream because their business model is based on volume and universal appeal.
A few decades ago, it was "mainstream" to arrest consenting adults for being gay, and to require people who didn't have white skin to enter through separate doors and use different water fountains. I'm okay with Disney erring on the side of progressive, since the way they're doing it is improving inclusivity and isn't hurting anyone. If I have to weigh the disappointment of a little girl not being called princess by a complete stranger versus a child feeling unseen and marginalized and wrong because they continually do not see themselves represented in media, the latter is going to tip the scales for me every time.

A few decades ago, it was "mainstream" to arrest consenting adults for being gay, and to require people who didn't have white skin to enter through separate doors and use different water fountains. I'm okay with Disney erring on the side of progressive, since the way they're doing it is improving inclusivity and isn't hurting anyone. If I have to weigh the disappointment of a little girl not being called princess by a complete stranger versus a child feeling unseen and marginalized and wrong because they continually do not see themselves represented in media, the latter is going to tip the scales for me every time.
If Disney is serious about their moral stance about life, then they need to stop doing business with China's government who enslaves and destroys a whole population of people. Not cool. Also, stop doing business and going to countries where being gay is actually a crime and is not accepted in any means. Don't be hypocritical, Disney - that's my motto for most things in life.

If Disney is serious about their moral stance about life, then they need to stop doing business with China's government who enslaves and destroys a whole population of people. Not cool. Also, stop doing business and going to countries where being gay is actually a crime and is not accepted in any means. Don't be hypocritical, Disney - that's my motto for most things in life.
That's a valid point, but I'm not going to let perfect be the enemy of better, either. We can applaud the steps they take while also noting they should go further.

Yes, I was loose with my choice of words when I said "nobody."

My point is, it's generally used in small circles among young, college-educated progressives, particularly when it comes to gender issues as opposed to sexuality. If you asked random moderate mother-of-two in Ohio, she'd understand what you mean when you say you're a lesbian. If you told her you were omnigender or demigender or gendervoid, she'd look at you like you had six heads.

I'm not making a claim as to whether that's good, bad, or indifferent, but it is what it is. Disney can't survive as a niche progressive entertainment company, nor could they survive as a right wing entertainment company. They need to be squarely in the mainstream because their business model is based on volume and universal appeal.

Society evolves morally. Go back to when Disney was created and something like "lesbian" wasn't truly a thing in the mainstream. Disney embraces it today with a 5th key.

Disney has always been slow to adapt to modern society. Their looks guideline for employees were sexist and discriminatory until about 5 years ago.

Until recent times they were fine promoting a conservative message, which was ironic because the employee base as a whole is much more progressive and modern.

Society evolves morally. Go back to when Disney was created and something like "lesbian" wasn't truly a thing in the mainstream. Disney embraces it today with a 5th key.

Disney has always been slow to adapt to modern society. Their looks guideline for employees were sexist and discriminatory until about 5 years ago.

Until recent times they were fine promoting a conservative message, which was ironic because the employee base as a whole is much more progressive and modern.
I love going to Disney, so honestly, I'm going to keep going. However, I am a facts person. Where are the stats on the political or lifestyle choices of their employees? Is it just hearsay? I have also read articles that indicate there are people who just want to do their jobs, but don't agree with Disney talking about this legislation. I would like some actual numbers.

I don't know if you will ever get actual numbers because I don't think a lot of people would feel comfortable or be honest talking about their politics at work, especially if they felt it would jeopardize their employment. I certainly don't discuss my specific beliefs at work.

I don't know what to tell you, they've already done this. A cast member cannot look at your daughter and say "good morning princess" anymore because they're not allowed to assume that your daughter WANTS to be called princess.
Recently my niece and I both celebrated birthdays at Disney, and both wore pins and tiaras. We were called princesses, birthdays girls, these lovely ladies, etc more times than I can count. I don’t think Disney is policing things as much as people like to think and say they are.

Banning cast members from saying "boys and girls" or calling your daughter "princess" isn't inclusive, it's just insane.
I don’t think this is true. In fact if it’s true multiple cast members were breaking the rules on our last trip. We were just there less than two weeks ago. My adult LGBTQ Awesome DD disney bounded as Rapunzel and was called Princess by at least a dozen cast members.

As for switching from ladies and gentlemen boys and girls I personally like dreamers of all ages! It sounds more magical!

Attachments

• 801CAE9E-455B-4F60-B313-19D6C588C885.jpeg
    801CAE9E-455B-4F60-B313-19D6C588C885.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 27
If I have to weigh the disappointment of a little girl not being called princess by a complete stranger
I think you are misunderstanding what Disney does for their guests. The Disney Parks are intended to be theatrical productions where guests, especially children, can live out their fantasies to some extent.

In a Disney park, children can be princesses and princes if they want. A child's fantasy should be recognized and acknowledged by the Cast Members. Please, let's not take that away from them.

I'm not talking about tolerance and acceptance, of course Disney should be welcoming to everyone.

I'm just making a point on the numbers. Even in a hypothetical perfect progressive utopia where everyone is 100% accepting of everyone else, the vast majority of people (and an even higher percentage of prepubescent children) will still sort themselves into the traditional gender binary. Most people identify as men and women, boys and girls.

Analogy... You're hosting a wedding with 100 guests. Two of them are vegetarians and the rest of them want steak. The "backwards" thing to do would be to only serve beef and force the vegetarians to either eat it or go hungry. The inclusive thing to do would be to offer a vegetarian option, but still serve beef to the people who want it. Disney has chosen to take the steak off the menu entirely, serve the vegetarian meal to everyone, and strongly imply that anyone unhappy with the elimination of the meat option is a bigot.

I love going to Disney, so honestly, I'm going to keep going. However, I am a facts person. Where are the stats on the political or lifestyle choices of their employees? Is it just hearsay? I have also read articles that indicate there are people who just want to do their jobs, but don't agree with Disney talking about this legislation. I would like some actual numbers.

I don't know if you will ever get actual numbers because I don't think a lot of people would feel comfortable or be honest talking about their politics at work, especially if they felt it would jeopardize their employment. I certainly don't discuss my specific beliefs at work.

Go work there for a bit. Your front line worker at Disney is both more diverse and more accepting. As you move up the ranks and into the offices, that tends to change. It's actually a very interesting parallel to society. It also speaks to the Disney marketing and content over the years. Disney sold generations on the fact that anyone can be a princess, a prince, a hero, or really anything they want. As such those generations grew up and came to work for Disney because they were taught it was an accepting place.

Recently my niece and I both celebrated birthdays at Disney, and both wore pins and tiaras. We were called princesses, birthdays girls, these lovely ladies, etc more times than I can count. I don’t think Disney is policing things as much as people like to think and say they are.

I don’t think this is true. In fact if it’s true multiple cast members were breaking the rules on our last trip. We were just there less than two weeks ago. My adult LGBTQ Awesome DD disney bounded as Rapunzel and was called Princess by at least a dozen cast members.

As for switching from ladies and gentlemen boys and girls I personally like dreamers of all ages! It sounds more magical!
Could be. Maybe the rule is something like "if someone is dressed up in a costume/dress/crown/tiara then it's okay to call them princess," almost like the guest is opting in with their attire, but for girls who just show up in shorts and a t-shirt, they wouldn't? This is also all very new so it's possible the training just hasn't filtered through the system yet.

Could be. Maybe the rule is something like "if someone is dressed up in a costume/dress/crown/tiara then it's okay to call them princess," almost like the guest is opting in with their attire, but for girls who just show up in shorts and a t-shirt, they wouldn't? This is also all very new so it's possible the training just hasn't filtered through the system yet.
That should have always been the rule. Not every female wants to be identified as Princess. If they are dressed for it (tiara, princess outfit, something else signaling they are participating) sure call them Princess but not ever female wants that.

I don't know what to tell you, they've already done this. A cast member cannot look at your daughter and say "good morning princess" anymore because they're not allowed to assume that your daughter WANTS to be called princess.
Thank goodness for that!

That should have always been the rule. Not every female wants to be identified as Princess. If they are dressed for it (tiara, princess outfit, something else signaling they are participating) sure call them Princess but not ever female wants that.
99 out of 100 four year old girls want to be called Princess. Why are you concerned more about the 1 than the 99?

Ironically, gay male cast members have always been the ones who have created the best magical "princess" moments for my daughters.

99 out of 100 four year old girls want to be called Princess. Why are you concerned more about the 1 than the 99?

Ironically, gay male cast members have always been the ones who have created the best magical "princess" moments for my daughters.
Then those 99 can dress in a way that signals they want to be called Princess.

And it’s ironic only because some how those amazing cast members are the ones whose stories you think the company shouldn’t focus on telling. They deserve to see themselves represented too.

And it’s ironic only because some how those amazing cast members are the ones whose stories you think the company shouldn’t focus on telling.
Aaaaand I'm done. I'm happy to debate and disagree but I won't have my views mischaracterized. I never said any such thing.

Thank you, @Princesca, for debating honestly without twisting my words or accusing me of saying things I didn't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter