• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dream adult only area drinks harassment?

Never had issues, not in the adult pool area nor in the bars when going there for activities. As flcruising says: spa services are a whole different story. Very hard upsell of products but also refusing daypasses for Rainforest and trying to sell length of cruise passes until you walk away and then all of a sudden they are willing to 'make an exception'

Also never been asked twice about a drink. I do wonder whether they might be persistent if the lounge is getting full and folks are walking away when they see there are not enough seats. I'm not sure if the servers would be a bit annoyed at someone who was not ordering anything, but I doubt most would really act on it that way. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen a DCL lounge filled to capacity.

Attentive, never pestered. Sometimes we just say we are all set, if we think we may want something, even a soft drink or glass of water, we will ask them to check back in a bit. Napkin goes down. All good.

Never pestered here either. Will they ask you if you'd like anything? Yes. Is it possible a different cast member may come up not realizing you've already been asked? Sure. A simple no is all you have to say.

Pestering for me I think of Nassau with all the vendors in your face trying to sell you something. Personally, I don't think I'd consider anything on the cruise ship itself pestering. Even when they are trying to get a sale like with the coolers and such.

The cast members I also doubt are pressuring you for alcoholic beverages, they're also asking if you need anything for other things as well like water and such.

I cant recall ever being harassed. They will walk by and announce "bar service", but its never felt like they are talking directly to me. I'm usually laying down with my eyes closed anyway. ;)

That's why they usually put a napkin down, to indicate you've been asked.
What I was saying is that I'm sure there has been a case before where accidentally someone got asked again after already being asked once. Yes the napkin means that but I mean more in the case that someone got asked twice, I'm sure it was a mistake versus a cast member purposely trying to harass as guest.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel better about it now, my social anxiety just makes me hyper analyze everything which lead to my worrying! I'm so used to been an 'expert' at preparing for a WDW trip that I feel so underprepared for DCL in comparison.

I've never been pestered and last cruise I spent a fair built of time sitting in the lounges to finish a knitting project lol. Usually I'd be asked once and then if I did want something later on I just needed to flag them down. There was never any pressure or anything.

Hi. Just a question... Me and my sister (both adults) and our mum are going on the 11 night transatlantic sailing from Southampton to New York on the Disney Dream at the end of September this year. In preparation for this trip I was listening to some of the DCL podcasts and on one Erica mentioned how badly they were pestered by the wait staff constantly offering them drinks even when they had said no minutes beforehand. Now me and my sister don't drink alcohol and my mum won't be 'day drinking' as such so after hearing this on the podcast it made me worried that we will bugged by them all the time since they will see us without drinks and it will ruin our experience. We want to take advantage of the more peaceful adults only area and am worried this will ruin our trip experience as its such a long cruise.

Do you have any experience of this?
Is it as bad as she mentioned?
Do you have any suggestions to circumvent this problem? If needed I will make a sign and take it with me lol.
Any advice is welcomed! Thanks
As others have said, I've never had a problem with this. They approach, you decline and as others have said, they will put a napkin down to signal that you have been asked. They might circle back after an hour or so if you're still there. I've never had them pester us about drinks.

Will it even be necessary to spend a lot of time in the adults only area on an 11-day trans-Atlantic cruise in early September? I can't imagine that there will be very many children on that cruise. That's a lot of time to miss from the first few weeks of school, at least here in the States.

That said, we've never had any issues with being "pestered" by servers. DW and I love to go to the pub and sit at a table by a porthole and enjoy a cocktail or two while watching the sea go by. Servers generally only come by when we first sit down and then when we get their attention.

Will it even be necessary to spend a lot of time in the adults only area on an 11-day trans-Atlantic cruise in early September? I can't imagine that there will be very many children on that cruise. That's a lot of time to miss from the first few weeks of school, at least here in the States.

That said, we've never had any issues with being "pestered" by servers. DW and I love to go to the pub and sit at a table by a porthole and enjoy a cocktail or two while watching the sea go by. Servers generally only come by when we first sit down and then when we get their attention.
We are from the UK and yes it's school time here too so not sure how busy it will be, that's probably why we got such a good deal on the price. But wanting to be in the adult only area is more so for the comfier lounger and the hot tub rather than trying to avoid kids. When we want to watch the movie on the funnel screen and ride the water slide we will sit in the normal area.:-)

The only time we’ve felt “pestered” was on embarkation day when they’re trying to sell the packages. We were consistently and frequently offered the various water / beer / wine packages. Never otherwise though. If you stick around long enough you’ll get asked a few times, but it always felt normal and just polite service to us.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel better about it now, my social anxiety just makes me hyper analyze everything which lead to my worrying! I'm so used to been an 'expert' at preparing for a WDW trip that I feel so underprepared for DCL in comparison.
Part of the beauty of DCL versus WDW is that you don't necessarily need to be uber prepared. Yes, of course there are things you need to do ahead of time, and if you want to get certain excursions or activities on board there is a bit of pre planning. But honestly, once you get on the ship it's very go with the flow. If you've got all your ducks in a row ahead of time, the ship is pretty stress-free (again, as prepared to WDW and all the things you may need to manage during days there).

All they do is ask if they can get you anything and if you say no, they move on. Unfortunately most people see value in someone always being there if you need a drink and would complain if nobody asked. Cant win either way

I also never felt pestered. I spent a ton of time in adults only because my dad is a smoker.

If I’m going to sit and enjoy my surroundings I frequently will ask for a number of waters that will fit the size of my group. I tip $1 for each water. I feel better about my taking space where they could be making a tip. Even though I probably pick a place that was quite to begin with. Usually someone in the group drinks the water, sometimes even someone else’s at the table. Occasionally a drink is ordered and I will search out my water server so they can catch the tip. They can offer coffee and soda if you’d like they’re able to bring any liquid.

On the subject of booze. Follow the happy hours. They come at all bars on different times. Some good savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter