Disney Dinning Plan

OLDNDRED

Earning My Ears
:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 Help!
Is it worth the $70 per day for a couple with no kids? We will probably not be doing Character meals, but would enjoy the other sit down dinning choices. Do you have to eat 3 big meals a day to make it work?

1991- off property
1994- Dixie Landings
1997- Dixie Landings

:badpc: :badpc:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We think it is. You really only have to eat one table service meal per day to make it worthwhile. Here's an example thats been posted previously:

For example, go to the Concourse Steakhouse and order a shrimp cocktail ( $8.99), an 8 oz. Filet Mignon ($ 27.99) , a cheesecake for dessert ($ 6.99), then add on a coffee for $ 1.75. Totals $ 45.72. Then add on the tip (15%--$7.00 and the Florida Tax around $3.00. Your total for that ONE meal is $55.72. For that day, you have paid only $35.00, and on top of the dinner you had for $ 55.72, for lunch you had a counter service for around $10 and a soft drink in the parks for $ 2.00. For the day, you got around $ 68.00 worth of food for $35.00.

We are adding on the Dining plan this year specifically looking at how much we spent last year. Food ran us around $100/day for DH and I when you factor in a sit down meal, a counter service meal, and snacks/drinks. This year we have the dining plan for $70 a day.

You have to think of your normal eating habits... if you usually only do Counter svc meals on the run, don't order appetizers or desserts at table service restaurants, or enjoy being more spontaneous (not being tied down by PS times, etc), the meal plan MIGHT not be a good fit for you.

Take a look at the menus on allearsnet.com and price out your normal choices. If you would spend more than $35 per day for your meals (tax and tip included), then the Dining plan is worth it. If not, then it may or may not be a good deal.

Do you want to eat at more TS restaurants as opposed to all CS? Do you want to be able to order anything on the menu, and not worry about price? Do you want to pre-pay your meals, so the cost is known? Are you okay with staying to a schedule of PS times for your TS meals? If so, give the Dining plan a try! If you don't like it, you will know not to do it in the future.

I think it is a great deal for adults. A plus is that guests will most likely order something they normally would not want to pay full price for, including appetizers and desserts.

Make sure you look at the restaurants that are included in the plan before you decide, since they are kind of limited. Also, if you are not big eaters, eating that way every day of your trip may be uncomfortable, and if towards the end of the trip you start skipping some things like appetizer or dessert, you may not end up getting your money's worth.

OLDNDRED said:
:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 Help!
Is it worth the $70 per day for a couple with no kids? We will probably not be doing Character meals, but would enjoy the other sit down dinning choices. Do you have to eat 3 big meals a day to make it work?

You don't get 3 big meals with MYW. You get one sitdown meal, one counter service meal and one snack. To make it work, you need to get the most out of the sitdown meal.

Am I right in that you can't get a discount on your room if you have the dining package? I've already got a AAA discount. Hopefully I'll get a code for an even better rate. WIll I lose that discount if I take the dining plan?

I personally look at it this way that even if I dont spend the whole amount I have a prepaid eating plan. I dont have to worry about charging or how much food might be. I have a husband who is pooh size lol and he eats a lot so I booked a sit down all you can eat buffet everynight so he can enjoy. I think it is a wonderful plan if not for the very reason it is paid for before I leave and dont have to worry about how much we would spend on food.
imho
Diane

dimoe said:
I personally look at it this way that even if I dont spend the whole amount I have a prepaid eating plan. I dont have to worry about charging or how much food might be. I have a husband who is pooh size lol and he eats a lot so I booked a sit down all you can eat buffet everynight so he can enjoy. I think it is a wonderful plan if not for the very reason it is paid for before I leave and dont have to worry about how much we would spend on food.
imho
Diane

Excellent point! One less thing to worry about.

I think it's a good idea. I also like the idea of not having to bring another $1000 just for food..it will be paid before we go.

MommyBoo! said:
Am I right in that you can't get a discount on your room if you have the dining package? I've already got a AAA discount. Hopefully I'll get a code for an even better rate. WIll I lose that discount if I take the dining plan?

You can combine the AAA discount with a MYW package, but you have to book the whole package through AAA, not Disney.

It sounds good in theory, but DH and I can usually split an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert and be STUFFED. Therefore by being on the dining plan we will have spent twice as much as we would have otherwise.

estnh said:
Then add on the tip (15%--$7.00...

I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. I have the dining plan also. The tip is PRE-PAID as well, correct? When we finish our meal, we get up and go, right? The last thing I want to do is not tip a CM! :blush:

Ness2289 said:
I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. I have the dining plan also. The tip is PRE-PAID as well, correct? When we finish our meal, we get up and go, right? The last thing I want to do is not tip a CM! :blush:

Yes, a 15% gratuity is included. However, when we use the plan, I think if the service is very good, I will leave a little extra. Also, if you have beer or wine, which are not covered by the plan, I think it would be necessary to leave a tip on that amount.

iwannabeminnie said:
It sounds good in theory, but DH and I can usually split an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert and be STUFFED. Therefore by being on the dining plan we will have spent twice as much as we would have otherwise.
You could share one credit per meal- and use the extra credits for more meals and Signature dining. That way you could sit down for up to two meals a day, and counter svc for one.

This is what I was thinking... I had GBS and CAN'T eat as much and we share meals...

The only thing would be... you can't share the buffet.

-p

I read that a couple people are saying $70 a per couple? Is there a discount? I was qted 79. Thanks!

The current price is $38.99/person for the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter