Disney during Thanksgiving week

Disney721

Earning My Ears
We are planning our second trip to Disney. Our first trip was 4 years ago in February. We are planning on going Thanksgiving week. November 21st- November 27th and we are planning on staying at Art of Animation in the Little Mermaid room. Now to my questions. How busy are the parks the week of Thanksgiving? Is it likely that there will be either a free dining promotion or a 30% off hotel room at this time? If we stay at Art of Animation is this hotel included in the promotions? Last but not least is there any holiday related shows or events I should look into? Thank you so much for answering my questions!!

Osborne Lights will be running at DHS, Epcot will have Candlelight Processional and storytellers starting the day after Thanksgiving. No Christmas parties during that particular week at MK however.

We went during Thanksgiving week last year. We expected crowds but honestly it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. We did AK on Thanksgiving day and went to DTD for dinner. The day after Thanksgiving and Sat was probably the worst. Sunday was much better (we didn't leave until Monday). We did the holiday party at MK and it wasn't terribly crowded. Not as fun as the Halloween party though. Osborne lights are amazing and we went back twice to see them. The weather drove us crazy. It was warm, then it would rain and get cold. And we are from Ohio so we are used to cold. But the weather was so unpredictable it was crazy trying to pack. We had shorts, jeans, hats gloves, etc. It was the first time we took a backpack into the parks because we wanted to be prepared for the crazy weather.

Good time of year to go, IMO, lighter crowds, cooler temps, and maybe you get out of hosting the meal for that year, lol. We did it once as a change of pace and really enjoyed it. At the time it fit into where we were as a family. We didn't have Thanksgiving at our home, as we do now, and we werent parents yet so it was really fun to do. Now, we would still enjoy going but the decision would involve a few more people and other plans would be altered for our relatives. This isn't always a big deal but as I said it was really fun to do.

WE went Thanksgiving week two years ago. It was busy over the Thanksfiving weekend, but slowed down the Monday after. The decoations were up and the Osbourne Lights open, the Party up and running. Aslo as someone else posted, the Candlelught Processional was ongoing as was the Illuminations Holiday add on. It was really a great time to visit!

The Little Mermaid rooms are not included for free dining promotions or room only discounts.. only the family suites are included.

Thanksgiving week is often blacked out for free dining in general since they aren't trying to fill up empty rooms. We went a few years ago and found that the days leading up to Thanksgiving were not too crowded. Thanksgiving, the Friday and Saturday were much more crowded.
(We had Thanksgiving dinner at Biergarten and it was one of the best times we ever had!)

Don't have much to add except we went down on Thanksgiving day 2012 and stayed for 10 days. As JenLynn said, Fri. and Sat. after were pretty crazy but then it got much, much better. This year we're headed down the 20th-28th so we'll be right there with ya! I expect crowds to steadily increase as it gets closer to Thanksgiving and plan on being in either AK or HS on Thanksgiving day. We've seen Osborne Lights a # of times and those you shouldn't miss :thumbsup2 The Holiday Storytellers in WS at EPCOT are interesting, but they won't start until the 27th so you may miss them.

We went last year during this time frame. We arrived the Saturday prior to Thanksgiving and our children arrived Monday night. We were just discussing crowds and wait times. We all came to the conclusion that we didn't wait more than 30 minutes for any ride. Of course, we had made our 3 fp+ prior to arriving which I think is a must for the headliner rides. We were also able to get a 4th I know at MK on Wednesday before thanksgiving. We toured AK and did HDDR on Thanksgiving. I remember that free dining ended for November the Thursday prior to the week of Thanksgiving. We loved this week and would not hesitate going back. As others have mentioned the weather can be anything and everything. Just pack wisely. Hope this helps!

We stayed almost those exact dates this past Thanksgiving in a LM room. I thought it was crazy crowded, but I hadn't been to Disney in a few years, so maybe it's the new normal. Like others said, there were no promotions that week, and it bothered me how much I could be saving if I went one week later. My kids would have missed only one extra day of school.

Having said that, it was beautiful seeing the decorations, and a decent strategy will help you make the most of it. We got to do just about everything we wanted to do by planning well in advance. We skipped the parks on Thanksgiving day and did DTD, BBB at DTD, and Hoop Dee Doo. In between we just chilled and enjoyed being with family we rarely spend holidays with. It wasn't terrible, just very crowded.

I just wouldn't go over a holiday like that again personally, but I don't regret experiencing it once either.

Several years ago my family left on Sunday before and stayed through Saturday after Thanksgiving. The start of the week was really nice,, not too crowded but as the week wore on the crowds grew! It was really cool to see some of the Christmas decorations going up while we were there. Of all the days Thanksgiving week, I think Thanksgiving day and "black Friday" were the most crowded. (and the weather is crazy!!)

We've been the week of and the week after (twice). The week after is my favorite as the crowds thin out and the world is all decorated for Christmas. Santa is even there for visits (DTD or MK).

The week of Thanksgiving, I'd expect no discounts or specials for the entire trip. As stated previously, the crowds build towards the weekend. Plan on getting to some of the "must do's" early in the week and be flexible at the end. It's cooler but not cold and you might catch a couple of warm days. Christmas magic and Disney together are hard to beat.

We will be going back to WDW for Thanksgiving this year. We were there a few years ago and had a great experience. We also did AK on Thanksgiving Day, and crowds were very light. We had no waits for anything. We didn't make an ADR and just enjoyed an amazing dinner at Flame Tree, sitting outside in the perfect 80-degree weather. One of our favorite Thanksgiving memories. Crowds were definitely noticeable on Friday and Saturday. By Monday and Tuesday, it was pretty quiet.

This year, we'll be arriving the Friday before Thanksgiving and leaving Thanksgiving night or on Friday. We plan to avoid the Friday/Saturday post-holiday crowd. We've flown on Thanksgiving Day the past few years, and I could definitely get used to the complete lack of airport crowds.

We went in 2011 from the Sat before to the Sat after. This year it will be the Fri before to the Sun after. We did AK on the big day and it was not too bad. This year since we are staying part of the time at AKL we are thinking about going to AK on Wed and relaxing at the resort on Thurs and having dinner at Boma.

We are planning our second trip to Disney. Our first trip was 4 years ago in February. We are planning on going Thanksgiving week. November 21st- November 27th and we are planning on staying at Art of Animation in the Little Mermaid room. Now to my questions. How busy are the parks the week of Thanksgiving? Is it likely that there will be either a free dining promotion or a 30% off hotel room at this time? If we stay at Art of Animation is this hotel included in the promotions? Last but not least is there any holiday related shows or events I should look into? Thank you so much for answering my questions!!

Take time to resort hop. Hopefully all of the decorations will be up especially at GF, WL, AKL, BC, YC, BW. Maybe Poly and CR. Osbourne Lights are amazing. I have seen them twice and both times spent a few hours. Be sure to get hot chocolate or cider and cupcakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter